Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2022, 22:57   #106

Re: Driving with temporary registration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
You will not have to pay road tax in both states. You have 30 days to pay road tax in the destination state and register the car.
Phew! That’s really a relief to hear. Till now I was really worried. Wonder from where the bank person heard this rumor from?

Quote:
Also, you don't get a temp permit. You get temporary registration
Oops! my bad. Everyone calls it 'TP' hence I called it a temporary permit rather than temporary registration. Please excuse my noob mistake.

Quote:
Make sure the dealer enters the destination RTO correctly during temporary registration, this is important. You will not be able to register at any other RTO other than what you declare during temporary registration.

Lemme know if you have more questions.

Also, get in touch with your dealer's RTO agents at both the KA and in KL. They can help clarify to your bank guy
I have informed my dealer already about the destination RTO & I have asked him to be careful while entering the details. I hope he doesn’t make a mistake.

Yes, if there are any more doubts I will ask the dealer to connect me with their RTO agent. In Kerala, I have already spoken to an RTO agent who will help me with the registration process.

The bank will revert tomorrow afternoon, if everything checks out I will transfer the booking amount & block the car. Fingers crossed!

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th March 2022 at 16:30.
Old 18th March 2022, 14:31   #107
BHPian

Hi All. I have couple of questions. I had booked Grand i10 NIOS and car is already at showroom and I have done PDI too. Registration is done and I got SMS from Vahaan portal too with plate number.
Insurance stuff is done too as I took from dealer.

Now since today is holiday and sms from Vahaan came yesterday, how much time will it take for HSRP to come to dealer? The dealership told me that 90% I can get delivery this Sunday else will go to Monday.
I prefer getting Sunday as entire extended family is home so it makes everything easier.

The car has a TC number red sticker already on it. Can I take a delivery of the car with TC number plate? Not sure even the showroom will even allow.

Last edited by raksrules : 18th March 2022 at 14:33.
Old 18th March 2022, 14:39   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
The car has a TC number red sticker already on it. Can I take a delivery of the car with TC number plate? Not sure even the showroom will even allow.
Nothing to worry, you can drive without number plate. Temporary Registration is valid for 30 days.

If any cop questions, you can show him Tax Receipt and Registration Number Message from Vaahan to him...that should be enough to stop him from questioning further.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 14:41   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now since today is holiday and sms from Vahaan came yesterday, how much time will it take for HSRP to come to dealer? The dealership told me that 90% I can get delivery this Sunday else will go to Monday.
I prefer getting Sunday as entire extended family is home so it makes everything easier.

Not very sure about Mumbai, here in KA HSRP plates can take couple of days post car delivery. Collect road tax paid receipt and put "REGISTERED" sticker front and back. Car should be safe to drive. Incase you are stopped, show tax paid receipt and SMS you got from VAAHAN. Unless you have paid additional for temp. registration, the sticker you are seeing is not the actual temp reg and is invalid. Since you have paid road tax in full, SMS you got is for permanent registration.

Last edited by PrideRed : 18th March 2022 at 14:43.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 15:46   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Nothing to worry, you can drive without number plate. Temporary Registration is valid for 30 days.

If any cop questions, you can show him Tax Receipt and Registration Number Message from Vaahan to him...that should be enough to stop him from questioning further.
But as someone else mentioned, the TC sticker in front and back of car is not really legal right? So should I remove that TC ones and what do I replaced it with until HSRP comes?
I do hope HSRP comes before Sunday and I get delivery with it. But better to know what my options are.
Old 18th March 2022, 23:08   #111
BHPian

Quote:
But as someone else mentioned, the TC sticker in front and back of car is not really legal right? So should I remove that TC ones and what do I replaced it with until HSRP comes?
I do hope HSRP comes before Sunday and I get delivery with it. But better to know what my options are.
Dealer will remove the TC plates before handing over. TC (Red plates) cannot be used once the car is registered with permanent registration mark. Dealer will take a print out of your car's permanent registration number and paste it while giving delivery.

Hope you have already installed mParivaahan app which will show the details and you can show it to cops if needed. You can take delivery with this and can get the HSRP fitted at dealer once it comes. It is also quite fast and will come within 3 working days.

Though there is a rule that new car is not allowed to be delivered without HSRP plates, it is seldom enforced for a reasonable time frame, so may be till 7 days. If you want to be careful, please get the HSRP application details from your dealer and keep a printout.

Congratulations on your new car and wishing you many many safe miles ahead!!!

Last edited by thanixravindran : 18th March 2022 at 23:10.
thanixravindran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 01:19   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post

Hope you have already installed mParivaahan app which will show the details and you can show it to cops if needed.
I have the mParivahaan app installed where I have DL. With respect to the car, is something supposed to appear automatically in the app or I have to do something? If I have to then what?
Old 20th March 2022, 13:28   #113
BHPian

Quote:
I have the mParivahaan app installed where I have DL. With respect to the car, is something supposed to appear automatically in the app or I have to do something? If I have to then what?
Yes, you can create Virtual RC by entering your vehicle details in the same way as that of Virtual Driving License.
Old 20th March 2022, 18:12   #114
BHPian

Thanks for all the answers everyone. Luckily, HSRP was received by the dealer yesterday and today we took the delivery of our car with a proper number plate installed.
On a side note, I only know how I went to petrol pump and fill petrol (Yes the car had orange fuel pump indicator right from showroom) and then went home (just 3 Kms away) as I was very scared in a brand new car. On top of that with all those ribbons and garland, it attracts more attention on road.
They did give us a coupon of a different petrol pump for 5 liters of fuel.

Last edited by raksrules : 20th March 2022 at 18:14.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 15:29   #115

Hello Everyone,
I am planning to get my Seltos GTX+ from Chennai, make a temporary registration there and get the permanent registration from Hyderabad, Telangana. Is it possible? If yes, what are the documents that has to be taken care off in order to make the permanent registration Hassle free!
Old 19th February 2023, 10:32   #116

Can I take my new car (temp number) on an interstate trip?

Hi guys

First time poster (and first time owner of a car).

I booked a tata punch recently and had a query. I have to travel to Delhi next month.

I will get my car delivery in 3-4 days but the sales guy told that original number plate will take 7 days for fitting on car. Now my question is - in case I don’t have my real number on new car, can I travel in it to other state? (Rajasthan to Delhi)

The sales guy told me that he will create a gate pass and temporary number plate that would work. But I need opinions and advice from experienced car owners here.

Will there be any issues (or challans), if I enter Delhi with a new car (without real RC and papers currently). Should I abandon the plan till I don’t have all papers in place?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th February 2023 at 11:08. Reason: Please search before creating new threads on topics discussed before. Thanks!
Old 7th July 2023, 02:06   #117
BHPian

I have bought a new luxury car in Mumbai with Daman registration but presently I am in Mumbai and buying this car from Mumbai dealer. The dealer is ready to deliver the car to me with a temporary number plate of Daman and he is asking me to wait for 7 days for the actual registration number and once that arrives, he will send someone to my place and get the number plate updated. The thing is I have to be in Mumbai for atleast 2 weeks now and will be driving the car here in Mumbai. So will it be okay to drive the car for a week on temporary number of daman?

He is going to provide me with receipt of registration amount and road tax paid and the insurance policy has already been taken. Will these documents be enough to use the car in Bombay?
Old 7th July 2023, 09:42   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspark View Post
So will it be okay to drive the car for a week on temporary number of daman?
Few years back, the rules for the temporary registrations have been amended. Now it’s no more legal to drive with temporary registration number and pasted on the vehicle. Hence it will be considered as an traffic offense.
Old 7th July 2023, 10:44   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Few years back, the rules for the temporary registrations have been amended. Now it’s no more legal to drive with temporary registration number and pasted on the vehicle. Hence it will be considered as an traffic offense.
But if we have to take the car to the registration office is it not allowed even for that?
Old 7th July 2023, 16:06   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspark View Post
But if we have to take the car to the registration office is it not allowed even for that?

With the new amended Motor Vehicle Act coming into force, now vehicle owners need not to go to the RTO office to pay a fee and get a registration plate affixed. Now this responsibility has been entrusted to the vehicle dealers.

As per the new directives from the Min of transport department, the HSRP should be affixed to the vehicle at the time of the purchase of vehicle without any additional charges (before the car leaves the showroom), as the cost of number plate includes in the vehicle cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks