Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Tata Harrier today?
Yes 61 16.40%
No 311 83.60%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2023, 11:31   #1
Team-BHP Support

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Harrier

When Tata launched the Harrier in 2019, a lot of things changed for the Indian manufacturer. The perspective of customers changed towards Tata and a lot of car buyers started to seriously consider this SUV from Tata. The Harrier created a lot of hype and rightly so. It looks futuristic, has a solid road presence and is robustly built too. The Harrier has again been the talk of the town ever since the launch of the facelift and has scored a 5-star safety rating at the GNCAP. Like the new car market, the Harrier is also popular in the used car market. Powering the Harrier is a Fiat-sourced 2.0-litre diesel engine that is offered with a 6-speed manual transmission and a 6-speed automatic transmission. Note that the first batch of the Harrier was offered in a lower state of tune and made 138 BHP. 2020 cars were offered in a higher state of tune and made 168 BHP. So, if you're in the market for a Tata Harrier, make sure you check how many horses that particular car makes.

Used Tata Harrier Pros

• A competent used car that makes more sense than some of the new cars in the segment
• With so many special edition cars, you might end up with something special
• Stunning looks & strong road presence. Robust build too
• Classy, spacious cabin with comfortable seats & a chilling air-con
• 138 / 168 BHP, 2.0L diesel offers good driveability and a punchy mid-range
• Smooth & competent 6-speed automatic transmission
• 205 mm of ground clearance + terrain response system. Latter will make monsoon driving safer
• Fantastic 9-speaker audio system. Sound quality & bass are enjoyable
• Topnotch safety kit includes 6 airbags, ESP, break reminder, hill hold, brake disc wiping & more
• Features such as panoramic sunroof, Eco & Sport modes, xenon projectors, auto headlamps & wipers, cruise control…

Used Tata Harrier Cons

• First batch cars were riddled with issues. Even new cars have niggles. Concerns over long-term reliability associated with Tata cars
• No petrol option. No AWD for enthusiasts either
• The 168BHP cars are priced on the higher side (138 BHP cars are more affordable)
• Heavy steering gets cumbersome at parking / u-turn / crawling speeds (<5 km/h)
• Harrier AT’s focus is on smoothness & comfort; gearbox is not the most responsive
• 6-speed MT is cumbersome in the city. Go for the AT only.
• Service visit every 6 months / 7,500 km (12-months is the norm today)
• Diesel engine does get loud at 3,500 rpm & its engine note is quite sad too
• Although improved, the Harrier's steering @ 120 km/h is still a level too sensitive
• Early cars had some ergonomic flaws and the ORVM created a massive blind spot
• Tata's after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble

Related Threads

• Official Review

• 2020 Harrier Facelift 168 BHP Diesel AT Review

• ike's Tata Harrier #Jet Edition

• nanoguy's Tata Harrier Red-Dark Edition

• igniteddriver's 2019 Tata Harrier XM

• mridul's Tata Harrier XZ+

• janakiram_m's Tata Harrier XT Dark Edition

• ellusiv's Tata Harrier XZ+

• Jattitude's Dual-Tone Tata Harrier XZ

• Jaisalmeriya's Tata Harrier XZA+ Dark Edition

• theexperthand's Tata Harrier XZ+ Dark Edition

Things to watch out for in a used Tata Harrier

• Livnletcarsliv's problematic Harrier

• Issues with Bhatt's brand new Harrier

• sage_sandman's niggles and issues with his 2022 Harrier

• kaushal-pandya's problems with his Harrier XZA+

• Engine_Roars's sister's bad ownership experience

• plosh's Transmission thud / jerk in Harrier XTA+ Dark (Automatic)

• Dr Aman Veer Singh's issues with his Harrier

Mod Potential

We don't recommend modifying the Harrier. 168 BHP is more than enough for the Harrier, but if you are looking for more performance from the 2.0-litre diesel engine, there are a few remaps available in the market. Just a word of caution though, be careful who you get your car tuned from. BHPian bil.007 had a terrible experience tuning his Tata Harrier.

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Harrier-2020tataharrierfacelift01.jpg

Availability

Good for a car that was launched in 2019. Tata announced in May 2023 that they sold 1 lakh Harriers since launch. A good amount of them have found their way to the used car market. Check out some examples on sale here. We strongly recommend going for the newest model you can find, and preferably one still under warranty. If extended warranty is an option on your purchase, go for it!

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Harrier-1.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Harrier-2.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Harrier-3.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Harrier-4.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Harrier-5.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Harrier-6.jpg

Last edited by Omkar : 14th November 2023 at 11:32.
Omkar is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 11:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Harrier

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.
Omkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 13:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Reminds me of a scene from the spoof movie, 'Scary Movie' [Run B___ Run] which itself based on a 19th century American slave folksong, (Run n____ Run)

If one still want a Harrier, the latest the better. Preferably the automatic. Better if it still has the extended warranty. Though IMHO, if the price difference is less than 4-5 lakhs from a brand new car, don't bother. Buy the new one.
DicKy is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 13:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Buying a new Harrier that still has glitches to be ironed out is a daring decision especially at the price point. But buying an older model used without extended warranty period is just straight up Fear Factor/Khatron ke Khiladi type of thing. Some will win but others will lose.
Nithesh_M is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 14:34   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wouldn't buy a pre-owned Harrier & voted no. The cars have way too many niggles & issues. They just feel extremely unsorted. What's worse is that, if a 1 - 2 year old model has so many problems, how is it going to age? The problems will increase multi-fold as the car crosses 7 - 10 years.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 14:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

I’d sooner buy a used / new Creta or Seltos or even an XUV 7OO than put my money on a Harrier - whether new or used. At this point in time, the only Tata car I’d be willing to wager on is a Nexon EV. Its a fairly compelling proposition - for everything else I’d first look to alternatives.

Just too many question marks / niggles and not that many things going for it either. Limited choice of fuel, no AWD etc. If I’m buying a non AWD car I’d rather buy one of the Korean twins or heck, even the Elevate. Wide range of engine options with automatic trannies and just more predictable ownership.
Axe77 is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 14:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Harrier 1.0 was clearly a beta testing product for me(though TATA kept refreshing incrementally) so perhaps a 2023 pre-facelift might be a more stable version(you may get some discount based on the stocks) so there is no question of going for used Tata Harrier. Either get the clearance stock of the old harrier or go for the face lifted harrier which will hopefully have most of the niggles sorted out(and less new niggles)

Last edited by rajshenoy : 14th November 2023 at 15:00.
Old 14th November 2023, 16:39   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Mk1 Harrier is a time machine, I have not seen a vehicle that ages this quick nor have I seen a vehicle that has rolled out of a factory floor with this many things not done properly - and I have been a Tata owner before, It has not been this bad.

Mk1 new Safari is also in this category, ages quickly.

But the practical me thinks that - For someone who needs a highway car with moderate use, I think its not a bad idea to pick up a used one with AT , Harrier V2 in other words is a good deal for such use case. You do get a more premium Duster for the money, large boot spacious interiors etc.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 18:19   #9
BHPian

Absolutely No.

2019 Harrier was a borderline flop, which was launched without AT, sunroof and an "adequate" 140 PS engine. It appeared so mediocre even on paper, leave alone in flesh (and function... and reliability...and after sales service... the list is long). Heck, it didn't even come with reclining option for the rear seats. Despite being inside a 4.6 meter 5 seater, the rear seat occupants couldn't stretch themselves. How much more stupid a designing team can be? This, along with the ugly first generation Nexon, was the reason for my dislike for Mr Pratap Bose who was overhyped by many members in this forum.

Tata Motors salvaged it in 2020 with AT, pano sunroof and a 170 PS engine to make it a borderline sales success that it is. Now with the 2023 facelift and the 5 Stars in NCAP, Harrier has become more attractive than ever.

So if you like the Harrier, go for the facelifted version.

If cost is a factor, go for the 2023 pre-facelift model with attractive discounts as the year end too is around the corner.

You will not save any significant money by going for 2022/2021 models.

Keep a safe distance from the 2019/2020 models.
Geta is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 18:43   #10
BHPian

Im surprised as to how the Harrier made it to this used car of the week thread. One is better off buying a new one straight from the showroom instead of buying a used Harrier. Tata cars age very badly. Apart from this, the engine and transmission combo(A/T) make a very lasting impression.
saikishor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 21:35   #11
BHPian

Forget a pre-worshipped, I would probably not even pick the facelifted one today. The car is just full of niggles; even worse is the lacklustre response from the service centres!

It’s sad to see that people having so many complaints with even the post-2020 Harrier. Not to forget it’s a premium product which costs upwards of 25 L.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th November 2023 at 22:34.
ashvek3141 is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 08:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Voted No.

Buying a Harrier/Safari, get the latest as more issues would've been resolved from factory.
Like the steering vibration issues we keep hearing about on previous gen would've been solved with the electric power steering in the current gen. This also means that there is lesser incentive to look into the cause of the issues with the hydraulic setup.

Hence buying used, isn't a risk I am willing to take.
shancz is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 20:02   #13
BHPian

Voted No. With its dismissal resale value, it would be rare to find a problem-free product as it's mostly going to be a distress sale. People don't easily sell their cars at poor resale unless they have a compelling reason.
drsnt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 20:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No. The 2022 Harriers are quoted at around Rs 20 L and if quite a few newer ones have reported niggles, chances are more that some niggle-riddled Harrier could have found its way to the used car market. The seller praises and usually says he wants to upgrade/has parking issues/ is going abroad/ is in need of money having lost it in the stock market and so on. And the buyer, unless he reads the cons listed in the OP is blissfully unaware and buys it based on "genuine" reasons put forth by the seller.

The six speed gearbox will thereafter take the buyer to worry levels that even his sixth sense will not be able to fathom.

The cons in the OP with additional unknown, hidden gremlins that could prop up at inappropriate times, were amusing for me to read as an observer. But if I had a Harrier parked in my garage, these cons could have surely given me a heart attack.

So I can't just become a guinea pig of the "Tata Research Centre for the Harrier" that has been in operation since 2019, but has not yet conclusively learnt to rectify issues.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th November 2023 at 21:03.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 09:52   #15
BHPian

Being myself an owner of the 2023 Safari, I voted no. However, if you still are interested in getting one:

1. Avoid the initial batch from 2019.
2. Avoid manuals.
3. Try to get that extended warranty.

Reason being, I did my research came across reports from FB Groups where people did back to back drives of '19 , '20 and '23 models ( Basically BS4, BS6 and BS6.2 ), and found that the newer vehicles are the most refined ones and less glitchy compared to previous models. Almost a day and night difference in steering feedback( All 3 hydraulics only), engine refinement etc.
r24x7 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks