Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales?
Yes 333 81.02%
No 78 18.98%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2023, 19:36   #91
BHPian

Re: Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales?

There is the mind car, and the heart car.

All my life I bought those sensible, fuel efficient, compact, city-suited, practical cars. Cars that went from point a to point b with as little fuss as possible, a minimal carbon footprint, and low owner's anxiety.

And then I bought the Jimny. Knowing it's many cons, despite everything, and being over-priced.

And do you know what? It's 5,000 km already, and I still love the experience, still look forward to each drive, and try and make every excuse to create another reason to drive!

It's a car straight for my heart. And I'm loving it!
pheru8b is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 08:25   #92
Senior - BHPian

Laughably narrow tyres really amuse me when I see the Jimny in stock (I have always suspected Maruti taking liberties in the advertisements). Add to the fact that they are not even off road tyres, it does not tug at my heartstrings like an old Mahindra CJ from the 80's does. For this sort of money I would like my purpose built machine look the part (and it doesn't IMHO)

My quest for that perfect micro city car will also look elsewhere
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 10:10   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Laughably narrow tyres really amuse me when I see the Jimny in stock (I have always suspected Maruti taking liberties in the advertisements). Add to the fact that they are not even off road tyres
You will be surprised how good these HT duelers are off road. They are outstanding on and off the road. They do look tiny but in tune with the concept of the Jimny which is a compact off-roader.

I am confident no liberties were taken in the advertisements. Whatever antics they have shown are easily achievable with the stock vehicle.
gsferrari is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 11:26   #94
BHPian

Maybe there is a market beyond Maruti's core users. If Maruti Jimny sales slow down, maybe Big-Daddy Toyota can rebadge it as a Toyota Hyrdyer Jimny to boost sales up.
mk600 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 11:52   #95
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes.

I expected the Jimny to be in the 10L bracket for a no frills car - MT, 4x4 and power windows only. The rest of the features offered could be avoided for an off road vehicle.
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 12:04   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqr View Post
Despite discounts, Maruti Jimny suffered a sales decline during the ongoing festive season. IMHO, Maruti overpriced Jimny by INR 1.5 lakh.
Voted yes.

I too think Jimny is overpriced by 1.5-2.0 lakh. If Maruti had offered Hybrid versions with the current pricing it would have been in top 10 sales chart.
Old 8th November 2023, 12:21   #97
BHPian

Maruti is a formidable player in the autoscape, with a robust sales and marketing arsenal at its disposal. They exhibit a consistent track record of executing their strategies effectively. The Jimny, in my opinion, remains a 'wait and watch' endeavor for the company. It's worth recalling the experience with the S-Cross; upon its initial launch, it faced criticism for its pricing, but Maruti's subsequent re-launch of the S-Cross proved to be a resounding success.

The Jimny carries a strong aspirational appeal, particularly for those who have had the chance to witness its design in Southeast Asia or Europe. I, like many others, was truly captivated by its raw and captivating design. Although Maruti may face some limitations due to the having only two engine options in the arsenal, I believe they have the potential to overcome these challenges and achieve long-term success in the market.
carsirdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 13:15   #98
BHPian

Voted YES.

In Australia, Suzuki has the LITE version of the 3 Door Jimny. This was because of the Chip shortage during that period and more demand for this vehicle.

Link to the Team-BHP post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...st-2021-a.html (New Suzuki Jimny Lite confirmed for Australia; to go on sale from August 2021)

So basically in the Lite version:
  • 2-Din CD player with AM, FM & Bluetooth instead of the 7 inch touch-screen infotainment.
  • No Automatic transmission option.
  • Basic Air-conditioning instead of the climate control.
Below is one the video of it:

So Maruti Suzuki can launch the SIGMA variant of the 5 Door Jimny here by removing most of the features not required without compromising the 4x4 capability. The pricing can be around Rs. 10 Lakhs ex-showroom.
bobbyblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 14:15   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
So Maruti Suzuki can launch the SIGMA variant of the 5 Door Jimny here by removing most of the features not required without compromising the 4x4 capability. The pricing can be around Rs. 10 Lakhs ex-showroom.
This would do wonders for the 4x4 scene but I am struggling to see how much more they can remove. They can delete 6 airbags and provide only 2 (not sure if that is compliant with current regulations). Other than that there is not much else they can get rid of. The 7" android auto and apple carplay unit is already very basic and the speakers are as cheap as they can get.

There is nothing else they can get rid of and reduce the prices, that I can think of anyway.
gsferrari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 14:15   #100
Senior - BHPian

Just for a lark, browsed OLX for used Jimny's. Found more than 50 used Jimny advertisements from potential sellers!
Wonder what's the case: Punters seeking to make a quick buck or generally not happy with the car after initial use?

Link:
https://www.olx.in/cars_c84/q-maruti...archCall=false
Old 8th November 2023, 14:21   #101
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes and have been saying this from the day the pricing was offered, with due respect to its capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
Spot on! This would have changed the equation altogether.
Old 8th November 2023, 15:06   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Laughably narrow tyres really amuse me when I see the Jimny in stock (I have always suspected Maruti taking liberties in the advertisements). ....
My quest for that perfect micro city car will also look elsewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
You will be surprised how good these HT duelers are off road. They are outstanding on and off the road. They do look tiny but in tune with the concept of the Jimny which is a compact off-roader.

I am confident no liberties were taken in the advertisements. Whatever antics they have shown are easily achievable with the stock vehicle.
Reading this post, the galaxy scene with frank the pug in MIB comes to mind. Watch at 1:08 onwards

Jokes apart, I really regret upsizing from the OE and that too, to 215/75 R15 LT Yokahoma. The tyres look real cool, but the comfort and the mileage is lost. The OE tyres of 195/80 R15 Bridgestone ecopia in Australia is the same as what we have here. Hence, no compromises on that department. As I mentioned earlier, Jimny was meant to be a rugged simplistic work horse which can take a lot of abuse. Just like the M80 of yonder years. Yes, we cant charge 17 lacs for a M80 and say that since I paid 17 lacs, I want my M80 to be a kawasaki Ninja or hayabusa or whatever.
Maruti pulled a fast one on the early buyers. No two ways about it. They artificially created a demand which was not there and thought it would catch on. It didnt but given Maruti's product portfolio, it's a minor setback. But that does not mean that Jimny is a worthless piece of junk because it isn't. It cannot be compared to any particular segment in the market.
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 15:07   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Just for a lark, browsed OLX for used Jimny's. Found more than 50 used Jimny advertisements from potential sellers!
Wonder what's the case: Punters seeking to make a quick buck or generally not happy with the car after initial use?

Link:
https://www.olx.in/cars_c84/q-maruti...archCall=false
Could be a mix of both.

I know most folks don’t fancy it’s compact dimensions, but this is just absurd .. or a troll of the highest order

Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales?-img_1554.jpeg
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 15:13   #104
BHPian

It isn't the price. There are two factors:

1. The Jimny is supposed to be a three door car. However nicely Maruti tries to engineer the 5 door version, it doesn't have the charm of the 3 door car sold abroad. (let's not forget that the Thar is also 3 door)
2. The lacklustre engine.

If you try to make a niche car too practical, the potential buyer of that niche does get turned off. That's what's happened here.

Maruti should bring in the three door version as an option. I would surely buy that in a heartbeat.
Taruns_Hah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 15:32   #105
BHPian

As a side note, due to this post, I realized that in Bangalore:
- Jimny top end can go all the way up to 18 lacs
- Thar top end can go all the way to to 21 lacs
- Gurkha, arguably the most off-roadable of the off roaders, is still hovering around the 18.5 lacs mark

How is Force able to rock a steady boat re: Gurkha prices? Are they losing money on each model sold?

Coming back to the exam question, I do not think the prices are hurting the Jimny sales, it less than brawny proportions are. I mean look at the Thar. It looks boxy and big, while the Jimny, looks just boxy. No offence to their owners, but most folks buy Thar just for the road presence, which Jimny squarely loses out on.

Last edited by Wageabond : 8th November 2023 at 15:35. Reason: Incomplete post
Wageabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks