Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2023, 09:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official

Had the Thar not been in the picture, this story would have played out differently. Jimny would have been a hit, with waiting period in years. Unfortunately, MSI didn't anticipate the Thar RWD and its pricing to do this much damage.

I would still like to believe that there is a market for a RWD Jimny. Maruti must have its reasons for lack of interest, but diluting the brand isn't it, for sure.
ashutoshb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 09:23   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official

Maruti can lower the price and sell it as a budget utilitarian car in big numbers.

Or they can keep the prices high and sell it as a low volume niche lifestyle car - this might be a better strategy because they can get the volumes with other cars and get some much needed brand mojo with this car. Their brand image really sucks - had it not been Toyota tie up, they would have been in serious trouble.

What they shouldn't expect to do is to keep the prices high and sell it in high numbers.

I got my Jimny and this is all the offroader I ever need till the end of the world. It doesn't bother me what they do with Jimny now :-)
androdev is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 11:59   #78

Not a big fan of the Jimny, looks like a toy car. I'm sure its a capable off-roader but 99% of the Indian market would probably have to drive a bit to get to the off-road part. That is where it is lagging. And that is the reason why it would never sell 5000 units even with its bells and whistles. Thar on the other hand does both with aplomb.
So even with those bells and whistles, smaller footprint for the urban jungle, Mountain Goatness on the trails and the pedigree of the brand; the Thar is a more practical car for 80% of the market.

They could have made a bare bone GYPSY inspired Jimny for the enthusiasts at under 10L, that would have given them a lot more to play ( customise) with as well.

Or better yet why not re-launch a gypsy with all the bells and whistles of JIMNY. 🤔
Eleanor_Shelby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 16:26   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Maruti can lower the price and sell it as a budget utilitarian car in big numbers.
Yes, at the right price point, this car has a lot of use cases. The reliability factor will be very high due to the proven engine and gearbox. The 4-speed auto gearbox is probably one of the few gearboxes that has been around for nearly 25 years (I believe this transmission was first produced by Aisin in 1998) and is said to be highly reliable, though unexciting.

If a bare bones version can be sold at around Rs. 8 lakhs, it can also be a good taxi/people mover in hilly terrain or a great Wagon R substitute for older people who struggle to get in and sit down on low slung cars.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 17:22   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor_Shelby View Post
Or better yet why not re-launch a gypsy with all the bells and whistles of JIMNY. 🤔
Along with Gypsy, I would plead Maruti to re-launch Maruti 800 in its first gen avatar to replace that horribly designed Alto
Old 6th December 2023, 17:36   #81
Senior - BHPian

Maruti should start with a 6.99Lac base variant and go max out to full option top end.

2dr-2wd-Manual GB - No ICE- Keylock- NoRearBench- SteelRims- OnlyAC- NoHeater - 6.99 Lacs Onwards

Top end Manual 2dr-4wd - 9.49Lacs

Top end AT 2dr-4wd - 9.99Lacs

Base 4dr-2wd-manual - 7.5Lacs

Top end Manual 4dr-4wd - 10.5Lacs

Top end AT 4dr-4wd - 11 Lacs

This may save the product, just a hope.

One of the benefits of going this route is Maruti would have created a niche segment, a micro offroader in both 2dr, 4dr and 4wd and the janta-2wd option too. Success of the olden days Maruti was in Lx Lxi Vx Vxi Zx Zxi options with various accessories as options. This ensured footfall and upselling was upto the sales man and the showroom staff to convince the customer to pick any one up than the lower model.

Here by limiting the choices Maruti are on back foot now!

Last edited by svsantosh : 6th December 2023 at 17:39.
svsantosh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 09:40   #82
Senior - BHPian

Was anyone able to confirm the 3.5L discount mentioned by GTO a few posts ago?
Old 7th December 2023, 11:25   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Was anyone able to confirm the 3.5L discount mentioned by GTO a few posts ago?
As far as I have seen and heard, the maximum discount available is around 2.5 lakhs, if anyone has gotten a 3 lakhs or above discount, Kindly DM me or post the details of the showroom from where you got the discount for the benefit of other members, I have a handful of my friends and relatives who are considering the Jimny as their second car.

Thank You and any help is greatly appreciated!
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 12:31   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZombie View Post
I personally feel if MS would have been bolder and launched the 3 door version in India, at a 10lakh price point, they would have seen a lot more success.
Looking back at my decision process, I want to respectfully disagree. In fact, I don't think I would have been interested in the 3 door Jimny. Ignoring the fact that it would get even more compared to That 3 door, for me the best thing that enabled me to get the Jimny is that the 4 door option and the additional length allowed me to position it as a viable 2nd (or 3rd) car option and not just an off road vehicle.
astrodex is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 17:56   #85
BHPian

I was one of those customers who booked the Jimny on the launch day. But, in October 2023, I bought the XL6 instead.

Here's how the story went:

1. I had booked the Zeta AT. It didn't come with the dual-tone option - so out went the highly desirable yellow with black roof. This was the first bummer.

2. Though I was the first customer to book the car at Jai Krishna Nexa Coimbatore, in the initial days, the dealer was happily allocating units to those who were willing to pay in full before seeing the vehicle. I didn't want to pay before a PDI, and the dealer refused allocation. This was the second bummer.

3. Against all odds, my wife and my mom loved the vehicle. Miraculously, they were okay with the cramped rear seats.

4. When launched, Zeta AT retailed at ~17 L on the road. This was the third and final bummer. At that price, I could get a Slavia 1.0 AT style (after discounts), the XL6 Alpha plus AT, and the Brezza Alpha plus AT. While this alone wasn't a deal-breaker, a price point of 15L would've sealed the deal. 17 L was a grey area between absolute yes and absolute no.

5. Final nail in the coffin: the Jimny didn't feel wow enough to upgrade from my 2014 Force Gurkha; curiously, neither does the Thar with its niggle ridden track record.
buzzy_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 21:16   #86
BHPian

IMO, Thar succeeded but Jimny failed because:

Jimny isnt a practical mass market product but has it's appeal to a very niche segment of market who can afford an additional Toy car like Thar/Jimny at home.

Jimny fails/lacks at following parameters:

1. It doesnt have road presence like Thar which we Indians just love. But, it still looks chic and size/boxy shape is perfect for city driving, so it can still do good if other issues are resolved.

2. It doesnt have a good engine gearbox offering. 5/6 speed AT should have been offered, who buys 4 speed in this age? Maruti took Indian buyers for granted. 4 speed maybe enough for offroading but Indian families dont have luxury to buy a car specifically for offroading only, it should be capable as a daily driver also, in the city and on the highways. Thar takes care of these checkboxes beautifully.

3. Price: Thar has overall higher specification with 4x4 versions, so even Rs. 18-20 Lakhs looks justifiable, not the case with Jimny. Jimny shouldnt be priced more than Rs. 15-16 Lakhs even for the top variants.

4. Safety Rating: Jimny needs to have decent crash safety rating to be considered seriously by the target customer, especially since Thar ticks this checkbox as well.

Thar even at higher prices seems better VFM than Jimny as things stand today. But, if Maruti can improve on the stated points, it can still sell in numbers equal to that of Thar or more.
Old 7th December 2023, 22:32   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
As far as I have seen and heard, the maximum discount available is around 2.5 lakhs, if anyone has gotten a 3 lakhs or above discount, Kindly DM me or post the details of the showroom from where you got the discount for the benefit of other members, I have a handful of my friends and relatives who are considering the Jimny as their second car.

Thank You and any help is greatly appreciated!
Somebody has reported 3.16 lakhs discount on Zeta AT in the main "Jimny Review" thread
Old 8th December 2023, 00:42   #88
BHPian

Saw a brand new Jimny the other day stranded on the middle of the highway with hazard lights on don’t know what went wrong but it was surprising for me to see a brand new Maruti break down, thought to myself that’s not a common sight.

The car’s size always seems to go against it when compared with the Thar but that’s its only USP, that and the 4x4, small narrow roads won’t be an issue and I think it also adds to it’s toy car like character.

The problem is the engine/gearbox, a lethargic combo they should have plonked in a turbo, even the old Thar a barebones vehicle in comparison was genuinely fun to drive all because of its torquey diesel, the only benefit of Jimmy seems to be its ‘AllGrip’ but then that’s for people who have genuine use for it like in farmhouses or village roads.
MSIL should have sold the Jimny as the three door version itself perhaps as a CBU from Japan in limited numbers just like the VW T-Roc or Skoda Karoq granted prices might increase but there will be buyers who look for exclusivity but other than that offering ‘thunder’ editions and discounts for a product that’s only targeting a niche market and trying to make volumes from it, they never localised the Kizashi nor the Grand Vitara , the Jimny could have been just like that and still would have sold in better numbers than those earlier mentioned cars combined.

I was of the opinion that MSIL manufactured the five door version of Jimny here in India primarily for export purposes but now it seems they are trying hard to make it do volumes here, and one cannot ignore the fact that all of this comes from a company that knows the pulse of Indian automotive scene better than any other , they went ahead and developed a five door fuel guzzling off-roader, priced it high, over anticipated its success and now trying hard to clear off the stock with dealers.

Last edited by VwRabbit : 8th December 2023 at 01:06.
VwRabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 07:21   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay Sengupta View Post
Somebody has reported 3.16 lakhs discount on Zeta AT in the main "Jimny Review" thread
Yes, with a bit of hold in the dealership, I was able to get a 3.2 lakh discount along with the Thunder edition kit, or a 3.4 lakh discount without the Thunder edition kit for the Zeta variant and a 2.5 lakh discount for the Alpha variant with thunder edition kit or 2.7 lakh discount without thunder edition kit.

The discounts are insane, but these are only for the variants and colours currently in stock, and if you order a colour of your preference, and it needs to come from the factory, then only if it is invoiced before the 31st, you are eligible for this discount, (in such case dealers are offering only the 2-2.5 lakh discount)
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 08:28   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Yes, with a bit of hold in the dealership, I was able to get a 3.2 lakh discount along with the Thunder edition kit, or a 3.4 lakh discount without the Thunder edition kit for the Zeta variant and a 2.5 lakh discount for the Alpha variant with thunder edition kit or 2.7 lakh discount without thunder edition kit.
Which dealership? Can you share the cost sheet after this discount? In Pune, Nexa outlets are flatly denying any further discount beyond the 2L.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks