Base variant 12 2.07%
Mid variant / Value for money variant 168 29.02%
Top variant 373 64.42%
Don't know / Can't say 26 4.49%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2023, 17:46   #1
Team-BHP Support

2023 Edition | Which car variant do you buy?

In 2017, Smartcat had done an insane analysis on which is the most popular variant that people opt for in India. The study gave an idea of which was the most popular variant of a particular car model and gave an insight into the customer preferences. For example, the majority of the buyers opted for the mid variant (VDI) of the Maruti Ertiga while in the case of the Hyundai Elite i20, the sales of the top Asta variant were the highest. And to generalize things, ~65% of BHPians voted that they would opt for the top variant.

With 2023 behind us, let’s see if customer mentality has changed or not. In the last 5-6 years, things have changed drastically concerning customer preferences and the way manufacturers are approaching the Indian market. Here are some of the major changes.

1. Seller’s market: We are in a period where the manufacturers are no longer fighting with each other to undercut each other while pricing their products. Car prices are higher than ever because there are people who are willing to pay the amount asked for. A very clear example of this is probably the Maruti Vitara Brezza. While the first-gen car was one of the cheapest in its segment, the second-gen car that was launched in 2022, is one of the most expensive in the same segment!
2023 Edition | Which car variant do you buy?-brezzaa.png

2. Something for everyone: Manufacturers like Hyundai and Kia have this approach of offering everything to the customer in terms of powertrains and features. This approach has worked in their favour. We’ve seen their cars performing really well in their respective segments. Other manufacturers too aren’t shying away from equipping their cars to the brim with features. Most recently, the Tata Nexon facelift is being offered with over 34 variant options!
2023 Edition | Which car variant do you buy?-screenshot-20231230-045435.png

3. Adequately-equipped base variants: There was a time when base variants of cars were very poorly equipped. Manufacturers used to resort to extreme cost-cutting when it came to base variants and that showed. As an example, the Honda WR-V base variant was so bare bones that it didn’t even get wheel well cladding! (Related thread). In 2016-17, Hyundai used to offer a passenger airbag as an option in the Grand i10 and now Hyundai offers 6 airbags as standard in ALL its cars. Nowadays, a lot of the safety features at least are standard across all variants and the base variants aren't bare bones.
2023 Edition | Which car variant do you buy?-niosafetypc.jpg

So, what is your preference? There are three options to choose from -

1. Base variant: A car with all the essential safety features and some other features.
2. Mid variant / Value for money variant: Not everyone wants ADAS tech and a sunroof, so might as well save some money there.
3. Top variant: The car's equipped with all the bells and whistles.

Looking forward to reading the explanation behind the vote.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th December 2023 at 17:50.
Omkar is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 17:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2023 Edition | Which car variant do you buy?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Old 30th December 2023, 20:51   #3

I would prefer Top variants unless its just cosmetic or features that I'm not too interested in. If the only difference is a better speaker system, rain sensing wipers, HUD and ADAS i might not go for it. Nowadays there are a lot of variants for a car and Ill probably get something in between the mid and top (closer to the top though).
Draken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 05:23   #4
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Ideally speaking, I'd always go for the top end variant of a car. There is a certain sense of, satisfaction(for the lack of a better word), allure and charm associated with buying a top variant. However, for most of us if not all of us, it's not so straightforward. The thing is that most us set a budget and find a car within that budget. And more often not, it means deciding between a lower/mid variant of a higher segment car and a top end variant of a lower segment car. We as a family have almost always went ahead with a mid variant since it always came across as the best choice.

1. Maruti 800 1996- Our first car was the 800 with AC.

2. Fiat Palio 2003- We went for the EL variant with power steering as ELX was too much of a stretch considering the fact that we were initially planning to go for a WagonR LXI or a Santro XP.

3. Ford Fiesta 2007- We were initially looking at the Logan but then decided to stretch to a higher segment and got the mid ZXI variant of the Fiesta. The entry level models of the City and the SX4 were also considered.

4. VW Jetta 2015- We considered cars from both the C2 and the D1 segment. Vento, City, Verna, Creta, Elantra, Corolla, Creta were all under contention. We had finally decided to go ahead with the mid S variant of the Elantra diesel before coming across a good deal for the Jetta Comfortline(the mid variant) and shifted our booking to the Jetta.

5. Ford Figo 2017- I started with a budget of 7L which meant that none of the mid or the higher variant diesels were in my budget. I finally stretched my budget to 8L and went for the top minus one, the Titanium variant.

So, if the question was, 'Which car variant would you like to buy?', Top variant would have been my answer. But which car variant do I end up buying? It is the Mid variant.

An interesting thread this one-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...r-segment.html (Top variant of lower segment vs lower variant of higher segment)

Last edited by AYP : 31st December 2023 at 05:24.
AYP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 06:27   #5
BHPian

It is always the top end model and always a brand new car. All my cars are always top end with a show room delivery. Live life king size always even if your bank balance doesn't say so. We are on this planet for a limited time and why compromise on anything. If we fix our selves to this thought process, automatically our brain will work hard and nature will bless to achieve the highest possible option ever possible in anything in life and not necessarily specific to automobiles.
Mystic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 07:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Top variant for me. I like to keep my cars for long, which means they should not start feeling obsolete in a few years. Maximum amount of standard equipment and plusher cabin feel help. Also, the kind of goodies you get in top variants of 15-20L rupee cars these days used to be the stuff of super luxury cars not too long back. I find them good value for money. It is pretty satisfying as well, knowing you have bought the best possible version of your car.

Also, I am a sucker for top notch audio quality. The 9 speaker JBL system was a big reason behind me picking the top Empowered + variant of Nexon EV.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 31st December 2023 at 07:11.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 07:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Top Variants of all vehicles usually have the best and highest specifications in terms of all features, safety, convenience, comfort and all.

It is possible that some, if not several, of these features may be perceived as irrelevant and unnecessary by some, if not several, of the prospective buyers. And it may also seem that one is paying for things which may neither be used nor valued. (For example, Sun-roof or Moon-roof.)

Saying the above, if one can afford the inevitable difference in price, between the Mid Variant and the Top Variant, it is always best to go for the Top Variant just because it comes with all the other useful or valued stuff.(For example, Cruise Control or Factory Tinted Windows.)

But at the end of the day, it is all about what suits the individual buyer and his/ her interest and capacity to buy.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 07:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Voted Can't Say.

I would want to say VFM or top but across manufacturers the feature spread is quite weird and aggravated by my avoidance of any ADAS tech but hard focus on basic equipment which includes rear wipers.

Examples :
- If I don't want ADAS in the Honda City then its the base SV only.
- Maruti typically has its mid-variants as the most VFM but if you want the rear wipers or driver seat height adjust in the Fronx then it has to he the Zeta or Alpha with the turbo petrol
- Tata also follows and I think the first of the lot to offer the rear wiper in the XZ trims. Hopefully they've improved now.

So it essentially depends on what's being offered, hence can't say

Last edited by shancz : 31st December 2023 at 08:02. Reason: ccl
shancz is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 08:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Top Variant

First car I picked up back in 2010 was a mid variant and within few years I realised it was a mistake as some features couldn’t be retrofitted so easily (example: rear wash/wipe).

Second car onwards I decided to go for top variant by default as I have realised the extra few grands can go a long way in making the ownership that much more satisfying & eventually you can hold on to the car that much longer leading to savings over long term.

In my current car had I gone for the top-1 variant, would have missed out on some features which I regularly use(electrically adjustable/retractable mirrors, Apple carplay, keyless entry/go to name a few). So unless it’s just a sunroof and some cosmetic bits, it’s always a top variant for me

Last edited by SoumenD : 31st December 2023 at 08:19.
SoumenD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 10:49   #10
BHPian

Having recently bought the MY24 Skoda Kushaq 1.5 DSG Monte Carlo.. I can tell you it's simply a question of what's the minimum that you need with the most you can spend.

Look at it this way, with the way the industry has been behaving in sync like one giant cartel of increasing prices in step every 3/6 months for the last 3 years, mid trim models have already crossed the VFM thresholds within their respective model categories.

This means that if you can afford it, you might as well splash out more for the top models if you can while trying to get the best deal possible. This has added benefits of you not feeling shortchanged in terms of features and creature comforts that should have been in the mid trims to begin with..as well as better resale values eventually because of the higher kit. Not to mention, if you have nothing significant lacking in the top model, your ownership period is also likely to be longer while not being unbearable on feeling you've fallen too far behind the technology and development curve.

In some cases, because the top models usually don't make up the most of the sales numbers, if you genuinely negotiate to close a deal.. dealers are inclined to throw in some decent deals.
Vandit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 10:55   #11
BHPian

Voted for the top variant. Assuming that there isn't an unreasonable price premium, this would be my pick. Waiting periods aren't really a concern.

Considering how long we keep our cars, opting for the top variant ensures that we don't get bored after some time in terms of the features. Otherwise too, opting for the most potent powertrain and the nicest interiors really makes the ownership experience that much more enjoyable. If you manage to get a good deal, that's just the icing on the cake!
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 11:48   #12
BHPian

I keep my cars for longest possible duration so top model is the best bet. Also with so many warranty issues due to aftermarket fittings, I prefer peace of mind with a top model
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 12:06   #13
BHPian

Voted for the Top variant. Have always bought the highest possible variant, as I like to keep my cars stock ( only thing I change are the tyres and buy add-ons that don't come factory fitted). Two exceptions are my current cars-
1. Brv V CVT - automatic at the time of purchase was available only in V ( 2nd from top) and not VX trim.
2. Verna Turbo Petrol SX DCT - skipped top variant as it had ADAS. I feel manufacturers should have top variant with ADAS as optional. I for one, will never buy /use ADAS.
FAIAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 12:33   #14
BHPian

There was a certain preference towards the top variant some time back. Suzuki's SX4 ZDi variant was highly appreciated in the household, despite its ridiculous mileage. Then slowly, the value factor managed to overtake the sheer desire for the "top end"

Now me and my dad are often at loggerheads when it comes to the variant choice. I, the tech centered youth of the household, strongly advocate for a smaller/cheaper car while my dad looks for the Engine durability and prowess.

That said, my personal preference. I voted for the value for money mid variant. After browsing through multiple brochures and websites, I realised that I would always get the variant that is just below the top. For a big boost in price, the gain is almost all the time cosmetic, with leather, chrome and some extra connections and whatnot. I would rather spend the money on getting useful accessories like dashcams and others.

Despite being more inclined towards tech, i have realised that more often than not, more tech means more headache. Life was insanely simple when our cars had those 2Din audio systems. Now, with android auto and apple carplay and all those bells, things are tougher to maintain. The auto start stop. What is the issue with twisting the damn key? There were multiple instances where me and my dad have scratched our heads trying to figure out why the car turned itself off, why it did not turn itself off etc.

But a point for the other side, things like auto a/c, found mostly north of lower mid variants, are always welcome. The incessant fumbling with the fan speed and the temperature gauge, will not be missed.

Now that does not mean i dont want extra tech. I do. Its just that, my commerce mind cannot justify paying extra buck for makeup.

As a post script

Why do car manufacturers have so many variants? Yes Hyundai and Kia and even Maruti nowadays. S, SX, SX plus, SX O, E blah blah blah. IMHO, a car should have 4 variants in total. A bare bones cheap one, a moderately loaded mid, fully loaded top and an optional ones for the people who want the bling. That is it. Why so much confusion?
shresan23 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 12:36   #15
BHPian

Voted for the Top Variant

I tend to keep my cars for over six years. The only modification I'd consider is a remap after the warranty period expires.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks