Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy an MUV over other cars?
Yes 216 52.55%
No 195 47.45%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2023, 15:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why MUVs / MPVs are the most competitive bodystyle today

I made a switch from an MPV(Ertiga) to a Sedan and enjoying the drive. However it is very difficult finding another sedan due to all this pseudo SUV craze.

Between the SUV and MUV form factor, I would definitely go with an MUV for all the practicality it offers and for being relatively better with aerodynamics and handling etc(with respect to a SUV)
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 15:41   #32
BHPian

Voted YES.

I transitioned from a Rapid DSG to XUV700 AWD. I generally tour a lot in South TN where roads are littered with potholes and sometimes non existent.

I found the Rapid to be impractical in such places, especially with my prosthetic limb. I couldn’t get out and walk in slush or on uneven terrain. So I wanted a vehicle that could bring me that much closer to my destination.

Most people prefer S/M UVs over Sedan mainly for the ground clearance. The higher perch is a bonus, but most BOFs come with a step-up cabin that are not senior friendly for ingress/egress.
The Monocoques of today offer better ergos with urbane handling and a comparable GC and many of them are near car like to drive, which adds to the attraction quotient.
careind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 15:44   #33
BHPian

MPV owner. Voted Yes! Our humble Evalia couldn't manage to get mention on thread, so here it is!

- Gem of an oil burner. 1.5 K9K from Renault.
- Excellent space packaging. Everybody in Airport parking staff knows me.
- It's something everybody admires, and nobody wants to own it!

Why MUVs / MPVs are the most competitive bodystyle today-img_20170422_170823249.jpg

Last edited by zalaps : 8th December 2023 at 15:47. Reason: corrected
zalaps is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 15:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes.
Purely for the reason of the entire family travelling together.

Recently got a chance as a rear passenger in 3 Ertigas(1.3 MJD and K15C CNG) and an Innova Crysta for over 300kms each and I can vouch for everything that's mentioned in the first post.

While the Innova's capabilities are well known I was actually surprised by how good a car the Ertiga was. Similar width as the Swift but the space inside is immense. We are a short sized family and 6 occupants with 4 strollers and 3 soft luggage was easily accommodated by folding down one 3rd row seat. Also the last row was more comfortable than the Crysta in addition to the ingress-egress being much easier.

Even the Triber seems like a good option for folks in the wagonR segment.

Would I buy one for myself ? No I am a sedan/hatch person.
Would I buy one as a do it all car with a 6-7 occupants capacity ? Yes, without a doubt.
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 16:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

For regular driving, a Turbo CVT Triber is good enough. I simply cannot fathom why Renault has prioritized the Kiger over the Triber for installing that engine. It is an absolute waste of a well engineered cabin design.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 17:22   #36
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Currently have a Hexa XTA and Punch AMT.

For ease of tackling Bangalore's Urban Jungle I always prefer Hexa over Punch. Hexa is my daily office drive as well as our outstation drive. Whenever I am sure that I can get parking space at destination, I always take Hexa. Whenever I have to take kids to narrow lanes to their friend's Birthday party, I take Punch. If I have to go during heavy traffic times, I always take Hexa. Whenever I need to go to a place where I am sure of not finding parking, I take my 2011 Vista. I don't get intimidated by crazy drivers in Hexa or Vista, but Punch seems too delicate (prone to scratches) to fight urban battles on Indian roads.
speed79 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 18:37   #37
BANNED

Voted Yes. I'll keep it short, if you have secondary a car for your short drives, it's very tough to beat an MPV in everything else.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 19:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Voted a big YES.
I've experienced tiny hatchbacks, bigger hatchbacks, sedans and then the MUV: Ertiga. I don't think I'll ever go back to owning any other body style vehicle. Of course, they are little less fun to drive than sedans, but the practicality they offer is unmatched.

Summary: There should be at least one MUV in your slightly extended family
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 21:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
MPV owner. Voted Yes! Our humble Evalia couldn't manage to get mention on thread, so here it is!

- Gem of an oil burner. 1.5 K9K from Renault.
- Excellent space packaging. Everybody in Airport parking staff knows me.
- It's something everybody admires, and nobody wants to own it!

Attachment 2540905
Thanks for reminding about Evalia. In my earlier post, I mentioned that, only thing wish in current MUVs are sliding doors which is currently available only in Carnival and Velfire. I almost forgot that Evalia, which was an affordable MUV had the immensely practical sliding doors.
sreejithkk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 01:04   #40
BHPian

Nope! MPV’s are best suited for cabbies or large families who travel together frequently, for single use all that bulk seems unnecessary and also there is no pride aspect in driving an MPV solo compared to say driving a large SUV ,they are best suited when used for their intended purposes.
And also one has to factor in the segment of faux SUV’s which are essentially a MPV underneath , there was the XUV 500 which kickstarted the segment and now there’s the 700, Tata Safari and then the Hycross , monocoque, front wheel driven, more fuel efficient than say a BOF 4x4, rides better maybe not as good as a true blue MPV but still offers best of both worlds.

Last edited by VwRabbit : 9th December 2023 at 01:14.
VwRabbit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 06:08   #41
Team-BHP Support

Voted: Yes

Would it find place in a one car garage for me - more likely not. But that’s moot for the foreseeable future and I definitely see a lot of value in them.

I can definitely see MPV that barring a few isolated issues I’d love to have in my garage even today - these are the Kia Carens, Innova Hycross and the Kia Carnival (only issue being that its diesel offering only as sold last).

I really like cars that can offer practicality, comfort and fungible use while at the same time being ‘nice enough’ to drive and there are enough vehicles that offer this combination on sale even today.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 09:07   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted NO.

Revealed preference - I have bought 2 hatchbacks, 3 sedans and 3 Crossovers but no MUV or Minivan so far.

While we tend to think of a Minivan and a MUV as belonging to the same class, to my mind, they are as different as a Sumo and a Range Rover - superficially similar but completely different in terms of refinement and comfort.

Agree that the Carens is more minivan than MPV and the Ertiga comes close. But to compare the Innova Crysta and the Kia Carnival does gross injustice to the Carnival. The Carnival is much more car like to drive, and far more comfortable than the Crysta, much less earlier generation products that the Crysta is a successor of. Have not travelled enough in the Hycross to comment on the same.

But even the best minivans have a boring Soccer Mom image - and while I am not the most image conscious car buyer, it is enough to rule out the category.

Of course I do rent MPVs and Minivans on vacations - the Crysta is the only product that works when we travel (family of 5 plus luggage) locally and I have rented a Dodge Grand Caravan twice several years ago on family trips to the US. But that is renting a tool - while a personal car is an extension of your personality. And MPVs don’t qualify as personal cars for me.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 11:06   #43
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Indians always want a big car. Indians always want a car with more value. Therefore, if a big MPV with reasonable cost (including maintenance) is launched then they will definitely consider buying it.

Personally, I would love to own a Carnival. In fact, I am saving up for it. If I continue to stay in India till 2025-26, I will buy the new Carnival for sure. I have done my research and it is all the car I want. It is big, car like to drive, very very comfortable, reliable, etc etc etc.

Recently, I happened to use the XL6 and I thought it is a really great car. It is a lot more car for the same price as a Nexon, Sonet etc. The engine and transmission is great for everyday driving, the space is fantastic, it has the features one would need and the backing of Maruti. I love the looks too.

My ideal garage, from the cars currently on sale in India, would be -
Kia Carnival
Mahindra ScorpioN
Toyota Camry
sjain2054 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 11:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

MPVs are the best bodystyle in the way that oats are the best food. Healthy, easy to digest, easy to consume, and can be given some flavour by adding other bits. Try claiming that oats are the best food though, and you'll probably have bricks being thrown at you

The best bodystyle is the estate, which, for reasons I cannot fathom, is utterly ignored by everyone except a couple of German car manufacturers and 1-2 others.
pranavt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 13:44   #45
BHPian

Voted NO. It is a personal choice after all.
Anyway, for me it’s a sedan anytime. Only time I would take an MPV is when we are a group of more than 5 which rarely occurs in my case. 2-3 times a year. And even in such cases, we are left with almost zero luggage space. Third row is uncomfortable in all the MPVs we have as of now. Third row passengers get thrown around at corners. Yes, it do serve purpose. But for me it’s not the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks