Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car company you think should make a comeback in India? (multiple choice poll)
Ford 588 83.76%
Fiat 231 32.91%
General Motors 96 13.68%
Mitsubishi 275 39.17%
Peugeot 51 7.26%
Others 13 1.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 702. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2023, 20:55   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car companies you think should make a comeback in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
What the poll is NOT telling you is the percentage of team-bhpians who don't care if Ford/Fiat/Mitsubishi stays out of India.
Exactly my thoughts. I don't care if anyone makes a comeback. In fact, the existing market has decent models/brands and there is healthy competition. All the companies that left India were because of bad decisions. Ford did not even care of Indianize their indicator stalks. Just a fun to drive engine will not get the nos. I want to see that option in the poll
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 20:59   #62
BHPian

Are people not aware of Mitsubishi's current catalogue? Old exciting Mitsubishis are long gone. I don't understand why so many votes for this brand.

Would certainly like GM and Ford to come back.
GM engines are considered very reliable.
blueather is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 22:44   #63
BHPian

I would love to see the return of General Motors in India but not in entry level segments with Chinese products like Enjoy, Sail. I want them to see them competing in luxury segments by launching Cadillac brand in India. The likes of Escalade, CT-4, CT-5 have their own fan following. They can bring Hummer EV also. Alongside, launching niche cars like Corvette, Camaro can help too.

General Motors need to differentiate themselves from mainstream brands if they want to compete in Indian market.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th March 2024 at 01:02. Reason: Spacing for readability
Bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 23:07   #64
BHPian

I would love Ford to come back because they sort of understand the Indian market and the cars they had. I can't forget the 1.6 IKON which a friend had and we would drag it regularly. And recently the ecosport and endeavour.
Old 20th December 2023, 23:08   #65
BHPian

Having driven Fiat for 15 years, voted for same.

Both Palio and Punto were ultra reliable and loaded to grills in terms of features, especially Punto.

Regrettably, the brand failed to garner trust of Indian consumers on the Service front.

Alternatively, I would want GM to bring back the Opel brand to India. Both Astra and Corsa were fantastic products.

Last edited by kapilsharma80 : 20th December 2023 at 23:09. Reason: Fixed spell check
kapilsharma80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 23:54   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueather View Post
Are people not aware of Mitsubishi's current catalogue? Old exciting Mitsubishis are long gone. I don't understand why so many votes for this brand.
Same here, I dont understand why people voted for Mitsubishi. Thier glory days are gone. Thier current catalogue has lost the vital soul : that rally pedigree inspired vehicles like Lancer, gallant. Watch this video and in 24 minutes you will get the idea why NO Mitsubishi:

ritedhawan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 00:55   #67
BHPian

Voted for FORD.

We haven’t owned car from any other brands (which have shut down in India) hence, can be biased.

We own a Ford EcoSport which has been a little over 4 years and has been extremely reliable. Ergonomics for most are spot on, handling for this segment is good and the 1.5L TDCi engine, though pretty old is fairly drivable. Features (ours is a Titanium S variant) still help the car to not feel outdated in 2023. As far as ASC goes, Mr. Sandesh from Rudraa Ford (in Mira Road) has eased up the annual service jobs. Will rate Ford ASC more than Skoda ASC, surprisingly for a company which has shut down doing a better job (be it service, parts availability, parts ETA or even RSA) than a company which is still selling in India.

A glimpse of our car, which I hope is not cross posted in Weird and Wacky Mods .
(Chose function over form).

Car companies you think should make a comeback in India-img_8434.jpeg
P.S. Registration Plate was fitted back after clicking this picture.
Old 21st December 2023, 01:38   #68
BHPian

Vote for FIAT and FORD

Have a 2013 Fiat Linea MJD. Was flooded in the Chennai 2015 floods. Brought back to life. Never had any issues till it got flooded again in the recent Chennai floods with the odo reading at 1.99 lakhs.

For long was hoping that Fiat would bring in the newer models like Tipo to India. Never happened. Ford always made goods handling cars. Ikon and fiesta were wonderful cars so was the Endeavour.

We need more brand of cars which are fun to drive, or will be left with only tech loaded and mileage oriented cars. For me driving is a passion and love great handlers over tech comforts.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st December 2023 at 03:33. Reason: Minor clean up and spacing edits.
Old 21st December 2023, 01:50   #69
BHPian

Heck! I want Honda to do well in India, I want Honda to bring its global portfolio to India.

Perfect Honda for me would have 5 engines manufactured in India.
  1. 1.0 ltr Turbo
  2. 1.2 ltr NA
  3. 1.5 ltr NA
  4. 1.5 ltr Turbo
  5. 1.5 ltr Hybrid

And these Engines would fit into following products.
  1. Honda Brio and Honda AMAZE competing with swift/dezire and i10s/Aura of the world, with 1.2 NA as the base engine and 1.0lts turbo in a RS trim….both coupled with 5 speed and 6 speed manual gearboxes respectively and a option to have CVT.
  2. Honda JAZZ with same powertrain as brio, but being a masterclass in packaging and space with added features, this for me will compete with premium hatchbacks of the world and going by the market trends, people are willing to buy a 12-14 lac rupee car, example being i20.
  3. Next would be HONDA W-RV, I want them to invent a new class for it coz its not as big as the Nexons and Brezzas but its also not a Micro SUV, like before it should have the same powertrain as the JAZZ but Honda can choose to give it a Hybrid Power train as seen on CITY E:HEV
  4. Next in line would be our mighty HONDA CITY, this car should define Honda as a brand in India, offering 1.0 turbo and 1.5 NA in the base trim and mid trims and go bonkers with 1.5 ltr Turbo in a RS trim and Hybrid in E:HEV spec, i would love to see it compete with everything from compact SUVs to Executive Sedans.
  5. Next would be HONDA ELEVATE with same drivetrains as HONDA CITY and define the compact SUV space in India.
  6. Next I would want them to bring in HONDA Z-RV, and it can get 1.5 turbo and 1.5 hybrid powertrain, and compete with Jeep Compass
  7. They can use the AMAZE platform and/or the CITY platform and make a 7-seater version of both reviving Mobilio and/or B-RV nameplate to take on the likes Ertiga and Carens

Further I would want them to have a CKD Line in their manufacturing plants, here they can bring in kits from Japan and offer low volume but aspirational products and use the same engines manufactured in India

Like HONDA CIVIC can come in with 1.5 hybrid and 1.5 turbo engines and be the sedan in 20-30 lac space, there is nothing right now.

They can get in HONDA C-RV, and this can also get CIVIC powertrain or HONDA can offer an imported 2.0ltr engine for the same and be the SUV to buy in 35-45 lac range.

They also get in HONDA ACCORD and HONDA PASSPORT as Kits from USA with 2.0 ltr Hybrid powertrain and fill out the niche which KIA Carnival is trying to fill and also compete with CAMRY and SUPERBS of the world.

In my ideal world HONDA would also cater to us enthusiasts with a CIVIC Type-R as a CBU from Japan, priced at 49.99 lacs, making it THE sports car under a crore rupees, even if the take losses in each type-r they sell, but the amount of coverage and publicity amongst enthusiasts they’ll get would be all worth it.

This is my imaginary world, where Honda is ready to invest in India and wants to be amongst the top 3 manufacturers in our country.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st December 2023 at 03:34.
Santy19 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 02:30   #70
BHPian

Fiat for me. I learnt driving in the Fiat. We owned a couple of Fiats. My early memories of getting dropped to school in Coonoor in a Fiat. We used to get the car painted every year at Koyas, Coimbatore with the customary seat change as well. My mother, a gynaecologist, was the Protoganoist and, guess, I got her genes!

Come back, Fiat!
I have added a picture of my uncle @trrk bhpian who passed away in 2010.He taught me driving in the red padmini that you see, and, later on in a Peugeot 304.This Peugeot had a floor shift which was a first then, atleast for me. This was 1984!!
Memories!!
Attached Thumbnails
Car companies you think should make a comeback in India-img_20231006_110145.jpg  

Last edited by rajeevsulu : 21st December 2023 at 02:38. Reason: Adding content
rajeevsulu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 03:28   #71
BHPian

Ford it is!

How badly I wish for Endeavour to come back. If Endy was present, it would have been in my garage over the Jeep. Even if they discontinued after I had purchased it, I would still retain it with love and care.

Strangely, don’t know what came first; this Poll/Thread or News that Ford is not selling its plant!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th March 2024 at 01:01. Reason: Spacing for readability
Old 21st December 2023, 04:47   #72
BHPian

Fiat and Ford for me. If the Ecosport was selling now with that diesel engine, my wife will be driving one now. If Fiat had upgraded their line up after Punto/Linea, I probably wouldn’t have looked anywhere else for upgrading. Always hoped the Tipo will make a launch here, but that didn’t happen.

My Punto was mechanically solid even after one lakh kms on the odo. It had a really tough to beat driving dynamics. When I first took my Compass on the highway I was thinking the Punto had same or may be slightly better highway manners at a third of the cost.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th March 2024 at 01:01. Reason: Spacing for readability
Old 21st December 2023, 07:23   #73
BHPian

Would like to see Chevy and Ford back here. I was driving a Chevy Aveo for almost 7 years and sold it on 2012. Such a reliable car at that time.

Instead of bringing Sonic as successor they introduced Sail series and after that down trends started.

Like the cars from Ford stable, especially ford endeavour and ecosport.

Old 21st December 2023, 08:56   #74
BHPian

If I am being pragmatic, none. No offence to the proud owners and I am sure some of you were lucky to have an amazing ownership experience, but they all left the Indian market as failures because the majority customer base rejected them. Would it be any different if they made a comeback? I doubt it. Most products and services will almost certainly be overpriced for what they offer, again.

That said, I would choose Ford from the options available. A pipe dream that an Endeavour would at least keep the prices of Fortuner in check.
Old 21st December 2023, 08:59   #75
BHPian

My first choice would be Ford. Excellent cars they have made and sold in India. From the Josh machine to the ecosport all have given immense driving pleasure to us.

The second choice is Mitsubishi, the Lancer and the Pajero are my favorite. But, Mitsubishi as a whole ( car division) is not doing great the world over. The new Mitsubishi on sale internationally are not worthy of their legacy. Come on Mitsubishi start making great cars again.

A Big No to

GM: They could have done much better in their second stint but, they squandered that opportunity. Sub par copy cat designs were forced on us (diluting the chevrolet brand). Their only saving grace being the Cruze (lovely car).

Fiat: was given umpteen number of opportunities by our Indians and they never held up to the trust kept on them. Their cars were excellent but, they never had a future product lineup after their initial launch from the uno (first stint), palio (second stint), Punto (third stint). They were happy selling the 1.3 crdi (national engine of India) and the 2 lit crdi nowadays. But, they should be given the credit for making a lot of Indians to buy cars due to their gem of an engine (1.3 crdi) which made driving cars affordable.

Peugeot: Lost in translation. Lovely car (309) they had but...

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th March 2024 at 01:00. Reason: Spacing for readability

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks