Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2024, 18:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Did you ever buy a car out of impulse?

Interesting thread . My dad did it way back in 2014. I vividly remember that we were passing by a Honda showroom in our Ford Ikon, and my dad, without even sitting inside the 4th-gen City, decided to book it! He didn't even take a test drive. He loved the Red City and booked it by paying 50,000 rupees at that time. He never regretted his decision and took care of the car like it was his baby .
MotorDev is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 18:50   #17
BHPian

I had read review of Honda City 4th Gen model on team bhp and when I got to know that it will be discontinued in March 2023, I went to showroom in middle of the day(perks of WFH), booked it even without taking a test drive. Also, 15 days before I made booking for City, I happened to purchase a used 8th Gen Honda Accord. And honestly, I didn't even knew how to drive a car before I purchased both of my cars. Now looking for a superb/Octavia as bitten by DSG bug!
DK_accord is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 20:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

In 2010, I brought the 1st gen i10 without having any knowledge. I regretted because it woke the driving bug inside me and I could've brought a diesel then. Back then there was a 40 Rs difference per liter.

My S-Cross and Alcazar change decision to delivery turnaround was 16 days. But both were head decisions.

During S-Cross decision time, there were only 2 candidates: Ciaz and S-Cross. A phone call to Parag, knocked Ciaz out of the list. Creta was way out of budget at that time.

During Alcazar, the initial candidate was XL6 Zeta. Driving the K15C quickly ruled it out. And this came after a Carens test drive and myself a MJD owner did not help. Alcazar was a wildcard entry because of the delivery timeline (3 days) over Carens (6 months).
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 14:10   #19
ike
BHPian

Visited Tata showroom to check out the then facelifted Harrier sometime in the end of April 2023 and took delivery of a non facelifted 2022 Harrier available with hefty discounts in the first week of May. Totally unplanned, I was happy with the S cross I had. No regrets till now though!
ike is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 08:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
This may sound like an oxymoron but i am ONLY impulsive when it's a steal deal. Whether new or used.
If i have to quantify "steal deal":
For new car it needs to be 20% + off ex-showroom price
This was similar to my recent purchase of an Audi A4. I was to book a Virtus and the Audi entered my consideration only because of the 25% off on the ex showroom price that I got. The heart got impulsive only when the head was aligned. It helped that I got no where near this discount when I had enquired a few months before.

Well said!!
DaiusPitar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 08:55   #21
BHPian

My current Hyundai Alcazar was a sudden decision. My Verna had done 125000 kms. One fine weekend in April 2022, just went to a Hyundai showroom as I had nothing else to do. Booked the car on Monday and took delivery on Friday. Basically 5th day from the first time I sat in the car.
Naetik30 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 09:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Never.
Somehow I am not the kind of person to impulse buy such expensive assets. All my cars have been bought after months of research and planning. My family is always involved in the decision making process - budget, brand, features and we even take a vote on which color to buy. Since the buying process is well thought out, it helps me keep the car for long time without going through buyer's remorse.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 4th January 2024 at 09:55.
Aviator_guy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 09:56   #23
BHPian

All of my 3 cars in the last 2 decades have been impulse buys. I regret letting go of the 1st two. But life had other plans.

1) Mitsubishi Spyder GT - 2006 - 2009
2) i20 Asta (petrol) - 2010 - 2016
3) Tata Safari Storme - 2014 - present

The i20 was shopped for, paid for and brought home all in a single day when I grew frustrated with cabbies in Hyderabad during monsoons in 2010.

The Storme was bought because my old i20's suspension couldn't gracefully handle broken roads near my home. This led to frequent lower back pain. Wanting to avoid permanent damage to my lower back, I went and got the Storme 4x4.

From 2014 to 2016, I had 2 cars and no one to share them with. Would get envious looks from my colleagues and neighbours, but mom and dad wanted to wring my neck for "wasting money".

If you add my motorcycle, that's makes it 4 out of 4.

4) Super Meteor 650 - 2023

Last edited by SupMeteorStorme : 4th January 2024 at 10:02. Reason: Elaborated a few points
SupMeteorStorme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 10:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

No. Thats why I stay away from test driving new cars or visiting showrooms!
Hatari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 10:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Buying the Gurkha was an Impulsive decision which i never regretted, until recently, 15 days back my son was born. With a toddler, it is definitely going to be a challenge since my wife would be sitting next to him once he starts travelling by road. At this point of time, getting in and out with the kiddo and settling him down would be a challenge. Fortunately I have a beater car to take care of the city runs.
I have a feeling i might have to trade in the Gurkha for something more family oriented, maybe much sooner.
rakesh_r is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 11:02   #26
BHPian

Just bought a Jimny. Purely impulse. I already have multiple cars and no parking space.
Also bought a new Himalayan, I already have a Himalayan and Barely ride it. Just impulse.
abtyagi is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 11:14   #27
BHPian

My Santro AMT in 2019, purely bought it out of impulse. I had a 2015 i20 Manual, got married in 2018 but my wife did not know how to drive a manual and was learning with my i20.

Hyundai had just launched the Venue and I usually go to showrooms to checkout any newly launched cars. So walked into the showroom just to see the Venue, no plans of buying anything, but walked out with booking done for a Santro AMT. Did not have 2 parking slots, didn't want to give away the i20 and had lot to plan but booked it out of pure impulse of getting a car for my wife

On the other hand, my i20 purchase in 2015 and Verna purchase in 2023, all was planned well ahead and done.

Will I buy anothe car out of impuse, most likely yes

Last edited by vignesh207 : 4th January 2024 at 11:14. Reason: typo
vignesh207 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 11:25   #28
BHPian

bought a car for myself for travelling to Pune to Prayagraj by road for my BIL's marriage. does it get more impulsive than that ?

Family of 3 with a 40K run Tata Nexon Diesel XZ. Prayagraj was in the plans from long for my BIL's wedding and flights were all booked one day just went out and booked an XUV700 AX7L AWD on 14th Oct 2023 and got the delivery on 24th Oct 2023 (Dusshera). it was like all my wishes came true in 2023 !JUST LIKE THAT!

Loyal Steed at the wedding
Did you ever buy a car out of impulse?-dsc_2148.jpg

Last edited by ShivrajG : 4th January 2024 at 11:27.
ShivrajG is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 11:35   #29
BHPian

Yes.

We sold the amazing Ertiga we had for 7 years as my dad felt that the car may bring out some niggles and due to car shortages, the price offered by used car dealers was amazing.

Post that, we were left only with a Renault Kwid which we had planned to keep for some time before I would be on a 6 month study leave. We were looking for an AT/CVT (except for AMT) as my driving is mostly in the city and the convenience an AT offers in the city is way too good plus 6 Airbags for safety. We thus planned to purchase the Grand Vitara Hybrid and paid a token for it on the launch day. The boot was big enough for our dog to sit comfortably in the car and a roof carrier would haul all our luggage.

However, after we sold the Ertiga, we couldn't travel with our dog anywhere. Now after the Kwid was sold, we were left carless for quite some time. Now the issue arose was that when the prices for the Grand Vitara were announced, those were way out of our estimated budget, which put us in a fix. Our parking slot couldn't accommodate the XL6 and I didn't want the Ertiga again.

We called for a top-end 2019 Creta which was in great condition from Cars24 for a test drive and loved it. Had almost all the features that the Grand Vitara would have for the variant we were looking at. Plus the brilliant 1.6L Petrol Engine was a charm. I always loved the 2019 Creta. However, during a small due diligence, we found that the Car was stationed near the Coastal area evident from the non-working cabin lights and some salt built-up on the Chrome + the address of the previous owners. Also, Cars24 executive was unable to explain why the car which had run only 13000 km had two owners as they didn't have the complete paperwork. For all this, we sought a small discount on the car which they refused and hence, we canceled the decision to buy it. A couple of days later, we found that Cars24 had reduced the price of the car way more than what we had offered and hence made a decision not to deal with them ever.

We had concluded that we were in a big fix as our budget looked puny in front of our requirements. We sought to settle on the Sonet Diesel AT, but the waiting period was way too long. We also sought quotes for some used Cretas but, what many dealers had were lower variants and quoting exorbitant prices for them.

Finally got the Brezza ZXI+ MT as it offered us almost everything we wanted plus a decent boot space which we thought was enough for our dog. And we were so wrong about it. Every drive to travel anywhere with our dog now is a nightmare for my dog and the ones sitting at the rear. He never sits in the boot and keeps jumping around nervously. Plus the MT is a pain to drive in the city.

The Car is wonderful and a step up in terms of a Maruti. There's nothing wrong with the car.

The Car isn't for us and we wholeheartedly regret buying it. We plan to sell it to go back to an Ertiga or XL6 (which we later realized that we can park in our parking slot differently). However, we are unable to get a good price for it and are waiting for the car to depreciate a bit before we can sell it without much loss.
Gamemaztr is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 11:40   #30

Both my cars, the Ford Aspire Diesel and the VW Virtus fall in the impulse buy category.

I was looking at getting an EcoSport and was not thinking about the Aspire at all, and then all of a sudden the dealership asked if I would like to test drive it. Not one to decline a test drive ever, took it for a spin. Fell in love with that torquey engine and handling of the car. Put down the money, brought it home the next day.

In the Virtus' case it was even more impulsive. We were looking for a second car that would primarily be driven by my wife. We were shopping for an EV but I kept pushing her towards hatchbacks on heels (Nexon, Punch etc.). She didn't like them a bit. Just as we were winding our day down after test driving the XUV300, I asked if she wanted to look at the VW offerings. She hesitantly said yes. The showroom was about to close when we reached there. She saw the Virtus, sat in it and immediately loved it. We bought it without a test drive, I had heard good things about the car from a friend.

Both these cars have turned out be great companions on our journeys and we couldn't have been happier with our choices.
PG03 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks