Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used 2nd-gen Toyota Fortuner today?
Yes 230 51.22%
No 219 48.78%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2024, 20:44   #61
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used 2nd-gen Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmanju View Post
I agree that it's expensive and am currently trying to negotiate a better deal. Additionally, the prices of used cars in Bangalore are high.
Just for the sake of benchmarking, I bought a 2017 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT for 27L last year, 27K kms on the odo and consider that high! Yours definitely is, also the price of used cars in CCU is low compared to rest of India.
BlackBeard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 21:14   #62
BHPian

Quote:
All of a sudden, I stumbled upon a well-maintained 2012 2WD MT Fortuner through a long-known Toyota service advisor. The car appears to be in excellent condition with two owners on paper (originally leased by a company and then transferred to an individual) and 51,000 kilometers on the odometer. The service history looked impressive, and the asking price is 14 lakhs. The owner has an offer from a dealer that is 50,000 less than the asking price.
What is the use case for you. To give you a background, I was in love with the Pajero Sport and bought it pre owned, with over 1L km on the odo and knew what I was getting into. It has already served me beautifully an I have covered over 70K over the last couple of years across India. However, even my love for the car can't make me use it daily. Rest assured, 2012 Fortuner MT would be the same. It is not a daily day driver. But if you are planning to do long trips and do it with the peace of mind only a Toyota can offer and not bother about bad roads/terrain etc, Go for it. This is going to eb more reliable than any new age vehicle from a Indian manufacturer.

You can also go in for remaps etc to add to the fun quotient (I have! and a grin is plastered on my face every time I go on long drives). However , if this is something you plan to use daily in a city, or short drives, stay away. BoF cars are not meant to be driven within cities in start and go traffic.

Quote:
I'm an old-school type; I prefer a simple car with average performance and minimal electrical components. My intention is to keep this car for a minimum of 5 years.

I'm sure some of you may have faced a similar situation, so I'm seeking your suggestions. Should I proceed with buying this Fortuner? Could there be any potential issues in the near term due to it being a 12-year-old diesel vehicle, especially in terms of emissions and regulations?
5 years is nothing for a 40K run Toyota. Red Tape of re registration etc is much simpler now.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 22:46   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeard View Post
Just for the sake of benchmarking, I bought a 2017 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT for 27L last year, 27K kms on the odo and consider that high! Yours definitely is, also the price of used cars in CCU is low compared to rest of India.
Thanks for sharing that benchmark. It's interesting; however, prices in Bangalore seem to be on the higher side. After checking classifieds and other reputable car sellers, it's evident that used car prices there are quite elevated.

Regarding my situation, the owner was kind enough to offer me a price lower than what the Toyota dealer has offered. When I inquired, he mentioned that he was able to connect to my requirements and usage, recalling his own experience when he bought his Fortuner 12 years back.

These types of situations can definitely leave the buyer feeling more confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Damodaran View Post
What is the use case for you.
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Pajero Sport and the insights on the Fortuner MT. I appreciate your perspective.

Mine is a typical scenario: commuting to work, visiting home-town once a month or so, going to my farm whenever I'm in my hometown, visiting temples, and taking a vacation every six months.

Considering the size of the vehicle and its driving dynamics, it might not be suitable for daily use. Nonetheless, I don't intend to maintain two vehicles. If my wife gains the confidence to drive in the coming years, will consider getting a small automatic car.

Thank you for your feedback; it greatly assists me in making my decision.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th March 2024 at 11:18. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
cdmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 21:39   #64
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Thank you for all your suggestions, recommendations, and inputs. After thorough consideration, I went ahead and purchased the pre-worshiped 2012 Fortuner yesterday. It's equipped with a manual transmission and has 54k on the odometer.

The owner was generous enough to offer a good discount, which I'll be using to ensure the car is in great shape. Overall, the buying experience was excellent, and the owner was very kind.

I'm sharing this photo in the group. The car is currently at Ravindu Toyota for servicing and to address any issues. I'll share more photos once I have the car with me.

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used 2nd-gen Toyota Fortuner-fort_photo.jpg
cdmanju is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 22:44   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

Thank you for all your suggestions, recommendations, and inputs. After thorough consideration, I went ahead and purchased the pre-worshiped 2012 Fortuner yesterday. It's equipped with a manual transmission and has 54k on the odometer.

The owner was generous enough to offer a good discount, which I'll be using to ensure the car is in great shape. Overall, the buying experience was excellent, and the owner was very kind.
Congratulations on your purchase. I know that feeling, when you finally buy the car that you've been wanting too for so long.

Enjoy the vehicle and drive safe.
BlackBeard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 08:37   #66
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeard View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. I know that feeling, when you finally buy the car that you've been wanting too for so long.

Enjoy the vehicle and drive safe.
Thank you so much! I'm absolutely thrilled about this purchase and can't wait to hit the road. Safety is definitely a priority for me, so I'll be sure to drive responsibly. Thanks again for your congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
This model year or that older shape is a bit more truck like than the current one , so if you are going to be using it as as a daily driver and it's the only car at home - consider the daily urban use case and ease of use by taking a test drive before concluding.
Thank you for your insight and perspective. I got the car serviced by Toyota and received delivery today. This is not a car, truck disguised as a car, It drives robustly, resembling the power of an animal.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th March 2024 at 11:19. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 11th May 2024, 06:26   #67
LJP

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

I'm sharing this photo in the group. The car is currently at Ravindu Toyota for servicing and to address any issues. I'll share more photos once I have the car with me.

Attachment 2586337
Hi, congrats on the new wheels! Funny enough, I got the same ride about six months back, with pretty much the same mileage - mine had just hit 52,000 kilometers. Can you tell me if yours is the 2015 model with a 4x2 Manual gearbox or the 2012 model with the same setup? It's a cracking car, isn't it? Sure, it's not the comfiest, but it's tough as nails and handles anything you throw at it. I went for the 4x2 Manual, seeing as I don't reckon I'll be venturing into any extreme off-road terrain. Still, it's great for those trips to the hills with dodgy roads. I really dig the look of the Type 1 facelift, it seems they took a leaf out of the LC 200's book. Could you possibly share some more pictures of your Fortuner? Anyway, all the best with your new wheels, and here's to smooth sailing ahead!
LJP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 07:57   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJP View Post
Hi, congrats on the new wheels! Funny enough, I got the same ride about six months back, with pretty much the same mileage - mine had just hit 52,000 kilometers. Can you tell me if yours is the 2015 model with a 4x2 Manual gearbox or the 2012 model with the same setup? It's a cracking car, isn't it? Sure, it's not the comfiest, but it's tough as nails and handles anything you throw at it. I went for the 4x2 Manual, seeing as I don't reckon I'll be venturing into any extreme off-road terrain. Still, it's great for those trips to the hills with dodgy roads. I really dig the look of the Type 1 facelift, it seems they took a leaf out of the LC 200's book. Could you possibly share some more pictures of your Fortuner? Anyway, all the best with your new wheels, and here's to smooth sailing ahead!
Hey there! Thanks so much for the congrats, it's definitely a fun coincidence finding another with the same taste! Mine's actually the 2012 model with the 4x2 manual gearbox. I completely agree about the ruggedness - this thing is a beast!

Just like you, I went for the 4x2 manual for the control and driving experience. Off-roading isn't my thing either, but it tackles those rough hill roads like a champ. The Type 1 facelift really does make it look sharp, doesn't it?

I'd be happy to share some more pictures sometime - always love to see another one out there! Cheers to many smooth miles ahead for both of us!
Old 11th September 2024, 05:35   #69
BHPian

A good friend is looking for a used Gen 2 Fortuner AT preferably in 4*4 guise but 4*2 would also do. He’s been scouting for months on Toyota U-Trust to be on a safer side and recently came across this ad and he’s keen to try it out. Personally I feel Toyota U Trust is charging quite a premium for similar vintage Fortuners. He’s also exploring some options in NCR area but I feel it’s not worth the hassle to re-register the SUV in MH. Thoughts?

I also noted a strange trend that 100s of Fortuners are available on Olx, Carwale etc. but not a single one on Spinny, Cars24 like organized used car players with slightly better peace of mind comparatively speaking. Any idea why? The situation is not very desperate and hence we’re trying to avoid used car dealers on Olx in our hunt for a Fortuner although I don’t see high risk considering solid bulletproof nature of Fortuner.

Request to please share any leads on a good Fortuner 2nd gen in MH. The use case is highway touring with reliability and occasional trip to mountains. The budget is set to 12-14L depending and it has to be Fortuner only to fulfill an old dream

PS: Team BHP classifieds is an obvious daily check but the relevant options here are limited as of now.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used 2nd-gen Toyota Fortuner-img_8026.jpeg  

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used 2nd-gen Toyota Fortuner-img_8027.jpeg  

Last edited by camitesh : 11th September 2024 at 05:35. Reason: Typo
Old 11th September 2024, 11:54   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Voted No

Reasons

1. The car doesn't depreciate at all. Major advantage in used car purchase is the depreciation. Toyotas seldom depreciate as much.

2. It's an overrated car. Reliable, yes. But neither comfortable nor spacious/ easy to use. I find my storme varicor 400 much better suiting my needs than the used 2nd gen fortuner.
Totally agree. Plus it's neither a capable off-roader nor a highway performer. If I am going to spend 40 grand, I would put my bet on a top spec Thar along with an Octavia VRS (Both used)

Return to your point no 1, Toyota's are best to be bought new. I have seen few people who actually sold their Toyota for almost the same price they had bought the car new, after using it for 3~4 years.
SomrajSG is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks