View Poll Results: What would you do?
Buy Version 1 53 11.40%
Wait for Version 2 135 29.03%
Depends on the brand 277 59.57%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2023, 11:04   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Would you buy Version 1 of a freshly launched car?

Although the sensible choice would be to wait for Version 2, we have always got the version 1 except for the Swift (which was the first gen facelift).

We booked the Ecosport right after the launch while the Creta was booked on the day of the price reveal (we got one of the first cars in Kerala).

Two things that worked against me when I got the Creta:

1. The most obvious one and the reason why I still retain this - 1.6 CRDi.
2. 5 Alloys. This was later changed to steel rims for the spare.
3. Price - Yes, it was expensive by atleast 1 Lakh but was able to save some money initially.

Of course, there are disadvantages as well:

1. The ABS sensor had issues and heard the vendor was changed for the second generation.
2. Missed the Android Auto/Apple Carplay which was introduced a year later.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 11:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Voted for depends on the brand.

I would consider buying a car from Kia, Hyundai, Ford (God I wish they come back), Honda and Toyota in the first batch, provided I am happy with the overall package.

Apart from these brands, I would go for Mahindra, Nissan, Renault in V2 phase of the PLC. Ditto for the luxury brands.

I would not buy or buy a VW, Skoda, Tata only in their V3 of PLC.
Old 19th December 2023, 11:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
One thing for sure: If I have to buy V1, it would always be from a Japanese brand (or max Korean). But with German brands & Indian carmakers (e.g. Safari or XUV700), it would always be a minimum of 2 years post-launch. Practiced the same with my Thar. I don't want to be a guinea pig.
+1 to that. Voted for 3 - depends on the brand.
V1 only for Japanese and Korean brands. V2 for everything else. German brands post face-lift / LCI.
Of all my cars, the only one I bought within weeks of launch has been the current gen Verna 1.5 Turbo PETROL DCT and happy to report absolutely no buyer's remorse. Yes there are 40-50k discounts now, but it doesn't compare against the 6 months and 13K KMs of ownership, adventures and memories.
Old 19th December 2023, 11:36   #34
BHPian

A dependable brand with a proven track record (like, say, Honda or Toyota) that doesn't make you run from pillar to post with it's never ending niggles? Yes. I definitely won't hesitate to try out the version one, but with my eyes open.

Brands with a different history, like say, Tata or Mahindra? I'll probably wait for them to iron out all the unsavory bits, niggles, the rough edges, which will probably take them five years at least. My sincere hope is by that time my attention would be elsewhere.
Old 19th December 2023, 11:46   #35
BHPian

Voted for (.) Depends on the brand.
In India the conditioning is such that first versions are untested, unreliable and should stay away. It’s not true for foreign brands. The vehicle quality is dependent on many factors. There are cases when first versions are in fact better. For example when Chevrolet launched Beat in India they launched CKD units initially. Once they started manufacturing here they shaved off a good 200kg from sheet metal.
This is the difference.
Old 19th December 2023, 11:58   #36
BHPian

Voted for: Depends on the brand.
Maruti 800 SS80, sky blue anytime a well oiled aged classic, touch nothing change nothing.
Second choice the sunshine yellow jelly bean Zen.

Last edited by Vinod_nair : 19th December 2023 at 11:59.
Old 19th December 2023, 12:28   #37
BHPian

I cannot vote here since I am new to the forum.
My choice would be to wait for Version 2. I guess another choice should have been wait for 6 months. Manufacturers don't release a new version to fix an issue. They usually fix the issues as they get feedback from the service centers. Most of the mechanical and non-mechanical short-term issues and the unwanted squeaks and rattles are taken care silently in the new batches. My ideal choice would be to wait for around half-year and look at customer feedback and then finalize. Negative customer feedback about mechanical issues would make me stay away from a new release.
Old 19th December 2023, 12:31   #38
BHPian

V2 for me. So far most of my cars have been bought in their mature life cycle. Be it the Civic, V40, Tiago or the Kodiaq. This meant that they are mostly trouble free with major niggles ironed out. I don't mind if they are getting phased out or being replaced, all I want is a proven car which should be a keeper!
Old 19th December 2023, 13:31   #39
BHPian

Voted for depends on the brand

My past 2 cars were first-generation ones, both from Hyundai. I bought a Hyundai Xcent in 2014, it was a no-nonsense car, that served me for a good 60000 km. While I was planning for a car in 2014, I wanted to compact sedan and my budget was strictly with mid variant around 7L. Compared to Dzire, Xcent had a lot more to offer for the mid variant and I found it VFM. So we decided to go with Xcent. My time with the brand Hyundai was really sweet, Xcent didn't give me any issues whatsoever, and this induced confidence in me while I was on a car hunt in 2019.

I bought the first-generation Hyundai Venue immediately after the car was launched in June 2019. I went for SX variant which is a variant below the top model, but except for the bluelink, rear wiper, and leather seats, it had almost everything that is required. Venue also fared well in this 4.5 years, except for a couple of issues, headlight issue (replaced in warranty), seat stitching came off, and camera malfunction (awaiting for warranty replacement) it is a gem of a car.
Old 19th December 2023, 13:32   #40
BHPian

I usually hold my car cars for long (8-10 years). So, it makes sense to buy a sorted product. Don't want a product that starts giving me headaches right from the get go.

In fact, my 2021 Tucson (3rd Gen) is the final version of the Tucson to be sold in India before Hyundai launched the 4th Gen in 2022. Really happy with the car so far.

That said, a lot depends on the manufacturer as well. We all know how the Harriers and Safaris of the world are still plagued with sporadic issues even after 4 years of launch.

Better be safe than being a guinea pig!!

Last edited by anshu1101 : 19th December 2023 at 13:35.
Old 19th December 2023, 13:48   #41

Honda has always launched the "City" with few features reserved for the V2, subtle changes to the exterior few additional gimmicks making it feel & look better, performance has been the same for the past two decade
Old 19th December 2023, 13:51   #42
BHPian

Let alone a car. I wouldn't even buy a motorbike.
I learned it the hard way by buying a Bajaj Pulsar 180 back in 2002. Had a clutch replacement (under warranty) in less than 6 months with advice to not keep the bike in the side-stand when parked for long. According to them, oil drains out from the clutch and gets dry overnight which leads to premature clutch failure. Never had this issue in any other bike I owned.
Should I remind anyone of the first gen Indica?
Old 19th December 2023, 14:10   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I prefer buying the latest model available since we will hold on to it for longer and it feels fresher over the years, but of course it's all subjective to the following:

1. New engine? Like the BS6 / 6.2 updates, better to wait it out - E20 compatible / rule out DPF issues. If it's a similar reworked / globally available engine than can consider V1 unless of course it's an E10/E20 issue.

2. What are the new features on offer & can they be disabled? If nothing really extra ordinary - I'd get V1. Sunroof, ventilated seats, etc. don't need me to wait.
If it's something unique, critical, and new to the market like ADAS - I'd wait for V2.

3. Brand! Some brands like VW/Skoda/Audi need a cooling period of 1 year to figure out the issues and get them resolved - but not necessarily a face life. Some like Tata, Mercedes, etc. - it's better to wait for the V2 face lift for issues to be properly resolved (with hope on our side). Unfortunately there isn't any brand that has proven they can build reliable cars from day 1 consistently - most do require that initial 6-12months to resolve niggles.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 14:34   #44
BANNED

Voted- Depends on the brand.

When it comes to Honda and Toyota, i would not mind buying the version 1. Have done that in the past and would follow in future.

Suzuki and Hyundai are equally good now, when it comes to flawless launch.
Old 19th December 2023, 14:43   #45
BHPian

I have a TATA Altroz XZ Optional (One of the first Batch cars). We were so close to finalizing on the deal with the Honda Amaze but after sitting in the Altroz we changed our mind. After taking delivery we had these issues within the first 6 Months

- Famous Kirr-Kirr noise (Gear shift linkage).
- PEPS issue.
- Jerking in first gear (AL04 Update made it little better).
- Bonnet switch becoming loose
- Spark plugs (Few vehicles had issues).

One reason why I had went with Altroz even though it was a Version 1 is because i knew it's the same engine which was powering the Tiago and it's not a complex engine. Avoided diesel due to BS-6

Would I buy a TATA Version 1 vehicle again? - NOPE i learnt my lesson.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks