Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you're in the market for a new or used car, what is your current situation?
Going to buy a car which fits all my requirements within my budget 27 9.31%
Going to buy a car which fits my requirements, but had to extend my budget 49 16.90%
Going to buy a car within my budget, but with some compromises 34 11.72%
Not buying a car as I can't afford one right now 38 13.10%
Not buying a car as I can't find one that meets my requirements within my budget 44 15.17%
Not buying a car as I can't find one that's value for money even if I stretch my budget 70 24.14%
Not buying a car as I'm waiting for a new model 28 9.66%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2023, 14:53   #31

Re: The car purchase conundrum | It's not easy buying a car in 2023-24

Nothing comes close to the Fiat Linea TJet which I have remapped and my Fiesta 1.6S. Comparing the price of new cars today, I bought them for pennies. No chance of replacing both of them for another 5 yrs atleast.
FiFo_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 17:02   #32
BHPian

I have a family of 6, with the youngest one at 3 years of age who cannot continue being on the lap anymore. I certainly am looking for 6-7 seater with a budget of up to 40 lakhs, but every single model in the market has some compromise or the other.

In no particular order, these are the constraints I'm seeing.

1. Negligible boot space with all 3 rows up. Need this for our frequent outstation trips. There goes Safari, XUV, XL6, Ertiga.

2. Third row too cramped. We are generally well built and with good height too. Cramped third row is a showstopper. Rules out Meridian and Kodiaq. Both are fun to drive in their own ways, but third row

3. Likes of Carnival and to some extent Innova Hycross fit the bill, but carry too much of people mover image. I have generally had cars with reasonable fun to drive character, except my current Creta. Previous cars I have used are Ikon, Swift and Linea, so making this drastic shift isn't something I look forward to

I understand there's no perfect car that fits every need on my checklist. Endy came very close to it, but sadly it's off the market now. Nissan X-Trail sounded promising, but it's been anticipated for over a year now. Don't see any concrete news of the launch. Within a year or so, I'll have to take a call either way. Just hoping something does come up that excites me.

Given the dilemma I shared above, any ideas that esteemed BHPians can share? Any upcoming launches that I should keep my eyes open for?.
gvivek75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 17:17   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvivek75 View Post
I understand there's no perfect car that fits every need on my checklist.

Given the dilemma I shared above, any ideas that esteemed BHPians can share? Any upcoming launches that I should keep my eyes open for?.
I see you have 3 main criteria: boot space, third row space and fun to drive.

Innova Hycross maps to most of these.

Not sure if you have checked Kia Carens. It definitely satisfies your first 2 criteria but not the 3rd one.

New Carnival is expected in India around April 2024. You may want to wait for it.

Last edited by Knightrider : 27th November 2023 at 17:40.
Knightrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 17:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Years back, who would have thought car buying in India would be such a tough thing. But here we are.

We as a people or even as a car enthusiast are easily in a difficult phase when it comes to car buying. Unlike earlier, due to the insane rise in prices, cars have jumped segments making them unaffordable. Just seeing the prices today makes you want to hang on to your existing car/s.

And that has had an effect on the used car market as well. Its become more of a seller's market than a buyer's one. (exception might be diesels in NCR) This wasn't the case earlier.

On that note, if there is a car that I feel is still VFM for what it offers, I have to say its the XUV700.

While buying a lower variant can be an option, there are too many compromises made I feel and no amount of aftermarket accessories with give u that feeling that a fully loaded model right off the factory floor will give.

I recently bought my Thar around 4 months ago and I have to consider myself very very lucky that I actually got a discount of 40,000/- on the petrol AT. Discounts on the Thar is unheard but I'm not kidding. And now prices have gone up and the waiting is back even on the 4x4 models. It wasnt the case when I bought mine. Some colours were ready delivery. I think Im plain fortunate.

The Thar purchase was more of a want than a need. But that want was from day 1 so that is ticked off.

I don't see myself buying another car in the near future. My Polo GT is 7 years old and is just at 37000 kms. I am easily going to hang onto it till the 10 year mark.

When the time comes to replace it, I will most likely go in for a hybrid like the Grand Vitara or the likes of a Honda Elevate. Would be happy to buy a used example of the last sold Civic or CRV but they will be too old by then.

I already have my fun car in the Thar, so the other car can be a no nonsense point A to point B vehicle.
Dippy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 18:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiFo_ View Post
Nothing comes close to the Fiat Linea TJet which I have remapped and my Fiesta 1.6S. Comparing the price of new cars today, I bought them for pennies. No chance of replacing both of them for another 5 yrs atleast.
My t-jet is going to be 10 years old. Everytime I think about buying a new car, i forget about it when i go for a drive Even after all these years, it makes me grin

I have the active variant which i got for Rs.8L. Auto headlights, auto wipers, fat tyres and all wheel disc brakes with ABS.

The new verna is tempting but. 160 horses.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 18:51   #36

Yea, many times I have the itch to sell the Fiesta because I am not driving a lot these days and to simply upgrade. But I have also observed that these thoughts come up when I have not driven her for a week to 10 days. One drive and I am sealed - I am just not selling her. I have grown mature these days, when I mindlessly scroll classifieds or Olx, I stop it and go for a drive. End of itch.
Old 27th November 2023, 18:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post

Innova Hycross maps to most of these.

Not sure if you have checked Kia Carens. It definitely satisfies your first 2 criteria but not the 3rd one.

New Carnival is expected in India around April 2024. You may want to wait for it.
Thank you Knightrider. In the current mix, I agree Hycross ticks most boxes. Since I'm still in the waiting game and looking to buy only in FY 24-25 timeframe, I'll try and see if there's any credible alternative else Hycross it is
gvivek75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 18:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

In the market to buy a compact hatchback for wifey, most probably will settle between the supremely talented Hyundai NIOS or the Tata Tiago.
Fuel = petrol, still not convinced with the case for an exorbitant premium to be paid for an EV, coupled with the hassles of my society charging infra setup.

These 2 (NIOS, Tiago) are well within my set-out budget and conform to almost all the requirements of a compact + smooth + fairly reliable + decent AMT city car.
One segment above, and then perhaps I might have to start worrying about options.

So far, so good. Touchwood
Old 27th November 2023, 19:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
In the market to buy a compact hatchback for wifey, most probably will settle between the supremely talented Hyundai NIOS or the Tata Tiago.
Fuel = petrol, still not convinced with the case for an exorbitant premium to be paid for an EV, coupled with the hassles of my society charging infra setup.

These 2 (NIOS, Tiago) are well within my set-out budget and conform to almost all the requirements of a compact + smooth + fairly reliable + decent AMT city car.
One segment above, and then perhaps I might have to start worrying about options.

So far, so good. Touchwood
I can suggest you to do exhaustive testing on Tiago AMT across all types of roads, traffic conditions, pot holes, speed breakers etc., (which I failed to do and sold Tiago AMT in 3 months/2.5k on odo) Tiago AMT will not behave smoothly when we lift leg off gas pedal, the deceleration will be aggressive which causes one extra head nod along with the head nod during gear change. Also the AMT is much slower compared to Maruti/Hyundai. Considering your list NIOS will be the better choice in terms of AMT smoothness, engine performance, NVH, resale value and service. Tiago has only 2 factors better than NIOS (build quality and suspension), you can decide based on your priorities. I was driving friend's Aura AMT and the gear shifts are beautifully smooth, only 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 are noticeable and the rest are almost seamless.
ByKaizen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 20:03   #40
BHPian

I think the post cameout almost at the right time, and I am quite happy that I had the right option to check.

With my 2014 Ecosport touching 10 years next year - and now that we have a XUV7OO and Thar 3 Door in the family - I have been asked questions on the back seat comfort. Personally, for me anything other than Ecosport should give second-row comfort on long drives.

However, my love for SUV's and larger vehicles and interestingly given my wife is also a great fan of Thar. I had zeroed in on Thar as an upgrade.

But especially with the new 5 Door doing test rounds, and looking at that angle I felt the 3 door isn't scalable, essentially looking at getting on to the second row - even though that space is comfortable.

With my heart for a Diesel SUV and a small preference of a Sunroof and comfortable ride - my hunt is literally not going anywhere. My best choice would have been a 7OO but do not plan to add one since we have one in the family already. Must admit that the Thar is pulling us back from 7OOs and Scorpios here.

Now will that 5 door thar be the answer, I am not sure because I am not well set to plan for a car that isnt launched yet. Using this time to read and learn and pass by tbhp every day.
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 02:37   #41
BHPian

Been wrestling with this issue for close to 2 years now.
Buying a new car is turning out to be a painful ordeal. On one side, it's great that we have so many choices available in the 10- 25 lakh price range ( which also happens to be my budget for a new car) it somehow feels like the prices of these vehicles seem to be growing at an alarming rate.

The xuv, for instance, has grown by ~ 4 big ones in a little less than 2 years since launch, which to someone like me, takes it into the next segment!

If we look at sedans, the vw / skoda duo are offering their fully loaded 1L 3cyl petrols for 20L OTR. I understand that 20L is the new 10L but a 3 cyl turbo petrol?! Come on!
P.s: I'm not saying the 3cyl TSI is bad performer in any way but the fact all 20L can afford is a 3cyl turbo petrol somehow doesn't sit well with me.
I honestly don't understand this trend with downsizing. You make the engines smaller and stick a turbo into it. You're left with a less refined, less fuel efficient engine. I fail to see how these downsized turbos are a help to us / the environment. We end up punishing the engine more in order to get similar performance compared to it's higher cylindered sibling, reducing overall engine life. As a result, we end up having to buy cars more often. For eg: I'm sure it would be greener to use a current car for 10 years as opposed to 7-8 years and then getting a newer one.
The poor FE is another bonus which I'm sure is doing a lot of good to both the users & the environment.

Wait, I think I've gone a little off topic
Apologies for the rant, I'm sure it's a discussion for another day.. now, coming back to the topic, I am still puzzled as to how the demand for vehicles (across the rage) still keeps rising despite :
1) such steep vehicle price hikes
2) Uncertainty w.r.t ethanol blending ( govt mulling about moving for mixes higher than the current e20) and it's effects
3) govt getting visibly less friendly towards diesels etc
4) The EV wave that's about to come

I have decided to get a beater ev for city use and continue keeping my soon to be 10 year old ICE for a few more years.
Abi5hek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 03:00   #42
BHPian

Overstaurated metropolitons, lack of parking spaces, unruly and dense traffic, unpredictable regulatory environment and last but not the least , prohibitive taxes in India on private car ownership and running (might even be highest in the world on PPP basis). Considering all these factors, I'm simply unable to justify replacing my Duster AWD with an equally capable car. I need an automatic for sure since it's too much of a leg work (quite literally!) to drive a manual anymore. My head says go for a mid-size Maruti with simple, no-nonsense smooth and efficient 4 cyl engine.
Somil07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 07:40   #43
BHPian

Delhi guys can go suck an egg if they want to buy a new car these days.

Can’t buy diesel (not that we have any good options in diesel).

Want to buy EV but range anxiety, strict city only cars as they are they will be useless on long rides; the only good option available is Tata Nexon but the 20L+ pricetag is hard to swallow for a sub 4m “SUV” especially when next gen products are getting nearer and nearer.

Can’t buy sedans unless you go the usual boring Honda City route or buy a 20L Slavia/Virtus with a teeny tiny 3 cylinder 1.0L engine. Or you can get possibly one of the weirdest sedan ever i.e. Verna with an alcoholic (for petrol) turbo engine.

And it just don’t make any sense to me how they are selling a 1.0L 3 cylinder at 20L.

If you want to buy a sub 10L the only sensible options you have are all Maruti with their non existent build quality, if you want a fully loaded version of their car you go beyond 10L and closer to 15L.
If you want a cheap automatic you can only get AMT.

Engines are getting smaller, turbos are getting everywhere.

If you want to spend more than 15L then you’ll get a slight update in size but no features. If you want the features too then you have to spend close to 25L.

If you want the best Indian auto manufacturers have to offer then you have to spend 32L but you get only diesel and even if you get a petrol option (XUV700 & ScorpioN) you get gut twisting low mileage of 5-7 KMPL which combined with the high petrol prices are enough for a grown man to consider seppuku.

We are honestly lost. We need two cars in an year’s time (3 if you count my 1,56,000 kms Baleno). And just can’t find anything desirable/suitable unless we take our budget and blow it up like a balloon.

And there’s just not anything in the market that’s vfm, good build quality, decent average with an automatic gearbox. There just isn’t.

I just don’t know what to do…

Atrocious pricing, pain in the behind waiting periods, increasing random and stupid government policies, upcoming EV revolution, weird hybrids with compromises and future uncertainties about battery replacement costs & unknown resale.
Himanshu809 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 12:52   #44
BHPian

I am glad that i am not the only one in this dilemma (/Wink). I started with a budget of 12 lakhs 2 years back to 18 lakhs today and yet not able to narrow down on a car which i could buy with my heart. My requirement is simple, Decent safety (4 stars+), Automatic (Bangalore) 4 cylinder NA for smooth city driving, cruise control for my highway run, Reliable (Car & after sales), No sunroof, Decent GC (Again Thanks Bangalore) Don't care about tech, maybe a screen where i can run maps. Interiors which should reflect at least 70% for the price paid.

Options:
Brezza VXI: No Cruise, Lets not talk about interiors, engine has no grunt what so ever but lets just, well let it be (At least gives you fuel efficiency). 14.5 lakhs on road, swap the steel for alloys. You are looking @ 15 Lakhs (Guess this is the VFM option by today's standards)
Brezza ZXI: Over priced , Interiors are plain bad, Why force sunroof? Not worth 16.3 lakhs on road(Guess what! MS is increasing price again starting January)
Yes! Bangalore tax makes it horrible

Elevate: You get V variant, okay let me spend 60k more than my Budget and get to 18.6 for VX and yet no cruise but you get the sunroof, like why? 18.6 lakhs and no simple cruise? and the 40 litre fuel Tank, Wow

VW/Skoda: The new ones are no where close to being reliable. The service experience is mediocre at best , plus the reliability concerns after paying big bucks. I love the ride though, when it works it works like a charm. During TD had issues with Brake and driver side window. AC controls are very sensitive to touch, worried about the EPC issue which doesn't seem to be resolved.

Creta/Seltos: No DCT, so IVT option, spend north of 21 lakhs please. Safety: We don't talk that here, maybe turn towards verna.

Oh right why no sedans? Those are offering better value by today's standard, thanks to low demand. Low GC has been an issue where we stay, doesn't matter how careful you drive and during rains water logging is very common and risky for sedans. Plus 4.5 mtrs in Bangalore? Good luck with that. Also if you are a localite, most of your friends and family live in proper old Bangalore where roads cannot accommodate such cars. Parking is non existent.

Elevate and city are the only reasonable options to be honest. City V CVT at 17 lakhs due to heavy discounts, has ADAS too. And elevate V or VX. For people who have a budget of 20, ZX is a good option.

Skipped Venue and Sonet due to DCT and safety.
Skipped Nexon due to TATA service and unfinished product. I still think Nexon is an unfinished product, you cannot have niggles after so many years in your flagship product. I feel for people when i go through the nexon thread especially the new ones with DCA.

Like a fellow team bhpian from Bangalore mentioned i think I should also settle with Uber/ola/auto and public transport (Which btw IS pretty bad in our city)

Thanks for reading.
NJ_9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 13:33   #45

Dear BHPians,

Like many of the esteemed members above, I recently hit this conundrum as multiple factors have become apparent.
I have moved my Maruti Suzuki Swift ZXI 2015 (petrol) to Maharashtra. Having only 25K on odo its quite fresh. It runs about 5K kms per year and has no serious issues. It runs like a breeze and gives a 20+ mileage on highways any day.
I am considering whether to pay tax in Maharashtra and migrate it or sell it in my native place and buy a new car. I have been thinking to upgrade to a Tata (as it is not so fragile).
One notable point is, I have not checked the selling price but there is one serious accident in its history that may dip the price.
Given the fact that the taxes in Maharashtra is a lot and therefore selling it in Maharashtra is definitely not an option.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks