Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2023, 11:05   #1
BHPian

Rohit Sharma caught speeding on Mumbai-Pune Expressway in his Lamborghini

I don't know what Rohit Sharma was thinking .

According to Pune Mirror, Rohit, who was on his way to Pune to join the rest of the Indian cricketers ahead of the Bangladesh match in World Cup 2023, was issued three online traffic challans for speeding. The report claimed that Rohit was driving at exceedingly high speeds of 200 km/h and his vehicle - a Lamborghini - even touched speeds of 215 km/h .

This type of behavior is simply unacceptable. Just imagine the worst case scenario. Rishabh Pant's accident happened not long ago.

Last edited by baarish84 : 19th October 2023 at 11:12.
baarish84 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 11:13   #2
BHPian

re: Rohit Sharma caught speeding on Mumbai-Pune Expressway in his Lamborghini

You see, it was the driver driving. He wanted to make sure Rohit baba reaches on time.

I am sure nothing will happen, fine will be paid online and no further action.

Whereas, License should be suspended for 6 months, Driver should be fined, and charged with Rash and negligent driving.
Y@SH is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 11:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

What is unacceptable in this?

Was Rohit Sharma overspeeding? YES
Was he let go because he is a celebrity? NO
Was he fined for his mistake? YES

Just like you, me and others, he was driving a car and while at it, going too fast. Let law take it course instead of moral policing.
ashis89 is offline   (118) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 11:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Just like you, me and others, he was driving a car and while at it, going too fast. Let law take it course instead of moral policing.
I respect your viewpoint, but you, me, and others do not have a huge fan following, but he does. This type of act sets a bad precedent in the era of social media, when individuals are willing to do anything and everything that their idols have done.
GhostGrid is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 11:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:

Was Rohit Sharma overspeeding? YES
Was he let go because he is a celebrity? NO
Was he fined for his mistake? YES

Your reasoning is seriously flawed mate.

few points:

Yes the law is taking it's own course, but the law needs to be stricter in the first place. This is a deliberate violation by a good margin with owner ready to pay for consequences.

By your logic there is nothing to be concerned about if every millionaire billionaire just breaks the rule and pays the fine.

Forget about the law, role models such as him should set an example - he did but a bad one at that.

The more educated and more influential one is in society, the more responsibly they need to behave.

I remember reading a billionaire in Nordic being fined 100,000 or some huge some for jumping a traffic light.

I know there will be challenges in India to link this to one's wealth but can definitely be linked to the category of car.

Monetary fine for a Lambo owner certainly needs to be multiple times than for an owner of a humble Alto.

And lastly, this is not moral policing as we see for dressing and other behavior in public. This is a matter of putting others' lives at risk.
Rodie09 is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 11:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Respectfully would like to point out that I do not think any section of Mumbai Pune can be safely driven at 215 KMPh. He could have killed himself or worse an innocent family.

Driving at more than 100% over the speed limit is unacceptable.

Team-BHP is a mature forum, but have a look at the car forums on Reddit or Automotive pages of Instagram - they are thronged by young crowd.

What message these young people are getting? If you are rich, you can go as fast as you can, everybody else is damned?
baarish84 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 12:05   #7
BHPian

This is absolutely unacceptable. Such impunity is frankly very appalling!

Also, not a single inch of the current Mumbai-Pune Expressway is viable for speeding at an insane speed of 200 kmph!

How come the cops stationed at the toll plazas did nothing to detain the vehicle? Have seen common people being stopped for speeding just a few kmph over the speed limit.
IamNikhil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 13:04   #8
BHPian

First of all such speeding is unacceptable, whoever is at the steering.

Secondly, why did he have to travel alone. Initially, he was to take a Pawan Hans helicopter, as per reports.

Is there no SOP, especially when world tournaments are at play ? As a coach, this is something for Rahul Dravid (and BCCI) to think about.
Capri89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 13:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I am surprised that the captain of the Indian Cricket team was allowed to travel privately in his own vehicle in the midst of a marquee tournament like the world cup.

I assume he may have travelled for some urgent personal need that came up, if so, there should have been some protocols for his travels. If there was no reason, maybe I am out of touch with how things happen today, but at least in the past during the course of such a tournament the team always sticks together and travel and practice together.
Rajeevraj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 13:59   #10
BHPian

It must be that people lecturing Rohit Sharma, have been following all the laws of land all the time. That gives them the moral upper hand to immediately jump the gun.

Let the law take it's course. There is no need to Preach anyone. (by the way, intended audience is peacefully oblivious and royally ignores such conversation)

The wish to differentiate the law (or fine) based on the ability of an individual to pay, (more so because some European state has done it), well, good luck with it.
Such differentiation (or discrimination) will conflict with certain fundamental rights in Indian constitution i.e. right to equality irrespective of creed, cast, status.

Practically wondering, what else is expect from rich millionaire/ billionaire buying the most powerful cars in the world, that they drive at sedate 80kmph on expressway?
If this is expected, then why the outrage?

Let police take action. If such drivers are endangering lives of other highway users, file appropriate cases and let them face the legal pain.
Acharya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 14:18   #11
GTE
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

While I think some of the speed limits have been set by a severely intellectually challenged creature, there should be graded punishment 10% over the limit x amount of fine 30%over y amount of fine 50% and above a small jail term because that is callousness. If it is a parasite punishment should be tripled.
GTE is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 14:23   #12
BANNED

Just out of curiosity:

Is it allowed for a team member (or a captain) to travel in personal vehicle when he is on a official tournament?
UD17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 14:29   #13
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I am surprised that the captain of the Indian Cricket team was allowed to travel privately in his own vehicle in the midst of a marquee tournament like the world cup. I assume he may have travelled for some urgent personal need that came up,
I assume BCCI themselves must have granted him permission to travel to his Mumbai home. There are Mumbai-Pune flights available now, ideally Board should have made arrangements for him notwithstanding the short 3hr drive to Pune. About 7-8 players returned from Asia Cup,Colombo by a charter flight recently, not sure who arranged it but surely BCCI could have done better here in this situation considering its the WC.
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 15:25   #14
BANNED

Can’t believe that such an important player was allowed to take the car! This filthy rich cricket board can easily have their own aircraft or at least a helicopter to transfer players. Unprofessional to the core.

I don’t have the moral authority to criticise his driving above speed limits as I have been fined few times for overspeeding. Whether you drive at 101 km/hr or 200 km/hr technically the offence is same, the probability of fatality may be higher for the latter, that’s it.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 15:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Why is it that if a person is famous, he is morally obligated to behave in a certain way? He is a human. He plays cricket well. That gets him his place in the team. NOT HIS FAN FOLLOWING!
He is is normal human being. If I had a lambo, I would have sought ways to try out its high acceleration and speed too. Heck all the moral police here would!
That being said, It is wrong. He is fined for that. Simple. I think this thread should be closed as it does not require any further discussions.
A human being sped his car above permissible laws. Was punished. Over!

His being famous or not should be inconsequential!
navpreet318 is online now   (24) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks