Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2024, 23:58   #361
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official

It is an unfortunate incident to all genuine car buyers where people believe the Company for its Quality and price certification. Specially a company like MSIL has totally failed to their marketing strategy and placed this efficient global horse to fish market where they are giving abnormal dreams to new buyers with lots of extra flesh. Losing or wining 2-3 lacs is not that important now as we don't even know when they are going to hit the stoploss and eject out from the market.
Using Toyota Crysta for a long time where the company has kept its dignity and property to keep the demand of the buyers by their quality and capability.
Travelmania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 07:23   #362
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
Quotes for AT variants-
Are these quotes for MY24?
13.50 lacs for an Alpha AT is making my mind crazy.
Old 9th July 2024, 08:21   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
Are these quotes for MY24?
Yes, these are for MY24 models. Looks like the best chance to buy Jimny.
Aakash118 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 09:54   #364
Oxy
BHPian

Low fuel efficiency, low boot space, can accommodate only four.

My Baleno Alpha CVT is almost 7 years old now and I was tempted by the Jimny AT's price, but I am wondering why would anyone buy it for regular city drives in a traffic hell like Bangalore considering the single digit fuel efficiency.

Also, the occasional 500 kms out of state getaway drives will be a problem with the measly boot.
Old 9th July 2024, 11:37   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Low fuel efficiency, low boot space, can accommodate only four.

My Baleno Alpha CVT is almost 7 years old now and I was tempted by the Jimny AT's price, but I am wondering why would anyone buy it for regular city drives in a traffic hell like Bangalore considering the single digit fuel efficiency.

Also, the occasional 500 kms out of state getaway drives will be a problem with the measly boot.
Jimny is not a replacement for a regular, average daily use vehicle. It has a special purpose. Someone who craves to own a capable offroader for weekend fun should get this. Replacing our Balenos and Swifts, that we use every day, with this one isn't prudent. Like you said, the dismal fuel economy by itself will kill us everyday.
Gupts007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 12:01   #366
BHPian

Hi all,
Could see multiple posts in this and other related threads, comparing Jimny with other vehicles in a similar price bracket. Though many are already aware of Jimny's strengths and shortcomings, many are still confused on deciding whether the Jimny is worth the buy. So trying to share my thoughts on this.

The current discounts have created more confusion. Those who were really interested in Jimny and were holding back their purchase because of high price, for them it's the right time to listen to their heart and buy one.

Meanwhile, before being tempted of discounts and taking a plunge, it's worth going through these below posts/thread from:

gsferrari's video, giving his inputs and addressing some issues of Jimny.

Samba da's ownership thread
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...oint-view.html (Maruti Jimny Alpha MT Review | An owner's point of view)

Thanks to both of you for your honest and informative posts.

Cross posting Samba da's post here for easy reference, for those who have missed reading incase,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Can a Jimny be used as a primary car?
Yes, if the number of people on board will be limited to 2-3. This car officially is a 4-seater.

Who should buy the Jimny?
Serious off-roaders will enjoy this car. The scope for modification is endless.
People who frequently participate in car rallies.
A family of two or max three people can use this car for their daily drive, as well as road trips, plus fun weekend off-road drives.
As a second fun car for a bigger family.
This car is ideal for people who live on hills.
People who know the shortcomings of this car.

Who should not buy the Jimny?
People whose machismo depends on the size of a car!
Jokes apart, this is not a car for any regular person who puts his/her car into normal usage like going to the office and a few highway drives.
It's a strict no for families having more than 3 people. Going for more than a 500 km drive with 4 people on board won't be comfortable.
People who do not need a 4WD. A 4WD is not at all required for 99.9% of the people. And if the 4wd part is taken off from the Jimny the rest of the car is a compromise! Cars like Tata Punch or Ignis can serve the purpose of a 2WD Jimny at half of its price! At the price point of the Jimny, one can get much more accomplished cars. At Rs15-16L buying cars like the Honda City, Virtus/Slavia, Nexon, 3XO, Grand Vitara, Creta/Seltos, and many more makes much more sense than buying a Jimny.
To summarise,
If one needs a primary car, mileage oriented, looks, fancy features, powerful engine, more space,better interiors then please look elsewhere than Jimny.
(I am no different, I am interested in Jimny too, but everyone in the family is against it, as their requirement is inline to above thinking)

And for people who have their heart with Jimny, wants a reliable 4x4,fun, compact, allrounder, secondary car, less priced(after discount) than Thar, this is the right time I think to buy.
It's surely a keeper.

What's the future of Jimny?(In my assumption)
1. Jimny with high pricing is no competition to Thar in terms of built,looks,and power. Thar 5 door, will be even more practical. (Though the price will surely go past 25 lak in Bangalore)
2. Seeing the less sales, production too will be slowed down. Jimny might only be made to order in future.
3. Service and parts availability might not be a problem, given it's a global model and it's a Maruti.
4. The used car market might not flood like used Thars. Since sales numbers are obviously less and most of the Jimny owners would have bought it knowing its shortcomings and thought of it as a keeper.
5. With decent built,interiors and features, Jimmy might age well, compared to gypsy and erstwhile Thar.
6. Will have that niche product feel, given it's not sold as much as Thar.
7.Maruti might keep the current pricing the norm either by reviewing the price or with one or the other discount every 6 months

PS:
If Maruti had priced the Jimny with current discounted price from the beginning, and given some more usable/practical features and storage, Jimny sales would surely have been on a decent high.

Regards,
DLC5005

Last edited by Aditya : 10th July 2024 at 07:31. Reason: Typo
DLC5005 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 14:21   #367
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
This is the reason the Jimny failed in India. The market doesn't understand utilitarian, working class vehicles anymore. The interiors are designed to be washed down after an off road session. You'll find similar quality interiors in the Jeep Wrangler / Rubicon.

Yes the interiors are rugged and hard wearing. Some of us appreciate that but I'll concede, it is not for everyone. We are too used to "cars" and have forgotten the concept of Jeeps.

I'm 6'2" and daily drive the Jimny without issues.
The car is a 4 seater. You cannot seat 3 in the back legally so that was never under consideration.
I think I am a little slow on the uptake because it was only yesterday that I realized gsferrari and motoroids are the same person!

Anyway, I enjoy your videos. Thanks for all the work you put in.

Since you are experienced with the Jimny's nuances, I have a question to ask. I will give my requirements in bullet points and then ask my query -

1. My father, 75, drives a 2016 Grand i10 Automatic.
2. 90% of the time, he drives alone to nearby places within 3km stretch. 10% of the other time, its him and mom or the three of us or me alone. I drive my Nano everywhere else (including long drives - much better mileage etc)
3. In over 8 years of ownership, the Grand i10 has been driven for about 19500kms only. That is the extent of usage!
4. He is in perfect health and has always been a fast (slightly rash) driver. Hence, in 2016, we went for a 4 speed auto car with small proportions. Gives him more control and less power to exploit.

With Jimny discounts, I thought I could get the car for him because -

1. 8 year old Grand i10 auto with 19500kms would fetch decent money in second hand market
2. Assuming Jimny Alpha AT is 13.5 lakhs on road after discounts, it means we will have an iconic car for about 8.5-9 lakhs more.
3. Its an off roader but it does not always have to be used as one. I will probably borrow it from him for a mountain trip once in 3 years and in that too I am not sure I will go off roading. Therefore, it'll be purely a city car for him.
4. People say its not powerful and that works in his case because of age and the fact that less power will actually be good for him
5. Visibility factor will be a huge step up from low sitting Grand i10 to high sitting Jimny. Easier for him around small city like Bhopal, where he lives.
6. Narrow car means better for city.

Now, considering all this, my simple question is - what is your take of the Jimny as a purely city car for an elderly person?

My only personal joy is -
1. Iconic car in the house (adding to the other icon, Nano, in my garage)
2. looks so good we will turn around every time
3. our Grandi10 is in great shape (obviously, because of low running) so let me take advantage of good value for it in second hand sale
4. Maruti means ease of ownership for dad.
5. Something new for dad after 8 years. Keeps one happy - small joys of life.

I have sat in the Jimny twice in the showroom. Never driven it. I will do that soon. I have not spoken to my father about this at all. I am just gather information and opinions from experts first. I am 39 years old and will upgrade from my Nano in 2025-26 to some fancy SUV so the Jimny is primarily for him. I work from home so do not really need a car.
sjain2054 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 15:34   #368

Hello everyone,
I have booked a Bluish Black Jimny Alpha AT at 13.5 on road from Nexa, Dehradun. Here is the quote I’m getting from the dealership. Also providing accessories worth 10k. I have few queries related to this.
1) What accessories should be brought from the dealership
2) Is PPF required? I’m getting quotes of around 60k for it
3) What is the best tyre upsize for Jimny? Confused between 215/225 and the brands (apollo, yokohama, continental)
4) What should i expect to get in return for existing company fitted tyres?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official-8c13ccc583e84f26bba75d8da45b4e81.jpeg  

Pontiac_Bandit8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 19:29   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post

5. Anyway, this means effective final discount is ~3.2L.
I cannot thank this post enough. Just booked an Alpha AT with a tremendous discount. Anyone on the fence please do shop around with the dealers as you can bargain beyond this amount. God bless having so many Nexa dealers in Mumbai.
SuperMane is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 22:15   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit73 View Post
What is this SOP discount of 25000. I have seen this in multiple quotes but by local SA is not ready to offer the same.
Dealer RM says this is just special offer aka dealer discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMane View Post
I cannot thank this post enough. Just booked an Alpha AT with a tremendous discount. Anyone on the fence please do shop around with the dealers as you can bargain beyond this amount. God bless having so many Nexa dealers in Mumbai.

And I want to thank you in advance for sharing the quote you received! So pray share with us, so we could express our sincere gratitude. And tips for bargaining please.

Last edited by barcode : 9th July 2024 at 22:18.
Old 10th July 2024, 08:49   #371
Senior - BHPian

The award for the understatement of the year goes to Maruti's Jimny promotional.Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official-img_20240710_083815.jpg

Massive savings of up to 1 lakh
Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official-screenshot_2024071008425256_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

While the manufacturer seems reluctant to spill the actual beans, my local dealer is trying to fish in the troubled waters; and as per the SA, has been quite successful in that!

Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official-screenshot_2024071008384826_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 10:40   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The award for the understatement of the year goes to Maruti's Jimny promotional.
Nah Maruti's marketing teams cannot be defended anymore!
The Jimny marketing team needs to be fired immediately! Like when every dealer is offering 3 lakh rupee discounts, why would you advertise it as 1 lakh??

What the Jimny needs is to highlight the price discounts and make some ads where they attack on the Thar's negatives like 3-doors, uncomfortable ride, poor ride, city unfriendliness, poor reliability and show that the Jimny has got all of these covered, all while providing better offroad capabilities too! But nah, these people have just gone berserk!

Quote:
While the manufacturer seems reluctant to spill the actual beans, my local dealer is trying to fish in the troubled waters; and as per the SA, has been quite successful in that!
This actually is the only thing that works! Print adverts are meant to grab attention and not just communicate in a plain jane language.
theAutomaniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 10:44   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
What the Jimny needs is to highlight the price discounts and make some ads where they attack on the Thar's negatives like 3-doors, uncomfortable ride, poor ride, city unfriendliness, poor reliability and show that the Jimny has got all of these covered, all while providing better offroad capabilities too! But nah, these people have just gone berserk!
I think they must hire the PR team who recently trolled the Polo Rally car in S-CNG Advertisement

Jokes aside, this was also done by Tata and MG where Tata trolled MG for their Comet and vice-versa.
sharmanova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 11:48   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanova View Post
I think they must hire the PR team who recently trolled the Polo Rally car in S-CNG Advertisement

Jokes aside, this was also done by Tata and MG where Tata trolled MG for their Comet and vice-versa.
Yeah they indeed should lol! In fact back in the 2000s, they were actually this aggressive! The whole 'taxi' image of Tata Indica was attacked by Maruti many times in their print and radio ads! There was even a radio ad where they directly mocked Indica owners for buying a taxi, and not an Alto!

This kinda aggressive marketing is required to get the youth's attention but they are sleeping and letting the Jimny die.

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 10th July 2024 at 11:50.
theAutomaniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 14:08   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
Got this quote from my dealer today. And if I book right today, free accessories worth 25k are promised. When I said that I don’t want the accessories, they offered 20k more discount. Looks a good deal, thinking to book by evening after calculating my finances.
Thanks for sharing the rough estimate. A quick doubt which arises is - shouldn't the Road-tax, TCS and insurance be applied on the Net value of car (Ex-Showroom - less all discounts). I can see that all the taxes are applied on the ex-showroom cost and then discounts are applied at the end, so as a consumer we are paying tax first and then getting discounts. So, we paid tax for discount value as well
samuel88joseph is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks