Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you bought the smaller engine option of any model, did you ever regret the decision?
Yes, all the time 92 31.83%
No, overall happy with the engine choice 80 27.68%
Mixed experience. Mostly fine, but with occasional regrets. 117 40.48%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2023, 20:58   #61
BHPian

Re: Did you ever buy the smaller engine option of any model? Did you ever regret it?

I think I’m the only one here who feels my car is under powered in city rather the highway. In city, we get smaller gaps and time to overtake whereas in highways where traffic density is much lesser and often one needs to wait just 5-8 secs extra for a gap to open up to overtake a vehicle, whereas in city we often find ourself struck behind a slow moving vehicle for many minutes untill a gap opens up. I’ve driven my 1995 carb Maruti 800, Indigo CR4 eCs and Baleno 1.2 across state and national highways, I have always wished for more acceleration in city rather than highways. Also, I am not a sedate driver
Sam800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 21:48   #62
BHPian

Re: Did you ever buy the smaller engine option of any model? Did you ever regret it?

Not within the same model, but I bought one between brands.
1. Bought Ford Figo(2012) Titanium vs Swift VDI:

My first car, still have Figo with me serving intracity travel. Built like a tank compared to Maruthi Swift. But that BS4 1.3 DDIS is a pocket rocket compared to Figo Diesel, which was strictly ok.
Went for Figo as I was getting top model vs VDI variant in Swift which had no ABS or Airbags. Had occasional regrets but Figo all but made up in terms of handling & that beautiful hydraulic steering setup. (Till date the only vehicle which came close was Fiat Linea Tjet's hydraulic setup)

2. Tata Safari(2022 Xta+) vs Xuv 700(Ax5):

Now here the story was little different. Loved XUV's power but hated that EPS. Felt like driving a toy compared to Safari. Also was not ready to wait 1.5 years and take in price hike, margin of which was unknown at that time.
Same her occasional regret of missing additional 100nm & hp, but I like the steering setup(No way near Figo though) & suspension of Safari more compared to XUV 700.
Old 9th November 2023, 21:57   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer05 View Post
In my experience, cars with larger engines (power/torque) are more relaxing to drive. This can be felt in long drives, I don't feel much fatigue even after 7-8 hour drives in my Octavia TDI.
Smaller engines on the other hand is more tiring as you have to constantly wrestle with gear, rpm, throttle pressure etc and they start to feel out of place in overtakes, quick movement in traffic etc
Absolutely, larger the engine, especially a good diesel, the more calm the triple digits become. My Hexa allows me to sit at 120+ kmph with the engine turning over at 1800rpm, plenty of mid-range punch on tap for overtakes, in a very composed non-frenetic manner. The weight of the engine adds to the magic as well, keeping the car surefooted. The Swift on the other hand, screeches and roars when pushed to those speeds; exciting stuff, but without a car load of people + luggage.

Last edited by ampere : 14th November 2023 at 09:01. Reason: compacted quoted post
thedragonreborn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 22:15   #64

Its reverse with me. I regret buying larger engine. I bought VW Teramont 3.6L in 2020, although had the option of 2L engine.Could have saved some money there.
2.0L should have been enogh for my city life and occassional highway drives.
Old 9th November 2023, 23:02   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
I did this mistake with my first car, Polo.

I wanted a TDI but it was out of my budget so a friend recommended to go for TSI but I thought how much of a difference would 1.0 MPI vs TSI would make. Boy o' boy was I wrong. I loved my Polo - MPI and drove it for 50,000 kms in 2 years but everytime on ghat section or straight roads I regretted not getting the TSI or TDI.
I made the exact same mistake. I wanted the 1.5 TDI so bad but since I was working in the UAE in 2018, my mom was involved in the purchase as she would be driving it when I was away and she was totally against diesel due to the clatter and didn't want an automatic either (TSI) as she was well established with her beloved M800. Had to settle for the 1.2 MPI Comfortline and I don't really enjoy the power as it takes time to pickup, especially under load.
I still love the car overall because of the handling and the timeless looks but that deep regret of not getting the TDI remains. Have already decided to either go for a turbo diesel or turbo petrol for my next car. Never buying a NA engine again!
Old 9th November 2023, 23:14   #66
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Never regretted because never missed buying the highest spec one available

My current rides have highest capacity engines in their model lineup (and in the segment too) -

Versys - inline 4, 1050cc
Dominar - 400 cc

Accord - 3.5L V6
XUV500 - 2.2L

Next in line - Legender 2.8 D
Old 9th November 2023, 23:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I bought a Ford Ikon Flair 1.3, when I could've purchased a slightly older 1.6 variant.

While I dont really regret completely, the itch of not having a better powered similar car was still there.. Every oppurtunity, i would find reasons on how the 1.3 is similar to 1.6.
Mixed experience for me as well.

I had the exact same thought dhanushs. I owned a Ikon Flair and loved it fully. It never really felt lacking on the highway or the city but I did miss the low end grunt of the 1.6 engine over the 1.3.

After Ikon the next 2 cars I didnt have that conundrum. Still have figo 1.4D and XUV500. Both have pretty good engines for their segment.
Old 10th November 2023, 07:36   #68
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to cars, I have never regretted the engine choices I made. The only regret I have is not buying the car at the right time. When the Scross was launched, I got the 1.6 Alpha, I didn't TD the 1.3 though as I was pretty sure of my requirement. Got the Gurkha BS6. The only regret though I have, I wish I could have gone for the 2.2 when it was available.
The other regret I have is not buying the Crysta 2.8 when it was available.
Recently purchased a preowned Wagon R, no regrets in this front as it is used in city only for which it is perfect: nimble with a narrow footprint.
Way back in 2010, I got a Swift Diesel, again never bothered to TD the petrol as I was pretty sure of what I needed.

In terms of motorcycles, yes I have always regretted:
  1. My first bike, a TVS Victor when I could have bought a Fiero or a HH CBZ (big regret)
  2. Bought a Pulsar 150 when I could have bought a a Pulsar 180
  3. Bought a Unicorn when I could have bought a Karizma
  4. Bought a Pulsar 220, slight regret of not picking up a CBR250
  5. Royal Enfield Classic 500- Absolutely no regrets
  6. Royal Enfield Himalayan- small regret, could have bought a KTM 390 Adventure

Currently I have made up my mind to buy a multi-cylinder Motorcycle, maybe the RE 750 if it comes in the Himalayan maybe?

Last edited by ampere : 14th November 2023 at 09:03. Reason: Itemized with forum formatting
Old 10th November 2023, 09:29   #69
BHPian

Within our family someone had a 1.3 Ford Ikon Flair and two years later they moved to 1.6 Josh machine. We have a Hyundai Xcent (AT) at home and while it is great for the city, on the ghats it has its moments of reworking the AT and trying to get the most out of the small engine.

When I brought home the Ford Endevour, I was very clear, no 2.2 or 2 Ltr engine for this big SUV, I was clear, it had to be the 3.2 ltr, 5 cylinder engine. From snow in Himachal to sand in Rajasthan to coffee estates in Karnataka to beaches in Kerala/Karnataka to agricultural fields in Haryana to steep Aravali climbs or steep ghats or remote jungles in central India - this is the engine that will do its duty all day without breaking a sweat. There is a huge difference when the bigger, more powerful engine on the same chassis is sitting.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 10th November 2023, 10:28   #70
BHPian

Voted mixed.
Overall I am happy with my choice of 1.0L Virtus, and even highway performance is great. But there is occasional regret during overtakes, there is a slight delay in overtake where I regret not having the additional HP.
Old 10th November 2023, 11:14   #71
BHPian

Overall I feel it depends on how accustomed you become to power delivery of the engine. I learnt driving on a Mahindra Thar, which has a very powerful engine for a beginner. At first it used to be intimidating. As days passed, I got comfortable and then it began to feel inadequate.

My daily drive, a Multjet Ritz however has a different story. I find it adequate in city (albeit I have to be mindful of the awful turbo lag). Even in Kerala highways, I find it adequate and doesn't require much planning to perform overtakes .
Old 10th November 2023, 11:46   #72
BHPian

Did not vote (probably for the first time).

All the cars that I owned/own currently are the top spec and top trim models. Never into this confusion and grief. The only time I got a lower trim is Jazz D V instead of VX (ZX was not a trim when launched) was because the head unit in V was better than the one in VX with better connectivity setup and I did not see myself using Magic Seats.
Old 10th November 2023, 12:00   #73
Senior - BHPian

The only regret was the 1st gen i10 in 2010, I should have gone with the Swift at that time.

The used Corolla AT in 2017, S-Cross 1.3 in 2018 and Alcazar 1.5D in 2022 were all conscious choices.
Old 10th November 2023, 14:29   #74
BHPian

Well not really engine in my case. I was on a lookout for an EV and decided on the Nexon EV prime. The dark edition was costing about 17.xx lacs on road and the Nexon Max was 20.xx lacs on road. On inquiring with the sales folks I was informed that the difference is only due to larger battery and some additional features. My main requirement was using in the city and the 3 lacs I would save on the prime, would cover the running costs for the life of the vehicle. I could live with lesser features as the vehicle would be primarily be driven by a chauffer.

It was only when I went in for my first service I was informed by the service folks that the Max has complete new electronics which consume less battery, Max has a better regenerative braking system and the most important was that the Max has a smoke sensor for detecting fire in the battery which is not there in the Prime. I am sure Nexon Prime owners would not be aware of this. Don't get me wrong here, I am happy with my purchase of the Nexon Prime as it serves my needs well. However I would have got the Max if I was well informed by the sales folks at Tata.

Last edited by BHPjunkie : 10th November 2023 at 14:34. Reason: additional information
Old 10th November 2023, 14:59   #75
BHPian

I've been screaming to prospective car buyers in my circle to buy the best engine gearbox combo a particular car has to offer. But still some people ended up buying the 1.0 litre Volkswagen over the 1.5 litre. I don't understand the sheer pull features of a car have over some people. Features loose sheen but the engine performance will not. Always go for the most powerful engine in the segment. Hence my garage now has - 1.5L Virtus GT DSG & 2.2L Diesel XUV700 AX5 AT. Best engine gearbox combos for the price. Absolutely no regrets.
true_sedan is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks