Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales?
Yes 333 81.02%
No 78 18.98%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2023, 16:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

What works for phoren markets may not work in India. Nameplates like Civic and Corolla which are best selling world wide saw just about average sales in India for example. I don't see this as a failure for Maruti. There are plenty of foreign markets with pending demand. Maruti simply will use India as a export hub of the Jimny even if does not sell well here. I rather have a un-common car different from the one next to me while waiting at the signal as it gives me some uniqueness. I think the Jimny is a bit small with less sheet metal per rupee is possibly one of the reasons why the sales may have dampened a bit.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 16:29   #32
BHPian

I bought an expensive coffee equipment the other day which is definitely not anyone could say that it's value for money. But for me, that thing is special. I look forward to each morning to have my cuppa brewed through that pot. And for me, it is very special.
Something that most people could not understand.
To tell the truth, if I had to spend 20% more on it, even then I would be a happy man.

Similar thing is for cars. If it makes anyone feel special and joyful then one can spend any amount on it and it'll still work out.
People like me, standing on the fence, can also talk about its price, features which is perfectly fine thing to do on an automotive forum. And there is nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Folks here who feel the Jimny offered in India is overpriced should really think again.
I know you said no debate but I just want people to see the prices of Suzuki Ignis from the same website. Yes agreed, some variants are AWD, and has a CVT as well. But it goes upto 20,000 pounds which is roughly 20 lakhs INR. This is why it's my opinion, and I can be completely wrong, is to not compare the prices of the Jimny sold internationally with the one sold here.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-sea...&transmission=
Sherlocked is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 16:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
People like me, standing on the fence, can also talk about its price, features which is perfectly fine thing to do on an automotive forum. And there is nothing wrong with it.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it but I want to know more about the coffee machine now as a fellow coffee enthusiast
gsferrari is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 16:37   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Majority of the people who feel that the Jimny's pricing is justified happen to be the owners who have possibly bought the car at the launch prices. Of course, your mind will convince you to believe that you have bought the right car at the right price.

Let's wait for 6 more months and gauge the market response.

Also, if anyone is comparing International Jimny's pricing with that in India, then kindly compare Suzuki's other model pricing that are similarly specced as the Indian cars sold in the same country with that of Indian cars pricing.

In fact, majority of the people who feel that the Jimny's pricing is not justified happen to be non owners who have possibly not even taken the car out on a proper test drive. More of a case of sour grapes then, isn't it?

Looking forward to seeing keyboard warriors after 6 months, still gauging market response. By then, Jimny owners would have made enough memories impossible to put a price tag on.

Like I always say, price is what you pay, value is what you get.

Cheers!

Last edited by Aditya : 7th November 2023 at 05:20. Reason: Quoted post edited
R.Daroga is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 16:40   #35
BHPian

After all the heated discussion on the pricing, a change of topic! I've been using a plug in OBD controller on my Jimny, just drove it back from Goa to Gurgaon! This is a plug in unit to the ODB port. Manufaturer (www.gantuning.com) claims some BHP & Torques increase but the most useful difference is the throttle response & corresponding gear shifts. Have been using this on my Grand Vitara 2.4 quite happily for the last 2 years & have had a 15% improvement in fuel consumption in the city, apart from the improved response. Tried this unit on the Ecosport 1.5 Gen 3 City & the Ignis, all similar results. Max difference in performance was on the AMT Ignis!
rmonie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 16:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
According to this Link - Autopunditz they dispatched ~9200 units in FY 2023, none for the local market - all export. For a company like Maruti it may not be a good number to run a production line, even if you look at ~ 2000 units a month this year for domestic market or a bit less too, Its a lot better than only exports I think.
Interesting chart. There are a few factors to consider:
1. 5 door Jimny production only just started
2. 3 door Jimny production stopped in India at some point in the past 6 months (I am not sure of the precise date). This could have an effect on the export numbers as 5-door exports only recently started.
3. Typically Suzuki have shown a tendency to hold back on Jimny production creating a sort of hype around the waiting times and playing on the perception of desirability / exclusivity.

I don't know the overall 360 degree view of the Jimny's business model for Suzuki. If they seem happy to sell in small numbers, maintain strong demand with weak supply and retain high margins then these numbers would still make sense.

In an effort to take it back on topic. I recently did an under chassis wash and I wanted to grease the U-joints. I couldn't find the grease nipples in the usual locations. It appears these U-joints are not serviceable. When they go, you have to toss them out and replace with a new part. Just an FYI...
gsferrari is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 16:46   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with it but I want to know more about the coffee machine now as a fellow coffee enthusiast
It's the Bialetti Venus moka pot . I have made a post about it here on the Coffee thread. (A Yetiguide® to Coffee)

It perfectly compliments my Nespresso Essenza mini which is equally special to me.
Sherlocked is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 16:47   #38
BHPian

Quote:

Similar thing is for cars. If it makes anyone feel special and joyful then one can spend any amount on it and it'll still work out.

If you're standing on the fence, you should seek comfort from owners giving you the same value proposition that you got from your coffee machine (yes, I would love to know more about that too).

You're standing on the edge of a beautiful lake, too afraid to jump in thinking that the water is freezing cold while people already swimming in the lake are calling out to you saying the water is just perfect, it's a lot of fun, jump in!

Sometimes that's all you got to do: Jump in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
After all the heated discussion on the pricing, a change of topic! I've been using a plug in OBD controller on my Jimny, just drove it back from Goa to Gurgaon! This is a plug in unit to the ODB port. Manufaturer (www.gantuning.com) claims some BHP & Torques increase but the most useful difference is the throttle response & corresponding gear shifts. Have been using this on my Grand Vitara 2.4 quite happily for the last 2 years & have had a 15% improvement in fuel consumption in the city, apart from the improved response. Tried this unit on the Ecosport 1.5 Gen 3 City & the Ignis, all similar results. Max difference in performance was on the AMT Ignis!
Interesting. Have you driven a Jimny with a throttle controller installed? Wanted to know the difference between the two. I do understand that the throttle controller does nothing to boost the actual performance but it's the feel and throttle response that I'm talking about.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th November 2023 at 14:33. Reason: back to back posts merged
R.Daroga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 16:58   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I absolutely love the Jimny. It's cute, chuckable and capable. That being said, Maruti has priced it optimistically. They thought they'll get away with it. After all, before the 1.5L variant was launched, the Thar too was very premium priced for a 2-door impractical Jeep.

But a 2-door impractical Thar outselling a 4-door Maruti offroader says a lot. These purchases are purely driven by the heart and IMHO, the Jimny simply doesn't have that massive "ooomph" factor of the Thar. Yes, the Jimny is desirable, but the Thar way more so. The Thar also has the advantage of better engines, better ATs, bigger size / street presence and a diesel option.

Personally, as much as I love the Jimny, I'd never buy it because it's too small for my tastes, while the engine + transmission feel 20 years old. OTOH, my kid brother is looking for a stylish city car for my bhabhi and I'm pushing him for the Jimny .

Last edited by GTO : 6th November 2023 at 17:47. Reason: One more thing
GTO is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 17:02   #40
BHPian

In my observation, the typical requirements for an individual shopping for a 4x4 vehicle in India are, in order of priority:
  1. Imposing Looks
  2. Off-Road Capability
  3. Durable Build with Good Reliability
A minor additional requirement would be the ability to travel with family (a 4-door vehicle with comfortable seating), eliminating the need for separate family and 4x4 vehicles.

Considering the above factors, up to around Rs. 50 lakhs, the only vehicle that checks all the boxes is the Toyota Fortuner, which has been a massive hit. The Ford Endeavour also met the primary requirements and offered better ride and handling, but it didn't perform as well as the Fortuner, mainly because, in my opinion, it didn't have the same imposing appearance, and its off-road capability was slightly weaker. The emphasis is not on attractive looks but on having an imposing 'don't-mess-with-me' appearance.

Now, let's discuss the Thar. While it didn't meet the additional requirement perfectly, it ticked all the main priority boxes, making it successful in its own right.

Finally, the Jimny. In my view, the main factor contributing to its lackluster performance is its appearance. The Jimny, especially in person, looks C-U-T-E at best. It resembles a pocket 4x4, similar to how pocket rocket cars are to their respective category. Unfortunately, this is not what the Indian market expects from a typical 4x4 vehicle. The Jimny offers better ride and handling, 4 doors, Maruti reliability, and peace of ownership, which are positive features. However, these are not the primary characteristics the typical 4x4 market desires. If the Jimny had an appearance as imposing as even our old Gypsy, it might have been more successful. Even Jimny enthusiasts were disappointed with its looks.
Ashar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 17:21   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
In an effort to take it back on topic. I recently did an under chassis wash and I wanted to grease the U-joints. I couldn't find the grease nipples in the usual locations. It appears these U-joints are not serviceable. When they go, you have to toss them out and replace with a new part. Just an FYI...
Incase you are wondering why some owners manuals say not to pressure wash the under-bits of their latest engineering marvels , sigh!

Nowadays I think all of them are like this, use and throw variety, a fair bit of effort saved by having to cross drill grease passages , adding a grease fitting etc. it gets better , now at 40K PMS they can save 5 minutes spend on greasing but instead they will spend 1 hour replacing the U joint and charge us 3000 Rs extra.

On the way home from ASC, it would vibrate like hell because the idiot did not fit it back the same way it came out
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 17:41   #42
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales?

Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales? Posts moved to a new thead.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 18:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Majority of the people who feel that the Jimny's pricing is justified happen to be the owners who have possibly bought the car at the launch prices. Of course, your mind will convince you to believe that you have bought the right car at the right price.
Should we have bought a top-spec Nexon or mid-spec Creta instead? No, we need 4x4. Should we have bought a Thar instead? No, we need doors and a boot and we have back problems. See? It’s simple

The fact that it’s a global icon, and our Hyryder hybrid isn’t, is a bonus.

I sincerely hope they drop prices and people with limited budgets can join in the fun. We aren’t planning to sell ours for a decade or several

Last edited by Aditya : 7th November 2023 at 05:21. Reason: Quoted post edited
Vikram9193 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 18:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales?

My $0.02 on the pricing. I own a Jimny and I am NOT happy with the pricing. There have been many instances where I have been very happy with the pricing of an automobile but this isn't one of those times.

Forward to 3:40s for the pricing thoughts.

Last edited by gsferrari : 6th November 2023 at 18:30.
gsferrari is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 18:29   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post
I sincerely hope they drop prices and people with limited budgets can join in the fun. We aren’t planning to sell ours for a decade or several
The Jimny is a keeper that's for sure. Even if Maruti pulls the plug from Jimny in India, used Jimnys will only appreciate in value just like the Gypsy.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks