Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2024, 13:12   #151
BHPian

Re: Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq

Lol.. What a terrible sounding name! and its not even Crystal in Sanskrit(Spatika is the word).

In Kannada, it would sound Kai-Lock (meaning: Hands are Tied) AND during usage it would be "Kailagdavaru"(meaning: one who cannot achieve, failure, incompetent)

In Slang Kannada, it would be translate to Kai-Lyaag (meaning: "Hands are not very responsive")

Pick whatever you want Skoda!!
akhil_007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2024, 23:18   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.dogfather View Post
I think after the Skoda Laura , the brand is now careful with the naming and by using Sanskrit words, they are emphasising the importance being given to the India market.
Ah well that brings memories! My father was offered a Skoda as an office car in a job offer and when he asked one of the guys what model he can get he responded "Waise ek sir ko to Laura gadi mili" , well dad didn't know that a car by that name existed (2012) so he disconnected the call and next day told the guy not to pick up calls when he's high.

Last edited by Chisels121 : 22nd August 2024 at 23:19.
Chisels121 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2024, 16:40   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Rendered:

Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-skodakylaqfrontthreequartersrendering.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2024, 20:13   #154
Senior - BHPian

Skoda has to very carefully craft their marketing and branding strategy with respect to the Kylaq.
It is already 4 to 5 years behind, in the sub-4metre-SUV segment.
The Kushaq and Taigun are not the most spacious of SUV's when it comes to rear seat space and the Kylaq, which sits on a truncated Kushaq platform may not score high on the space scale - a core "feel-good and practical necessity" w.r.t. the SUV form factor.

Assuming Kylaq sticks to VAG Group's DNA of good vehicle dynamics, safety and fit & finish, it really, really needs to stand head and shoulders over the competition at least in one area to make it a compelling buy.

With talented competition from Tata, Mahindra, Hyundai, Kia, Maruti & Toyota twins, the Kylaq cannot afford a single mis-step.

Last edited by arjab : 23rd August 2024 at 20:14.
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2024, 20:51   #155
BHPian

I hope the Kylaq brings in good sales for Skoda. However, there seems to be a product fit issue here. Skoda missed an opportunity to make the Kushaq slightly bigger or at least on par with other cars in its segment. Although the Kushaq is over 4 meters in length, the interior space feels more like what you get in sub-4m cars like the Nexon, Venue and Brezza. This has been a dealbreaker for many who are considering >4 meter cars.

With the Kylaq, which is even smaller than the Kushaq, I expect the interior space to be more similar to cars like the Punch or Exter, rather than the Nexon, Venue, or Brezza. This is a problem. Skoda will likely price the Kylaq against the Nexon, Venue, and Sonet but it may offer the space of smaller cars. Subcompact buyers might reject the Kylaq due to space, while those looking at the Exter or Punch might reject it due to pricing.

Last edited by swoosh : 23rd August 2024 at 21:01.
swoosh is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2024, 21:33   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Assuming Kylaq sticks to VAG Group's DNA of good vehicle dynamics, safety and fit & finish, it really, really needs to stand head and shoulders over the competition at least in one area to make it a compelling buy.
+100. They should specifically put all their focus on Pricing. I'm sure they can't outrun Koreans/Indians on feature list AND fuel efficiency. Pricing is the only option they can tinker with. Atleast as an introductory offer, if they price 50k-1L lesser than competition, they might have a shot a sucess. If there is any hint of premiumness in pricing, it's dead on arrival.

I really wish they see the same success as Ecosport,if not more.

Come down to earth and play your cards right Skoda!
akhil_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2024, 22:15   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Pricing is the only option they can tinker with.
I don't think they will consider it. Skoda is famous for it's driving dynamics, high safety standards, and excellent fit and finish. I assume they would like to keep these factors intact with the Kylaq as well. In that case, keeping the price lower would be difficult unless they offer fewer features or cut costs, such as providing a puncture kit instead of spare wheel.

Recently, Skoda has started the trend of setting prices high and then offering big discounts. I think Skoda should avoid such tactics.
Old 23rd August 2024, 22:16   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
I hope the Kylaq brings in good sales for Skoda. However, there seems to be a product fit issue here. Skoda missed an opportunity to make the Kushaq slightly bigger or at least on par with other cars in its segment. Although the Kushaq is over 4 meters in length, the interior space feels more like what you get in sub-4m cars like the Nexon, Venue and Brezza. This has been a dealbreaker for many who are considering >4 meter cars.
The MQB-AO-IN platform was actually not made for wide cars, which is also a disadvantage of the MQB-AO cars. The platform was designed mainly keeping crash test safety in mind. So to provide better side reinforcement they'd actually increased the metal area, resulting in a narrower cabin . To address these shortcomings, they're planning to bring the previous gen MQB platform as and when the Kushaq Slavia get a generation change. However they'd have to invest heavily in the Electrical architecture, as it was designed at a time when ADAS and stuffs were not much in vogue. However, I guess all of this would only come to fruition, if the Kylaq is successful. Otherwise, they might just keep the current platform, and upgrade the architecture.

P.S. Though not an advocate of sunroof , I personally feel that they should have included Pano Sunroof in the upper variant to increase the value quotient. After all, in our current market, it is bling that sells.
Mitadru is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2024, 23:08   #159
BHPian

Strategy1:
Launch at a shocker price like Citroen Basalt such that common junta should definitely take notice. Skoda is a relatively well known brand in India and they have also shed that high maintenance reputation with Slavia-Kushaq. Learn from Mahindra, Jio - launch at a super attractive price, fix any problems proactively and once people start using their products and liking it, slowly increase the price towards profitability. And it’s not like they don’t have required capital in banks for some initial burn.

Strategy2:
Skoda being a niche brand they have a particular fan base, so launch only 1 fully loaded AT variant at a price slightly lower than competition, provide outstanding support to initial set of customers, fix any issues found and then slowly add lower variants if required.

I would actually consider this 2 years down the road as a second car for city only use which is good for small highway stints as well. Its like a spiritual successor of Brio and with a more conventional rear.

Last edited by sapien : 23rd August 2024 at 23:11.
sapien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 02:25   #160
BHPian

Hi all,

I was one of the 10 lucky customers invited to participate in the latest 'Name Reveal' event.

•The Invitation -
Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-invitationfornamingfilmpremier.jpg

This time ŠkodaIndia randomly selected the participants from the ŠkodaGearheads community only. I personally belong to both the communities. I'm a member of the ŠkodaGearheads community and one of the 15 Founder members of the FansOfSkoda group also, built during the World Dynamic Premiere of the Škoda SLAVIA at the Taj Exotica and Resorts, Goa.

• FansOfSkoda Banner -
Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-fansofskoda-standee.jpg

So on 21st August, I left for Mumbai in my Octy at 5 am & reached the venue on dot albeit the ongoing road construction work, plentiful of diversions and also the dense week days' traffic in Mumbai.

• Welcome to the show -
Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-img20240821113753.jpg

The event itself was a compact one, just 2 hrs including the Inaugural speech and interaction with Petr Janeba, Brand Director, ŠkodaIndia, then screening of the Škoda KYLAQ teaser Film in English and Hindi.

• The Audience -
Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-audience.jpg

• Petr delivering the Inaugural speech -
Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-img20240821120455.jpg

I observed Petr has a great sense of humor, he impressed the small audience within just a few minutes and immediately brought the auditorium to life, further getting the audience involved throughout the interactive session ahead.

• New Era for Škoda in India -
Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-img20240821121513.jpg

Next year Škoda India would be celebrating 25 yrs of their entry to the Indian market and so they have proper plans to make sure to achieve the desired growth. And I guess we can expect something very special in correlation with the magic figure of '25' to commemorate this achievement.

Here are few points I could recollect from the speech by Petr -

• A lot of efforts/ activities are in the pipeline to celebrate the 25 yrs mark

• Drive events and meet ups

• Increasing no. of dealerships (up to 280 from existing 160 approx by end of 2025)

• Cost/ availability of spares would be addressed with 94% localisation in the 'India 2.5' project

• No compromise with the fit and finish of the new Compact SUV.

• He assured about the 5 star Safety rating of the new Compact SUV.

• He also referred to the Bharat N-Cap rating system quite positively.

Finally he revealed the long awaited name that appeared on the screen !

• The Name: Škoda KYLAQ -
Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-img20240821122806.jpg

Petr created adequate suspense about the 'NAME' before he revealed it finally. He took every single question thrown at him in a very positive manner and also replied it politely.
On a query regarding the relaunch of TDI mills to India, he clearly denied any such possibility in the near future in view of the stringent emission norms and also on account of the Euro-IV compliance of the current TDI engines. He took a jab at the emission of smoke randomly mentioning an incident when he came across a TDI Škoda car in Bangalore.
However it seems he personally is very much in the favour of ICE products than the EVs.
Anyway, I assume next few months would be full of happenings for ŠkodaIndia family.

• With Petr, Brand Director, ŠkodaIndia-
Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-img20240821123722.jpg

Then it was time for the Gourmet Lunch, consisting of a variety of sumptuous delicacies and desserts, served to fully satisfy our taste buds.

• The Taj Lands End Lobby -
Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-img20240821134417.jpg

• With the Media Team, Škoda India -
Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-img20240821150421.jpg

While I was waiting at the lobby for my car to arrive, I had an opportunity to meet Sandeep Fernandes, Head, Media and Public Relations, TeamŠkodaIndia. We could discuss topics of common interest for the customers in detail.
I suggested that ŠkodaIndia should come up with some comprehensive buyback plans to extend sizable benefits to the existing customers while upgrading with any new Škoda product.

So guys, if you still have any suggestions, please feel free to share your thoughts here, so I could forward a detailed note with the TEAM to circulate internally.

Thanks

Disclaimer:
I don't have any kind of personal interest or any relationship with 'Škoda India' despite being an ardent FAN ONLY of their cars, I own.

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 24th August 2024 at 02:42.
Dr.Vikas is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 08:24   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Hi all,

I was one of the 10 lucky customers invited to participate in the latest 'Name Reveal' event.

[/i]
Seems like a crisp well curated event. Was there any discussion or insight on the relaunch of the Octavia and the Octavia VRS in India in the near future? Would be interested to know!
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 11:13   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Seems like a crisp well curated event. Was there any discussion or insight on the relaunch of the Octavia and the Octavia VRS in India in the near future? Would be interested to know!
Hi arindambasu13

Yeah, albeit scheduled on a week day, it was a superb event.

And regarding your query about the Octavia and Octavia VRS relaunch, unfortunately there wasn't any specific discussion this time.
But I remember, it has been discussed sometimes earlier and the import through CBU route may be considered later, but anyway it's unsure regarding the timeline as of now.

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 24th August 2024 at 11:27.
Old 24th August 2024, 11:50   #163
UMe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Lol.. What a terrible sounding name! and its not even Crystal in Sanskrit(Spatika is the word).
True that ! Apparently, Google translate of the word 'kylaq' says, it means "let's go" in Azarbaijani.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-screenshot_20240824_114947_chrome.jpg  

UMe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 17:56   #164
Senior - BHPian

Tried to use the horizontal flip feature on Gimp and got the following result.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-skoda-kylaq-front.jpg  

Skoda to launch a Compact SUV in 2025. EDIT: Named Kylaq-skoda-kylaq-rear.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 15:07   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
• A lot of efforts/ activities are in the pipeline to celebrate the 25 yrs mark
Judging by VW/Skoda India's past, I am inclined to think that this translates to several aesthetics-only 'special' editions in the year to come.
Batfreak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks