Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2024, 22:44   #196
BANNED

Re: Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Spot on! This aspect did hit me like a brick wall within the first 3-4 months of my ownership of the Ford Endeavour 2.0 lit. I did try to convince myself during the multiple test drives I took, that I'll be able to ignore the abysmal performance of the engine in lieu of all other areas where the Endeavour shines - excellent ride, great handling, pleasant interiors, etc but I was only fooling myself I found myself selling the Endeavour within 8 months of ownership just because getting to cruising speeds (and I am talking about 90-100 kmph, not insane speeds) from stops as well as overtaking on 2-lane roads was proving to be an excruciating exercise. I just couldn't take it anymore. Unless one is perpetually in a state of Nirvana, it is very difficult to live with an underpowered car in today's times.
Thanks Cool-Dude. Glad to see at least someone echo my view. I had the same moment with my A-Star 4-speed AT. Bought in mid-2011. I went through same frustration. Tried to convince my friends who drove it that it's not so sluggish. Well, you can lie to everyone else but you can't lie to your own self, right?

Finally, I let go of it, too. You were lucky you were in a slow car that was a behemoth on road. Try driving an under-powered car which is also tiny. You will be honked at, bullied and pushed off the road by big guns. You just have to take crap from every other vehicle on road. I am not advocating this jungle rule out on our roads but it is what it is. I'm not a monk who can take crap from everyone and still stay calm, so I let go of it. No one will push you off road when you are in an Endeavour/Fortuner/Scorpio/Safari etc. You can hog the whole road; they will quietly overtake you only when you allow them to and make way for them. Again, I'm not advocating anything, merely stating what I see on our roads. In short, if it's a sluggish car, it had better be a giant beast and if it's tiny, it had better run like a Polo TSI. Got to have one of the two. Just my opinion.
pgsagar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 23:20   #197
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official

If the Thar were supposedly to stop production, would that increase the sales of Jimny? Definitely not. People just need to stop comparing Jimny with Thar and contemplating thereby that Thar is killing Jimny sales.

I'm waiting for the day a proper 4x4 Jimny discussion thread opens on TBHP.
Fuldagap is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 11:27   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalayan_Ice View Post
First these guys astroturfed the hype, and then they bought into it themselves.
Which is hilarious and these numbers cathartic.
They'd have done a whole lot better with keeping the initial pricing sensible, assisting acquisition numbers, and then raised the prices slowly if the vehicle proved itself capable and sold through positive word-of-mouth.
But they chose bluster as an entry route and now have ended with egg on their face.

The only sensible course for them is to keep the prices low, equip the vehicle better from the inside and hope the better value proposition helps pick up sales gradually.

Other than that, the JIMNY's going to stay comatose for a fair while.

But then, why would MSIL listen to me? Their ears to the ground are the hype men they created.
is this Sashi Tharoor by any chance?
Sam.k is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 13:58   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
is this Sashi Tharoor by any chance?
Nowhere close. But huge compliment. Thank you!
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 13:08   #200
BHPian

We have 13-year-old Chevy Spark and a 12-year-old Ertiga ZDI with current Odo has 13000KM and 43000KMs respectively. Both the cars are well maintained with new sets of tyres.
I am planning to retain Ertiga as long as the law allows me to do so. Replacement of Ertiga will be another Ertiga only or some future EV.
I am contemplating exchanging Spark with Jimny but I have some queries, please advise here.

1: Is Jimny okay for city rides especially in narrow lanes? Spark works like Activa for me, I do not scared to take at any corner of the city.
2: What is real-life mileage for Jimny in the city and on highways?
3: My mother has motion sickness and she can only go in Spark. Do we have a very high body roll in Jimny?
4: How much exchange price I can expect for Spark and what max discount on top model of Jimny?
5: Is the BH number allowed for all the citizens?
Old 11th January 2024, 13:30   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS_RE650 View Post
1: Is Jimny okay for city rides especially in narrow lanes? Spark works like Activa for me, I do not scared to take at any corner of the city.
2: What is real-life mileage for Jimny in the city and on highways?
3: My mother has motion sickness and she can only go in Spark. Do we have a very high body roll in Jimny?
4: How much exchange price I can expect for Spark and what max discount on top model of Jimny?
5: Is the BH number allowed for all the citizens?
1. Straight line - Yes, it can squeeze through. Sharp turns - Difficult, requires multiple point turning.

2. City 11-13, Highway 15-16

3. No. it doesn't bounce around much. Why don't you take a test drive with her.

4. there was an exchange bonus of 50k in December before the thunder edition was introduced. not sure if its still on the table.

5. Yes. if your company has offices in 4 different states/UT.
anilupadhya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 14:35   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
1. Straight line - Yes, it can squeeze through. Sharp turns - Difficult, requires multiple point turning.

2. City 11-13, Highway 15-16

3. No. it doesn't bounce around much. Why don't you take a test drive with her.

4. there was an exchange bonus of 50k in December before the thunder edition was introduced. not sure if its still on the table.

5. Yes. if your company has offices in 4 different states/UT.
Thank You for your response. Please advise, is it worth considering Jimny over the likes of Grand Vitara, Kia Sonnet, Baleno or Breeza?
Old 11th January 2024, 15:03   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You for your response. Please advise, is it worth considering Jimny over the likes of Grand Vitara, Kia Sonnet, Baleno or Breeza?
My heart won over my mind. I never required another vehicle. It was an impulse buy. But I am enjoying it.

Its best if someone else answers the practicality of the Jimny. I will end up defending my purchase.
anilupadhya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 15:08   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Please advise, is it worth considering Jimny over the likes of Grand Vitara, Kia Sonnet, Baleno or Breeza?
Sharing my perspective basis my experience;

1) The Jimny will be nice for the city but don't think it will be as chukable as the Spark

3) Whoever has sat in my Jimny appreciates the ride quality and hence your mother should be happy

Having said this, a Sonet or a Brezza will also be able to do all this, so suggest you take a test drive and see what appeals to you and your family.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 11th January 2024 at 15:14.
Old 11th January 2024, 15:37   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Major advantages you get with the Jimny over other cars is it's visibility, clarity of positioning, advantage over bad roads and the unique proposition.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 16:39   #206
BHPian

You will not spend much beyond the cost of the vehicle if you consider the Sonet, Brezza, Baleno or the Vitara.

With the Jimny the list of modifications are multiple. The itch to do so depends on your will power. The depth of the wallet thought comes later.

Almost everyone has upsized the tyres immediately after taking delivery of the Jimny.

So in that way, its not a fill it, shut it, forget it kinda vehicle.
Old 11th January 2024, 17:20   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please advise, is it worth considering Jimny over the likes of Grand Vitara, Kia Sonnet, Baleno or Breeza?
Most of the praise you see for Jimny has to be seen in the context it being a BoF SUV. Many regular crossovers will do a much better job than Jimny when it comes to city driving. On highways, almost any car in 10L+ price range will beat Jimny very convincingly. So don't get carried away by all the hype around Jimny - the hype is well deserved but only if you are specifically looking for a vehicle of this category.

The car will not come anywhere close to Spark when it comes to "Activa" like city usage. The steering is a pig in tight places. It will also have plenty of body roll anytime you encounter uneven roads and speed humps.

I have a Jimny and I like it but it's not a general purpose car for everyone as people are claiming it to be. They are all biased because they love Jimny and want to use it for all purposes (city, highway, offroad, especially offroad).

My advice: if you genuinely like this design/gypsy/4x4 cult, etc. then you can buy Jimny and you can certainly flog it for city/highway usage overlooking its limitations. OTOH - if you are hyped up because every T,D&H is driving a Thar or Jimny these days and you don't want to miss out the party, think hard. You might regret it.
androdev is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 18:51   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Most of the praise you see for Jimny has to be seen in the context it being a BoF SUV. Many regular crossovers will do a much better job than Jimny when it comes to city driving. On highways, almost any car in 10L+ price range will beat Jimny very convincingly. So don't get carried away by all the hype around Jimny - the hype is well deserved but only if you are specifically looking for a vehicle of this category.

The car will not come anywhere close to Spark when it comes to "Activa" like city usage. The steering is a pig in tight places. It will also have plenty of body roll anytime you encounter uneven roads and speed humps.

I have a Jimny and I like it but it's not a general purpose car for everyone as people are claiming it to be. They are all biased because they love Jimny and want to use it for all purposes (city, highway, offroad, especially offroad).

My advice: if you genuinely like this design/gypsy/4x4 cult, etc. then you can buy Jimny and you can certainly flog it for city/highway usage overlooking its limitations. OTOH - if you are hyped up because every T,D&H is driving a Thar or Jimny these days and you don't want to miss out the party, think hard. You might regret it.
Very true what you are saying, my mind says so but my heart is more inclined towards Jimny. It is the same case as what I had with Interceptor, very uncomfortable but yet too good to ignore.
In the case of Jimny, a proper test drive and if the discount is good enough then only I will consider it.
Old 2nd February 2024, 20:17   #209
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

Without any hefty discount or deep price cut, Maruti failed to dispatch even 200 units of Jimny to the Indian market in January 2024.

And with over 6,000 Thar dispatches in January 2024, Mahindra just rubbed salt on Maruti’s self-inflicted injury.

Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official-jimny.png
pqr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 22:17   #210
BANNED

163 units vs 6,000 plus units of Thar? Now recovery looks impossible. Especially with 4-door Thar looming large on the horizon. Who knows it may go Kizashi way. Jimny would have sold well in pre-Thar days but people are spoilt by Thar now.

Funny how a car, people queue up (reportedly) for in Europe Australia, is rejected here. I think lack of grunt of engine and diminutive looks did it in more than price. After all, people are queueing up to buy bigger and pricier cars.
pgsagar is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks