Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2016, 10:22   #61
BHPian

Re: Driving with temporary registration?

Sorry to ask you all the same question. I'm hoping things would have changed for better now.

I took delivery of my Brezza last week and planning to take the car out of Telangana for a week with T/R. Can I drive without any legal implications? Thank you
Old 12th August 2016, 10:24   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
I took delivery of my Brezza last week and planning to take the car out of Telangana for a week with T/R. Can I drive without any legal implications? Thank you
A temp registration is a valid doc and You can drive any where in India with it. Do carry a copy of the invoice with you, just in case.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 12:59   #63
BHPian

Can I buy a vehicle in Bengaluru, take a temporary registration, drive to Coimbatore and register it there as I live there? I am considering this as I want to sell my KA registered vehicle in Bengaluru and get a good swap deal. Thanks. Cheers
Old 14th June 2017, 08:53   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Can I buy a vehicle in Bengaluru, take a temporary registration, drive to Coimbatore and register it there as I live there? I am considering this as I want to sell my KA registered vehicle in Bengaluru and get a good swap deal. Thanks. Cheers
Yes, you can; provided you complete the process within the validity period of your TR.
Just contact your car dealer and they will help you with its procedure.
Old 14th June 2017, 15:51   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
You just need a receipt of the temporary registration, and I think it has a validity for about 45 days. You would have to get the procedure completed within that time period; but with the receipt its legal to drive on the road until then.
Old 28th December 2017, 19:34   #66

Hi
To clarify, I am quoting the following from Official Transport Dept website of Delhi Govt:
//As per the provision of section 43 of the central motor vehicle Act temporary registration certificate can be given to a vehicle only in case when owner of a vehicle wants to take his vehicle to the other state. Maximum period of validity of temporary registration made under this section is one month and it is not renewable.

The temporary registration is also known as transit registration because the destination point is also mentioned in it where the vehicle has to reach. This registration is done at M.L.O. (HQ). The Transport Department can also delegate this registration power to the vehicle manufacturers or other concerned zonal offices.//

Link: http://delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/...+registration/

I think this should clarify all the concerns. I have purchased a vehicle in Delhi (great deal!) and want to get it registered in HP (least tax), so I have taken delivery on Temp Regn while giving address proof of HP and I can now legally drive it to HP to complete all formalities within a month. En-route, I shall cross Haryana/ Punjab/ a quick stop at Chandigarh/ again Haryana and then enter HP. I think this helps.
Old 13th June 2018, 11:38   #67
Senior - BHPian

Is there a limit on number of kilometers that can be driven using temporary registration?
Old 13th June 2018, 11:59   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Is there a limit on number of kilometers that can be driven using temporary registration?
Nope. Like mentioned by other users above, the validity is of a month. Ensure to perform permanent registration by 3rd week or beginning of 4th week. There are cases where RTO declines registration due to missing documents and owner/dealer has to approach RTO again the next day or later with right documents. If you approach RTO at very last moment and if they are not happy with the documents then the situation may become complicated.

When you drive with temp registration, ensure you maintain all the documents (originals preferably) such as car invoice, temp registration receipt, insurance paper etc. in your car. Remember that it’s not illegal to drive a temp registered car outside state, you just need to have proper documents in place.

Last edited by mudhasir : 13th June 2018 at 12:01.
mudhasir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 12:24   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
Remember that it’s not illegal to drive a temp registered car outside state, you just need to have proper documents in place.
Is that so? that means one cannot buy a car in one state and register with another state RTO? I have seen many examples who have done that including in this thread. So that is not a legal thing? Is there an access to a written law/act pertaining to this?
Old 13th June 2018, 13:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that so? that means one cannot buy a car in one state and register with another state RTO? I have seen many examples who have done that including in this thread. So that is not a legal thing? Is there an access to a written law/act pertaining to this?
You can buy a car in one State and register it in another. Some have also posted their experiences here on the forum.
See this ownership thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tic-white.html
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 13:12   #71
BHPian

Quote:
You have misread my post I guess. Please read it again, I have mentioned that it’s NOT illegal to drive a temp car in other state.
mudhasir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 10:56   #72
BANNED

I am taking delivery of my new car next week, strictly after registration formalities with Pune RTO. So, I will be having the tax receipt and permanent number plates. But, RC would take its own sweet time to reach me.

So, can I drive to other states, like KA and GOA with this set up? I mean, I would be having tax receipt, insurance cover note and number plates attached, but no RC. I guess, I would not ideally be stopped as number plates would be attached, but in case they stop me, would lack of RC create problem?

Last edited by PetrolRider : 12th July 2018 at 10:58.
Old 4th July 2019, 21:19   #73
BHPian

My vehicle was delivered with temporary registration last Wednesday and I got the registration number last Saturday. HSRP may take 15 days to get according to the dealer.

Today, while I was driving with temporary registration, cops stopped me and asked how many kms I have driven. I said 460km. He then said it is illegal to drive with temporary registration after 6.00 pm. Is this true? Is there any time frame to drive a vehicle with temporary registration?

On informing him that I have done the permanent registration and I am waiting for HSRP, he let me go.
Old 4th July 2019, 22:03   #74
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
My vehicle was delivered with temporary registration last Wednesday and I got the registration number last Saturday. HSRP may take 15 days to get according to the dealer.

Today, while I was driving with temporary registration, cops stopped me and asked how many kms I have driven. I said 460km. He then said it is illegal to drive with temporary registration after 6.00 pm. Is this true? Is there any time frame to drive a vehicle with temporary registration?

On informing him that I have done the permanent registration and I am waiting for HSRP, he let me go.
Since you have received your registration number, get a printout of the same and stick those on the front and rear windshields until you get the HSRPs. I have heard of the 6pm rule for temporary registration, but I'm not sure about it.
boniver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 10:42   #75
BHPian

I am planning to purchase a car in December mid. Will it be safe to drive it with temporary registration till the year and and then get the permanent registration done in January? That way, I'll be able to get 2020 registration for my car. A dealer told me that you have to ensure that there are no dents/scratches when you go for the permanent registration after having driven with temporary registration. Is that so?

If there is any possible issues with temporary registration, I can simply request delivery on 1st of Jan and only apply for permanent registration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks