Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2024, 21:15   #1
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Ertiga | Hyundai Creta | Mahindra Scorpio | Waiting to join the 10 Lakh-Sales Club in 2024

Maruti Ertiga | Hyundai Creta | Mahindra Scorpio | Waiting to join the 10 Lakh-Sales Club in 2024-1.png

Maruti Ertiga, Hyundai Creta, and Mahindra Scorpio nameplates are poised to join the 10 lakh-sales club in 2024.

Maruti Ertiga

Maruti Ertiga | Hyundai Creta | Mahindra Scorpio | Waiting to join the 10 Lakh-Sales Club in 2024-2.png

A definitive product that killed every other direct competitor in its journey so far, and created an uncontested segment for itself in India.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...rtiga-xl6.html (How Maruti cracked the Compact MPV code with the 2nd-gen Ertiga & XL6)

Hyundai Creta

Maruti Ertiga | Hyundai Creta | Mahindra Scorpio | Waiting to join the 10 Lakh-Sales Club in 2024-3.png

Launched in 2015, the Creta has always been the best-selling car in the ~4.3m monocoque SUV segment and one of the highest revenue-grossing product in the Indian passenger vehicle industry. Creta has been a great all-rounder across two generations in India, and no competition was ever able to beat it in its own game, not even its exterior designer, who gave it a radical styling for 2nd generation.

Mahindra Scorpio

Maruti Ertiga | Hyundai Creta | Mahindra Scorpio | Waiting to join the 10 Lakh-Sales Club in 2024-4.png

Spanning over two decades, Scorpio is the product that changed the world of Mahindra Automotive forever. Scorpio in India became a symbol of muscle power and a de facto choice for politicians and contractors on tight budgets; read it as a customer segment that can’t afford the Mitsubishi Pajero (2003), Ford Endeavour (2004), or Toyota Fortuner (2009).

Over the years, Scorpio used to do around 4k units a month, but with the changed value proposition of Scorpio N (2022), it is selling well past the 10k mark in 2023. Scorpio is also the first modern product from Mahindra that has the blood of the original Tata Safari on its sword.
pqr is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 23:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga | Hyundai Creta | Mahindra Scorpio | Waiting to join the 10 Lakh-Sales Club in 202

Well-deserved! These products were updated from time to time- the updates were not just mere cosmetic facelifts, but also included mechanicals.

An owner who bought any of these cars a decade back, won't have to look elsewhere to upgrade their car, they could simply buy the upgraded version of the same car.

Am not sure whether the Honda City or the Innova have achieved this feat so far, but they are well-deserved candidates as well.

The more I read these, the more I feel bad about Renault for spoiling their Duster brand in India. Especially when they had the upgraded versions ready, abroad. They never brought them to India, and instead tried to convince the customers by selling the facelifted Dusters. Eventually it became outdated & was phased out. Hope the new Duster comes out soon!

Last edited by Samba : 9th January 2024 at 00:00.
Samba is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 14:58   #3
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga | Hyundai Creta | Mahindra Scorpio | Waiting to join the 10 Lakh-Sales Club in 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Well-deserved! These products were updated from time to time- the updates were not just mere cosmetic facelifts, but also included mechanicals.
Yes. Keeping the customers interested in your products consistently is admirable. I think it also has to do with the excellent service support the Suzuki, Hyundai guys provide that contributes to the success. The word-of-mouth publicity that Creta gets is exceptional. Ertiga did not have any worthy competitors in the 7 seater space till Carens came. Reliability, spare-costs, service-support are the major contributors to these two. The Scoprio is a different story.
Gedaliah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 16:51   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

As one of the early adopters of the first generation Creta, this makes me happy. It’s difficult to switch to a different car in the same segment after driving it for almost a decade. It still feels very well built with an awesome engine and gearbox combo. The second gen, however (my son drives it), lacks the same build quality and I really hope Huundai will address it with the upcoming facelift and score 5 stars in the crash test.
Col Mehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 17:25   #5
BANNED

All 3 are great cars in their own way hence they are selling so well. Ertiga is best MPV one can buy in so much less money. Ertiga Vxi is the best value for money buy which gives lots of things at very less price. It allows you multiple combinations and great comfort for the price you pay. I own new Ertiga Zxi+ for last 2+ years and I am totally happy with it. You can go 5-6 people in great comfort with lots of luggage. Also you can carry up to 7-8 people for short distance as well.

Creta numbers are mind blowing. No one predicted so much success for it when launched. Hyundai strategy of putting endless features paid of with this car. India market was looking for mid size SUV at right price with lots if features and Creta just provided that. Also they have very good diesel engines for it.

Scorpio is gem of a car. It's dream car of lakhs of Indians, specially in tier II, tier III cities or in rural India. Its poor mans Fortuner as well. Also not to forget politicians love it got over years. Mahindra played very smartly and kept old Scorpio selling after launch of new Scorpio N. Results clearly shows it paid of nicely. I am sure Mahindra is going to get more and more success with it.
Old 9th January 2024, 19:16   #6
BHPian

Interestingly an increasing number of UVs are entering the 10 Lakh / 1 Million sales club. The Toyota Innova, Maruti Eeco, and Mahindra Bolero entered the club in 2023.
Good to see the Hyundai Creta enter the club too. If I am not wrong, this is the first Hyundai to achieve the fete in India. And the Creta is quite a good car, over 2 generations. The Scorpio is joining its sibling Bolero, and with plans for an all new Bolero in the works, it will be interesting to see who keeps the lead or surges ahead.

The Ertiga joins a host of high-selling stablemates from the family. Here is a rough breakdown of the Maruti Suzukis in the club:
  • The Alto stands at 45 lakh units as of 2023, beating the record of its ancestor and prior stablemate, the Maruti 800, which at the time of its withdrawal in 2014, had sold over 27 lakh units.
  • Wagon R crossed 30 lakh milestone in 2023.
  • The darling hatch of India, the Swift entered the 10 Lakh club in September 2013, moved to the 20 Lakh club in November 2018, and stood at 25 lakh sales in 2021 - it should be in the 3 Million club by now.
  • The Baleno entered the 10 Lakh club in 2021, and looking at its recent high numbers, it should be closer to 15 lakh or more now.
  • Maruti Suzuki Dzire sales crossed 25 lakh in September 2023.

Going forward we should expect to see more UVs crowding in, I guess!
Miel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 20:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
As one of the early adopters of the first generation Creta, this makes me happy. It’s difficult to switch to a different car in the same segment after driving it for almost a decade. It still feels very well built with an awesome engine and gearbox combo. The second gen, however (my son drives it), lacks the same build quality and I really hope Huundai will address it with the upcoming facelift and score 5 stars in the crash test.
I second that as mine was out the last lot of 1st gen Creta bought in 2019 June which I have driven 37k till date and I am amazed by this machine.
Every time I have put it to test in various conditions it has not disappointed me even once.
Last month we did a 1250 Km trip with 4 adults and 4 regular sized briefcases and 3 small bags. The vehicle never felt sluggish and didn't scarp the underbelly.
I have heard that the 2nd gen Creta fit and finish is notch lower than the 1st one however i dont have any 1st hand experience.
Safety rating yes it was never tested which is a low point but then you get some you lose some.There is no car which we can call perfect Eh.
Artyom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 22:27   #8

I can't believe how well Hyundai's pulling it off with the Creta, especially given it's a fancy ride that costs over 20 lakhs in Bangalore. Surprisingly, though, it's selling like hotcakes, and folks are scooping it up left and right. It's pulling in customers like no other non-Maruti car ever did. Sometimes, I get this feeling that the Creta is on its way to becoming one of those legendary cars in India's history books, you know? Just a crazy success story!
askakhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 00:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqr View Post

Launched in 2015, the Creta has always been the best-selling car in the ~4.3m monocoque SUV segment and one of the highest revenue-grossing product in the Indian passenger vehicle industry. Creta has been a great all-rounder across two generations in India, and no competition was ever able to beat it in its own game, not even its exterior designer, who gave it a radical styling for 2nd generation.
Exterior designer.
This really cracked me up. That designer has upped his game with the facelift and made the pre facelift look good in comparison. Hope the creta survives this onslaught.

Last edited by harikrishnansp : 13th January 2024 at 00:56. Reason: Cleanup

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks