Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2023, 17:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol Pump scams

This happened twice in Tirupati (different fuel stations). As I approach the dispenser, the attendant asks me to park at a right angle to the dispenser, such that I cannot see the meter from the car.

The first time, I stepped out and watched the meter standing in front of the dispenser and ensured that they filled and billed as per my quoted quantity.
The second time, I did not stop the car, but just drove out of the fuel station.
adisan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 17:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
I just have one question, I always thought since it is online transaction how would the attendants skim the extra amount. But as per the record it is charged 3069 but card swipe was 3569. At point do they interfere during this process, I thought online transactions would directly go to the account.
Excuse that card amount was entered wrongly and excess charge was given back to customer as cash.
HappyWheels is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 09:54   #18
Team-BHP Support

re: Petrol Pump | Rs. 500 & full tank scam & how to avoid

Petrol Pumps | Full tank scam and how to avoid - Posts moved to a new thread.

Last edited by Omkar : 18th September 2023 at 09:58.
Omkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 10:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol Pumps | Full tank scam and how to avoid

99.9% of the time I have always filled up from my regular trusted pump. If you are fueling up at a unfamiliar petrol pump best is to get out of the car and stand next to the fuel cap area and make sure you are not cheated in anyway. If you continue to be seated in the car it becomes easier for the attendants to implement their racket. Usually one goes to unfamiliar fuel pumps on long drives etc so it is best to get of the car anyway for a short break from the drive as you fuel up.

If you are in the city and are away from your trusted fuel pump and need fuel do not go for a full tank, add just 400 to 500 bucks worth of fuel enough to reach your home or trusted fuel pump. When I got my new Swift delivered I did not do a full tank at the nearest fuel station but filled 500 bucks of fuel and drove straight to my trusted pump for a full tank.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 11:07   #20

If they pretend not to have heard you properly and stopped at 500 or 200. Just say thank you, pay the bill and get another refill at another pump. Saves you time arguing. Keeps your sanity intact. Plus, you feel good to having one-upped the guy.
AheadAJ is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 21:37   #21
BHPian

I only use an IOCL petrol pump run by Shanthi Social Service famously called SSS Bunk in Coimbatore. Upon entry to the bunk, an attendant will guide you to the correct free pump or a less crowded one. They announce zero before fuelling and it is a network-connected bunk. So, the scope for error is less. And they provide proper bills with vehicle number and date and time. As a policy, the attendants in charge of filling air/nitrogen don't take money as tips. They refuse even if you try to give them. All these are signs of good management and training for employees. They are located at two locations in Coimbatore.

Location 1: https://maps.app.goo.gl/hFpPUeP9xEsDoXRe7
Location 2: https://maps.app.goo.gl/RBpDjSYF4mB7uQDeA
true_sedan is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 09:21   #22
BHPian

What I do every time to avoid this situation is -

1. Shut down the engine of the car.

2. Walk around to the fuel attendant.

3. Tell him/her the fuel that needs to be filled in - petrol or diesel.

4. Tell him/her the exact amount or volume that needs to be filled in.

5. Confirm Step 4 again with the attendant as he/she inserts the fuel dispenser nozzle into the fuel tank, and confirm that the meter has been reset to zero.

6. Wait until the fuel has been topped up to my satisfaction.

7. Make the payment.

Last edited by anshu1101 : 19th September 2023 at 09:22. Reason: Typo
anshu1101 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 09:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
"No sir, I heard full tank sir, you said full tank sir". I said nope 500 only
Similar thing happened to me, I just gave the money for whatever they had filled for and left immediately, they can't do anything if we do this
giri1.8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 09:51   #24
BHPian

I have been scammed in a COCO Bunk in Velachery, Chennai couple of years back. That too while filling for my bike .

Same tactic, deviating me saying your tank is having dust, which will create problems for your bike and scammed me Rs 50.

Inspite of it being a COCO bunk and being in proper location, stopped using it.
Old 19th September 2023, 10:50   #25
BHPian

Everyone has their own ways/tactics of dealing with this situation.
I have been using the closed loop communication method.
Stop the car, get out, stand next to him and tell him tank full.
Then before he starts I ask him, kitna ( how much) ? Only when he responds tank full, I let him proceed.
It’s a simple strategy but has worked every time. Once the filling starts I take out my card and literally tell him to leave the filling nozzle and get the card machine.
Instead of he distracting me, I distract him.
Old_Salt is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 11:06   #26
BHPian

I was scammed once in 2018 for 200 Rs in this manner. It was two months upon returning to India after being a NRI for 10 years. I said full tank but they stopped at 200.00. I didn't know the exact modus operandi at that time, and naively asked them to continue filling. In the end, it lead to an argument for that 200 rupees (reset-n-fill vs continue filling) . I chose to just pay up their claimed amount and leave. When I told my friends about this, they just laughed at me and said this is prevalant at every pump.

Next time this happened (at a different pump) for 500.00, I asked the attendant to stop & remove the dispenser, and paid up 500.00 rupees. However, I did not leave silently but gave some gyaan (How long will you scam with same old trick. Dont you have any conscience or ethics. Don't think customers will still fall for old tricks etc etc).

Now a days, I make sure to stand near the attendant and keep watching the pump always. If they stop in any doubtful manner, I just pay up the pump amount and leave.

Last edited by Comrade : 19th September 2023 at 11:08.
Comrade is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 11:14   #27
BHPian

In India Oil pumps, during billing, you can provide your mobile number and they give some reward points which you can later redeem. Once you do that, immediately after billing, an sms will come with the amount of fuel you have filled from India Oil. It is a kind of proof using which you can argue and fight your case.

So, in case your fuel tank is smaller than the amount filled, you can fight with the sms. You can also go ahead and complain to higher authorities. Now a days there are so many cctv cameras and I am sure such malpractice can be caught if someone investigates. The sms gives you the proof of the same.
autobahnjpr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 11:51   #28
BHPian

One of the BPCL bunk tried this trick on me. I asked for full tank and he stopped at 500. When he asked me is that fine, i replied “Yes thats what i asked for” 😊
I could see his disappointment!

I moved on to another bunk to do the full tank!
kmsithan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 11:58   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I always get out of the car and stand next to the meter. I always look straight at the meter. And I always fill a full tank to auto cut off. And I always say "full tank card" as an auto response to any question asked. I have found people coming and asking me about the bike or other such nonsense and I tell them to wait until my transaction is complete.

A stern voice with authority helps, which I make plenty use of.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 12:15   #30
BHPian

My question may be naive, so please excuse me. But if you know the tank capacity, why can’t you say 30 litres or 35 litres instead of doing a full tank? Then this question will not arise. Or Rs 3000?
Neomobile is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks