Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales?
Yes 333 81.02%
No 78 18.98%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2023, 14:32   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
The engine and gearbox have been in production since 2018 doing service on various platforms.

2018–Suzuki Ciaz Hybrid (India)
2018–Suzuki Ertiga
2018–present Suzuki Jimny Sierra
2019–Suzuki XL6/XL7
2020–2022 Suzuki S-Cross Hybrid (India)
2020–2022 Suzuki Vitara Brezza/Toyota Urban Cruiser (India)
2021–Toyota Belta (Middle East)
2022–Suzuki Baleno (Global)
2023– Suzuki Grand Vitara (Africa, FWD only)
*As per Wikipedia*
That is some research Did not realise that Jimny is a Grand vitara driven sideways. Anyways on the plus side atleast make spares cheaper and easily available, if Jimny gearbox needs replacement the dealer can put the Ciaz gearbox in be it AT or MT, should be cheaper also.

Quote:
The design itself is bare minimum, the plastics cheap.
I say the plastics are cheaper on the Jimny for example the air cleaner assembly of Swift, Ciaz, Ertiga/XL6 etc are all made of PP-TD40 plastic where as in Jimny its PP-GF30 plastic, everyone knows 40 is higher than 30!
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 15:01   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I say the plastics are cheaper on the Jimny for example the air cleaner assembly of Swift, Ciaz, Ertiga/XL6 etc are all made of PP-TD40 plastic where as in Jimny its PP-GF30 plastic, everyone knows 40 is higher than 30!
I was thinking that glass reinforced plastic (GF) is stronger than normal plastic, in that case Jimny's parts should be more expensive and stronger given the use case, some fellow is certain going to make it jump in the air.
Old 24th November 2023, 15:13   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I was thinking that glass reinforced plastic (GF) is stronger than normal plastic, in that case Jimny's parts should be more expensive and stronger given the use case, some fellow is certain going to make it jump in the air.
You are being too kind my dear sir. 40% talcum is stronger than 30% glass fiber because 40 is bigger number.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 22:09   #199
BHPian

No not that easy, you cannot swap gearbox so easily, for example Ciaz vs Jimny AT-

1) The bell housing are different slightly
2) Even if they were same, the gear ratios are different in each vehicle, unless you want to swap the cogs.

Yes - some components inside the gearbox could be recycled for another car, but not plug and play the whole thing.

Also, suzuki uses different ECU in different vehicles - Bosch/Continental/Denso etc, specially in K15C series, which is vastly different hardware - its not just about double injectors only, there are few other differentiation in the architecture.

India is the only country where people have issues with Jimny. Those who like it will buy it. No point complaining.
I dont often see Australians complaining that Jimny is a slow car despite having good roads and good driving manners.
I dont know what people in India want, a street racing car? Thats not how rest of the world drives cars. If you want to "race", "street presence", "macho" commonly used terms in desi media. etc etc then you are not even a target customer of Japanese manufacturer.

Last edited by aerohit : 27th November 2023 at 22:19.
aerohit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 06:59   #200
Senior - BHPian

We had taken a test drive of the Jimny about 1-2 months ago, the dealers didn’t really bother me for about 5-6 weeks, but for the last 2 weeks I have been getting calls every 2nd day from the dealer in spite of me clearly stating that i was not interested. It almost seems like the dealers are now desperate to show some numbers on the Jimny, cause i got a call once again yesterday from a senior person in the dealership and he mentioned that the Jimny is now “value for money” with the current offers. And I think the offer of something like Rs.1 lakh is now on both variants.

Just to put things in perspective, there is absolutely no discount on the Fronx and the Grand Vitara in spite of it being the year end.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 20:54   #201
BHPian

When I recently was in market for a capable and more fun less comfort vehicle I somehow couldn't connect with Jimny. Unless I was a hardcore offroader or loaded enough to have garage of 4-5 cars, I didn't find it cool enough despite my extreme liking of fuss free ownership of Maruti.
A convertible top Jimny with same price as Thar and I am 100% sure I would have gone for Jimny in a heart beat.

This over Thar anyday for me
Attached Thumbnails
Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales?-img20231002wa0061.jpg  

sandeeprawat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 01:42   #202
BHPian

I personally think MSIL has overpriced the Jimny. A sub 11 lakh rupee price tag would have been lot more sensible. Hope they re think the price tag and lengthen the rear seat sqwab too.
Phantom 510 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 13:04   #203
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

I hear all sorts of opinions about on how to bring down the Jimny price to less than 10 lakhs, even suggesting soft top and comparing with Thar numbers ( Thar has many variants and we should compare only petrol hard top thar to petrol jimny hard top numbers). Why we donot discuss on how to bring down Land Cruiser price to under 1 crore. In my personal opinion, the actual buyers donot care about the price if one is obsessed with the charm the vehicle brings.
Why am I not seeing owners commenting now that Maruti has discounted the Jimnys price by 1.5 lakhs?
Old 8th December 2023, 15:28   #204
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bik1906 View Post
Why am I not seeing owners commenting now that Maruti has discounted the Jimnys price by 1.5 lakhs?
Quote:
Just look at the year end discounts for Skoda as per today’s news paper. Why we don’t discuss on these discounts which all normal car companies give. Why so much noise on Jimny year end sale.This is marketing gimmick and we petrol heads are also falling for them.
Quote:
It is definitely a marketing strategy . Pls see the invoice I paid 3 months back compared to the year end offer. Not a big change.All car companies give similar discounts for year end stock clearance. I think it is made to be believed that bumper once in a life time offer is given.
Quote:
I personally feel that India has come a long way in the past one decade in automobiles. Now we are taking automatic transmission as default in India. In USA, the manual transmission percentage has come down to negligible now. It will not be long before India also will follow USA. I personally cannot imagine driving a manual transmission in 2023. Jimny being a lifestyle vehicle, there are some people who buy the manual transmission purposefully for what ever reasons like Porsche manual to enjoy the driving pleasure of a sports / 4X4 car.

May be there is a stock of manual transmission Jimnys which needs to be cleared and hence the offers. I am also wondering if any discounts are given for the top end version with dual color and automatic alpha edition also.

Jimny cannot be a mass produced car unless 2 wheel drive is done and Maruti may never take this route. I wish Maruti sells 1K vehicles per month for the next one decade and not take a decision to pull out of India market and concentrate on export market.

I personally would not take all the accessories given in this so called thunder edition even if they are given for free ( I still remember in 2008, Mahindra dealer India Garage gave me free bull bar worth 10K for top end Scorpio and I told NO to this free offer) .People are very choosy now a days in their likings of accessories. Most Jimny owners already sold the stock HT tyres for peanuts and bought costly AT tyres.
Quote:
I am glad that Maruti will never ever go the route of 2WD insulting the USP of Jimny for sheer number of sales. Most of Indians are impressed by the retro style cute Jimny and really need 2WD and are apparently been forced 4WD.

Recently in our 40 years reunion of our engineering college batch mates, lot of batch mates are surprised at my new Jimny and why this at post 60 years especially after me advising all to leave materialistic pursuits and proceed with spiritual pursuits after 60 years.

Many of my batch mates apparently think I am a petrol head and asked for my true honest opinion as they are seriously looking at buying Jimny after all discounts drama.

My advise to them all in Whatsup:

It is a life style vehicle and donot buy if your usage is less than 40% rural off road usage with 4WD and it should be either your 3 rd or 4 th car in your garage.

There is some confusion on Jimny highway driving manners. I drove the vehicle from Visakhapatnam to Bangalore and it is more comfortable than my Innova Crysta Z automatic in which I drove the same road of 1000 kms 4 months back.

My Jimny is top end automatic which costed 18.5 L on road in Vizag and I along with others think it is on higher side.

Jimny is a flop in India and it is a huge hit abroad competing with Mercedes Benz G wagon costing more than 1 crore in 4WD . May be Indians may never know its true potential.

I asked all to see the following you tube posting which has 10M views before buying:
https://Youtu.be/GE2W93FBdo8?feature=shared

There are too many threads on the Jimny. Your question has already been answered else where. The invoice I paid has also been shared. The price that has been reduced by Maruti is just 65 K for the top end model as year end sale. This is normal for year end discount to clear stocks.

Being petrol heads we should be one step ahead of the game in analysing the automobiles with unbiased view and not fall at the marketing gimmicks. With our experience we should guide people who are not very deep into automobiles much when they read our posts on internet.

The November 2023 sales are out and as predicted by me it’s 1000 numbers for Jimny. I wish it stays that way going forward.

My next prediction for Jimny in 2024 is that Maruti will increase the prices back again after year end stock clearance.

When I bought Scorpio top end VLX for 11 lakhs in 2008, people said I paid 2 lakhs more than it’s worth as it doesn't have air bags etc. When I bought top end Crysta Z diesel automatic for 32 lakhs in 2021, people said I paid 2 lakhs more as it has no sun roof. When I bought top end Jimny alpha automatic dual tone for 18.5 lakhs, people said I paid 2 lakhs more when compared to Thar.

One thing common in all 3 car purchases is that I was told I paid 2 lakhs more. I don't even think about it even once after payments are done. Just enjoy the car.

Last edited by Mystic : 8th December 2023 at 15:52.
Mystic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 05:40   #205
BHPian

If anyone didn't notice, Jimnys are being sold for over 3.25 lakh discount for Zeta along with a free thunder edition Kit and at least 2.5 lakh discount for Alpha along with the same kit as well.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5676132 (Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment | Sales tanking, 2-lakh rupee discounts official)
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 18:26   #206
BHPian

Maruti should not have developed the five door Jimmy, and the over optimistic pricing killed it.

My wishlist,

If Maruti would have launched the 3 door with the 1 Litre Booster jet with RWD and with optional 4wd, it would have struck the market like a thunder.

Reasons

1) It would have easily fit the under 4 meter small car bracket - so competitive pricing and it would not have completed with Thar directly, probably would have opened a new segment.

2) RWD would have maintained Maruti's holy grail (fuel efficiency) and 4 WD would have catered off road enthusiast.

3) I am not an off road enthusiast, but loves driving a proper RWD cars. Imagine a RWD SUV with 1 litre booster jet along with the 6 speed auto, under 12 lakhs, I would booked such a variant without any second thought
Old 10th December 2023, 00:49   #207

yes, Maruti has:

1. Made itself a laughingstock.
2. Cheated early adopters who feel shortchanged/embarrassed by the price-cut.

One of the biggest sales/marketing blunders in India inc's history.

Will someone from Maruti_Corp own up to this?
Skimonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 12:18   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimonk View Post
yes, Maruti has:

1. Made itself a laughingstock.
2. Cheated early adopters who feel shortchanged/embarrassed by the price-cut.

One of the biggest sales/marketing blunders in India inc's history.

Will someone from Maruti_Corp own up to this?
Asked the nexa showroom for the current pricing since I was window shopping to replace my brezza with a Grand Viatara...very clear that the total billable is 2 lakhs below current value.... other manufacturers are offering discounts but nothing close to this.....so the sales desperation is pretty obvious for all to see (apart from current Jimnys owners of course!!) By the way the discount on the Vitara is only 30k....
Attached Thumbnails
Is the Maruti Jimny's optimistic pricing dampening its sales?-img20231207wa0146.jpg  

Old 10th December 2023, 14:16   #209

Tata Motor's Nano was an honest marketing mistake.
It was borne with good intentions, and one feels bad for the company on that note. On the other hand, Maruti's botched up Jimny launch is less forgivable.

It seeps of greed, arrogance and little regard for maintaining a strong brand image.

Early Jimmy adopters who paid full price and showed faith in a new product now feel shortchanged/cheated.

Although I'm very happy with my Jimny, no one likes to take a hit of +2 lakhs.

Personally, I can ignore the fact that resale value has plummeted. I don't plan to sell it anyway.
Yet, I can see my peers now joking and pulling my leg for falling prey to Maruti's predatory tactic. Some even offer empathy. This is hardly the feeling I want with a new car purchase.

Specifically speaking about the car, it is a fantastic machine and well-engineered.

There are obvious compromises. Lackluster engine, outdated gearbox, basic audio and other small things where Maruti has cut corners.

One was happy to overlook those when buying it at inaugural prices. I'd hush people whispering in my ear about those shortcomings. I would argue that it perfectly meets my requirements.

With such steep discounts, those small deficiencies and whispers are now screams that I hear every time I get into my Jimny.

It has just soured a very pleasant experience so far. I have little faith in MSIL, for any type of reproach or incentive to existing buyers, as I now consider them to be a crooked company. For whom customers are mere fodder, for MSIL, they are a dime a dozen.

You can have a brilliant product, but the way you make your customers feel is equally important too.
Skimonk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 15:18   #210
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimonk View Post

You can have a brilliant product, but the way you make your customers feel is equally important too.
I don’t think that any Govt. Owned / Run entity will ever understand this concept of ‘making customers feel good.’

And I lament this fact.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks