Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy an MUV over other cars?
Yes 216 52.55%
No 195 47.45%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2023, 11:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why MUVs / MPVs are the most competitive bodystyle today

As my personal car it will always be a 2 door Jeep till I`m able to climb into it.

I spent good amount of time in an XL6 AT(latest version) and absolutely loved the practicality of it, although the drive train is purely commuter spec given its ease of use I think it would make a great sedan \ crossover replacement - for a gentle driver.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 11:10   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Why MUVs are a better choice than other cars today

Today, most car buyers prefer SUVs over anything else. This is mainly because these vehicles offer
  1. higher seating which means a better view of the road
  2. seating for 5-7 people
  3. large size & butch styling along with commanding road presence which is important in India where "might is right" on the road
  4. large and powerful engines and
  5. high ground clearance which is necessary to deal with the large bumps and uneven & unpaved patches of road - a common problem in India.
One more point to add here. MUV's have better comfort in middle row compared to back row in sedans or hatchbacks. Simple reason behind this is middle row don't sit on top of rear tires. In hatchbacks or sedans, second row seat is on tires. Even in 5 seater small SUV's like Nexon, Venue, Creta, etc. rear seat is on rear tires which causes little bumpy or not so relaxed ride.

I have Ertiga and whoever sits in my car always admire its middle seat comfort. Recently we went to trip and we had total 3 cars, Ertiga, Ecosport and Hyundai Aura. All members were willing to sit in my Ertiga due to its comfy middle row.

After using Ertiga for 7 + years now (Old + new), I always prefer MUV over sedan anytime. It offers lots of combinations and very useful to carry 7-8 people for short run and to carry luggage plus 5-6 people for trips in comfort.
aniketi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 11:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes.

Would prefer MPV/MUV over sedans if possible particularly in case of a single car garage. Unless SUV is really appealing, MPV/MUV gets the job done with more comfort and most of them have airier interiors IMHO.

Currently have 2012 Innova and 2014 City petrol in my garage, Innova is too big for urban confines, and shines on wider highways. Sedans, I love them but arent' practical for our roads, with exception of Slavia/Virtus.

Overall, if one is having heavy highway usage, MPV/MUV would shine.
Old 8th December 2023, 11:15   #19
BHPian

Yes, yes and Yes. I will opt for a MPV if given choice or I have a budget for it if I'm car shopping.
I agree it won't have a racing dynamics of a polo/vento or point and shoot ability of hot hatch or drive over road divider ability of a thar, but then I am more than happy to take out ONE car instead of two on road trip for 6 people in 2 seperate cars, rather sitting along with 6 people, enjoying, talking and being together. A MPV will sip lesser fuel than 2 cars anyway. Got pets? Move them in the back. Need to move house? MPV is the way. Passenger wants to recline their seat and form a bed? MPV can do, hatch and sedans can't (wagonR had this ability at one point).

Ofcourse, given that's i have a small hatchback in my home for city errands so that i don't have to pull big car on small roads. A wagonR, Tiago or celerio will do just fine in City

Nothing matches the practicality of MPV and i guess, it's positives can surely supress the negatives.
Sam800 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 11:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-saan View Post
Voted No
even better if it’s the estate version
Indians never got to like the estates. I remember a few Ambassador and Premier Padmini Estates from my childhood and later the likes of the Palio and Indica estates.

I would seriously consider a E63 AMG estate over the sedan and even over the Viano.
cooldip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 11:33   #21
BHPian

Until last year I would have voted a big no but a profound yes now. But tastes change and more so after owning one.

We researched a lot in year 2022 for a next change after enjoying a remapped Figo. But owning hatchbacks like Punto, Polo had spoiled us so much that nothing in 10-15L bracket was striking a chord. I had this notion in mind that I would never own an MPV back until then. After discussions and showroom visits I finally handed over it to my wife as I was unable to pick any. With work from home opening up we were thinking to slowly coming back to 2 car garage which we had given up in covid. Wife chose the XL6 and this last 1 year has been nothing short of a dramatic shift in my mindset, driving style and judging cars.

Pros of an MPV:
*Loads of space inside. We literally carried almost 8 bags for a 15 days trip. XL6 secret storage within boot is as big as my Figo's entire boot
*Seating combinations. This is with almost every MPV nowadays i guess. The sheer number of combinations possible with seats to achieve a comfortable touring is unmatched.
*Mileage. Even with all seats occupied I don't see mileage takes a serious hit which would have a double expense if 2 cars were used for same trip.
*Touring range. For me vacation within India has to be through roads. I have done all this in hatchbacks but MPV has just given me the extra comfort and realistic higher range from occupants comfort point.

Cons of an MPV:
* Handling is not the forte. I used to be the guy who would play with tyres, suspension to get the handling perfect on hatchbacks. It's a shift in my mindset now and I have also become sedate driver with max being 120-130 kmph
*Looks. They do not look butch. And I don't care about how people perceive of it. But yes, looks seel in our country.
*Grunt. May be specific to XL6, it does lack the outright grunt of a turbo powered engine. But for me its compensated by the sheer refinement this engine has and within 80kmph the battery assist works great. No lag under 80kmph.

I would like to keep this for longest time even if another car joins us.
Lastly two shots which should speak for the purpose or capability of such a car.
Detour to Kishangarh on a trip to Goa.
Why MUVs / MPVs are the most competitive bodystyle today-pxl_20221218_073945486.jpg
Losar to Koksar stretch on a Spiti circuit.
Why MUVs / MPVs are the most competitive bodystyle today-img_6013.jpg

OT, back in 2022 I was thinking we will get an MPV now and I get a 4wd car later. No matter how much I am yearning for Jimny right now I find it hard to justify to myself the additional capabilities apart from snow trips or I develop a taste for off-roading weekends.

Last edited by ChauhanSaurabh : 8th December 2023 at 11:59.
ChauhanSaurabh is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 11:54   #22
BHPian

Voted a YES, but only if I was to consider it as a second car, not as my primary car.

MUV/MPVs are a very practical body style and surely has it's perks. Unfortunately, affordable ones like the Ertiga / XL6 lack that road presence or that feel of flare. Again this is very subjective, but I have always wanted my cars to have a character, which MUV's lack in my opinion.

But if I needed a second car that could make sure my family and parents could travel together with comfort and not much fuss, I will any day want an MUV. The no nonsense, neutral character is a boon in those circumstances. You are not pushing the car to limits, nor going off the roads and mostly cruising and covering distances on good tarmac.

The main grudge I have with MUV's selling in India is how badly undersized they are in the tyre department. That XL6 would have looked so good with bigger tyres or for that matter even the Innova Hycross.

Deb
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 12:00   #23
BHPian

Voted No.
I have a 2 car garage :
2012 Corolla Altis Petrol and 2015 SCross 1.6 diesel.

I'd rate the Sedan as a more comfortable space than the diesel rocket.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 12:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

* I have voted YES!

* It is because I was spoilt after owning my Renault Triber with the comfort and practicality on offer, and after upgrading to my Aria, I kind of have the best of both worlds.

* I still have the space and comfort of the MPV, with some additional ground clearance and AWD capabilities of an SUV, a true Cross-Over in every sense, as was advertised when Aria was launched!

* As long as possible, I will continue to buy this body style, and enjoy the benefits which a small hatchback or C-SUV cannot offer to me or to my family.
AdityaDeane is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 12:31   #25
BHPian

Yeah I love MPVs. I would totally buy a Carnival if it wasn't that expensive.
Old 8th December 2023, 13:05   #26
BHPian

Voted for a sedan as we recently bought a moderately expensive one when we could have easily bought the Innova Hycross instead, my heart was set on the Octavia and somehow couldnt change it to buy the Hycross and all family members agreed that Octy was acceptable, however, if Kodiaq was available at around 40 lakhs would have certainly gone for that considering better ingress and egress for senior parents, but we maxed out our budget buying the Octy, In my opinion, following are the benefits of a sedan vs MPV

- Controlled side to side movements
- Much better panic braking behavior
- Nice ride at highway speeds
- Good space for 4 adults
- Huge well shaped boot
- 95% of the time our car has 1 or 2 passengers, so dont need to drive a huge MPV like Innova around city limits

Benefits of MPVs vs a sedan
- Easier ingress and egress
- More space in general
- Practical for large families who travel together
- Higher value for money quotient with the ability to carry more people
abaliga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 13:24   #27
BHPian

For someone with motion sickness and migraines, sedan is the way to go. I would prefer notchback aka Octavia / BMW GT for the practicality over any MPV any day for me as even the thought of an Innova makes me want to puke.
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 13:25   #28
ike
BHPian

I'd have got an Innova crysta instead of the Harrier had they not discontinued the AT diesel.
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 14:44   #29
BHPian

Voted Yes!!!

Reasons-

1. Sheer practicality.
2. Good people mover- we are quite a big family and have used 2010 Maruti Eeco extensively to visit our native 3-4 times a year 300 km from one side and it was so useful.
3. Moving luggage from Pune to native and back. Lots of space available. Generally while returning; we used to have few people ( my cousins staying there and we used to return back) helped us bring back more and more luggage of all kinds from farm goods like homemade ready to eat annual items.
4. High ground clearance. Just no worries of scrapping.
5. Many value for money options these days.

Currently I drive a Honda city but an MPV / MUV is sure on cards.

Size is no issue for me as I love to drive bigger cars.

Lower mileage than a car is ok when u move with more members and have more fun.

My next purchase will sure be a MUV / MPV- either new or pre owned route.

Cheers
Old 8th December 2023, 15:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Knowing how popular they are with families and convenient for airport runs, my vote is a No
I do not feel any emotional connection with the MUV body style (made worse by remarks from some on 'SUV type' car!) and I'm as unlikely to drive one as I am to own one.

Specific reference to MPVs (van!) which appeal to me for their lack of posturing as an SUV

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 8th December 2023 at 15:16.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks