Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales?
Yes 333 81.02%
No 78 18.98%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2023, 10:57   #76
BHPian

Re: Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales?

Lots of good points in this thread for Maruti to ponder - a soft top, a comfier rear seat, eliminate the AT whine are three I have culled from member’s posts above.

But sadly the Jimny’s small and boxy look may never work in a developing country with aspirational tastes. This is exactly why some people here irrationally want it to cost less than a Brezza, because their hearts tell them something which looks like that should be cheap. No way to fix that perception issue except by making it much bigger. Then it would totally sell!
Vikram9193 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 11:53   #77
RMN
BHPian

Pricing and lack on engine options. Probably the couple of points the casual or lifestyle buyer looks out for.

The Jimny had actually caught my attention when I was looking for a change recently. I had 0 intention of off roading or even overlanding and the hence the rather weak engine for that price easily took Jimny off the list.
Old 7th November 2023, 11:58   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
In the grand scheme of things, the diminutive looks of Jimny is a huge handicap to grow the customer base in our market ...................
I quite agree that the diminutive looks is a deal breaker. At least it was in my case.

I'd booked a Alpha MT within days of the booking opening but only got to touch and feel the vehicle one day prior to the price reveal.

My wife took one look at the vehicle and in particular, the interiors and announced that our Wagon R felt more spacious. Couldn't argue on that score. And the price was the final nail in the coffin. No way of justifying the Jimny as a second car.
Zezé is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 12:10   #79
BHPian

Voted for YES.

Too much of hype and unethical practices, rampant frauds by Maruti Suzuki and their Dealerships left a bitter taste in initial days. Despite of first day booking, I could get the vehicle on 28th July after many hiccups.

And thereafter, initial niggles, lack of maintenance support at NEXA service centre, lack of trained service technicians, no spare availability, unwillingness to investigate and provide solutions for the reported brake failure and other issues are not providing us a good, smooth ownership experience that we usually correlate with MSIL cars. I know few people who either dropped the idea of buying a Jimny or delaying the decision after knowing these issues. Why not a Thar if Jimny ownership is not a niggle/ trouble free experience?

Moreover, lack of features (I am not talking about sunroof here), cost cutting are too evident. What kind of rear suspension is this if I have to slow down to 5 kmph to cross a speed breaker or craters of urban roads?

MSIL should have trained their service staff, streamlined the spares supply chain and availability, and supported the Jimny owners with prompt resolutions for the problems reported instead of establishing Jimny as a NICHE and LIFESTYLE product. They got enough time since the unveil on 12th January, 2023. After all these negatives, if the market rejects Jimny; is the Price single reason for failure of Jimny from sales point? I don't think so.

And, this is my last car purchase from MSIL. I would never ever buy MSIL car again. I was firm on this decision. However, changed my mind just because of the Jimny. Henceforth, no MSIL car purchase.

Last edited by RijuC : 7th November 2023 at 12:28.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 12:42   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post
But sadly the Jimny’s small and boxy look may never work in a developing country with aspirational tastes. This is exactly why some people here irrationally want it to cost less than a Brezza, because their hearts tell them something which looks like that should be cheap. No way to fix that perception issue except by making it much bigger. Then it would totally sell!
I have to keep repeating this for the benefit of everyone.

We do not want a bigger car. I will never buy the thar for the way it looks. But Do I like the engine and gearbox? Hell yes.

Reduce the price to reflect the value of the car as it is. The most I would ask for is the new hybrid engines on the all new swift and the gear box from the same drivetrain. The Jimny in its current format is just a compromise this front and every single owner who had purchased this car in India will have written so in his ownership review.
Old 7th November 2023, 12:42   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
My $0.02 on the pricing. I own a Jimny and I am NOT happy with the pricing. There have been many instances where I have been very happy with the pricing of an automobile but this isn't one of those times.

Forward to 3:40s for the pricing thoughts.
https://Youtu.be/1HepMtPoVkk?t=217
Nice headrests. Can you share further details like price,
availability etc?
Old 7th November 2023, 12:48   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Nice headrests. Can you share further details like price,
availability etc?
This was shot from inside my Pajero SFX
gsferrari is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 12:52   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I have to keep repeating this for the benefit of everyone.

We do not want a bigger car. I will never buy the thar for the way it looks. But Do I like the engine and gearbox? Hell yes.

Reduce the price to reflect the value of the car as it is. The most I would ask for is the new hybrid engines on the all new swift and the gear box from the same drivetrain. The Jimny in its current format is just a compromise this front and every single owner who had purchased this car in India will have written so in his ownership review.
I’m sure there are a few people like us who like a smaller car but if it’s a question of driving sales, a bigger Jimny would have a much broader appeal IMHO. In our own use the engine and size have both been adequate. My partner’s Hyryder hybrid is sprightlier and more efficient, so a well priced hybrid would be interesting, sure.
Vikram9193 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 13:05   #84
BHPian

Voted NO.

Today I had the opportunity to follow a Jimny and IMHO it doesn't have the presence of THAR. Small footprint and when seen from the back its more of a jacked-up S-Presso with straight body panels, over flared wheels arch's and with a wheel on the tailgate. Add a ladder it resembles Wagon R showcased in the one of the auto expo's around 2010's.
Old 7th November 2023, 13:50   #85
BHPian

Voted No. I maintain that the Jimny would have remained a niche product regardless of a lower price. Its appeal stems from unique features that resonate with a particular consumer base, not merely affordability.

Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales?-img_2896.jpeg

I came across this graphic in a different context, but it aligns remarkably well with how I feel about Jimny’s positioning.

Despite its legendary status among off-road enthusiasts, the Jimny has found it challenging to translate its niche acclaim into broad market success. Efforts to increase its appeal and position it as a mass-market vehicle might simply dilute its identity and alienate its real audience.

With its boxy charm and robust capabilities, the Jimny was never designed to rival generic SUVs and crossovers for crowd appeal. It stands out as a vehicle with a distinct character, creating a special connection with its owner by providing more than just transportational utility. The Thar too pursues a similar goal but opts for a bolder, more commanding presence. Hence, within this niche, the Jimny will attract those who favour understated charm over an aggressive, rugged look.

Thus, while the Jimny may never transform into a mass-market offering, it should not aspire to do so. Its fate lies in remaining true to its roots, being the 'thing' that is cherished for what it is, not for what others wish it to become.
Biraj is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 14:31   #86
BHPian

The Jimny falls squarely into the "designed for a special purpose" vehicle category. Similar to say a low slung two door sports car that is designed purely from a track perspective. The Jimny will find appeal only with hard core off road enthusiasts. The anemic power-train is a buzz kill in urban/highway settings. The Thar has issues with the ride quality but at least that can be corrected via after market solutions but one is stuck with the Jimny power-train.

The toy like street presence doesn't help the cause. Eventually the euphoria will die down and the average joe will gravitate towards the next automotive fad.
yd_gli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 14:45   #87
Senior - BHPian

The question that is constantly on my mind is this: Had the Gypsy still been available new at 8-9L on road in 2023, would I have bought the Jimny at 17?

I think I would have bought a Gypsy for my masti and retained my Pajero SFX for the longer drives and family outings.
gsferrari is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 17:10   #88
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Reduce the price to reflect the value of the car as it is..
Just a segue into the world of Toyota Hilux. The latest buzz on that thread is that the Chennai Dealers are offering a straight 10 lacs discount on the Hilux. Perhaps that is the true value of that product as well.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 17:42   #89

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Yes, that is why I specifically mentioned the touchscreen system. Like I mentioned in my above post, they have to launch a 2WD version to cut the prices down significantly. Or cut down the standard 6 airbags to two.
Totally agree. Maruti Suzuki would want to rethink their strategy on not getting the entry-level 2WD variant. That would reduce the price, improve a little performance (by reducing weight) and could increase sales.
Old 7th November 2023, 18:03   #90
BHPian

Voted YES. I wish it was priced just 1.5L lower, doesn't offer me a significant upgrade over the Gypsy that I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Do you think this would have mattered? I think it would have had a deeper emotional connect with the people of this country for whom the Gypsy is a legendary vehicle.
I don't think so. The people who knew and have used a Gypsy to it's true use knows what the Jimny is and is capable of. They have already bought the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
The reason for this car not selling is on account of
1. poor features list,
2. absence of 2WD option and
3. a not so practical interiors
4. dated engine and transmission

I was looking at a City car with narrow width which Jimny is but for the above reasons (first three only), I did not buy this car.

If they had provided a city friendly features like 2WD, auto hold brakes, auto dimming IRVM’s etc, it would have been in my garage. Pricing is not my deterrent as I loved the exclusivity the design has got, the feature list is a deal breaker for me.
This exactly is the problem, a Jimny without a proper 4x4 setup and front solid axle is a lifted WagonR. The target audience and use case is entirely different.
raj4466 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks