Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2023, 17:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

MG Motor India to launch 7 new models in 2 years

According to a media report, MG Motor India plans to launch seven new models in the country in the next 2 years.

MG Motor India to launch 7 new models in 2 years-2021mgastor03-2.jpg

The report states that the company shared its future product plan with dealers, who were invited to its headquarters in Shanghai, China, within days following the announcement of the joint venture with the JSW Group. The dealers were also shown some of the models lined up for the Indian market.

According to one person who attended the event, MG is unlikely to bring completely new or only fossil-fuel-powered models to India. The carmaker will instead focus on hybrids, including plug-in hybrids and pure EVs.

It has also been reported that MG's current line-up will receive an update in the years to come, including the Gloster, which is due to get an update next year. The carmaker had showcased models like the eHS plug-in hybrid SUV, Mifa9 electric MPV, MG4 electric hatchback and the MG5 electric estate at Auto Expo 2023.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by TusharK : 29th December 2023 at 17:54.
TusharK is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 11:31   #2
BHPian

Re: MG Motor India to launch 7 new models in 2 years

Sub 4m plug in hybrids could be a sweet spot to get a mass market success in India.
nisshith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 17:31   #3
BHPian

MG4 please. It's a compact car with good efficiency, and it's a hatchback!!!
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 19:02   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I expect MG (along with Hyundai and Kia) will try to get a good amount of brand awareness and market penetration by mid-to-end-2026, which is when we can realistically expect the Tesla “budget car”, the Godzilla of the market to launch.

It will be an interesting next four years for sure.
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 06:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisshith View Post
Sub 4m plug in hybrids could be a sweet spot to get a mass market success in India.
I am not convinced about Plug-in Hybrids (PHEV), particularly for our Indian market. They are most complex in terms of design (as the user needs to charge the car's battery pack AND also fill up the Petrol tank, in order to drive it), plus it is the most difficult to maintain when compared to a conventional ICE or even a Normal / Strong Hybrid like the Toyota Prius or Toyota Hyryder.

As a result of this, I expect PHEVs to have high costs in terms of purchase, insurance & maintenance when compared to ICE cars, Electric Cars & even Strong Hybrid cars. Therefore, I don't think PHEVs will work out well for our Indian market.
sprashanth1982 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 12:56   #6
BHPian

Looks like MG will beat global models like the Octavia PHEV and other PHEVs from Toyota/ Honda etc to the Indian market.

From a lot of reading I'd done in the past year to understand current Indian hybrids and global ones, my understanding of PHEVs like the Octavia (global), Prius, some new Mazdas (US) is that they can be charged, run on petrol and have features like regenerative breaking. So in addition to behaving like a Hycross hybrid, they can be charged to extend the pure EV range. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think PHEVs will find a sweet spot in the sub-50 lakh space (sedan/ SUV models) thanks to their bringing the best of performance and efficiency.
Old 26th June 2024, 17:09   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Cloud EV spied testing ahead of festive season launch. To rival Tata Nexon EV and Mahindra XUV400

Cloud EV will be positioned between the Comet and ZS EV in MG’s EV lineup.

Name:  20240626045450_4 _ 2024_06_26T164646.920.png
Views: 73
Size:  510.8 KB

MG Motor India to launch 7 new models in 2 years-1-32.jpg

Quote:
The first product from MG’s upcoming product onslaught is expected to be the Cloud EV which will be a 4.3-meter-long vehicle that looks like a cross between a large hatchback and an MPV. The Cloud EV is sold under the Wuling brand name by parent brand SAIC in Indonesia and as the Baojun Yunduo in China, but for India, it will be rebranded as an MG and will be locally produced here
Quote:
The Cloud EV gets two battery pack options overseas – a 37.9kWh and a 50.6kWh, with 360km and 460km range, respectively. It’s powered by a front-axle mounted, permanent magnet synchronous motor that produces 134hp, but it remains to be seen which of these versions will be brought here.

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th June 2024 at 17:13.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks