Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2024, 18:57   #76
BHPian

Re: Did you ever buy a car out of impulse?

Coming from Manual Diesels for last 20 years - all thanks for Delhi-NCR NGT rule + my daily driving of 100+ km in city traffic - my knees started crying badly - searched for a turbo auto car across companies which can be delivered in a day and Voila - got Venue N Line in 24 hours.

Apart from this - all my cars are well planned in advance with ample research on pros/cons.
Ashdel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 22:37   #77

I classify myself as an impulsive buyer but that's not the case when I brought home my beasts. In all fairness, the decision was quick...no overthinking etc.

V Cross: 2015/16 were not good years for me. I was almost broke after going through a tough divorce and then, I had to let go of my Polo GT. I cried when she left...I still miss her. My first meeting with the V Cross was at the 2016 Auto Expo. I test drove her sometime in August the same year and then waited a whole year to bring her home. In between I also saw other cars as well the Polo GTI and the likes but never connected with them as I did with the Isuzu. Finally got her in 2017 and to say the least...my life changed. I bounced back, and that's been the case ever since. For me she's the flag bearer of all the good things to come.

N Line: I was missing my GT a lot and more so while I drove the 1 liter TSI. But by the time I decided to the GT back in my life the Polo was discontinued and no left over stock was available anywhere. I guess there's something good in everything that may or may not happen. Test drove the N Line, loved her mannerisms and then got her home. Although, I didn't wait a year as I did for Victory (Isuzu) as I was in better place in my life than before. Newton as I lovingly call her is now the spiritual successor of the Polo (unfortunately I didn't give her a name). I've given her a GT badge a as a homage to the Polo... Victory also wears it on her tailgate.

I don't regret my buying decisions at all. I plan to keep them both in perfect shape, while I won't splurge anything extra on them as I already have done enough but yes I'll maintain them both. You see you can keep two cars in your garage without spending too much in their maintenance. And yeah, my garage is now complete. End of story.
Attached Thumbnails
Did you ever buy a car out of impulse?-img20230622145858.jpg  

Did you ever buy a car out of impulse?-img20231218144828.jpg  

Did you ever buy a car out of impulse?-img_20231226_123437.jpg  

Lifeographer84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 01:57   #78
BHPian

My 1st car purchase was certainly an impulse (I'd say controlled action on the basis of an impulse though). The second one was a lot more calculated, and I've largely been happy with both.

The 1st car was a vento. I was 17, in 1st year of mechanical engineering and tagged along with my uncle to the VW and Nissan showrooms just to see what they had. Uncle had plans to upgrade to a sedan or larger hatch. One look at the top end Jetta (2014 model) in the showroom and I was sold on the brand! Uncle decided to TD the polo/ vento as it kind of fit his budget. We got a vento for the TD and I was impressed. So was my uncle and most of the family.

But here's the background: at that point, uncle typically did 6000 kms a year, including occasional office commutes. I didn't have a licence and my mother who had one didn't drive. Our need for a car was close to 0. Add to that, although I had an interest in cars and had a vague idea about how they work, I was mostly a newbie to the auto World. I used to tag along in the purchase of any appliance/ machine and did some number crunching. The same happened with the Vento as well with me trying to make a ownership cost comparison between that and the Verna, which was also somewhat liked by my uncle's family.

Seeing and sitting in that Jetta bought about an impulse in me to experience it. As it was out of budget, I thought why not the Vento and convinced my mother to buy it, despite not needing one. But why do I say a controlled purchase? Because at that point, we could take the Highline petrol Vento MT home without a loan. Mom was sold on the car and my sister loved it too. We decided, given our potential running would be low a petrol is best.

What was I happy about with the car: It's the car I learnt driving in and thought my sister to drive in. The car was also a timeless design of European style in the middle of the Suzukis and Hyundais most of our neighbours had. There's a lot I owe to that car purchase

What I was not happy about: the high running cost per km, given steep maintenance and low running. Add to that, I realised my mistake of not going for the diesel TDI much later. It was finally a combination of some starting trouble at times (despite battery changes and starter motor repair) and some small bits like suspension overhaul, steering sound, and the fuel cap lock malfunction that made me switch after 9 years.

My second buy was just based on the fact that it had to be a fun to drive petrol auto and the ventos driving dynamics has already spoilt me.
Auto_guy_101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 07:46   #79
BHPian

Yes. I have and here's the story.
It happened on 9th Dec 2007. I was employed in a bank and had recently sold my old Maruti 800. I had made up my mind to go for a wagon R because at that time the car used to offer 60:40 split seats in the rear.
A friend of mine and I woke up from slumber late in the morning and walked out to have some breakfast. Wearing a shorts and t Shirt we headed out to Annapoorna at RS Puram, Coimbatore around 10.30 in the morning. After breakfast we were on our way back when I noticed that ABT Maruti showroom was just opening for the day. Since I had already decided on the car to buy we walked in to enquire about the year end offers.
I should say that we were indeed ill dressed for the occassion. The sales associate also thought so and would not care a damn about us. Some queries and questions also went unanswered. By this time I was all pepped up and went to the manager and asked him what the final price for the LXi model on the road was and whether Wine red color was available with them.
He looked and me and said if you pay full cash now, I will give you the vehicle tomorrow obviously thinking that I was incapable of doing so.
I got offended by his dialogue, pulled out my credit card and swiped out 3.8 lakhs on the spot. I then told him that I would need the delivery same time, the next day.
He hadn't expected this to happen and rattled out that the color was unavailable and it would take 10 days to deliver. I got delivery of my car on 22nd Dec with a further discount of 25k for the delay.
This is a story which neither the manager nor me will ever forget. We later became good friends and he has recommended quite a few customers to me for a car loan.
Thus, it became a great win for me. I was even invited to his son's wedding recently and though I couldn't attend the same my wishes are always with them.

Last edited by born.4thnov : 13th January 2024 at 07:49.
Old 13th January 2024, 08:06   #80

My first and only car till date.

Year was 2013, I was in Mumbai and newly married. We were looking for a small car. Had test drove Jazz and Amaze automatic. Was considering Amaze, then Ecosport was getting launched. The dealers were just getting their first cars, I was able to get into a car before official public launch and loved it. But automatic variant was not available for next few months and also the dealer insisted that I buy additional accessories from them to shorten the waiting period. I didn't like the arm twisting.

Just when I decided to go back to Honda, I stopped by in the VW showroom nearby Honda. Sat in a Polo and closed the door, felt the solid thud and immediately booked VW Polo GT TSi without even test driving. somehow the car connected with me and oh boy was it a good decision!!! was fortunate to get the car in just a month (back in 2013 the waiting period was loooong) and have enjoyed every km on it.
Old 13th January 2024, 08:14   #81
BHPian

I have purchased two cars till date.

My first purchase was in 2017. It was a well thought decision to buy a Honda Jazz after seriously considering i20, punto and polo. I never regretted the same.

My second purchase was in 2023 Sep. It was skoda slavia 1.5 DSG this is purely out of impulsion. In bangalore there is a place Mahadevapura were you find hyundai, renault, vw, skoda next to each other. While I had plans to visit only hyundai to check out venue. casually ended up visiting VW & Skoda and immediately liked the Skoda Slavia.

Finally ended up buying the slavia within a week. This is purely out of impulse.
Old 13th January 2024, 08:43   #82
BHPian

Our impulse purchase was in 2013 when we were planning to replace our 2010 Swift VDI with a bigger car. When my dad had almost decided to book a brand new Vento TDI, suddenly a guy, who deals with used cars, came and met my dad saying that there is a Vento TDI, which his friend was planning to sell as he was planning to get a BMW X1 that time. After hearing this, my dad told him to bring that car to have a look, and the next day, that guy bought the car, and dad was impressed with the Vento. After a short spin, he immediately made up his mind to get this car ASAP, and within a week, the Vento was home.

The Vento TDI we bought was almost a year old (10 months to be precise) and ran close to 13k Kms during the purchase and the car was bought for 3L less than the new one. We used it for nearly 4 years and sold it off in early 2017 after doing a lac Kms in it (113k Kms was the odo when we sold it off).

Again, in 2016, when dad was planning to get an Innova Crysta, which was just launched at that time, a friend of his suddenly offered his 2011 type 2 Innova VX, which was up for sale as he was upgrading to type 2 Fortuner, and dad immediately stumbled upon this car and bought it straightaway after he found the Crysta was overpriced during its launch. He had saved nearly half of the price for buying this Innova over a brand-new Crysta.

Had this Innova till 2022 and did 120k Kms (bought it when the odo was at 75k Kms) in almost 6 years of ownership. Sold it off when the odo was close to 2L Kms (196k Kms to be precise).

Again, in 2017, when we had sold our Vento TDI, my dad had almost decided to book the Ciaz Diesel Smart Hybrid, but one of his friends had suggested him have a look at Honda City once, to which he reluctantly said yes as his original choice was Ciaz while City was my original choice as having a Honda City in the garage is my childhood dream. I looked out for a few Honda City Diesels on OLX (we wanted Diesel only as our running was high), then we shortlisted a few vehicles and in the end, it was between a 2015 Honda City VX iDTEC, which was sold by Sundaram Honda since it had run nearly 15k Kms and a 2014 Honda City VMT iDTEC, sold by a doctor, who replaced it with Polo GT TSI. But, the price difference was more than 3L between these two resulting us in getting the 2014 one.

6.5 years and nearly 145k Kms later (bought this car when the odo was at 35k Kms), we couldn't be happier with the car except for a few issues, which we got rectified, and, in 2022, had spent nearly 2L on this car by getting a fresh coat of paint, suspension overhauled at Honda ASC assuming that we'd be keeping this car for another 2 years while in 2023, got the tyres replaced as well as fan motors, which were replaced a month ago. And, my folks love this car even today though we might be letting go of it soon assuming that I won't be returning to India soon and get a Petrol AT as the replacement since it will be used by mom for her commute to work, which is 20 Kms a day. Also, it's usage decreased after I moved to US in Aug 2023.

And, we didn't make any impulse decision during our recent purchase, which is Innova Hycross Hybrid, as dad was firm on getting one since its launch despite me suggesting him get a Scorpio-N, which was readily available over Hycross.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 13th January 2024 at 08:47.
car_guy1998 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 13:30   #83
BHPian

In 2022, I was in the market to purchase a car but buying Kushaq was purely out of impulse coupled with some luck.
With a strict budget of 12.5 lakhs in Bangalore, I had shortlisted Rapid, Astor & Verna in that order.

In Feb 2022, I started my car search with Skoda only to find out that they had discontinued Rapid Rider. I checked out Kushaq since my wife & I always liked it but didn't consider it since it was over our budget.

Since all vehicle showrooms in East Bangalore are on the same 1km stretch, we next went to MG to have a look at Astor. Took a TD, it was good to drive with decent equipment in base model & was within our budget, hence went ahead & booked it with expected delivery in 4-5 months.

Come March 2022, I received a call from MG SA stating that Astor delivery would take 1 year. I was a little upset but didn't cancel the booking.

At this time, news came that Vento would be going out of production and its manual top end model was retailing at 9.99 lakhs ex-showroom. I already had Polo so wasn't interested in Vento but at this price point it made a lot of sense as I was getting a tried and tested model with all the bells & whistles.

I checked VW's website & found that only VW Palace cross had that model. I contacted them & they informed that they only have 2 in stock (1 each in white and brown) & they can book it with a token of 25000/-

As much as I wanted the car, I didn't want to book it by not even seeing the car so informed them that I will visit the next day & post inspection book on the spot.
On the next day, I took leave from office & was ready to visit with all necessary documentation only to get a call from SA informing that White model was sold last evening & that was the last model to be allotted from VW. Since I didn't like the brown color, Vento also went out of contention.

By this time, I was disheartened since whatever car I liked was either discontinued or had a huge waiting or was simply over-budget.

Finally in April 2022, decided to check-out Verna, it was a fine car, readily available & Hyundai was giving good discounts as well. I liked the Starry Night shade but wife was partial towards White. The SA informed that they would be getting 1 Starry Night next week & we can finalize & book once we see it in-person.

With our minds set on Verna, the car search was closed. Out of the blue, I received a call from Skoda SA stating that Kushaq's Active peace variant has been launched at 9.99 lakhs with a demo vehicle available in showroom & with deliveries starting in 2 weeks.

I skipped my evening meetings & straight went to the showroom to check it-out. It had better build quality than Verna, looked better & had all the features except a music system. On asking for a TD, they only had automatics TD vehicles available.

The SA mentioned that this is a limited edition & may not be available once chip supplies improve. I enquired if they would be getting it in Carbon Steel color to which SA mentioned yes and even showed the VIN number. Not wanting to miss the opportunity this time, I took a leap of faith & booked it on the spot.

It has been 1.5 years of owning Kushaq & I have zero regrets about this impulsive purchase.

Last edited by CafeRacer16 : 13th January 2024 at 13:33.
Old 13th January 2024, 14:21   #84

My First ever car turned out to be an impulse purchase.

I shifted from Chennai to Pune on January, 2021. I was a "temporary" bachelor, as my wife was with my in-laws due to the new born baby. So, I never needed a car in Pune. All my commutes were taken care using an used Honda Activa 4G/Uber. There were also nagging thoughts in my mind about how long I will be in Pune, before shifting to a new location, that delayed

Fast forward to 2023, I fell in love with Pune, My family stays with me, My Kid is 2+ years old and loves to go on a ride. I was still missing out on the picturesque locations near Pune on account of not having a convenience of own car. This was also a period, where I started spending more time on team bhp news articles and forums and living fellow members' experience through their words. So, when one of my Senior colleagues/Friend, jokingly asked me on 23rd June 2023, "Why don't you gift yourself a car for your birthday?" (My birthday is on 25th June), I thought "Why Not?".

I had very limited idea on Cars, but was 100% sure on certain things:
1) It should be a car that I would love to drive and make me smile
2) I wanted a pre owned car. Its been 12 years since I last sat behind the wheels, so pre-owned car will give me a sense of acceptance regarding future scratches if any. I also did not have a dedicated, covered parking in my apartment.
3) Car should be highly reliable. Last thing I want as a new driver is an unreliable car that could potentially get me stranded somewhere with my family.

With these ideas in mind, we visited Spinny, Magarpatta the same day and started window shopping. My Friend was kind enough to patiently help me on my car purchase till I got delivery. . By the time, we crossed all Marutis', Hyundais' and stumbled across Honda, the spinny associates were already leaving for the day. I saw a 2015 Honda city (i-Vtec) and sat inside for a while. I really liked the car (Low driven, 1st owner, Spacious, Honda tag) but could not test drive as it was really late.

We thought of coming back the next day, but to our disappointment, found that the car was already booked (Spinny allows you to book a car by paying a refundable 10K). Other cars that we saw (including other Honda citys) did not really give me the same feeling I got with that Honda city. Next 4 days, I was just scrolling through different options with different service providers but to no avail (Missus was also scrolling on her part). Meanwhile My friends were advising me on the difficulties on owning a sedan as your first car (Blind spots, size etc). I started getting a feeling that maybe the almighty is giving me a warning on my impulse decision to buy a car. But as fate would have it, My wife told me that she saw an identical car in spinny. I checked but it was not an identical car, it is the same car. The same Honday City - 2015 - Petrol - i-Vtec - urban titanium grey. Seemed that the user did not go through with this sale. My mind started racing. My Friends and I visited the showroom again same day, test drove it, fixed an appointment with my friend's neighborhood mechanic for the next day. Next day, with due inspection, the mechanic gave a nod. Same day (July 1, 2023), I booked the car by paying advance and completed remaining payment by (July 3, 2023). I got delivery of the car on July 5th 2023. In less than 2 weeks, I went from having no idea of buying a car to owning a pre-owned Honda City. I have never regretted the decision, considering that some of my fondest memories in 2023 with my family were made during the last 6 months that I owned this car.
Attached Thumbnails
Did you ever buy a car out of impulse?-hc1.jpeg  

Old 15th January 2024, 20:51   #85

Have I bought a car impulsively? Yes. It's our 2023 Sonet 1.0 iMT.

The story goes like this - We went to the Kia Showroom one fine day and were checking out the Sonet. We loved the car so much that we paid for it in full then and there, on the conditions that the car will be delivered to us in the same week. And the showroom staff delivered the car to us in just 5 days. It was all so mind boggling for me.

Do we regret it - not a bit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks