Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2023, 17:55   #31
BHPian

Re: Sub-20 lakh cars that don't reek of cost-cutting

I see nobody gives i20 and 2022 Baleno a chance here. I owned a 2012 i20 Magna. It was way above its segment in terms of its design or the feature set. After many booking hiatuss with KIA, I booked 2022 Glanza on the day of its release and got it within 10 days. I always felt that was a decision destined for me. I never felt this car lacked anything at all. Build quality is way better than the previous generation model. Car is planted even at 130 KPH. Gets a good infotainment and Heads op display along with a 360-degree cam. And, the ever-lasting Maruti engine is very good in the city and also on the highway. While fit and finish may not be extravagant or class-leading, everything is good for its price. You don't feel let down by anything in the car.

My friend bought a 2022 i20 recently and that is very good too. In terms of fit and finish, Hyundai is always ahead of the competition. While the engine options have been squeezed, 1.2 Litre NA is still no slouch for City and Highway.

To me, these 2 cars are worth it and you don't see cost-cutting anywhere.
srkriz26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 18:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

I'd say in this generation of cars, definitely the 3OO. Minimum cost cutting, pretty solid built and simple ergonomics. The insulation is very surprising. I can live with a dated cabin maybe but not an unsafe car with good gizmos and features. I have not seen people mentioning anything about the City too. I guess, the overall quality remains pretty decent.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 18:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

If you give peanuts, you will get monkeys only. As simple as that. You get what you pay for. Car worth Rs 6 lakhs will have quality as per that price, we cannot say it is cost cutting.
aniketi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 19:32   #34

The Astor is one of the best in current times. Especially the 1.3 Turbo AT (slightly north of 20L) has nearly everything - Great interiors, Good Mechanics and full of Tech.
WolfBrother is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 22:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

In my view the Verna 2023 stands out. Between 17-21 lac you get almost the full scale of options in
1) performance
2) infotainment
3) safety
Only two things stand out otherwise : the lack of pax side door sensor and auto wiper. But you really get so much else , not to mention cabin and boot space.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 22:54   #36
BHPian

How about Kia Carens?

At least the top-spec variants do come with all bells and whistles.

May be I'm partial to Carens as I own Luxury P (D), but it has everything I desired: ventilated seats, auto IRVM, auto folding ORVM, 2nd row sliding seats, comfortable 3rd row, air purifier, comfortable and spacious (as compared to competition) 3rd row space, amazing AC, touch screen infotainment system (lack of Wireless AA is not an issue as it's buggy), sunroof (while not panoramic, it's good to have) and sweet diesel engine paired with smooth AT gear box.

One thing I would have loved is better plastic quality, especially on the outside.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th November 2023 at 09:54. Reason: Typos and punctuation.
ant_vas is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 4th November 2023, 06:49   #37
BHPian

Except for its front suspension, VW Polo was not a cheapened (Indianized) product. Although there aren’t any fancy gizmos, I love its well designed and well put together exteriors & interiors. I am yet to come across a hatchback car below 10L that will match Polo. All cars today feel cheaply made but expect us to pay a bomb!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th November 2023 at 09:51. Reason: Typos.
Comrade is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 08:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

I believe a lot of post are speaking about the features in a sub 20 L car. However, the question raised in the OP is pertinent to the quality than quantity. Cost cutting would mean that specific to India, if a brand has got a cheaper alternate or omission. Like how many cars sold in developed countries have advanced safety features and better build quality as standard however in India they are either omitted or given only in the top variant with an exorbitant price hike. Pre 2015, VWs - Polo & Vento to an extent could qualify in the list. Currently Astor is relatively well built with less compromises or cost cutting.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 4th November 2023 at 08:52.
VWAllstar is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 12:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I believe a lot of post are speaking about the features in a sub 20 L car. However, the question raised in the OP is pertinent to the quality than quantity.
Thank you for preventing this thread from veering off course!

To reiterate - the MG Astor, in the sub-20 lakh price range, stands out with its exceptional interiors, overall quality, and fit and finish. I vividly recall how Astor blew us away during our search for a new car in that price bracket when it was introduced in 2021. Had MG not goofed up with our booking, we would have got one. In my opinion, when compared to the likes of Creta, Seltos et al (excluding the VW/Skoda twins as they scream cost-cutting), and even cars a segment or two higher, the Astor remains a top choice.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 4th November 2023 at 12:13.
Col Mehta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 18:26   #40
BHPian

With the main limit being under 20 lacs, the Harrier MT and XUV700 diesel stand out. With a NCAP rating of 5 stars and still under 20 lacs for diesel and a 7 seater to boot in my book means no cost cutting. Mahindra and TATA have put in a lot of R&D into their cars and compared to the competition, the 7 seater segment is priced very aggressively and also engineered well. This means that you get more car per car with basic necessities like safety being a prerequisite rather than an option.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 09:09   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
The Astor seems to be a favourite on this thread. My experience was quite different. The car has no telescopic steering adjustment and none of the mirrors are auto dimming. This is the top trim I’m talking about. Glaring omissions; the way I see it.
These are glaring omissions but these features are missing even in international market. Compare the spec sheet, weight and other aspects to what they sell in UK and it seems not much has changed.
carscrazy22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 10:50   #42

A bit of owner's bias here: I drive a 2022 VW Polo GT Legend edition and a 2018 Ford Ecosport Titanium+ AT.

Stuff I see on the Polo which I don't see in even higher priced cars - UV cut glasses (green tinted) on all 4 windows, auto dimming IRVM, one touch up down windows on all 4 doors, illuminated buttons on the doors and rear wipers (Hyundai, I'm looking at you for the last two). Very helpful features for a 10L car. Wish it had auto closing ORVMs and auto headlamps and it would have been perfect.

The Ecosport is loaded to the gills and is reasonably good to drive with the TC AT gearbox. Ford has done a great job on this car and except for NVH inside the cabin at higher speeds, I don't find anything to complain for a 13 odd L car which runs without any rattles and squeaks (touch wood).
Legender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 10:57   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
How about Kia Carens?
sweet diesel engine paired with smooth AT gear box.
A direct competitor, the MG Hector seems to match the Carens for everything. It has better plastics on the outside too but misses on a Diesel AT option
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 16:08   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I would add the Mahindra Thar. When it was launched the LX top end was 13.75 lakhs ex-showroom (now 16.93 lakhs) for my Diesel AT with Hard top. Sure, there are some cheap bits here and there but overall, the interior is a pleasant place to be in and everything is rugged and hard-wearing. I have not heard a single rattle in all these 2.5 years, the whole car is very solidly put together. Yes some bits are missing compared to mainstream cars like leather wrapped steering or push button start, but in a hard core off-roader which can also be a daily driver, these are not much missed. The seat fabric is good to look at, the plastics are hard but not cheap and scratchy and doors have a solidity that is reassuring. The hardtop is robust and leak proof and the switchgear is tactile and solid. One of the 4 AC vents is the only thing that has broken and I got it replaced with a Benz-style ones aftermarket that also come with ambient lighting.
Very true, 25k km in 1.5 years of rough usage, I just find Thar's interior and build very robust, strong feeling, and not at all cheap/ill-fitting feeling. Thar has not a single rattle even though mine has a softop and I use it in an extremely rough manner with a couple of offroad drives every 2-3 months. My other car is a fluidic Elantra whose interior feels almost showroom new after 11 years and 100,000 kms! Its quality is extremely good but somehow Thar feels more robust in the interior than Elantra (maybe due to interior material selections) as Elantra is having soft dash and metal-looking buttons compared to Thar's which has everything strong and solid on the inside.
Old 10th December 2023, 11:04   #45
BHPian

Only 10 years ago the mini SUV segment was gathering strength. Renault Duster and Ford Ecosport were the only contenders. I checked out Duster and was surprised to see the thin sheet metal, flimsy doors, no bottle holders in doors, for a macho looking car. The engine lid was misleading because of the shock absorbers attached, otherwise it’s a good indicator of how heavy metal is used.
In same day I went to Ford showroom, first impressions to open the door and shut. A solid Thud. The decision was made there itself. Ecosport was heavier than Duster with a strong frame, the A pillar visibility gets hampered for new driver but safety is not compromised.

It’s an atrocious that 10 years ago one could get a strong even low variant car inside 10 lakhs. Now there are almost no options inside 15 lakhs.

Out regulations are responsible for this we can never have a smart mini car with all security features and solid body. Where as USA the rules are irrespective of the size of the car.
A recent video of a car doing multiple flips in a USA highway was a low segment car. The occupants came out un scratched.

We take pride in saving in Maruti cars, boasting that these are good enough. But it takes 1/2 second to lose life, and the car will decide if it’s going to take the occupants life or take the impact.

Better go with bolero or Innova lower models if it fits the budget. Frame will be stronger than a polished looking Ciaz.

Of course it’s personal choice.
If you are okay with second ownership then go for 2019 Ecosport. A solid car and in budget.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks