Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Type 1 50 72.46%
Type 2 19 27.54%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2024, 14:01   #16
BHPian

Re: What's the best way for car brands to show the variant differences?

Introducing another option, this style is most common with today's SaaS. I find this design approach really useful. Would like to know your opinions

What's the best way for car brands to show the variant differences?-screenshot-20240207-13.59.30.png
Old 7th February 2024, 15:46   #17

I was going to start thread on this, here you are. Obviously option 2 & 3 are best way to differentiate variants, but I think very few manufacturer cares about this while designing brochure.

Earlier KIA's brochure was also confusing, now they have updated. Best brochures are from TATA & MAHINDRA, our own indigenous players.

Reference image for PUNCH EV:
What's the best way for car brands to show the variant differences?-punch-ev-1.jpeg
What's the best way for car brands to show the variant differences?-punch-ev-2.jpeg

Worst is from TOYOTA. Refer below pic of HYRYDER brochure.
What's the best way for car brands to show the variant differences?-hyryder-e-brochure-1.jpeg

What's the best way for car brands to show the variant differences?-hyryder-e-brochure-2.jpeg

Now this is totally impossible to understand variant-wise differences in detail.

Salesman was not having any comparison in any format. You have to trust differences conveyed orally by salesman. Very poor from TOYOTA.
Old 7th February 2024, 16:05   #18

I believe that Renault has achieved the best mix of Option 1 & 2 with sorted table. Very clear distinction.
Attached Thumbnails
What's the best way for car brands to show the variant differences?-screenshot-20240207-4.02.59-pm.png  

Blakride is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 16:24   #19
BHPian

For me, Option 1 is the easiest. It is very easy to compare the variants and figure out which features are missing in each variant and take a call. Option 2 and 3 are bad. I will need to read all the text to get the differences. Option 2 is at least a bit readable. Option 3 is worst of the lot for me. I will need to go back and forth a lot to figure out exactly which features are available on each variant.

I think we can add a poll to get a better idea of the preferences of the members.
the_joker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 19:00   #20

For the majority of models on sale where it's simple add-ons, I would prefer options 2 or 3.
It gets trickier when the variants move to more complex tree like structures like the safari facelift or when we get maybe packages like the big 3 Germans, we have to resort to a variant of option 1 where each "root" model has everything spelt out and additional variants/options can be just their details.
Also it's rare to see a good configurator website for brands which lets you put together options and compare them (hide common features etc) at the same time. I like the Porsche one for cars and RE website for bikes but even they could be better imo.
Old 7th February 2024, 19:12   #21
BHPian

I think anything which is in tabular form, comparative, and well segregated, like in the case of Hyundai and Maruti, and it serves well. You get all information at your disposal, just zoom in the right section, and get the answers.

The worst, I recently checked was for Toyota Hyrider and the practice of Skoda to share your details before downloading the brochure.
Old 7th February 2024, 19:54   #22

My vote is for option 2. Tata brochure helped me pick the varient very easily. What I don't understand is why it is so difficult to compare varient differences online. Even Tata's own website is not as good as there brouchers.
Old 7th February 2024, 20:11   #23
BHPian

I would prefer Type 1

Since I view the car variants comparison mostly online, and if the brochure is also of the same format it will be more comfortable and easy for comparison.
Old 7th February 2024, 23:15   #24
BHPian

I would prefer Type 1.
Especially the Hyundai types.

It's very easy to understand the differences and works well when one needs to compare the variants.

For example, if one wants to compare sound system across variants, it's easier in type1 to directly view particular section and see what each variants gets or miss or what's the alternative option it's getting, in the immediate next rows. While in type2 one needs to read/search each section to find what variants get what.

While I prefer Type 1 , few of my friends feel type2 is easier to know all features of a variant in a single section , when one doesn't want to compare variants.

Last edited by DLC5005 : 7th February 2024 at 23:18. Reason: Typo
Old 8th February 2024, 01:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Can I suggest an Option 3. I have seen this in the Harrier Brochure and immensely helped me decide quickly amongst the variants. Its very simple to understand as well.
Personally, I would like this type better. It is clearly understandable and easy to read. Recently during the purchase of the Safari facelift, my dad could easily figure out the variants and the corresponding features (he had given me the complete charge of selecting the car and the variant, he just paid) but still when he looked at the brochure, he could understand.
Old 8th February 2024, 14:05   #26
BHPian

I think Type 2 is more intuitive and easier to follow for many. When Type 1 was norm, many dealers used to create the Type 2 at their showroom level to explain the customers. And dealer salesman used to staple this as additional page to brand brochure. This clearly establishes that Type 2 is easier to explain the customer. and comes handy. This insight should've been picked up by OEMs over the time.

Having said that, when there are too many variants and packages, then it gets more cumbersome. Type 2 is useful when the add-ons are more linear from base to top-end.
Old 8th February 2024, 19:37   #27
BHPian

All of the insights have made me reconsider my choice. Im moving from option 1 to option "depends"

You see, option 1, i feel is best when you have 2 or 3 variants only (honda and all). When you have more variants (the hte-k-x, w2-4, etc) its better to have option 2. EOD, its about readablility. Presenting 5+ variants in single page is possible in case of option 2, and the presentation makes it easier to go through and get a general layout of what is what.
Old 8th February 2024, 19:46   #28
BHPian

I think, more than having every single feature listed out, we should focus more on what access are there even you move up the variants. This also promotes transparency among the company and the buyer
Old 9th February 2024, 23:27   #29
BHPian

Type 1
  • I always prefer tables for information; just the way my brain works.
  • Once I kind of roughly fixate on a variant, I simply have to focus on its column. Whereas in type 2 I would need to track what's in all the below variants. This can be annoying if you're making a decision over several days. Cumbersome if you're focusing on the mid variants.
  • It allows the possibility to group categories of features. For example, it's easy to compare just the safety features across variants.
  • Extension of previous point, if you're considering multiple cars and want to compare a category of features between them it can be potentially be easier if all their brochures are type 1.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks