Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2023, 19:55   #1
BHPian

Vehicle horns to be quietened from the now 70 decibels to 50 decibels!

Horns to be quietened on Indian roads

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...896014396.html
dust-n-bones is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 20:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Solution to India's excessive honking problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post

While this is a welcome step, the root cause of undisciplined driving on our roads needs to be addressed, as many of us (including me) use horns as defensive measures to warn drivers and pedestrians engaged in reckless movement.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 20:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post

The article states :
" The ambient sounds levels in all major metro cities are close to 80-100 decibels. Some horns on Indian roads generate noise levels of over 100 decibels.

“We propose to amend the Central Motor Vehicle Rules to fix maximum permissible noise levels of horns on vehicle to around 50 decibels from over 70 decibels now. Also, certain tunes may also be suggested for adoption so that the sound of a horn becomes soothing to the ear and the audio quality just serves the purpose of providing sufficient warning of the approach or position of the vehicle and not an irritant to ears," Gadkari told Mint. "

I know for a fact that a 2010 Bolero on idle produces over 70 Decibels of noise that too in a quiet setting in Tier 2 city, so effectively revving an engine would make more sound than a horn in this case.
revvharder is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 20:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
“We propose to amend the Central Motor Vehicle Rules to fix maximum permissible noise levels of horns on vehicle to around 50 decibels from over 70 decibels now. Also, certain tunes may also be suggested for adoption so that the sound of a horn becomes soothing to the ear and the audio quality just serves the purpose of providing sufficient warning of the approach or position of the vehicle and not an irritant to ears," Gadkari told Mint. "

I know for a fact that a 2010 Bolero on idle produces over 70 Decibels of noise that too in a quiet setting in Tier 2 city, so effectively revving an engine would make more sound than a horn in this case.
50 dB is a quiet home. 70dB is equivalent to a normal conversation. Decibel level (Sound) is log graph. I don’t know what these lawmakers are thinking when they make such laws (if at all they are serious). Horns are supposed to be an audible warning in extreme scenarios and not for pleasing ears. This is the dB level, when I’m on a quiet street as I type. And the other is the high decibel warning alert when I’m near rotating equipment, definitely with ear plugs, and my watch takes care of warning me in time.

It’s like we have pain in head and the lawmakers give medicine for stomach.
Attached Thumbnails
Vehicle horns to be quietened from the now 70 decibels to 50 decibels!-img_5836.jpeg  

Vehicle horns to be quietened from the now 70 decibels to 50 decibels!-img_5429.jpeg  

Last edited by NomadSK : 25th August 2023 at 20:45.
NomadSK is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 21:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
50 dB is a quiet home. 70dB is equivalent to a normal conversation. Decibel level (Sound) is log graph. I don’t know what these lawmakers are thinking when they make such laws (if at all they are serious). Horns are supposed to be an audible warning in extreme scenarios and not for pleasing ears. This is the dB level, when I’m on a quiet street as I type. And the other is the high decibel warning alert when I’m near rotating equipment, definitely with ear plugs, and my watch takes care of warning me in time.

It’s like we have pain in head and the lawmakers give medicine for stomach.
With such idiotic decisions from different ministries at all levels, i think it's time they log off and touch grass.

Be it NGT or this Horn ruling or the Sunfilm ban or other endless stupid decisions.
revvharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 16:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Vehicle horns to be quietened from the now 70 decibels to 50 decibels!

According to a brand new statement by Mr Nitin Gadkari, Union Minister, horns of motor vehicles will have to be muted, so as to not emit sound (noise in many cases) above 50 decibels. According to the Minister alongwith air pollution, noise pollution is a major irritant and poses a serious health hazard for citizens. His Ministry plans to enforce an upper limit of around 50 decibels in a crackdown on loud vehicle horns, that will be a sharp reduction on existing permissible levels. The Ministry will finally suggest, certain tunes for adoption so that the sound of a horn becomes soothing to the ear and the audio quality just serves the purpose of providing sufficient warning of the approach or position of the vehicle by not becoming an irritant to ears, according to Mr Gadkari. The National Engineering and Environmental Research Institute (NEERI) has been asked to suggest such corrective measures after studying our traffic pattern and list the permissable decibel levels for various categories of vehicles and thereafter provide a list of tunes.

With regard to regulations on tunes, Mr Gadkari said that he wanted that horns should use Indian classical and instrumental tunes which would not only be less noisy but would also be soothing to ear. It would not be mandatory to adopt these tunes in horns but they would serve as reference for adoption by vehicle makers.

Current regulations mandate a maximum of 80-91 decibels for two wheelers, three wheelers, cars and commercial vehicles -- well over the 53 decibel day-time and 45 decibel night-time safe limit stipulated by the World Health Organization. The Indian Medical Association (IMA) says that listening to 80 decibels of noise for 6-8 hours a day for five days a week can cause deafness and lead to mental disorder.

Some horns on Indian roads generate noise levels of over 100 decibels. The ambient sounds levels in all major metro cities are close to 80-100 decibels.

The link:-

The corrective measures have come in, too late in the day, some 120 years after the first ever automobile entered India through its shores. Horns have evolved from the feeble single to double or double plus and air horns. The latter is though banned.

We discussed musical horns emitting classical ( meaning most likely vocals ?) and instrumental tunes in a thread very recently where many of us had taken a dig into such a thought by the Minister. He now says these will not be mandatory but serve as a model for adoption. Here it is felt that all government owned and government official's privately owned motor vehicles should take the lead by such "adoption" to lead by example. However rather than NEERI suggesting such tunes, the Ministry of Culture or Prasar Bharati would have been better suited to suggest such tunes as their ears are attuned to music of all genres.

And as regards the enforcement departments, the RTO and traffic police, sans any decibel meters for authentication would harass the traffic users with their own guess estimates. Anyone from among them who has sharp ears would penalise even the innocents, while those who are even a little hearing impaired could let offenders go Scot free. Bribery and harassment are bound to rise. In the absence of a decibel meter with the enforcers, who fine someone, the aggrieved can move a competent court of law to challenge the challan. But how many of us do move court to contest such decisions ?

We have failed to implement "no horn days" or "no horn zones" as has been done by many developed countries. As an alternative, "low (in decibels) horn days" are good, provided the law abiding traffic users don't get unnecessarily harassed.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th August 2023 at 16:40.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 16:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vehicle horns to be quietened from the now 70 decibels to 50 decibels!

There should be a restriction on the number of times you can honk in a day too. Like 5 times after which the worm stops working for 24 hrs from the first honk. People need to learn to drive without honking.
pedrolourenco is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 17:13   #8
BHPian

God sent for me. Much needed amandment.
Number of horns should also be reduced from 2 to 1. All that cacophony is getting unbearable for me with each passing day.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 17:29   #9
BHPian

Noble thought by the honourable Minister; but we are still a long way off from being able to drive without honking atleast a few times, considering the kind of traffic conditions across the country; not to forget a zillion errant drivers/riders. In Mumbai for instance, no amount of challans and CCTVs seem to deter owners these days.
Old 26th August 2023, 17:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I like this. Horns are too loud. This change needs to implemented not just for new vehicles, but for existing cars and two wheelers as well.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 18:35   #11
BHPian

While it feels good to hear this statement, How will this be enforced? What about existing vehicles?

The most modded parts are the horn and headlights here.

50 decibels will be tough to hear inside the vehicle with closed windows and playing music. For reference moderate rain makes around 50db, how will this be audible inside the vehicle over the rain?

Another Day Another attention grabbing statement by the minister that will not go anywhere. I would rather prefer government spend its money in educating road users on lane discipline, and parking etiquettes which will prevent most of the honking incidents.
ComboCutter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 22:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

I don't think people applauding this move understand just how little sound 50 decibels is. Sound is measured on a logarithmic scale so 50db is not "bit more than half of 90db" but rather less than the sound generated during a normal conversation.

https://www.mdhearingaid.com/blog/decibel-chart/

Tackling noise pollution is a good thing but you might as well remove the horns entirely for all the use a 50db horn might have. Even leaning out of the window and shouting will generate more noise.

I find that stock horns generally aren't too unpleasant or loud, it's just aftermarket horns that make your ears hurt. Cracking down on aftermarket horns might be a better move because this will just push even more people towards getting some ultra loud 3rd party horn installed.
Cresterk is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 22:04   #13
BHPian

God knows when the government will wake up to the blinding white LED lights. A person can bear the noise of horn for once but the effect of those white lights blind for sometime, which can result in a catastrophe.

Please please please, totally ban them first!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 02:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

50dB is too low, but the thought is in the right direction. I'm sure a committee would raise the limit to reasonable levels.

Horn sounds should be regulated mainly for commercial vehicles because they tend to install after-market horns and vent out their frustration by incessantly honking.

Atleast in cars we get insulation thanks to windows being rolled up, however 2 wheeler riders suffer the most because of loud honking. It's fair to show them some empathy & regulate horn loudness to an extent. Infact it will lead to a lot less road rage if people weren't rudely honked at.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 27th August 2023 at 02:24.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 05:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am a little amused at this classical music horn suggestion. I can imagine driving on a village road in the early afternoon when suddenly I am blocked by a convoy of huge buffaloes. And then I press my car horn to play Raag Vrindavani Sarang on a flute. The buffaloes will just sit down on the tarmac and enjoy the performance, not moving even an inch to the side !
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks