Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2023, 20:41   #1
BHPian

Only 1 Red Porsche Macan in India, and we can't get our hands on it!

Need help!

A close friend is in the market with a budget of INR 1cr and has fallen in love with the Porsche Macan, specifically the red colour, 2L Petrol variant.On behalf of him, I have been front-ending all conversations with Porsche dealers. We visited the Porsche Mumbai Santacruz dealership 3 weeks back. He test drove the car and the decision was made.

Porsche Mumbai quoted an on-road price of INR 1.19cr.(includes INR 4 lakh additional for the red colour). Since the car was clearly INR 20L above budget, we started negotiating for a good deal. At the time, they had one brand new red Macan and a demo Red Macan. The demo car having 3000kms on the odometer was being offered at INR 1.13cr. He was very clear, he wanted a brand new Red Porsche Macan only. They were offering a 4-year warranty at no additional cost with the new Macan.

The dealership did not budge on price and my friend decided to pull the trigger and go ahead with the purchase at INR 1.19cr. However, on one condition that he was willing to pay the entire amount now, but wanted delivery in the 1st week of February as he will be turning 50, so special occasion.

On contacting the Porsche Santacruz dealership couple of days back, I was told that both, new and the demo Macan have been sold and they have no stocks left. New stock will be available only in the month of March 2024, which was a big dealbreaker for us.

I reached out to Porsche Ahmedabad to see if they had a Red Macan in stock. I had a detailed discussed with Jay from Porsche, Ahmedabad.

To summarise:
- They can only sell at Ahmedabad prices if we have a valid Gujarat address proof
- The Red colour Macan costs INR 1.16 Crs. on-road in Ahmedabad
- They are not ALLOWED to sell to MH if the customer does not have valid Gujarat address proof
- They can only sell to MH without Gujarat Address proof on one condition - if dealers in Mumbai don’t have a red Macan, however on-road price applicable will still be as per Maharashtra prices.

I told Jay that Mumbai dealership does not have one in stock and hence we are willing to buy from him and there came another surprise. He says they don’t have a stock available. Also, as per his manager Porsche Gujarat cannot sell to a customer in Maharashtra. He apologised as he had assured of the same earlier.

However, he said a dealer in Kochi has a red Macan available and that seems to be the only piece available in the country and that I should request Porsche Mumbai dealership to speak to the Kochi dealership to arrange it for us. He also said if dealers have a rapport, it is easier for them to arrange. I reached out to Ashwat at Porsche Mumbai. After giving him this info told him to check and get back to me.

He gets back to me with the below messages,

“ Sir they don't want to give.They know it's the only red till March.so they're currently giving stories that even they have a client ready for the Red. It's their overall retail number that gets affected.since they're giving it to us they won't get the retail count against their dealer name.Just to build a demand.And everyone is desperate for a Red Macan”

I replied back saying “This ridiculous!”

This now means despite one red Macan being available in the country, we don’t get access to it. The situation we are in is unbelievable. We are in the market with INR 1.2cr and are being made to run from pillar to post just to buy a car despite being ready to make the full payment.

My friend does not want to wait until March end for the new stock. We plan to write the Porsche CEO highlighting the current ordeal.

Can anyone here help with email address of the CEO if possible or if anyone here knows someone in the management and can you put in a word so we don’t lose that one piece owing to rogue dealers in India.

Looking forward to some assistance and thank you in advance.

Last edited by RJ2285 : 5th December 2023 at 20:46.
RJ2285 is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 14:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: The "New Luxury Car" Price Check Thread | Track Discounts, Offers & Deals on Audi, BMW, Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post

It's their overall retail number that gets affected.since they're giving it to us they won't get the retail count against their dealer name.
This is correct.

Send an Email to the Kochi dealership under copy to - info@porsche.in

Explain that since the Mumbai dealership no longer has the variant/colour you need, they can ask Porsche for internal approval to invoice to the Mumbai address. It should be possible though I am not sure about an extended warranty as that's something a local dealership might have offered you so others may not be able to match and you should accept this. Extended 2 Year (2 is standard) is usually cheap so I won't fret much if I lose. Also, check, MY23 should have lower MRP over MY24. Usually, Porsche dealerships are very honest about this and they don't charge extra, unlike other brands who will charge the new MRP irrespective of MY.
Turbanator is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 15:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The "New Luxury Car" Price Check Thread | Track Discounts, Offers & Deals on Audi, BMW, Mercedes

Quote:

I replied back saying “This ridiculous!”

What I find ridiculous is the leverage you are giving the dealerships by insisting on factors that are manageable. For example, be open to any color, get the car wrapped to red! It will not only stay protected but also be less hassle to maintain. Secondly, if you want delivery in Feb and dealer wants to do his numbers then buy it and park it elsewhere till the birthday arrives. Moreover, if you indeed have made full payment then the dealer may not have a problem storing it for you with an undertaking letter at max.

Maybe this is a sign that your friend actually buys something worth more its price. This is coming from a Macan owner. I have had one for the past 3 years and no ways do I think it's worth 1.2cr value today to buy new.
Sahil is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 17:19   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Only 1 Red Porsche Macan in India, and we can't get our hands on it!

Only 1 Red Porsche Macan in India, and we can't get our hands on it! - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 17:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need help!

Looking forward to some assistance and thank you in advance.
Very simple solution.

Rent a 1bhk in Kochi and get the car from Kochi.

OR

Find a friend in Kochi and then get the car in his name. Transfer the car later.

Most OEMs have a cross-selling policy which prevents the dealers from selling in each others "EXCLUSIVE" Territory. Their incentives will be linked to their retail sales. The billing needs to happen from their dealership.

What you are asking them to do is a stock transfer from one dealer inventory to other dealer inventory. Some OEMs have a sharing policy for this, which I think PORSCHE doesnt. Hence incentives for both are not aligned and hence they are not collaborating.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 6th December 2023 at 17:33.
2000rpm is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 17:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Maybe this is a sign that your friend actually buys something worth more its price. This is coming from a Macan owner. I have had one for the past 3 years and no ways do I think it's worth 1.2cr value today to buy new.
Totally agree with this. The sticker price is not commensurate with the value here and perhaps your friend needs to move on and buy something better. Perhaps this the sign.

It is not clear if he is fixated on the colour or the Car and specific Model. If former, check if RR Evoque (equivalent to Macan) or higher model has Red. If latter is the case, there are better models in Porsche which carry more value and "icon" status that is not associated with Macan.
nareshtrao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 10:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Your friend is the customer, he shouldn't have to chase the car or the dealer, it should be the other way around!

Take it as a lucky break that Porsche is making this decision easy for you. Take your business elsewhere to another brand. Get an equally special car on the day he wants, and at the budget he originally planned for.

Don't give a brand that doesn't care about their customers this much power.
am1m is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 10:42   #8
RMN
BHPian

I suggest checking with Porsche India for assistance without blaming anyone. Cross territory sale policies are common in the industry and essential for manufactures to have a good relationship with the dealership. Given the situation, all Porsche India needs to do is, talk to Kochi & Mumbai and have them all agree to bill Kochi but deliver it to Mumbai based on the customers address.
RMN is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 10:45   #9
Team-BHP Support

Why not just call up the Kochi dealer and find out? Why route it through the Mumbai dealer?

Unfortunately with sparsely available CBUs like the Macan, getting the exact spec one wants is either luck, or a waiting game.

BTW I've seen beautiful condition Cayenne Coupes about 2-2.5 years old which are very little run, available for a lower price than this Macan.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 8th December 2023 at 11:55.
Akshay1234 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 10:53   #10
BHPian

If your friend is willing to spending 1.2 Crores, then why not just wait for the new model year? Maybe it has something new, over and above the current model.

He will still be 50 in March and if he really goes on to enjoy the car, it won't matter on what date he got the car.

I'd suggest that you wait for the new model. Get the dealer to get you a confirmed booking for the colour you want in the new MY and then bargain hard for some benefits.
Remember when the MY hits, Porsche India will pump the retail channels with stocks so the dealers will have a lot of cars coming their way and they may want to liquidate whatever is possible as quickly as possible.
veedub89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 12:03   #11
BANNED

Just spend the moolah on an Audi Q8.

A much superior product, while still leaning towards the sporty side, and Audi dealers will be much easier to work with.

I find the Macan at 1.2 cr to be crazy overpriced.
Haze is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 12:42   #12
BHPian

Ask him to blindly go for the X3 M40i ( with that awesome 3 liter B58, 0-100 in 4.9 sec) which is cheaper than the Macan by at least 10 - 15 lacs !
XDriver is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 13:32   #13
BHPian

Porschecentre kochi has always been top notch while handling my requirements. Directly contact them and put forward your request, but remember we are talking of Porsche brand. They don't operate like other German brands, and their allocations are their trump card. If I remember correctly they were authorised to sell outside state. Not sure if its changed now
Straight6_N54 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 14:50   #14
Kln
BHPian

I personally wouldn't be spending upwards of 1 Cr on a car, only to get it wrapped. If you're spending the big bucks, Porsche should be the one chasing you, and not the other way around.

One solution to this can be to bypass the dealers altogether and email the top management of Porsche India directly. One can maybe find the contact details and emails online for the same.
Kln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 15:21   #15
ike
BHPian

If you have expressed interest and they are not willing to sell it to you, it is time to walk away. Aren't there other products that are equally competent at the same price.
ike is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks