Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2023, 16:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Toyota Land Cruiser bookings halted in India

According to a media report, Toyota has temporarily paused bookings of the Land Cruiser in India.

Rumour: Toyota Land Cruiser bookings halted in India-evoindia_202205_a1ab9bd1164345fb95f88ca1d1ceb7d3_1-1.jpg

Reports suggest that overwhelming demand for the SUV forced Toyota to stop taking orders. Bookings are likely to resume at a later date, and an official announcement will be made as and when it happens.

The Land Cruiser LC300 was launched in the Indian market last year. The SUV is priced at Rs 2.1 crore (ex-showroom).

In India, the Land Cruiser LC300 is offered with a 3.3-litre twin-turbo V6 diesel engine. It produces 305 BHP and 700 Nm and is paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission and a 4-wheel drive system.

Source: Carwale

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 15th November 2023 at 16:46.
TusharK is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 21:23   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (11)
Re: Rumour: Toyota Land Cruiser bookings halted in India

This sounds pretty believable. It doesn't matter how atrociously Toyota prices its SUVs'; there are plenty of buyers (politicians and contractors).

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th November 2023 at 22:50. Reason: Grammar.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 21:24   #3

If true, Only Toyota can afford to do this, it was Innova Hycross back then.
While others are struggling to manage Inventory Pileup.

Source : Link
Old 16th November 2023, 07:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Land Cruisers sold across the globe are manufactured only in one country - Japan. So there's a huge deficit in supply vis-a-vis the demand. The waiting period is in the range of 3 - 4 years.
amalji is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 12:51   #5
BHPian

I don't agree with the notion of a huge demand for the Land Cruiser. Almost every alternate dealer seems to have one for sale. Just check online—how many Land Cruiser LC300s are available for sale? I believe the supply exceeds the demand, and it seems like Toyota is artificially creating scarcity to maintain a premium. This pattern is also noticeable with the Mercedes G-Wagon, which is readily available for sale with almost every other dealer. Additionally, a new trend has emerged in the used car market where very low-mileage, and even unregistered cars are being sold at heavy discounts under the pretext of used/unregistered/display cars or test drive cars. I recommend keeping a close watch on the used car market to understand this unusual phenomenon.
vishal9999 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 15:42   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
I don't agree with the notion of a huge demand for the Land Cruiser. Almost every alternate dealer seems to have one for sale. Just check online—how many Land Cruiser LC300s are available for sale? I believe the supply exceeds the demand, and it seems like Toyota is artificially creating scarcity to maintain a premium. Additionally, a new trend has emerged in the used car market where very low-mileage, and even unregistered cars are being sold at heavy discounts under the pretext of used/unregistered/display cars or test drive cars.
The problem is black marketing! The wrong kind of people are getting hold of these cars from the dealership by joining hands behind the back. You get to see so many LC's come for sale from used dealers, like you said, except in a lot of cases cars are zero kms driven and they advertise in the sale that the buyer will be 2nd owner. They want to pocket the huge difference in cash. It is unrealy how much more people are willing to pay over retail, in cash, to get hold off a new LC.
Old 16th November 2023, 16:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Didn't the booking close soon after the initial lot was sold off?

Can't remember seeing the model even on their website.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 16:34   #8
BHPian

I know this is OT but as long as we have corrupt politicos and contractors robbing the nation, Toyota will do well in India. They have the best market here, otherwise why would there be unforeseen demands for a 2Cr + vehicle in India.
Old 16th November 2023, 16:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

I just got an update from my friend who is a long time Japan resident- he got his Land Cruiser 3.5L there after a 2 year wait!
Old 16th November 2023, 16:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I just got an update from my friend who is a long time Japan resident- he got his Land Cruiser 3.5L there after a 2 year wait!
More the demand , more the resale value —Toyota is expert in this game and hence in every territory they want to create demand —either by shortage or by selling to network used car dealers or launching new countries .
Old 16th November 2023, 23:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Didn't the booking close soon after the initial lot was sold off?

Can't remember seeing the model even on their website.
You are correct. Toyota stopped taking bookings just a few weeks after officially launching it as India wasn't getting enough allocations.

Those who managed to get their hands on one, have paid around Rs 2.4 Cr for it, and even after many months of using, they are getting offers for a similar amount or in some cases, even a small premium for their car.

So yes, there is a demand but Toyota India doesn't have supply.
S2!!! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 04:07   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Almost every alternate dealer seems to have one for sale. Just check online—how many Land Cruiser LC300s are available for sale?
I don't know which country you are talking about, certainly not on Earth

If you are talking about India, forget any alternate dealer; you cannot get one across the country. Why this is even News is beyond my understanding, as Toyota dealers were not taking any orders in the first place, forever.

Quote:
This pattern is also noticeable with the Mercedes G-Wagon, which is readily available for sale with almost every other dealer.
Same wrong information. Mercedes dealers no longer hold any stocks and the invoicing and stocking is done by Mercedes India. There are some Diesels coming in later this year in a larger lot but getting hands over a G63, still is difficult. Though not impossible like LC300.

Quote:
a new trend has emerged in the used car market where very low-mileage, and even unregistered cars are being sold at heavy discounts under the pretext of used/unregistered/display cars or test drive cars.
Apart from Audi, I don't think this is correct. Please do share some examples. Most of the premium cars, especially the ones that carry longer lead times hold values.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th November 2023 at 04:15. Reason: Minor edit
Turbanator is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 11:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I don't know which country you are talking about, certainly not on Earth

If you are talking about India, forget any alternate dealer; you cannot get one across the country. Why this is even News is beyond my understanding, as Toyota dealers were not taking any orders in the first place, forever.
Please enquire with any luxury car dealer and within a week ,he will have car to offer ,you can see this trend very frequently.

Quote:
Same wrong information. Mercedes dealers no longer hold any stocks and the invoicing and stocking is done by Mercedes India. There are some Diesels coming in later this year in a larger lot but getting hands over a G63, still is difficult. Though not impossible like LC300.
I am been offered G63 almost every week --here also please check with your network and online portals ,olx and facebook marketplace have so many options listed.(currently under 5000kms --15-20 nos are available on olx).

Quote:
Apart from Audi, I don't think this is correct. Please do share some examples. Most of the premium cars, especially the ones that carry longer lead times hold values.
Please check this trend is very common with mercedes and bmw ,please check with higher end low sales model.Models which are fast moving certainly dosent have this benefit.
vishal9999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 11:48   #14

I don't get the appeal for the Land Cruiser. Spent some 6-8hrs a day in one being driven around Bhutan for 10 days and I don't see the appeal at all. Cars are government subsidised there and you regularly see high end(for India) cars used as taxis. Got the LC assigned to us and it was just a roomy car with average interiors and a bumpy ride.

Quote:
I don't agree with the notion of a huge demand for the Land Cruiser. Almost every alternate dealer seems to have one for sale. Just check online—how many Land Cruiser LC300s are available for sale? I believe the supply exceeds the demand, and it seems like Toyota is artificially creating scarcity to maintain a premium. This pattern is also noticeable with the Mercedes G-Wagon, which is readily available for sale with almost every other dealer. Additionally, a new trend has emerged in the used car market where very low-mileage, and even unregistered cars are being sold at heavy discounts under the pretext of used/unregistered/display cars or test drive cars. I recommend keeping a close watch on the used car market to understand this unusual phenomenon.
I don't understand the logic behind this. Who makes money in the above transaction? Won't the dealer make better profits by just selling it 1st hand to retail customers? Why sell in the used car market?
Old 17th November 2023, 13:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Land Cruiser LC300 was launched in the Indian market last year. The SUV is priced at Rs 2.1 crore (ex-showroom).

In India, the Land Cruiser LC300 is offered with a 3.3-litre twin-turbo V6 diesel engine. It produces 305 BHP and 700 Nm and is paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission and a 4-wheel drive system.
If LC300 is launched in India then why it’s not showing up on the Toyota India official website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
If you take a look at the used cars portal in Japan, many LC300’s are available both diesel and petrol models ! Probably one of the reasons for Toyota to cancel new bookings.

https://www.sbtjapan.com/used-cars/?...ort=46#listbox

Last edited by Aditya : 18th November 2023 at 05:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks