Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2023, 08:33   #136
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
3 Door could have been launched because it is ALREADY being manufactured. Maybe they will launch it now, if they have little sense left.

At the end of the day, one will feel less tired and less fatigue in a Petrol Jimny AT compared to some Diesel vehicle.
Agreed. 3D would have more life to it but then it'd still compare poorly to the thar in a lot of areas that are evaluated by the average buyer today - and they'd have no first movers advantage. The market is saturated with options price and comfort wise in the 8-15L range. Turbo option should have existed like the venue has. However the pricing would've been in thar territory all over again.

Taking about fatigue, the Thar beats the Jimny - I'll tell you why. And I really tried to sell the car to the household but some things are irrefutable.

1. The Thar is higher. I don't have to lean forward and drive. In the Jimny I often do. While the suspension on the Jimny is much better, I've upgraded mine as well and now it's not all too different.
2. My shoulder is constantly pressing against the B pillar in the Jimny.
3. The overtakes grind on your nerves hitting the 5k+. RPM band routinely. For comparison, I've never had to take a 4 cylinder petrol over 3.5k (that too the Swift K series and Honda brio) and the Thar over 3k (again, extreme acceleration.) 5k RPM with Maruti's OEM oil choices of 0W16. I'm not too sure, especially in 45C summers.
4. The steering is uncannily heavy especially at low speeds and at standstill.
5. The turning radius and camera bewildered me.
6. The average Thar or Bolero driver won't let me overtake in this vehicle given our highway driving mannerisms. This further accentuates point #3 above.
7. God forbid someone buys the MT - there'll be a lot of gear toggling involved! I can zoom from 25 to 75 in the third gear on the Thar all day. The Thar does its best work in the second and third. 5th also behaves quite well and the 6th silences out everything. 2200 RPM in the top gear on the Jimny at 80 Kmph. 1500 in the thar. Also, with that turbo, I can zoom anytime. Not so much in the Jimny. I've to drop to some 45xx RPM in the fourth (speculative, considering what the AT showed me) in the Jimny to get moving again.

Maybe it helps to add that I've dampened my Thar doors (all 3) with butyl sheets and cotton foam pads so they're dead silent.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th January 2024 at 14:34. Reason: Scattered clean up edits (typos, caps, “…” etc). Please do proof-read before posting. Thank you.
wooka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 11:35   #137
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official

I still remember in 2009 when Toyota was in deep crisis on quality issues in USA. I see in the news now a days that Mahindra and Tata are facing a lot of quality issues. May be they are growing too fast. It is frightening to even think of how one can drive at 3 digit speeds on these vehicles with the quality issues leading to dangerous situations. May be Indian car manufacturers have to learn on how Toyota has turned the tide to become number 1 automaker in the world after quality crisis. In these days of cut throat competition, no auto maker is spared and all the die hard fans of a particular company will quickly switch sides as per their convenience.

Why I am quoting the above in Jimny thread is because I see many people are comparing (thrashing Jimny freely as per their personal opinions on its capabilities and the same people may buy Jimny after the discounts) Jimny with Mahindra Thar (I myself owned a top end Mahindra Scorpio for 12 years and top end Jimny for 4 months). I love both cars and they are unique in their own ways. Couple of unfortunate incidents which even a hand built car like Rolls Royce can bring it down due to the social media and it becomes breaking news everywhere. I am surprised that even in a respected forum like this also, we are reacting to the situations just like any other non petrol heads would react emotionally when he finds his car stranded on road for what ever reason.

Last edited by Mystic : 29th December 2023 at 11:43.
Mystic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 07:11   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I see in the news now a days that Mahindra and Tata are facing a lot of quality issues. May be they are growing too fast. It is frightening to even think of how one can drive at 3 digit speeds on these vehicles with the quality issues leading to dangerous situations.
You make it sound like the buyers have a death wish when choosing Mahindra or Tata. Most of the quality issues that come up are related to electronics and not the mechanicals. And there's no car from any manufacturer that falls apart on the highway.

The Jimny makes sense for some (me, 20 years ago) and doesn't for the others (me of today). All else is secondary. It was overpriced at launch and was always going to be compared to the Thar. Maruti goofed up. Simple as that. In pricing, positioning and specs. It's a good car, but not a hot car.
discoverwild is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 09:30   #139
BHPian

Agree that the pricing was goofed up. Can't help but think that the early buyers would be feeling short changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
... And there's no car from any manufacturer that falls apart on the highway.
Apparently it did (Mahindra is still "investigating"). Please read this thread where the falling apart aspect of a scorpio is being discussed https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...n-failure.html (Owner loses leg after Mahindra Scorpio-N crashes into barrier due to *alleged* suspension failure)
Old 30th December 2023, 09:36   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Apparently it did (Mahindra is still "investigating"). Please read this thread where the falling apart aspect of a scorpio is being discussed https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...n-failure.html (Owner loses leg after Mahindra Scorpio-N crashes into barrier due to *alleged* suspension failure)
So, one car had a suspension failure among the tens of thousands they have sold so far and we can expect every buyer to have a suspension failure now? Please don't use outlier situations to normalise fear-mongering.
discoverwild is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 10:47   #141
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone booked the Jimny in the last two days? Are the discounts still being offered?

On the Thar vs. Jimny discussion

Comparing the Thar with the Jimny (and then replacing one with another) is like selling your blue tooth speaker to buy a television. Both provide entertainment (~ good at off-roading) but both are so different vehicles. Its a personal choice and don't think the two can be compared.

After going head over heels for the Thar and then learning my lessons the hard way (e.g., waiting 11 months for a car to be delivered, getting stuck in Kargil with DEF issues, Mahindra dealer's approach towards allotting cars to plebians like us), I am not going to touch a Mahindra anytime soon. If I remember correctly, few people blowing the Thar trumpet here have faced severe issues in the remotest places and had a very different attitude towards the car then. Mahindra as an organization is unresponsive and is happy to be run by their dealers (there are issues with Maruti as well - and they are severe - especially related to safety aspects).

What works for Mahindra is a good engine and overall decent service network. Road presence is not everyone's priority. The compact size of the Jimny is definitely a boon for those narrow hill station roads (and off roading obviously). I would still not compare the two - but as of now, if I had to choose, I will buy the Jimny any day over the Thar.

Last edited by Pancham : 30th December 2023 at 10:48.
Pancham is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 10:55   #142
BHPian

What is a car recall? When a car manufacturer determines that a certain car make and model has a safety-related defect, they issue a recall by notifying the owners about the exact safety issue. The manufacturer usually offers free repairs to maintain positive customer satisfaction ratings.

Just googling shows on why recalls are done for millions of cars in the automotive history just because of one incident. Human life is very precious. In the airline industry, hundreds of planes will be grounded causing billions loss for one incident until investigation is complete. It is not about Mahindra in particular. Damage is done to reputation. I wish and hope that we donot see any repetition of the incident by another Mahindra vehicle owner.

History is full of incidents when big corporations are brought to knees for one simple mistake.
Old 30th December 2023, 11:39   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
So, one car had a suspension failure among the tens of thousands they have sold so far and we can expect every buyer to have a suspension failure now? Please don't use outlier situations to normalise fear-mongering.
Well, this is OT, I referred to the thread where you could express your opinion regarding the fearmongering/ most issues being non-mechanical and still stay in context of the thread.
Old 1st January 2024, 23:45   #144
BHPian

The "official" version is that it is not a price-cut but just a End Of Year Discount as the stock has piled up and the car will be back to its old pricing for the 2024 models.

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...count/3352541/

Watch the embedded video on the webpage at around the 11:05 mark

Last edited by rahul4321 : 1st January 2024 at 23:57.
Old 2nd January 2024, 14:54   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
The "official" version is that it is not a price-cut but just a End Of Year Discount as the stock has piled up and the car will be back to its old pricing for the 2024 models.
The greed is back. Do they really think if they withdraw this discount/price cut, people are going to flock back to line to buy Jimny again like they did with this offer? Buyers are interested in the Jimny that has been seen but only at a certain price.
Old 2nd January 2024, 15:58   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
The stupidity is back. Do they really think if they withdraw this discount/price cut, people are going to flock back to line to buy Jimny again like they did with this offer? Buyers are interested in the Jimny that has been seen but only at a certain price.
Just a minor correction...
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 19:50   #147
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

Despite previous massive discounts, Maruti Jimny wholesale has reached a new low.

Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official-1.png
pqr is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 20:02   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqr View Post
Despite previous massive discounts, Maruti Jimny wholesale has reached a new low.
Though I can imagine inventories at dealerships, the total wholesale numbers, if correct, are not even 50% (16,000ish from your numbers) of what Maruti announced in mid-June.

I countered this at that time also, but this kind of blatant lie is extremely low for the largest Automobile manufacturer in India. Does this mean they had over 50% cancellations with Zero new Bookings from June to December, or is it a clear lie and they never had 31000 bookings? I wonder what Suzuki would have done in Japan - a public apology?

Maruti should probably hold the production for the domestic market, at least for the new months, rather than discounting any further.

Quote:
Jimny has garnered over 31,000 bookings for the Jimny till now, it is now registering nearly 151 bookings per day for the SUV as against 92 prior to the announcement of the prices
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5565958 (Maruti Jimny Review)

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd January 2024 at 20:04.
Turbanator is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 20:32   #149
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Though I can imagine inventories at dealerships, the total wholesale numbers, if correct, are not even 50% (16,000ish from your numbers) of what Maruti announced in mid-June.

I countered this at that time also, but this kind of blatant lie is extremely low for the largest Automobile manufacturer in India. Does this mean they had over 50% cancellations with Zero new Bookings from June to December, or is it a clear lie and they never had 31000 bookings?
As a PR strategy, brands only report gross bookings to gain free publicity and never disclose net bookings (= bookings received – bookings cancelled). Hence, it is not recommended to use them for any analysis.

They may have gotten new bookings post-launch, but cancellations from the order bank would have been very high. They have to amend the 7+5 rolling forecast accordingly.

Even the order backlog is misleading information. For example, many times there is strong demand for base (or base+1) variants, which are generally loss-making or too low on profit due to sticker pricing strategy, and volume is always restricted to say 2%–10%, and any order amassed reflects in a backlog that the company is not going to fulfill in the long run, to a full extent. But then the media print those headline numbers that generate more sensation for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Maruti should probably hold the production for the domestic market, at least for the new months, rather than discounting any further.
That will result in a loss of revenue, and suppliers also need to be compensated, which is worse than offering discounts.
pqr is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 20:41   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqr View Post
As a PR strategy, brands only report gross bookings to gain free publicity and never disclose net bookings (= bookings received – bookings cancelled). Hence, it is not recommended to use them for any analysis.
Yes, I understand this; I am saying that the 31000 number in mid-June looks like a complete Lie to me. Never, in any other launch from Maruti or any other company, can we see such deviation.

Quote:
That will result in a loss of revenue, and suppliers also need to be compensated, which is worse than offering discounts.
I am unsure about vendors being compensated as Maruti can compensate easily by some other business; this is unlike the Fiat Diesel engine type. Loss of revenue, given the fixed costs and expenses in making the car, if something needs to be accepted, it's better to cut losses rather than keep producing it.

Of course, we don't have internal numbers, but usually, a company like Maruti does not (cannot) think like, say, a Porsche or Ferrari that they had built a 40% margin when they priced the car. At the most, twice the average profits they usually keep, unless someone from Porsche has actually joined and worked on prices of Jimny line

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd January 2024 at 20:42.
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks