Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2023, 06:50   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Transferring an NCR-registered Volvo XC60 diesel to another state. EDIT: Sold to used car dealer!

Folks May I request the advice of the experts on our forum on my situation described below regarding my NCR (Gurgaon, Haryana) registered diesel powered Volvo XC60 that completes 10 years in 2024.

As we all know in Delhi NCR a diesel powered vehicle cannot operate after 10 years. The Volvo XC60 is in jolly good shape and easily has another 10 years of life in it. My plan is to shift it to Raipur as a gift to an NGO operating there that I am very closely associated with and the NGO can then use it for its own activities till the end of life of the car.

I am having difficulty finding a competent RTO agent who can organize the transfer of the vehicle to the NGO & Raipur. So the question is, given the hassle of transfer across States, do I need to transfer the vehicle to the NGO's name at all. What if I hand it over to the NGO but let it stay in my name. Given my association I'm not too worried about the accident/traffic violation challan piece. My concern is does the Haryana RTO make registrations void on diesel cars over 10-years old and go looking for them? Is there an RTO problem if I just let the car run in my name in Chhattisgarh for several years with the current Haryana registration?
V.Narayan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 07:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Transferring an NCR-registered Volvo XC60 diesel to another state. EDIT: Sold to used car dealer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
My plan is to shift it to Raipur as a gift to an NGO operating there that I am very closely associated with and the NGO can then use it for its own activities till the end of life of the car.
HR26 or similar NCR RTOs like HR29 may not issue NOC after 10 Years. So, it's best to get an NOC done now for any other RTO where you may have an address within Haryana. In case you want to gift to an NGO, you can get NOC done directly in their name.

I am not sure about the RTO registration charges in Raipur, as some states do charge re-registration fees. If you have an address in Haryana (outside NCR RTO's) easiest will be to get the car transferred in your name at that address and let the NGO run the car without transfer.

Quote:
My concern is does the Haryana RTO make registrations void on diesel cars over 10-years old and go looking for them?
They will not go looking, but chances are they may blacklist such cars in the Vahan portal, and you may have difficulty in getting Pollution checks or any claims in Insurance.

Quote:
Is there an RTO problem if I just let the car run in my name in Chhattisgarh for several years with the current Haryana registration?
Usually not, especially when being run by an NGO. No one will be bothered, but I will be concerned for the reasons mentioned above.

On an entirely different note, though, I like your intentions of transferring Volvo to NGO; please do factor in the costs associated with repairs of Volvo, especially when driven in remote areas by drivers, will be far more than your own use.

What I will suggest is to find a suitable buyer for your car, sell and use those proceeds to buy something more apt for NGO works like an Innova.

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th September 2023 at 11:46. Reason: minor edit.
Turbanator is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 09:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Transferring an NCR-registered Volvo XC60 diesel to another state. EDIT: Sold to used car dealer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
HR26 or similar NCR RTOs like HR29 may not issue NOC after 10 Years. So, it's best to get an NOC done now for any other RTO where you may have an address within Haryana. In case you want to gift to an NGO, you can get NOC done directly in their name.
May not or will not? If its not a DL plated car, still an issue?

And which other RTO within Haryana would be recommended? Please do guide as I am in a similar process!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 10:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
May not or will not? If its not a DL plated car, still an issue?
For Delhi, it's 100% applicable, i.e No NOC after 10 Years. For other NCR RTOs in the state of Haryana/ UP, it's getting tough. They may or may not as per my known, so that's something I will not suggest. They may not have stopped today, but I will not take risks beyond 10 Years,

Quote:
And which other RTO within Haryana would be recommended? Please do guide as I am in a similar process!
Any RTO beyond NCR limits like Panipat, Rohtak, etc.

Usually, agents get this done at 5-10 K- getting NOC and registration at newer RTO.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 10:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

They will not go looking, but chances are they may blacklist such cars in the Vahan portal, and you may have difficulty in getting Pollution checks or any claims in Insurance.

They may not go looking, but they will deregister it on vaahan. You'll be able to get puc, insurance, etc, but when you're caught, none of it will be valid.

I don't know why Narayan sir is unable to get any rto agent.

However, if you go through vaahan portal, it's a fairly long, but easy process to get the transfer. Last I checked, they need aadhaar/identity and other details of the buyer. If the buyer doesn't fall in the damned regions, they issue the noc for under 10 year old cars.

I'll point you out to the entire process here later.
mayankk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 10:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the question is, given the hassle of transfer across States, do I need to transfer the vehicle to the NGO's name at all. What if I hand it over to the NGO but let it stay in my name
You can initiate the online transfer of the vehicle ownership on the Parivahan website and hand over the relevant forms to the NGO for transferring the car to their RTO jurisdiction. I wouldn't suggest to keep the car still in your name for various reasons - local cops enquiry for out of state cars, any liability related to car (maintenance, insurance policy etc) or any TPL claims against the car since the car would still be in your name. I hope the location where the car is intended to be shifted can service a Volvo car or else the NGO might face issues with the same.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 10:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Given my association I'm not too worried about the accident/traffic violation challan piece. My concern is does the Haryana RTO make registrations void on diesel cars over 10-years old and go looking for them? Is there an RTO problem if I just let the car run in my name in Chhattisgarh for several years with the current Haryana registration?
God forbid the car is in an accident in future which leads to someone's death, you will be penalized not only for the accident but also for using a car with invalid registration, no insurance and PUC. That is a huge offence. Humble request to see this process through, so that the RC renewal, insurance etc. for the car can continue smoothly in future in Chhattisgarh.
boniver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 11:14   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For Delhi, it's 100% applicable, i.e No NOC after 10 Years. For other NCR RTOs in the state of Haryana/ UP, it's getting tough. They may or may not as per my known, so that's something I will not suggest. They may not have stopped today, but I will not take risks beyond 10 Years,

Any RTO beyond NCR limits like Panipat, Rohtak, etc.

Usually, agents get this done at 5-10 K- getting NOC and registration at newer RTO.
A recent notification I received from another Bhpian attached.

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...923606218.html

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...235568976.html

Just spoke to my agent. He says that even rohtak and panipat come under the NCR bracket. He says upto 200 km radius which means even Karnal is included. I think we will need to go beyond these to escape the clutches of the NGT dragon.

But he threw a spanner saying I will need to show an original Aadhar proof (is that address?... I don't buy this, an address proof is usually a rental agreement isn't it, and an aadhar card copy is already provided for in the owners name). So either he cannot get it done or is just plain lazy which means I have to find someone else. Would you be able to recommend someone sir? Much gratitude. I am still in the vicinity.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 11:38   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I will need to show an original Aadhar proof (is that address?... I don't buy this, an address proof is usually a rental agreement isn't it, and an aadhar card copy is already provided for in the owners name).
He might be correct and these rules will be mostly fixed by the concerned RTO. Usually registered rental deeds are acceptable also.

Quote:
I have to find someone else. Would you be able to recommend someone
But why don't you process the NOC for your home state? Is your car currently registered in Delhi or Haryana? Most places will charge re-registration fees except the home state. If your car is registered in Delhi, there is no way to save. For Haryana, in case the limits are currently 200 Km, then you may have to look at places like Ambala, Yamunanagar or Hissar. Sorry, but no leads on agent except Chandigarh but it will be super tough to get an address plus the RTO charges.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 11:41   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
HR26 or similar NCR RTOs like HR29 may not issue NOC after 10 Years. So, it's best to get an NOC done now
What I will suggest is to find a suitable buyer for your car, sell and use those proceeds to buy something more apt for NGO works like an Innova.
Agree with Turbanator on both counts.

It is best that you avoid a last minute change in registration, especially since this policy itself is very haphazard and you can't trust them to be consistent year-on-year with the specifics.

The ideal option is to sell the Volvo this year. You get a good price, don't have to worry about state and ownership transfer, and don't put an overhead on the NGO (/yourself) of the Volvo's maintenance. [You can be reasonably sure the next 10 years of ownership won't be as rosy as the first 9 have been, isn't it].

You know this best, but the XC60 might not be an ideal candidate for the NGO? A slightly more versatile (space, seating configurations), abuse-friendly and locally fixable might be more convenient.

In fact, someone from NCR letting go of their 9/10 year old Innova might be a good idea, in case you want to be frugal with this expense.

Lastly, I understand this suggestion throws your planning out of the window. We're not sorry
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 14:42   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Sir, best to get the NOC -and- transfer to recepient. Saves lot of hassle down the road, including the no-NOC-after-10-yrs. With out the NOC and transfer before the 10 year mark, the car is as good as legally-scrap. Also, if this transfer is not done now, the car wont get a FC renewal at the 15 year mark in the new place.

If you are not getting an agent, suggest to take a one year membership of Automobile Association and get the NOC through them. The annual fees would cost about the same as the agent charges. I could also check for an agent thru an old team-mate who is based in DL.

Last edited by condor : 29th September 2023 at 15:11.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 13:21   #12
BHPian

I am in a similar situation just as Mr. Narayan. My 2009 petrol Honda Accord ends its life as per the dreaded 15 year rule in May 2024. The car is Delhi registered, and is in impeccable condition. I have been touch with a independent service center supervisor who stated to me that getting an NOC would get difficult as I apporach May 2024. He is asking me to keep a interval of 3-6 months prior to the car elapses it 15 year date to approach RTO for an NOC, and that too if you have a willing buyer somewhere in Gorokhpur , UP. I live in Noida. Unfortunately, due to my bad finiancial condition , I am not in a condition to buy a car let alone a used one. I wish to keep this car, but that is looking like a distant dream and the prospect of selling it is a second option.
Old 30th September 2023, 13:46   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
Unfortunately, due to my bad finiancial condition , I am not in a condition to buy a car let alone a used one. I wish to keep this car, but that is looking like a distant dream and the prospect of selling it is a second option.
I am sure this unnecessary rule is affecting many people in your situation, much like the pain and anguish you are undergoing now. A car is no longer a luxury but a necessity in a country where roads, public transportation, and social security is non existent.

Your situation will only get better from hereon. Keep your chin up until then my friend.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 14:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, NCR diesel registrations become void after the 10 year mark. This means you cannot renew insurance etc nor can you legally drive it anywhere in India since the registration is considered invalid. It is best to get NOC and then re-register it in any other state.
Cresterk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 17:17   #15
BHPian

Get the NOC and re-register the car to the new owner or entity. There is no escaping it in this case.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks