Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2024, 17:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nse: Tatamotors

Probably he invested 50L last year and it became 1Cr in 12months and he decided to reinvest 35Lacs out of his earnings into a Company leased car and one Tweet, er X, will increase his balance 65Lacs to 1.3Cr in 6-8 months while his Black Mamba returns 20% Y-O-Y depreciation/loss into the capital gains from his stock sale.

Gosh! and here we are investing in Mutual funds which are subject to... nuf!

Billionaire Motilal Oswal goes ‘vocal for local’; buys Tata Safari-tata.jpg
svsantosh is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 19:42   #17
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Billionaire Motilal Oswal goes ‘vocal for local’; buys Tata Safari

Friends, I am happy that he chose Tata as his next car. Good for him!

Does anyone have any details of other cars he has in his garage ? If Any of these cars are NOT SO INDIAN. Good for him that too.

Many super successful people have mix of all cars. He is just one of them. The only difference is that in today’s day and age of social media he just happily clicked a picture and posted without proclaiming anything being discussed here.
Satkaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 20:52   #18
Team-BHP Support

My take:

- While waiting at a traffic stop in the backseat of his Merc S-class, he noticed a black safari stopping next to him
- He really, really liked the looks of the car
- Out of curiousity, he called the dealer for a test drive car, checked it out and liked the interiors too
- Decided to buy the car and use it as a beater (all households have a beater car)
- After using it for a couple of times, he realized that it is good enough for office commute too.

He then decided to make this post (including 'vocal for local' line) on twitter, as an afterthought. Although it is a mystery as to why he tagged Anand Mahindra & PMOIndia!

Last edited by SmartCat : 1st February 2024 at 20:59.
SmartCat is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 21:02   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

While praising this switchover to Swadeshi decision of the tycoon, let us watch as to how long he sticks to his new lifestyle with such indigenously made products.

The switchover of these kinds in many cases have been of a stopgap kind only to bounce back to imports. But that does not mean Mr Oswal could be one of such " bounce back to imports" guys that only time can tell.

But to select a Mahindra model of his choice, he could be surfing through the teambhp threads on the Bolero/ Neo, XUV 500/700, Scorpio Classic/ N (airbags didn't deploy in some cases) or the XUV 300 and so on. The very modest KUV 100 is history now and hence out of his list of probables.

Amitabh Bachchan was given hints by our then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1983 that he could be the party's candidate for the Allahabad constituency for the 1984 Lok Sabha elections. He soon switched over to a modest but new, white Ambassador Mark 4. When journalists asked him the reason for shunning his imported cars, he retorted "Ambassador is a good car." He was elected, the Ambassador continued but after there were many allegations against him around 1986, he resigned as M.P. and also quit politics. Thereafter, the Ambassador was also made to quit his garage and the imports were soon back.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st February 2024 at 21:09.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 21:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari a minimalist car? My bad I upgraded from my bicycle to a car couple of years back. Otherwise they would have called me a Minimalist God.
TML share is trading at 880 today and I am happy. Hope they become multibagger from here and make me also a minimalist in the near future. Go Tata go!

Last edited by Latheesh : 1st February 2024 at 21:40.
Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 08:02   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Poor little boy. What will happen to his Maybach now. I hope the PM is suitably impressed with this gesture of supreme sacrifice for the nation. This virtue signaling is PR in overdrive - not sure whether to laugh or what.

On a serious note, I have the highest respect for his business acumen and leadership abilities. He is a self made man and no one can take that away from him. But it is fashionable these days to cuddle up to the powers that be and social media is the perfect platform. This thread is proof of the success of his exercise!!!

Guys, I bought this mug. I too have gone vocal for local.
Attached Thumbnails
Billionaire Motilal Oswal goes ‘vocal for local’; buys Tata Safari-img20240202080552-002.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 2nd February 2024 at 08:12.
V.Narayan is offline   (85) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 09:26   #22
BHPian

A good way to go "vocal for local" is by forcing the "locals" to make things that have "global" quality standards!

We help the country better through such upliftment in engineering standards, manufacturing practices, quality of service offered, and agility in addressing customers' (genuine) concerns.

It only encourages laziness and the status quo by blanket and blind support for "local", IMHO!
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 09:42   #23
BHPian

Let's not be so harsh on the grand ole BIG BULL, for us commoners our beater car range is 2/5L, and for them 30/50L bracket.

His vocal for local will go down well with his audience on Dalal Street.

OT: Ratan Tata still has the humble Nano in his garage.

Last edited by Vinod_nair : 2nd February 2024 at 09:45. Reason: Added the OT:
Old 2nd February 2024, 09:53   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Billionaire Motilal Oswal goes ‘vocal for local’; buys Tata Safari-safari.jpg

Looking rich is passé, acting poor is the new fad.
androdev is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 10:09   #25
BHPian

I wish the business folks would just shut up and focus on doing what they do best rather than preaching to the rest. Anyone with an ounce of sense can gauge how shallow such statements are, and what their intended aim is. Who gives a toss if you drive a Safari or a CBU?. We already have Indian companies milking patriotism to sell their sub standard wares, and now this.

One of those instances in which the response 'Ok, Boomer' is apt.
BrakeDancer is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 10:13   #26
BHPian

We are living in an era where spending 35 big grands is termed as leading minimalistic life I am fed up with this vocal for local saga, let the local manufacturers improve their QC and then promote this tagline.

On a lighter note, I hope he is vocal throughout his ownership experience
vvivek85 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 10:54   #27

I personally don't subscribe to this philosophy

If we completely stop foreign companies, the Indian brands won't need to improve their products and we will have to buy what they sell. Tata and Mahindra have improved significantly since they had to compete with Hyundai, Jeep, MG etc.

We shouldn't support mediocrity just because it is local. If the quality and value is same for both products, then you should consider going for Indian brands. But going for substandard products is just going in the wrong direction I guess.

Also, What have the foreign brands done. They provide employment to the Indian people only. I can understand if this mindset is only for CBU imports but companies which have set up manufacturing in India shouldn't be discouraged like this.

Indian brands shouldn't succed just because they are Indian, they should look to provide world class products where everyone in the world is buying them.
Mahindra is doing decently well in Australia on the back of good products.
micky is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:01   #28
BHPian

I only hope he is not left Moti-Lal faced with a breakdown that forces him to Os-wal"k!

If I was Tata I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry at my flagship car that aims to redefine snazzy and plush, being called minimalistic. That's a Na-No that would cause me much Sufferi and make me Sue-mo!
AnAntinspired is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:04   #29
BHPian

In a connected world where best practices are no more hidden as trade secrets, there is no need to differentiate between Indian and Foreign car manufacturers. Who ever has best internationally accepted and followed procedures in manufacturing, sales, after sales and service can be trusted.
It’s political and divisive to take up Indian Vs Foreign.
Oswal bro - India did not invent the car from scratch, so what are you going for Indian so much?
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:09   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

What is local about the Tata Safari ???

The Safari has borrowed the JLR platform on which it is built from UK, the Fiat engine that propels it from Europe, and the Hyundai transmission that controls it from Korea.

If Mr. Oswal truly wanted to go local, he should’ve gone in for a ScorpioN and or XUV 700 with a manual transmission - completely local cars top to bottom.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 2nd February 2024 at 11:13.
84.monsoon is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks