Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2023, 10:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki to debut Z-Series engine on the 4th-gen Swift

Suzuki recently showcased the fourth-generation Swift concept at the Tokyo Motor Show. As per a new report, it would be the first model to get Suzuki’s Z-Series engine.

Suzuki to debut Z-Series engine on the 4th-gen Swift-f9pzlcsbkaavxqh.jpg

The new Suzuki Z-Series engine (codenamed: Z12) is said to be a naturally aspirated 1.2-litre 3-cylinder unit. It will replace the current 4-cylinder K-Series engine.

The report states that the new Z-Series engine will be more fuel-efficient while maintaining the power output of the K12 unit. Peak torque, on the other hand, is said to be slightly higher, with better low-end grunt, making it ideal for city usage.

Being a 3-cylinder, the engine’s overall weight will also be lower than the K12 unit. Overall emissions are also expected to reduce, allowing Suzuki to achieve its CAFÉ targets. The Z-Series will be paired with hybrid tech in the international market.

Suzuki’s Z-Series engine is expected to debut in 2024. It could also be offered in other models like the Baleno, Fronx, Ignis and Eeco in the future.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 15:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Suzuki to debut Z-Series engine on the 4th-gen Swift

The design looks dated already, especially the interiors. I was expecting them to announce a swift hybrid or something considering their partnership with Toyota. All that said and done I believe the 3 cylinder unit will be way more refined than the others in the market.
puntra800 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 16:55   #3
BANNED

I don't know what it will take Maruti to change those window switches! It's been there for more than a decade. Maybe those are very good to use as I haven't got a chance to use those. Even the multi media unit looks out of place, don't think it's big deal to get a sleek one.
The Rationalist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 17:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I don't know what it will take Maruti to change those window switches! It's been there for more than a decade. Maybe those are very good to use as I haven't got a chance to use those. Even the multi media unit looks out of place, don't think it's big deal to get a sleek one.
I think the power window switches must be the most re-used part in the Maruti parts bin.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 17:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

The K12 was a fantastic motor, especially in the initial avatars - and continues to be very good even with the modern emission stronghold.

I doubt this new 1.2 Z Series 3-pot will be just as much fun - mostly will have a more practical, efficient and driveable nature as the 3 cylinders are known for! Competition went to 3 pot turbos whereas Suzuki is talking of 3 pot NA.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 21:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Utterly disappointed. This seems like an incremental ‘change’ (not necessarily ‘upgrade’) at best.

I believe they needed to have next gen Swift in only turbo petrol, and hybrid guises (maybe EV too). The turbo solves for performance, while hybrid for efficiency. And needed swanky interiors - not same-same!

As big as Suzuki is making this new Z12 engine sound, it’s a basic 3 pot mill with same power as the current K12. Swift was my first car and was game changer back in its day. Now it’s an also-ran. Despite owning other more premium cars since, Swift retains a special place in my heart. Heart-broken!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 26th October 2023 at 21:44.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 22:33   #7
BHPian

The Z engine is the last IC engine series that Suzuki has developed and is purely aimed at Fuel efficiency with low emissions. So, no one should assume performance out of the same. Interestingly, the engine is not aimed at Europe, it seems.

Also, increasingly positioning of Swift has changed since it's introduction in the market. It is no longer a premium hatchback and has lost its status to the Baleno and the Fronx.So, the specs and features have also suffered commensurately.

The looks are it's main draw, even today after 4 generations of incremental updates. Of course, the safety would increase in its new avatar and will likely be equipped with 6 airbags across all variants. I don't think there is much to expect beyond this.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 09:48   #8
BHPian

If 3 cylinder NA instead of turbo is a valid news then this is a clear downgrade of Swift .
steadfast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 11:33   #9
BHPian

I’ve been using a 2016 MS Baleno Alpha petrol manual as my daily driver and it’s still going strong at 1,53,000 KMs and counting.

With all the competition selling 3 pot motors only under 10 lakhs, the only USP IMHO Maruti had was a smooth, refined, fast 4 pot motor.

There are no perfect cars but it’s most true for anything less than 15 lakhs in today’s market. Either you compromise on built quality, or you compromise on engine specifications and especially if you want an automatic you compromise and get a faux automatic i.e. the AMT and if you want CVT/TC then you compromise on everything else and buy a car just for it’s transmission (looking at you Nissan Magnite). It’s a tough time for people buying a car on a tight budget.

Now MS is going for a 3-pot engine as well. Here dies the name Swift and any distant correlation with being quick/fun to drive. Though I’m sure it will sell. MS can sell anything. Case in point, S-Presso.
Himanshu809 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 11:35   #10
BHPian

It looks so weird to me in the pics. Why does it look like the clay model of the car was made out of cheese and given a few seconds in the microwave before finalising? I hope it looks better in real life.

The Celerio too looked fugly in pics but looks cute and smart when you see it in 3D, especially the top end.
shimoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 12:37   #11
BHPian

Not many changes to the new Gen from the pic – But I still love the current gen design and I don’t see a reason why they should change it. I don’t know about the interiors which I always preferred a change in the fit/ finish and materials.

I hope there is some improvement apart from the engine front to the handling / suspension etc. The old swifts handling with the new gen design would be a super combo.

Not to mention its poor ratings – which I hope sees an improvement too. Not expecting a 5* but a 3-4* would do wonders to the buyers.
I will always have a bias to Swift though I never owned one. Lets hope this gen is good so I can lay my hands on it!
Sabrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 17:24   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

It is all about efficiency of the new engine. Figures of 30 - 35km/ l are being spoken of.

Suzuki to debut Z-Series engine on the 4th-gen Swift-screenshot-20231027-172241.png

Quote:
We received information that the engine was newly developed, but details were not revealed. However, since it is stated as 27.1km/L from the image distributed in advance, fuel efficiency is expected to be significantly improved compared to the current level.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 19:08   #13
BHPian

They should add a Swift Sport variant like in the UK, could be fun. A turbocharged engine should also be added into the lineup with around 110-130 PS. But I really like the design of the new Swift! Hope they don't ruin the look of the base variants with halogen headlamps.
Old 27th October 2023, 19:17   #14
BHPian

This seems like Suzuki is taking the incremental update route and possibly allocating investments to electric vehicles

But I will definitely look forward small hybrid engines from Suzuki
Old 27th October 2023, 22:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

While I am sure Suzuki will claim better power/torque/FE for the Z series compared to K series, the refinement of a 4 pot will surely be missed. While FE has always been USP for Swift, many customers bought it for the fun to drive nature, looks and refined 4 pot motor. Hopefully Suzuki has done some work on improving the safety and atleast top variants get 6 airbag and host of other safety features.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks