Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2023, 09:31   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Toyota Rumion launched in India at Rs. 10.29 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
Now, shall we move on to some other topic than blasting the rebadged models?
See, this is the problem of rebadged models - there is simply nothing to move on to apart from badges
Especially when there is a premium for that badge !
Sk8r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 10:08   #17
BHPian

Delivery lead times are very important. Dealers are currently 80K cash extra for Ertiga immediate delivery (waiting 0f 8-10 months) or mandatory accessories of 1 lac (at least to commercial users). Was surprised to see all new Ertigas of our transporter having alloys, that's how I got to know. If Toyota can reduce delivery time, my transporter would be happy to pick these.
BhayanaV is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 13:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Is there any difference in service quality for which Toyota is charging a 50-60k premium over the Ertiga? Or is it only the ease of availability? Is accountability of Toyota Service is superior to Maruti Arena/Nexa?
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 16:05   #19
BHPian

What we don't realize is that the purpose of these rebadged models is more than being revenue source and meeting compliances in India.

Markets like South Africa where toyota rules, need cheap cars that may or may not meet the QDR set of standards of Toyota.

The Urban Cruiser which was based on the 1st gen Vitara Brezza, Glanza, Rumion and Belta(Ciaz) are to cater to these markets as Suzuki is not present there
Old 29th August 2023, 16:37   #20
BHPian

I'll say this again, badge sharing is OK. But amongst these two, it isn't Toyota who offers much to share!

Perhaps one day we'll have a Nexa Land Cruiser to make up and then I'll stop ranting!
lemedico is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 17:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

I just fail to understand these "redundant" Toyota Suzuki models.

Why should I pay extra (or even same) just for a different brand, knowing very well that the parent brand MS has atleast 10x better coverage in terms of after sales and the pre sales/sales experience is nearly the same (perhaps with 19-20 difference).

Any particular advantage of buying the Rumion over the Ertiga ?
Old 29th August 2023, 17:23   #22

The Toyota Rumion is a useful car for the Taxi buyers who cannot afford an Innova. Moreover, Toyota offers Extended warranty for 5 years / 2,20,000 km, which Maruti also provides but only for 1,00,000 km. Since Taxi vehicles have higher mileage, this makes more sense for them over the Ertiga. Appears to be Smart move by Toyota!
srikanthrajan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 17:28   #23
BHPian

It looks like Toyota has pretty much given up on the Indian market. As bad looking as the Etios was, I sat in one last year - taxi from an Airport to a hill station in the South and was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was. Certainly several notches above a Dzire or an Xcent/Aura. Seeing this abomination of a car is rather sad. While this might give short term economic benefit to Toyota, is it worth it in the long run? Would a first time buyer of a Glanza upgrade to Toyota now? Or would he switch to a Skoda, Honda or VW? Heck, even the Hyundais and Kias are an upgrade to most of these rebadged Toyotas
Old 29th August 2023, 17:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI07 View Post
What we don't realize is that the purpose of these rebadged models is more than being revenue source and meeting compliances in India.

Markets like South Africa where toyota rules, need cheap cars that may or may not meet the QDR set of standards of Toyota.

The Urban Cruiser which was based on the 1st gen Vitara Brezza, Glanza, Rumion and Belta(Ciaz) are to cater to these markets as Suzuki is not present there
Do you have data on how much have these been sold there? I assume that since Suzuki is not there (is that really so?), it is exported from India/Indonesia. India's Export from MSIL has not increased rapidly after this re-badging exercise. It would be nice to get the real picture.
Old 29th August 2023, 17:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Do you have data on how much have these been sold there? I assume that since Suzuki is not there (is that really so?), it is exported from India/Indonesia. India's Export from MSIL has not increased rapidly after this re-badging exercise. It would be nice to get the real picture.
https://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2022...oting-up-30-9/

"Over in the models aisle, the India-made Toyota Urban Cruiser (aka Suzuki Vitara Brezza) snaps the pole position for the first time with 4.3% of the market. "
KI07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 18:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Why should I pay extra (or even same) just for a different brand, knowing very well that the parent brand MS has atleast 10x better coverage in terms of after sales and the pre sales/sales experience is nearly the same (perhaps with 19-20 difference).

Any particular advantage of buying the Rumion over the Ertiga ?
A few reasons why people may buy Rumion over the Ertiga:-

a) If you live in one of the bigger cities; MSIL's principle advantage vis-a-vis more dealerships/sales and service touchpoints is negated as nearly all OEMs have a good network in the big cities.

b) Ertiga's taxi image will turn off a lot of people from this vehicle; even though they may otherwise want a 7-seater MUV to transport their joint families around. This will especially be the case in bigger cities.

c) People beyond the automotive enthusiast community do not know that these cars are badge-engineered. They think these are different vehicles. Hence they'll evaluate Ertiga and Rumion as though these were different vehicles. Toyota's premium image may be one reason to justify the higher pricing.

d) Ertigas typically have a high waiting period. Rumion might be more easily available.
Iconoclast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 18:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
A few reasons why people may buy Rumion over the Ertiga:-

a) If you live in one of the bigger cities; MSIL's principle advantage vis-a-vis more dealerships/sales and service touchpoints is negated as nearly all OEMs have a good network in the big cities.
My personal experience is otherwise. I live in a big city and I have 2 MSIL service touchpoints (one Arena and one Nexa) within 1 km of my residence, and ditto for my workplace. On the other hand, the nearest Toyota dealership is 9 kms away.

Quote:
b) Ertiga's taxi image will turn off a lot of people from this vehicle; even though they may otherwise want a 7-seater MUV to transport their joint families around. This will especially be the case in bigger cities.
I don't think the taxi image is because of the brand itself. Remember Toyota Innova ? Taxi's are bought by operators/drivers for the value for money they offer along with the space and ownership experience, not on the basis of brand.
In any case, XL6 is the Ertiga for the Middle class (without the taxi image issue).

Quote:

c) People beyond the automotive enthusiast community do not know that these cars are badge-engineered. They think these are different vehicles. Hence they'll evaluate Ertiga and Rumion as though these were different vehicles. Toyota's premium image may be one reason to justify the higher pricing.
While this is true to some extent, but I think the general awareness among public has grown leaps and bounds in last few years, specially with the advent of social media. Infact, even the showroom salesperson would himself come forward and disclose this to unsuspecting customer that it indeed its a rebadged car. I don't think Toyota classifies as a "premium" brand today anymore in India. Maybe 10 years back, yes.

Quote:
d) Ertigas typically have a high waiting period. Rumion might be more easily available.
Remains to be seen, but I see no reason why the same car from different manufacturer have a massive difference in waiting period.

Last edited by DCEite : 29th August 2023 at 18:19.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 19:02   #28
BHPian

A programmer's perspective for Class "ERTIGA"

Constructor
Toyota Rumion launched in India at Rs. 10.29 lakh-2018marutiertiga02.jpg

Copy constructor
Toyota Rumion launched in India at Rs. 10.29 lakh-2019marutixl602.jpg

Assignment operator
Toyota Rumion launched in India at Rs. 10.29 lakh-20230828_114558.jpg

Jokes apart, as a buyer am not happy because two big companies offering the same product with cosmetic changes. Ridiculous

Last edited by On4Wheels : 29th August 2023 at 19:04.
On4Wheels is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 23:37   #29

Why Toyota, you went for a rebadged model when you have the Toyota Rush platform ready with you.

It makes sense to have a rebadged model to keep cost less but it would be ideal for them to get Suzuki models which are not sold in India but exported for instance below two models would be a good start for Toyota

Swift sport
Ignis with AWD

This way they would have kept Toyota premium experience without taking Suzuki market share

Last edited by graaja : 30th August 2023 at 05:06. Reason: Grammar
Oldschool guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 11:26   #30
BHPian

How much premium did Toyota charge for Glanza? Did Toyota provide anything other than cosmetic changes for the premium they charged?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks