Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2023, 19:52   #1
BHPian

Special editions | The good and the bad

Recently, carmakers have adopted the trend of ‘special editions’ or ‘limited editions’. I am in no way nitpicking, as it is everyone’s dream of owning a special car which very few people have (People such as me who want to stand out). There have been some amazing editions out there in the market which people desire to buy. However, every coin has 2 sides, and some of these editions looks simply ugly and undesirable (no offence to any owners)

This is not a thread to discuss if we would buy those special editions or not, but to point out some of those editions which look HOT, and some editions which look BAD.

HOT:
1) Tata’s #Dark Range: One word - SEXY! Really beautiful editions, tasteful chrome deletes (just like how we BHPians like it!) and it is worth paying extra for these editions.

2) Hyundai’s N-Line range: Not just merely cosmetic changes, but even the engine under hood changes. Along with the sporty exhaust and stiff suspension, not forgetting the tasteful interiors, it paves way for a VFM enthusiast car.

3) Kia’s X-Line editions: The main highlight here is the matte paint shade and the changed alloy wheels. Though it is merely cosmetic, and no dynamic changes have been done, one will get a special feeling when owning them.

4) Renault’s Urban Night Limited: They introduced a host of electronic features to mainstream cars, giving them unique features that cars 3x their price don’t get. Not to mention, aesthetics have improved greatly

5) BMW’s ///M range: These cars have greatly upgraded drivetrains and engines, definitely worth the buy. Even though they are expensive, finding a free stretch and flooring the juice pedal will always put a W-I-D-E grin on your face.

6) Mercedes /////AMG line: Similar to that of BMW, Mercedes also has its AMG line, which provides significant engine upgrades on their cars, and also plush interiors, which even further elevate the driving experience.

7) Audi’s RS range: Audi has its own RS range, similar to that of BMW and Mercedes. Even though its engine is not as explosive as its competitors, it does provide amazing aesthetics on the exterior, not to forget the amazing modifier ABT.

BAD:

1) Volkswagen’s ‘Sound’ edition: Volkswagen recently introduced the sound edition in the Taigun and Virtus. Nothing has changed in the car except a ‘so-called better’ audio system that boasts a subwoofer. IMHO, it is unnecessary to waste their money on such editions, not to mention the ugly stickers on the C-pillar of the car.

2) MG’s ‘Blackstorm’ edition: MG has its Blackstorm edition in both the Gloster and the Astor. Although the Gloster features tasteful changes, the Astor Blackstorm is based on the mid-trim Smart variant (the alloys and the fabric seats, along with no chatbot is the giveaway). It is not as bad as the other ones, but definitely unwanted.

3) Toyota’s Hycross special edition: No major changes when viewed at first. But when we look closely, some subtle changes are visible. I am not nitpicking every part, but IMHO, it is just a waste of money.

Feel free to add other cars to the YAY or NAY list!
Attached Thumbnails
Special editions | The good and the bad-tataaltrozdarkeditionfront3quarters696x524.jpg  

Special editions | The good and the bad-20200930123556_hyundaii20nlinefront1.jpg  

Special editions | The good and the bad-download.jpg  

Special editions | The good and the bad-2018audirs3_100616074_h.jpg  

Special editions | The good and the bad-oif.jpg  

Special editions | The good and the bad-oip.jpg  

Special editions | The good and the bad-toyotainnovahycross641e.jpg  

mgastor2022grey is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 20:53   #2
BHPian

Re: Special editions | The good and the bad

Special editions | The good and the bad-screenshot-20231121-205145.png

Let's talk about the Kushaq Onyx edition, because, I mean, who thought bathroom tiles on a car door were the next big thing? Did someone accidentally wander into the wrong design meeting? Picture this: a group of executives discussing car aesthetics, and one person goes, "Hey, what if we put bathroom tiles on the car door?" Everyone else must have been too stunned to object, or maybe they thought it was a masterpiece. But seriously, the person who greenlit this needs a standing ovation – for making us laugh so hard we almost forgot how strange it looks. Let's start a petition to protect innocent cars from such sticker atrocities!
MotorDev is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 22:20   #3
ike
BHPian

The #Jet editions from Tata. I own the Harrier Jet edition, gets a Piano black grille, Disc brakes at the rear, EPB with auto hold, and 17" alloys, upholstery with #Jet embroidery.

Special editions | The good and the bad-jet-editions.jpg

Last edited by ike : 21st November 2023 at 22:22.
ike is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 22:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post
Recently, carmakers have adopted the trend of ‘special editions’ or ‘limited editions’.!
Can’t comment on India, but there have been special and limited editions as far as I can remember.

my 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider QC was a special edition.
My 1998 Jeep Cherokee was a limited edition

Check out any classic car show and you will find pre-war car makers had special and limited editions too.

And there has always been a debate about the pro’s and cons

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 13:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post

Let's talk about the Kushaq Onyx edition, because, I mean, who thought bathroom tiles on a car door were the next big thing? Did someone accidentally wander into the wrong design meeting?
How could I forget? Absolutely true, seems like someone in Skoda is out of their minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
The #Jet editions from Tata.
True, Tata has been churning out really good cars for the past 4-5 years, and the #Jet is no exception.

Adding Maybach to the HOT collection:
Attached Thumbnails
Special editions | The good and the bad-2021mercedesmaybachsclass10.jpg  

mgastor2022grey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 14:14   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

How can you forget the special editions from Maruti? . They will top the "Bad" list. Some weird stickers, chrome and painted wheel covers for a premium.
naveen.raju is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 14:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post
Let's talk about the Kushaq Onyx edition, because, I mean, who thought bathroom tiles on a car door were the next big thing?
Till I saw it (the photo thankfully not in real life) I could not believe it. To be fair, even now I am pinching my self checking whether I am dreaming (nightmare ?). Even with my pretty low standard of aesthetics this is bad. Hell I cannot even think of using the word aesthetics in the same sentence.

This only proves one point, no matter how stunning the car looks, it is easy to destroy it with just a sticker.
electric_eel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 15:16   #8
AYP
Senior - BHPian

How many of you remember that we had a Swift RS-

Special editions | The good and the bad-marutiswiftrspictorialreview.jpg

The morning glory edition-

Special editions | The good and the bad-20151008091157_gl1.jpg

Special editions | The good and the bad-20151008091205_gl3.jpg

Pretty sure that there were a couple of other limited editions as well for the 2nd gen Swift. All were a big Nay!
AYP is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 15:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
How many of you remember that we had a Swift RS-

The morning glory edition-

All were a big Nay!
Absolutely true!! Pathetic designs from Maruti. Looks like all the cars were modified by some trainee at DC Designs . The morning glory edition looked way better than the Swift RS, but still: Wake up in the morning and see the morning glory edition, your day will go WAY ABOVE WHAT YOU IMAGINED! (pun-intended).

On the other hand, Maruti has produced one of the best sport editions too: The Baleno RS! See the irony where a company produces both the best and the worst. Added it to the HOT section
Attached Thumbnails
Special editions | The good and the bad-2017marutibalenors01.jpg  

mgastor2022grey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 16:36   #10
BHPian

Having AMG, RS & M range cars in the list isn't really fair. These are not actual special edition but an entirely different line of performance cars which in a lot of cases are of a completely different segment in terms of price & performance.
Bhodrolok is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 17:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

My simple education with Special Edition
Once {perhaps some 8-10 years ago} at JSP Honda, a Repsol C250R {special edition} was awaiting many months for fixing accidental repairs. Upon asking the ASC said the bike has been put together with as many parts as possible, but HMSI wouldn't ship its Orange alloy wheels, during this time, I got my front alloy wheel replaced in less than a week's time frame just because mine was a common part.

My take: Special edition are good & distinctive {BTW, not many people on the road credits for it's unique looks except for the owner} & has to be taken care extremely well. Special editions are definitely owner's pride, but when it stagnant at ASC, the common one suddenly becomes owner's envy!!

Last edited by aargee : 22nd November 2023 at 17:36.
aargee is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 18:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
Having AMG, RS & M range cars in the list isn't really fair. These are not actual special edition but an entirely different line of performance cars which in a lot of cases are of a completely different segment in terms of price & performance.
I quite disagree with that.. The N-line cars from Hyundai also get a more powerful and fun to drive engine that the normal variants. Pricing is also quite a premium than the normal ones. Then how can you only point out the premium cars? Even the N-line is not a special edition. Please do not take the literal meaning of special. Here, special edition means the ones that are quite different from the mainstream ones. And in my opinion, they do stand out from the crowd. Who doesn't prefer to own a M3 over a 330LI? Who does not prefer to have an AMG GLA35 over a GLA 220D?

Think it over, will make sense.

Adding the Octavia VRS 245 to the Tasteful section
Attached Thumbnails
Special editions | The good and the bad-2017skodaoctaviars03.jpg  

mgastor2022grey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 10:16   #13
BHPian

Please remember Palio S10, the canary yellow attention magnet.
Heart_Revs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 10:24   #14
BHPian

Mercedes AMG line, Audi S line and BMW M Sport are NOT special editions. They are trim levels a buyer can specify on a car with nearly every powertrain variant. Abroad, you can have an AMG line with even a "220d" C class with zero mechanical changes.

AMG "Black" series, BMW CS, I agree are special editions.

Last edited by ashivas89 : 23rd November 2023 at 10:25.
ashivas89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 10:25   #15
BHPian

I feel the Skoda Octavia Onyx edition is a beauty (yes - I might be a little biased as I own one ) but the the black treatment in terms of interiors, alloys, etc make it look like a well done custom job even in it's stock condition.

Special editions | The good and the bad-20191010050138_skodaoctaviaonyx.jpg
praveen789 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks