Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2024, 00:29   #61
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Ford Endeavour is coming back in 2025

I am a Ford Freestyle owner since 2018, and below are my few cents on this.

After sales service: From 2018, I have been more than happy with the service they have offered and has been cost effective too. Next to Hyundai, Ford was one brand that was always very particular about the post sales ratings and customer feedback. After Fords india Exit i was skeptical about the service centres and opted to do all my service through FNGs. Recently my car hit 80K mark and wanted to do a major service, mostly preventive maintenance, clutch, suspension engine mounts etc.With lot of hesitation I visited the usual service centre and I was not expecting what i saw. Everywhere there was FORD branding still up. Staff maintaining the same level of quality in the service, I did face a few hiccups with setting my expectation with the service advisors but it was far better than when chevrolet exited India. So, If and when Ford plans to return to India, I will still have full faith in them.

On their plan to re-entry - As a lot of you have said, they left at the wrong time. I agree their balance sheets would have justified the logical decision to give up. Sometime in economies like India its not just about the balance sheets. Look at Toyota, at some point their balance sheets also might not have made sense to their counterparts in the west they worked a strategy out to stay invested in India and now they have started to reap the dividends. Ford has to make a bold entry back to India with a long term game plan, with their exciting products. India as a car market has always rewarded the good cars irrespective of the manufacturers.

I hope they come back, this time with no compromises on their strengths.
TN20CQ5187 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 00:36   #62
BHPian

Great news that Ford is coming back, definitely a worthy contender in the large SUV space in India but one can be a bit skeptical since the Endeavour they might bring here will be a CBU version considering the amount of units it will do it seems like the logical option but even the locally manufactured Ford vehicles had issues post BS6 wondering how the CBU’s might fare in this regards.
Also the part costs will be though the roof compared to Fortuner ,the scenario will be much like how Honda bought in their premium products CR-V and Civic in 2019 ,hardcore brand loyalists looked into it and some old Civic and CR-V owners upgraded to it but that was about it, my hunch is that same can repeat for Ford imports here in India.
But definitely Toyota’s Fortuner monopoly needs to end, adding a diff lock, a body kit, different lights and weak ambient lighting doesn’t justify the 60+lakh price tag.

Last edited by VwRabbit : 7th January 2024 at 00:41.
Old 7th January 2024, 07:32   #63
Senior - BHPian

Even if Ford is planning to launch this in India, I dont think it will be cheap. Infact I reckon it would cost a lot more than even the Fortuner. The new Everest in the Australian market is priced closer to Toyota Landcruiser Prado than Fortuner. The price difference is considerable. The other factor that could influence the price is that it wont be built completely in India, it might be assembled given Ford's wont be looking at making a large investment again in India given they just left the market a few years ago.
Old 7th January 2024, 09:56   #64
Senior - BHPian

Most of us know what a Ford is, especially those who have owned or driven a Ford. If Ford plans to come back to India, then I would say that Team BHP is to a certain extent responsible for this, as all car manufacturers, forums, magazines refer to this prestigious forum. So thanks Team BHP and it’s members for inspiring people. And thanks to the moderators and support to maintain the quality on the forum.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 12:11   #65
BHPian

As a former employee and owner, I would love to see the Ford cars on road again. Yes, at the time of exit, they did mention they would explore the opportunity to bring their global vehicles either imported or assembled locally. We should assume this news as an opportunity exploration and nothing else.

With respect to the hiring ads, they continue to be there as the global engineering and product development services continue to operate out of Chennai, unless explicitly specified the job location is Maramalai Nagar or Chengelpet

I personally feel, Ford will not chase the pack and focus on margins and driver experience to attract the market. They have already proven it with the Ikon, Fiesta, Ecosport and Endy. They shouldn't care about the sub 4m segment and focus on the mid preimum segment.

My wishlist would be:

1. Endy - Proven product bring the latest one in OZ / NZ and you pretty much have a direct competitor to the Fortuner. You have limited service network, leverage it to the best and for towns that don't have a network, get into a JV with a 3rd party garage that would solve the problem in the short term

2. Ford Maverick Truck - This could be a transformational product. This is the baby truck as it is called in the US and if it gets built in Chennai can be priced competitively. V-Cross is non existent today and Hilux is luxury at present

3. Ford Territory - This 4.5m SUV paired with the 1.5 Ecoboost in a hybrid form with ADAS thrown in could be sandwiched nicely between the Creta, Hyryder, Grand Vitara, Harriers, XUV 700 and ScorpioN of the world.

4. Kuga EV / Plugin Hybrid - This could be a potential game changer if priced properly. The Brazil one is in pure ICE form which may not bring in the numbers, the differentiation would be in the form of Hybrid which can fight the Suzukis and Toyotas that are in play today

5. Mustang Mach E - This is purely aspirational for me. The prices will go north of 1CR if the vehicle is imported, but in limited quantity and on invitation only will help them to build the brand.

My ulitimate wishlist would be the Baby Bronco, simple 2.0L 3 door with all the bells and whistles that are there in the current gen with top of the line 4x4 capability. I don't think they would put that level of resources to develop a competely new product
diwakarmuthu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 14:14   #66
BHPian

Will I be happy if Ford makes a comeback - Yes, I do have my eyes set on pre-loved Ecosport.

But then, the thread begins with the word "Rumor", I'll be happier if the rumor comes true. Like others said, job openings and not selling the manufacturing plant do not necessarily point out to a comeback.

I did start following the trail when I saw that Ford pulled out of the manufacturing plant sale at the last moment, I'm waiting to see a headline stating "Ford officially announces a comeback"
montsa007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 14:23   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
A little birdie just happened to chirp the following in my ears :-
Sir, hope what your birdie chirped is true just like last time.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 11:22   #68
Senior - BHPian

Counter on the rumour of Ford restarting operations in India:

Quote:

The ‘Leaked’ Patent Story

A lot of people are basing their assumptions on the report of the ‘leaked’ patent filed by Ford in August 2021. This is a month before it made the strategic decision to leave India. So, this patent is not fresh. Hence, that is not concrete evidence to support the claim of the American auto giant making a comeback in our market. There have been no new patents filed for any new or once-existent models in India. Still, it is surprising to witness so many digital automobile media houses going on about this patent which somehow indicates that Ford will launch new products in India.

Job Posting on LinkedIn

There are also job vacancies posted by Ford India on LinkedIn for the roles of Senior Engineer, ADAS Feature Owner, Manufacturing Digital Transformation Integration Architect Manager, etc. Now, this is not untrue. However, the is a subtle detail that everyone seems to be missing here. It’s been over 25-year-old journey for Ford Business Solutions (FBS) in Chennai. While the Ford plant was shut down in September 2021, its FBS celebrated 25 years of operations in November 2023.**FBS delivers technology and business services that include software engineering, analytics, data sciences, artificial intelligence, machine learning, product engineering, accounting/financial analysis, digital marketing, enterprise connectivity, manufacturing engineering, planning and logistics and supply chain. to global locations.
Source: 5 Reasons Ford Won’t Return To India

Last edited by AMG Power : 8th January 2024 at 11:23.
AMG Power is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 17:07   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN20CQ5187 View Post
I am a Ford Freestyle owner since 2018, and below are my few cents on this.

After sales service: From 2018, I have been more than happy with the service they have offered and has been cost effective too. Next to Hyundai, Ford was one brand that was always very particular about the post sales ratings and customer feedback. After Fords india Exit i was skeptical about the service centres and opted to do all my service through FNGs. Recently my car hit 80K mark and wanted to do a major service, mostly preventive maintenance, clutch, suspension engine mounts etc.With lot of hesitation I visited the usual service centre and I was not expecting what i saw. Everywhere there was FORD branding still up. Staff maintaining the same level of quality in the service, I did face a few hiccups with setting my expectation with the service advisors but it was far better than when chevrolet exited India. So, If and when Ford plans to return to India, I will still have full faith in them.

I hope they come back, this time with no compromises on their strengths.
I totally agree with you. I had a global Fiesta which I sold with a heavy heart only last September. I had serviced it only at TI Ford, the service centre in Guwahati. It was as if Ford had never left India. All parts were readily available and warranty issues also stood ( Ford offers a warranty of 6 m on parts). they always were very persistent with obtaining a feedback
sanhan10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 19:59   #70
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Considering India's tremendous growth in next 25 years at least (which is going to happen for sure), Ford should come back to India. I think they should concentrate on SUV's only and target huge SUV demand we have here. They already have Endeavor and EcoSport, they should bring 2-3 more to complete with likes of Creta, Seltos and Harrier, XUV700, etc. They should completely skip small car segment as they will not be able to crack it. Also for time being, ignore sedans as well. Better concentrate on what you can do best and what is in demand, simple.

All the best Ford, come back soon
aniketi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 01:57   #71
BHPian

If this is true I’d even replace my GLA with the new Everest / Endeavour. What adds to my excitement that another little birdie who also happens to be an ex Ford employee with ex colleagues stating that there’s a very strong chance for the comeback with similar online sales model mentioned above and along with some old dealers coming back into play. If fingers crossed had the topmost version of it I’d be having for this news as the Endeavour surely has a thing in many Indian’s heart irrespective of the cars they own
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 18:16   #72
RGK
Senior - BHPian

The building of dealership network is not going to be easy for Ford India if they return. The dealers have lost faith (Eg: Rajshree Ford spent 50L to set up a SC in Ooty and their investment is a loss now). I doubt that Ford will return in the near future.

NB: Sold my Ford ES Titanium Diesel as many of the skilled technicians have moved to other brand dealerships.
RGK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 22:00   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
The building of dealership network is not going to be easy for Ford India if they return. The dealers have lost faith (Eg: Rajshree Ford spent 50L to set up a SC in Ooty and their investment is a loss now). I doubt that Ford will return in the near future.
Most of the dealers across pan India are operating their service centers at Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities. So, it would be rather easy to set shop again with the existing dealers. If indeed Ford does come back, it would be an exciting time for both the company as well as the consumers alike
ABHI_1512 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 18:08   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Even if Ford is planning to launch this in India, I dont think it will be cheap. Infact I reckon it would cost a lot more than even the Fortuner. The new Everest in the Australian market is priced closer to Toyota Landcruiser Prado than Fortuner. The price difference is considerable. The other factor that could influence the price is that it wont be built completely in India, it might be assembled given Ford's wont be looking at making a large investment again in India given they just left the market a few years ago.
Won't they benefit from the 2500 unit rule?

I sincerely hope they come back because Toyota is having a free reign in the segment and pricing the fortuner absurdly because they have absolutely no competition. Near 60 lacs for that car is mad. There is absolutely nothing in it to be worth 6 million rupees. It is worth 35-40 MAX and that too OTR.

Someone needs to give them a reality check sooner than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
A little birdie just happened to chirp the following in my ears :-
[list][*]Ford will definitely make a comeback, timelines not clear though
--
Good if it's true. We will get to see and experience some global products. Don't blame me if it's false.
Do you have any info about their plans for diesel powertrains? Will they go the VW route?

I am really interested in the new Endeavour but I won't bother if it's a petrol/hybrid.

Last edited by SaiSW : 16th January 2024 at 18:12.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 20:27   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Won't they benefit from the 2500 unit rule?
If i’m not wrong, the 2500 units exception is for the Homologation process and does not turn in to significant savings for the manufacturer. Import taxes depending on CBU, CKD or SKD still apply like any other product. VW used it as a way to create some buzz with the T-Roc, Karoq, and the Polo GTI since they had no other offering apart from the Polo/Vento/Rapid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks