Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2024, 02:10   #1
BHPian

Used Car Insights - Cars24 Edition

Disclaimer

Right off the bat, all data is presented as is and I am in no way affiliated to CARS24 nor am I endorsing its usage. I just so happened to be able to get the data from their website in a relatively easy manner and I have included the raw Excel file as well for reference. I am also a human being. I do not claim that this is the definitive way of going about analysing the data and I also declare that I might have made mistakes which better people can point out and I will happily accept the correction. If any of this is against the rules, mods, kindly delete the thread if required.

Limitations

All these insights are generated by taking averages across cities, which might not reflect citywise trends. If you do wish to see citywise trends, kindly feel free to use the provided excel sheet and use pivot tables to dice and slice the data as per your requirements. For a general overview of a website, I decided to club all cities together in most instances.

Insights

Insights into the used car market have been generated based on data from CARS24, a platform for buying and selling used cars. The total number of listings analysed were N=8239 from 17 cities available on CARS24. Kindly note that all data is from 15.01.2024 except Chennai which was obtained on 13.01.2024.

Used Car Insights - Cars24 Edition-slide1.jpg

The left chart shows the percentage share of different car manufacturers in CARS24, with Maruti and Hyundai having the largest shares at 35% and 25% respectively. The right chart shows the percentage share of different cities in CARS24, with Bangalore having the highest share at 21%, followed by Delhi, Chennai, and Mumbai.

Used Car Insights - Cars24 Edition-slide2.jpg

Number of listings each year: Majority of the listings are from the year 2017, followed by 2018 and 2019. This peak slightly exceeds the commonly used breakpoint of 5 years for selling a car.

Frequency of price in lakhs: Most of the listings in CARS24 have a price between 4 and 5 lakhs, with a steady decline in options for higher prices.

Average price by manufacturer: “MG” had the highest average price of 16.4 lakhs among the manufacturers, followed by “Jeep” and “Kia” at 12.7 and 12.6 lakhs respectively.

Average price by city: “Coimbatore” has the highest average price among the cities, followed by “Chennai” and “Bangalore”. No surprise there as southern states have some of the highest road taxes levied on their vehicles.

Used Car Insights - Cars24 Edition-slide3.jpg

Average price trend: As expected, Petrol and CNG cars have their maximum average prices in 2023 while the average price of Diesel cars peaked in 2022 at an average price of 15.5 lakhs.

Average price by fuel and transmission: Diesel cars are more expensive than other fuels, regardless of the transmission type. Average price follows the trend of Diesel (AT) > Diesel (MT) > Petrol (AT) > CNG (AT) ~ Petrol (MT) ~ CNG (MT)

Top 10 cars by listing count: SWIFT VXI was the most popular car listing on CARS24 (N=220), followed by BALENO DELTA PETROL 1.2 and GRAND I10 SPORTZ 1.2 KAPPA VTVT tied for second place (N=140).

Percentage distribution of transmissions: Skoda cars had the highest percentage of Automatic transmissions, followed by Jeep and Kia.

Used Car Insights - Cars24 Edition-slide4.jpg

Average kilometers run each year: On average, listings from 2019 till present day pass the 50k kms cutoff that is usually sought after in the used car market.

Average kilometers by manufacturer: Volkswagen car listings tend to have run more kilometers on average than other manufacturers in CARS24, followed by Toyota and Ford.

Percentage contribution of listing years by manufacturer: Volkswagen has the most consistent percentage spread of listing years in CARS 24 while Toyota has the most variation in its percentage spread. Newer Renault and Nissan cars are more readily available with over 70% of their listings being from the last years.

That's all folks! I tried to collect data from Spinny and OLX, but ran into issues. If any computer literate folks with coding knowledge are willing to help out, can generate insights for Spinny and OLX too if possible. For now, I am content with CARS24. Cheers, and hope this was useful for people on the market for a second hand car.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Cars24_15012024.xlsx (880.7 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by libranof1987 : 16th January 2024 at 11:13. Reason: As requested
superblover is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks