Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car company you think should make a comeback in India? (multiple choice poll)
Ford 588 83.76%
Fiat 231 32.91%
General Motors 96 13.68%
Mitsubishi 275 39.17%
Peugeot 51 7.26%
Others 13 1.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 702. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2023, 11:06   #1
Team-BHP Support

Car companies you think should make a comeback in India

The Indian automotive market is one tough nut to crack. Its ever-changing and dynamic nature means that car companies need to adapt and improvise constantly. It is tricky, but the sheer number of cars sold here makes it hard for manufacturers around the globe to ignore the Indian market. Over the years, we’ve seen so many homegrown as well as foreign car brands enter the Indian market and get tested to their limits.

While some of the brands understand the assignment well and are reaping huge profits, some brands are barely surviving. Recently there was an excellent discussion on how car companies are finding it hard to increase their market share in India (related thread). Then there are car companies that despite having good cars in their portfolio, didn’t make it. As fans of these cars, here are a couple of car companies that I think should make a comeback in India.

Ford

Enthusiasts loved Ford cars as they set the benchmark in their respective segments for being the most fun to drive. However, the American company never managed to increase its market share despite getting an early start (compared to say, Hyundai) and having good cars in its portfolio. High operating costs were cited as the reason for the company’s exit from India. But as an enthusiast, this is the car brand that I wish would make a comeback in India.

Car companies you think should make a comeback in India-fordcars.jpg

Mitsubishi

Just like Ford, Mitsubishi in its prime had some great cars in its portfolio. The Pajero, Outlander, Cedia and the Lancer in their time were all excellent cars. Sadly, the company ran into financial troubles globally and didn’t have anything to offer in the Indian market with changing times. Things aren’t much different today and the company doesn’t have anything special in its global portfolio. But it would be great to see the brand re-enter the market.

Car companies you think should make a comeback in India-mitsubishicars.jpg

Realistically, both these companies will need to do something drastic to make a comeback in India. They’d need an outlandish marketing strategy and a balanced portfolio that would help them re-establish themselves as brands in India. It’s not impossible for a new brand to make an impact on the Indian market without good backing and a great strategy. Kia is a brilliant example of such a company.

Do share which car companies you would like to see make a comeback in the Indian market and what their strategy should be in doing so.
Omkar is online now   (51) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 11:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car companies you think should make a comeback in India

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Omkar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 11:24   #3
BHPian

It has to be FORD for me.

And I do not think they would need too much of an effort to establish their presence, there's plenty of people who have been happy owners of the Ikon, Figo, Endy and of course the Eco Sport.

Maybe a SUV focused launch in the 20-30 L range would be the ideal re-launch in a way Kia started, along with a couple of "halo" models through the CBU route to get the interest churning.

However based on how well Ford is doing internationally without having to cater to a small percentage of market in India, I do not see them coming back anytime soon.
Bhodrolok is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 11:48   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I wish Ford came back. They really have some kickass SUVs & Crossovers which were the best in class (Endeavour, EcoSport). Will always hold a special place in my heart because Ford is the only one to have sold a modern, useable muscle car in India (Mustang).

It wasn't the cars, but poor management that led to Ford India's decline. I hope they come back and only focus on the 20 lakh segment & up. They can't make money selling cheap hatchbacks & sedans (only Maruti, Hyundai & Tata can).
GTO is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 11:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Do share which car companies you would like to see make a comeback in the Indian market and what their strategy should be in doing so.
Nice thread and it has to be FORD for me.

If possible, can you create a poll for this existing thread? May be with Ford, GM, Mitsubishi, Fiat and others. I would love to see the results.

Last edited by madhukarmohan : 19th December 2023 at 11:54.
madhukarmohan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 11:55   #6

It has to be Ford hands-down. If we do a poll amongst us BHPian's I think this brand will get more than 90% of the votes, such was this brand's following amongst enthusiasts.
I agree, it was the poor management which led to the downfall of this brand in India.

Currently I am owning the Facelifted Ecosports and having driven Ikon, Fiesta and OG figo, it pains me to not see this brand in India. The handling, driving dynamics were something to die for.
RootedCosmo is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 12:47   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Ford
Mitsubishi
Ford. Yes. But not for regular operations. Ford should forget the sub 30 lakhs segment exists. They should rather become importers and use their major service centres in the big cities. Something like what Ford Australia is doing. Or they can do what GM is doing with the General Motors Specialty Vehicles company in Australia. Heck, even Chevrolet can make a come back to India that way. Prices won't be an issue.(Talking about Rs.50+ lakh market) If Ford or Chevrolet is selling officially RHD cars in India, even with presence only in major cities, there will be a good number of customers willing to buy them up. I mean, already there are private imports of F150s and Escalades by really influential people. If people can buy them at authorised dealers, there would be much more willing buyers for these. Pity GM and Ford exited by the same time their full size trucks got diesel engines.

Mitsubishi? No. It is a shell of its former self. Most new models are codeveloped or rebadged versions of Nissan- Renault. With Nissan- Renault themselves not on a strong footing in India, less chance of Mitsubishi ever coming back.

Offtopic, and have been discussed in other threads but couldn't hold back. One company that I wish to come to India. Mazda.

Though technically it can be coming back as Mazda was present in India via Swaraj Mazda.
DicKy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 13:10   #8
BHPian

Let's look at an example.

Ford Everest Diesel (erstwhile Indian Endeavour) manufactured in Thailand, is priced at ~ 45 lakhs out of the door in Thailand. A similar specification Ford Explore manufactured in the US (gasoline engine) is priced at approximately 15% less.

If the Everest were to be imported to India, the asking price would fall in the vicinity of high-end brands that consumers in the subcontinent love to own. Which will lead to the same abysmal sales.

Surely, they could manufacture the Explorer in India and Indianize it and give it some desi flavor for trim levels and engines. That would make it really competitive, get higher sales & use it as a base to export as well.

Marketing of vehicles that are run of the mill in their own countries as super luxury and high end in the Indian market, is a thought that needs to change. Kia, Hyundai seem to understand that to some extent.

Last edited by Newtown : 19th December 2023 at 13:11.
Newtown is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 13:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I’d like to see GM back, but only with their flagship products and powertrains through SKD/CKD route. Vehicles like Cadillac Escalade, the new Hummer and like likes of GMC Sierra and Yukon all have potential. There are takers for the XXXXL sized behemoths.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 13:45   #10
BHPian

I would personally like Fiat to make a comeback! They have a long history in India and their products, while flawed, had personality!

I learnt driving in a Fiat Padmini, drove the Uno as my first car and for a decade drove the Sienna, Palio and the Linea.

Yes the driving ergonomics were quirky, the fuel efficiency lagged competition and the dealer support was, eventually non-existent. However the cars themselves were evocative, had sound dynamics and steered like a dream.

The T-Jet remains one of my favourites and I would be very keen to renew my acquaintance with the modern day iteration of this classic!
sassid is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 13:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ford: They already have the after sales network in place. The plant is there. The platforms are there. The powertrains are there. A comprehensive revamp of the EcoSport, like what Tata did to the Nexon will set Ford's cash register ringing again. Also an MPV top hat on the EcoSport's platform as an additional model. Everest-Endeavour can continue as a CKD-SKD import. And the Mustang's can come in via CBU route as it did.

FIAT: Fantastic vehicles. No one complained about the products. Everyone complained about the after sales service network. FIAT knows what it has to do in India to set things right. India loves Fiat. The brand equity is very strong. Mr Aditya Jairaj & Co. can still do it. If they want to.

Mitsubishi: In this SUV crazed market of our's this marquee brand with some of the most coveted nameplates in the SUV world is glaringly absent. The Toyota Fortuner dominates the Rs 50-lakh segment. Would it have been the same if Mitsubishi rolled in with their Pajero's, Oulander's, Eclipse, the mighty L200 (Triton) pickup to fight the Hi-Lux and even the small cars like Delica and the eK Wagon? Maybe new owners Nissan-Renault is plotting something. Who knows.

Brands that should be here

SUBARU: Once upon a time there was a world rally car called the Impreza. It was piloted by some awesomely talented drivers and scared the living daylights of some of the biggest European OEM's competing in WRC. That DNA continues to run to this day in all Subaru's. And yes - no one makes a flat four boxer like they do, do they?

NIO: A Tesla at half the price and probably equal in performance.

INEOS GRENADIER: Ultra Niche. For all the old DEFENDER fanboys out there.

Will add when I remember more!

Drive safe!

Last edited by arjab : 19th December 2023 at 13:51.
arjab is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 13:52   #12
BHPian

Ford, Fiat. Both made extremely capable cars that punched above their weight.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 14:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think Ford is the only mass market car brand that is genuinely missed by car buyers. I had a Fiat
myself but I am not sure what they would have to offer in a new avatar if they were to revive it. Ford seemed to be better placed for the long haul and even about a year before their untimely exit, were opening new dealerships.
On a different note, I would like to wait for a "unique" brand like Mazda if it were to come at all. For some reason I have been fascinated by the name and the cars, right from the 80s.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 19th December 2023 at 14:17.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 14:17   #14
BHPian

As a super happy Freestyle owner, would love to see Ford come back. The most fun cars to drive - have driven the Ecosports,Ikon, the European Fiesta - all amazing cars and now actually own one in the Freestyle! It's a real shame that they could not run their business properly in India despite such fantastic cars! Hope they come back soon!
saumitra_joshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 15:27   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Personally, I think only Ford has a combination of decent enough repute (you don't hear as much negative feedback from the owners of ford vehicles despite them leaving as you do with some manufacturers who are still here), good line up, and desirability to make a good come back.

Even if they launch with only CKD / CBU operations with their SUVs to start with, it could be worth considering - they anyways have service centers - it's a matter of training, and developing sales outlets.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks