Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Tata Harrier today?
Yes 61 16.40%
No 311 83.60%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2023, 09:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Harrier

Voted Yes !

Only for the latest of pre facelift models. Provided the asking price is same (I believe harrier resale prices are low, due to the strong negative reviews on the niggles & service experience)

If someone can find a car with proper service history with no niggles reported, I think they can go for it.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 09:58   #17
BHPian

Voted NO

We have a 168 bhp harrier XMA in immediately family.
It's little more then 3 years old and done 32000 kms.

There is a whining sound coming since a few weeks and it's diagnosed as an alternator bearing issue , but the work is not been done due to Diwali holidays.

Also since day 1 there is an issue of car pulling to left and according to competent alignment guy it can't be solved.

So i would request please stay away from a used harrier as there are more chances of it being a troublesome ownership experience.
rikhav is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 10:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I have owned 7 tatas in the last 2 decades, of which I still use 2.

If you asked me if I would suggest buying new Tata? - NO

Now coming to used Harrier - oh hell NO!!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 16th November 2023 at 10:11.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 10:57   #19
BHPian

Voted No. After owning a new Harrier, I would never buy a pre-owned Harrier. My Harrier had too many issues & niggles, and spent every other weekend at the SC. In fact, I'd think twice before buying a new Harrier.
sanjayrozario is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 11:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
Absolutely No.

....reason for my dislike for Mr Pratap Bose who was overhyped by many members in this forum.
Finally, someone has the same unpopular opinion as me. As much as I like Mr. Bose's designs, he inserts way too many quirky elements in them. For example, why does the facelifted Nexon not have DRLs for the full length of the headlights? Why does the non-LED tail-light in the Altroz have such a design? The less said about the Punch's tail-lamps, the better!

Regarding the Harrier, as butch as it looks, from the side, the bonnet looks like a duck's beak rather than being upright. Thankfully, some sense prevailed in the current design head's head (pun intended). He ironed out the issue.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th November 2023 at 06:11. Reason: Grammar
i10_sanjay is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 16th November 2023, 12:09   #21
BHPian

Voted NO!

Personally I like how the car looks and definitely sounds like a good VFM offering on paper.

But given the huge number of issues others have faced, I definitely can't see myself buying a pre-owned Harrier. If it's offered at a great price, chances are it will also bring a truck load of niggles and headache along with it. If I absolutely had to go for a pre-owned TATA, I would put my money on Nexon, considering its a fairly stable product and TATA's favourite child
EvilZombie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 12:30   #22
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
If you asked me if I would suggest buying new Tata? - NO

Now coming to used Harrier - oh hell NO!!
Oh you blasphemous @#$%

Well I also voted no too despite owning a Harrier. Tata have come a long way but are still not out of the woods, not to mention the anemic 140PS engine in the earlier models. While my experience so far has been good, I have this nervousness/uneasiness in the back of my mind always.

Last edited by ike : 16th November 2023 at 12:40.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 12:33   #23
BHPian

Voted No as the older variants skimp on the latest features and probably also a detuned engine.
Old 16th November 2023, 14:28   #24
BHPian

I wouldn't touch a used Harrier with a barge pole. God knows what led the owner to push the vehicle off with sooo many niggles riddling this assembled product.

Hands down one of the most beautiful vehicle on road though. But as they say, all that glitters isn't gold. Getting a good condition Harrier should count as winning the bumper lottery.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 14:38   #25
BHPian

I wouldn't buy any Harrier, new or used

Reasons -
The looks just don't settle with me
Lots of reported niggles
Plenty of horror stories about Tata ASS

Voted No
Old 16th November 2023, 14:59   #26
BHPian

I voted NO. I would choose A BIG NOO if that option was in the poll.

Here are the reasons why I recommend you not to buy a used TATA Harrier:

1. Engine: From its inception to till date: Models before 2020 have a lower state of tune (~138Bhp) and the models from 2020 have a higher state of tune (168Bhp) with a comparatively better NVH than the old one. The 2020 Harrier got the blindspot created due to a bigger ORVM fixed.

2. MT vs. AT: If it is a Harrier MT, straightaway drop the idea as the Harrier (& its twin too) has a harder clutch added with longer pedal travel. The cherry on top is the left knee touching the dashboard humanity line, one would feel this more in MT.

3. The Steering Wheel is one of the major cons with Harrier. That's not sorted to drive in City and Highway. Also, models after 2019 are prone to have alignment issues (infamous left pulling).

4. Service Intervals: 7500kms for a minor service and 15k for a major service is still a bummer. From what I heard from my friends and colleagues owning Harrier Twins, their service costs are always above 13k (starting from the free service). Now think of the service costs when the car ages.

5. On top of all, TATA ASC and their service quality is a huge letdown in most of the cities.

6. I am not sure/assure you about this, but the models before 2023 may not score a 5-Star in Crash Rating. That's why TATA updated the Harrier Twins and sent it in the 2023 Version.

7. Poor quality of infotainment & center console unit: XT+ and below get a 7" Center Console Unit and an Analogue MID. XZ and above get a 9" Center Console with Digital MID. I would rate the SW, UI and performance of the Center Console as the poorest of the lot.

Rather, I would recommend you to buy the ALL NEW HARRIER (or 700). Below are the reasons why:

1. Steering Wheel - The most discussed Steering Wheel is updated to the all-new EPS Unit. That's a bliss to drive inside the city. This change is done in favor of ADAS.

2. Crash Safety: You are hearing it right. Harrier is now a safe(st) car w.r.t GNCAP test criteria.

3. AT If you are planning to buy a new one, go with AT.

4. Improved quality of infotainment & center console unit: Now the MID and Console are much updated and they are really fluidic.

5. Interior: The interior space remains the same but the plastic quality has been drastically improved.

The comment on ASC and the Service Interval remains still the same though.
rudra_shiv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 16:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Voted No. Infact would not buy a new one too.

I cannot trust a manufacturer who launched a rubbish product to the public.

For me reliability trumps everything.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 16:03   #28
BHPian

We purchased a used 2019 Harrier (from the first batch) in 2021. Got the XZ MT. The car had done 45000 kms in those 2 years. Now the car stands at 82000 kms (would have easily done 90000 but it has been lying mostly idle the last 4-5 months). Yes there are niggles, and the car had broken down on the road twice. However, after we had overhauled its clutch system, it is now running smooth and the drive experience is fantastic. We do get a thought to sell it at times considering it is not driven that much lately. However, the moment we sit inside the car, we feel we should keep it for some more years at least, or till about 1.5 lakh kms. The ride quality is good, the bumps on the road are not felt, and my 3 month old baby gets the least disturbance from outside noise and road potholes in the Harrier.

That being said, from our experience, we would suggest only the AT variants for prospective buyers because the manual transmission is not so well sorted, and requires way too many gear shifts when in bumper to bumper traffic, and the clutch is way too sensitive and not meant for city traffic.
Old 16th November 2023, 16:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Even buying a brand new safari/harrier with warranty is a gamble, I wouldn’t touch a used one unless it was owned by a close friend or family and I’m familiar with all the gremlins of the car.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 18:00   #30
BHPian

Voted yes, just look for a honest first hand seller, ask him for all the niggles he has had (TATA cars have them) and check for the left pull issue and uneven tyre wear. Already have a 2022 Harrier AT, wonderful vehicle to drive.
Bought a new top of the line Nexon facelift, regretting my decision (should have gone for a second hand Harrier), nothing beats the comfort of the Harrier (cant say the same for the Safari as I haven't been in them apart from the test drive and didn't like the body roll). When I say nothing, I meant not even the Fortuner (50 lakhs on road) or the XUV 700, haven't driven other "SUVs" on long trips (>800 kms-1000 kms stretches).
regards kaps454
kaps454 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks