Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2023, 17:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October

Nissan is likely to introduce an automated manual transmission (AMT) in the Magnite. It is said that AMT variants of the Magnite could be launched in October.

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-1-32.jpg

The Nissan Magnite is currently available with two engine options. These include a 1.0-litre petrol engine producing 71 BHP and 96 Nm and a 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine that makes 99 BHP and 160 Nm. While the former gets a 5-speed manual transmission, the turbo-petrol engine is paired with a CVT.

The new 5-speed AMT will bridge the gap between the manual and CVT variants. Reports suggest that the new gearbox will be paired with the 1.0-litre naturally aspirated engine.

The Nissan Magnite comes in four variants: XE, XL, XV Executive and XV. It is said that the higher variants could get the AMT option.

Source: Zigwheels

Link to Team-BHP News

Mod Note: Our Nissan Magnite AMT Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Omkar : 9th October 2023 at 12:06.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 18:52   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October

They shouldn't lose their USP. The Magnite's CVT stands out among its competitors jerky AMTs. By also offering an AMT (which I have no hopes of them tuning well), they are giving in to short term gain & long-term pain.

Play your strengths. Don't indulge in competitor weaknesses.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 19:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They shouldn't lose their USP. The Magnite's CVT stands out among its competitors jerky AMTs. By also offering an AMT (which I have no hopes of them tuning well), they are giving in to short term gain & long-term pain.

Play your strengths. Don't indulge in competitor weaknesses.
I don't think they are going to give up the CVT. The AMT will fill the gap between the MT and the CVT variants, as currently there is no AT with 1.0 NA.

The CVT as of today comes only with the 1.0 Turbo.

Honestly I don't blame Nissan. They see the oppurtunity of the rising demand for budget automatics. To keep the costs in check, they are taking the same route as other manufacturers are (case in point, TATA/Hyundai/Maruti etc), by offering AMT in entry level/mid variants and conventional AT/DCT/CVT in top variants.
DCEite is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 19:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll be (pleasantly) shocked if they retain the CVT and AMT variants both. Quite sure they'll eventually drop the CVT. Because if they don't - they'll have to keep a low ceiling for the price of the AMT variants, to justify the CVT premium. The greedy bean counters won't take that for too long, and will want the same % margin on the AMT or more. And dispatching the CVT out - will be the obvious step to achieve that.

Sad realities of our market. If indeed they dump the CVT and continue with AMT - I actually hope the customers never buy it - and the model completely flops. At least as a symbolic response from the customers to show we don't "want" the AMT - and we were buying the car specifically for the better transmission setup. Others - wake-up. Daydreaming. Sigh.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th September 2023 at 19:46.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 20:08   #5
BHPian

Renault Kiger has AMT and CVT in its profile, so why can't Magnite have the same. I am sure they will retain both as they target different price points for the consumer. The more the options, the merrier for us I say! Plenty of people drive AMTs with no problem at all, so lets live and let live please.
jomyboy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 20:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'll be (pleasantly) shocked if they retain the CVT and AMT variants both.
Renault have been doing it with the Kiger for more than 2 years now. Except maybe for maintaining a more premium image, I’m quite surprised Nissan didn’t do it earlier.

The 1L NA + AMT lowers the entry point into the automatic range but does not fulfil the need for an automatic on the turbo, something I am quite sure is very important to Nissan.
ron178 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 20:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyboy View Post
Plenty of people drive AMTs with no problem at all, so lets live and let live please.
I am one of them too. I drive an AMT Ignis as a daily driver. Trust me - CVT is definitively better for driving experience. As an engineering innovation - I'm quite a fan of AMT as well. But car-makers are charging far too much premium for that piece of engineering, and we are paying for it, without much of an option left. People are driving AMTs - because that is the only "automatic" option available to them in the amount they consider justifiable for a commuter car.

Anyway - I digress, sorry about that. I didn't know honestly that the Kiger AMT was available for as much as 2 years. My bad. I don't quite understand the logic still though. Will be interesting to see how many 1.0 AMT Kigers are sold MoM vis-a-vis the turbo CVT variants. For some reason we don't see too many Kiger/Magnites on Pune roads here. I mean - the cars in the same price bracket - are seen in far more numbers.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 22:27   #8

Hi all,

Nissan is pairing AMT with the non-turbocharged engine (72ps). The price expected is just 40-50k INR more than the manual variant. Nissan is not dropping the CVT, it continues to be offered with the turbocharged engine (100ps).
The launch is to fill in the gaps in the model line up offering customers more choice. Most probably the AMT range will start from 7.5L, whereas the CVT range starts from 9.99L.
Kedrock is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 19:11   #9
BHPian

Nissan had a decent 1.2L, 4Cylinder engine in Go/Go+.
I still couldn't understand why didn't Nissan and Renault used it in Magnite, Kiger and Triber. I doubt they lacked the technology to modify it for BS6 compliance. Maybe it was lack of will power.

It would have hardly costed them additional 50k (my guess) but the benefits of a 1.2L, 4 cylinder engine would have been far more visible in their sales number.
Ton Ami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 00:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

My uncle was shopping for a replacement to his 2019 Santro Amt last year and he had checked out the Kiger and Triber here in my town with back to back test drives. The cvt was nice but not 12 lakhs nice for the turbo variant. He wanted an amt just as smooth as the Santro's, so we asked for a Triber Amt test drive and the dealer didn't have one. They took us on a Manual Triber for a test drive and my uncle just felt like he was sat in a strong car relatively that's held back by a noisy anemic 3 cylinder engine that vibed more than a tractor.

Funny enough the nearest Nissan dealer to us is Mysore some 250kms away from me but that wasn't an issue for my uncle who lives in Bangalore. But his only issue with the Magnite was the lack of Nissan dealership and service network. Still don't get why Nissan doesn't partner with Renault and use their existing service networks to help their own customers feel less stress.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 21:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nissan India has announced the Magnite EZ-Shift, featuring an automated manual transmission (AMT). This will be available across all non-turbo variants.

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231003_214210.jpg

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231003_214236.jpg

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231003_214254.jpg

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231003_214256.jpg

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231003_214258.jpg

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231003_214304.jpg

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231003_214307.jpg

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231003_214309.jpg

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231003_214313.jpg

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231003_214327.jpg

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231003_214329.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 22:15   #12
BHPian

Autocar India somehow claims "All non-turbo variants of the magnite" would now feature the EZ-Shift AMT.

Name:  Screenshot 20231003 221407.png
Views: 187
Size:  34.1 KB

Quote:
CarWale also claims, "Nissan India has unveiled the AMT variant of the Magnite crossover in the country. Since its launch in late 2020, the Magnite was solely offered with the CVT gearbox and was restricted only to the turbo-petrol engine. But now, potential customers can buy the crossover with AMT transmission across all five non-turbo variants."

If all non-turbo variants come with AMT, then the MAGNITE may as well be the first car in INDIA to offer an AMT right from the base variant itself.

If all of the above is true, then Nissan has really kicked it out of the park by offering AMT on all non turbo variants.

1. A 4 star crash rating means a safer vehicle.
2. AMT on all non turbo variants meaning a lower entry point for a city dweller seeking an auto gearbox.
3. A decent cabin with less electronics, more mechanicals (however average they may be) translating into a much reliable experience.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th October 2023 at 05:17. Reason: Font formatting
uditanshh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 10:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uditanshh View Post
If all of the above is true, then Nissan has really kicked it out of the park by offering AMT on all non turbo variants.

1. A 4 star crash rating means a safer vehicle.
2. AMT on all non turbo variants meaning a lower entry point for a city dweller seeking an auto gearbox.
3. A decent cabin with less electronics, more mechanicals (however average they may be) translating into a much reliable experience.
Add to it the rear washer-wiper as standard across all variants. A very rare feature to find nowadays in base and mid variants of cars. In some cars, it is available only in top-end variant.
Knightrider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 12:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Magnite EZ-Shift variant media drive reviews drops on 9th Oct at 12pm.

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231004_124951.jpg

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231004_124954.jpg

Nissan Magnite to get an AMT variant in October-20231004_124956.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 18:24   #15
BHPian

Why ditched CVT altogether?
The few Magnites which I saw on road, handful of them were CVTs.
So gauging by that scale, I don't think CVT was a sales dud.
Strange decisions!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks