Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2023, 11:18   #136
BHPian

re: HSRP mandatory in Karnataka | EDIT: Deadline extended to 17th May 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merril View Post
I did the HSRP plates for our Celerio at Suraksha Koramangala.
I felt the numberplates looked better inside that frame, hence went for it. And regarding the rivets, the Bimal folks told me that even for new cars they are not doing it, as if there is any damage to the bumper and needs to get replaced you have to apply for a new set of HSRP plates and go through the whole process again. If the customer really needs it, they would do it is what I understood.

I also asked them about the fitting charges, and i even showed him what was written on the bookmyhsrp invoice. And he didn't have a clear answer probably they have been instructed to do so. Since i was in a hurry to get back, I didn't waste much time arguing about 100 bucks and paid it.
Old 5th September 2023, 12:27   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Wow, that was fast. Mine has not happened even after 11 days. You didn't order via website?
I was forced to order through the dealer as the website would only deliver to VW dealer in Mangalore even though my car was Skoda

Last edited by Deep Blue : 5th September 2023 at 12:29.
Old 5th September 2023, 12:37   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Bimal folks told me that even for new cars they are not doing it, as if there is any damage to the bumper and needs to get replaced you have to apply for a new set of HSRP plates and go through the whole process again.
I don't think this is true. One can always drill out the rivets and refix the number plate.

I just got mine fitted at KHT domlur for my Linea and the actual fixing was painless but please make sure you have the correct invoice copy so that the dealer can upload the fixing details otherwise can become a big headache.
Old 5th September 2023, 12:53   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
And regarding the rivets, the Bimal folks told me that even for new cars they are not doing it, as if there is any damage to the bumper and needs to get replaced you have to apply for a new set of HSRP plates and go through the whole process again. If the customer really needs it, they would do it is what I understood.
HSRP are designed to be riveted. This is done for enhanced security measure. Making it difficult to remove.

But in Bharat, convenience takes precedence over.

Only benefit I see for HSRP now is:
1. Easier for police/speed camera to challan by just scanning the laser etched number.
2. No more fancy plates.

Apart from this, all this exercise of changing plates yield no benefit other than to contarctor.

There is no enhanced safety whatsoever when the name says High Security.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 13:56   #140
BHPian

Anyone facing this issue? I am trying to book on siam.in site and no matter what I do on the billing address details, its giving this error.
Attached Thumbnails
HSRP mandatory in Karnataka | EDIT: Deadline extended to 17th May 2024-hsrp.jpg  

Old 5th September 2023, 14:47   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Anyone facing this issue? I am trying to book on siam.in site and no matter what I do on the billing address details, its giving this error.
I had the same problem. I fixed it by making sure that my address doesn't span multiple lines (and I think I removed the hyphen before the PIN code too, not sure).

Even though it looks like a multi-line edit box, enter your address as one continuous line, with commas separating entities, that is acceptable, IIRC.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 17:20   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vRSiva27 View Post
I have a KIA Carens which was registered in KA 03 in August-2022. At the time of delivery, the car received an IND Plate which was riveted on to the car.

However the car met with an accident where I has damage to both the front and back of the car and thus, the number plates had to be replaced. I changed the HSRP for a new pair a couple of months back and got it done at an “official” shop in Varthur.

Looking to check with the forum members to see if I am due to change the plate as well or if I am good with what I have. TIA for the inputs!
No. You can not get a plate in any "Official" shop. It can only be sourced by either the dealers when you are buying a vehicle or by yourself booking on the official site of the authorised plate manufacturer (based on the brand of the vehicle and your State of residence), if it is for an older pre-Apr 2019 vehicle.

The replacement plates are booked ONLY online and will definitely have the laser etched number which is recorded on the Vahan portal against the vehicle (also note the numbers for front and back are different).

Another point - For a replacement you need to lodge a formal complaint and submit a copy (not yet clear on the process though but others may know).

So please check and get the right plates. You perhaps have been given regular IND plates which are ok for now but when the rule deadline comes in to effect, you will need the genuine ones again.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 5th September 2023 at 17:43.
Old 5th September 2023, 17:26   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
1. Easier for police/speed camera to challan by just scanning the laser etched number.
Various state governments and police forces are actively scouting for ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) systems for traffic law enforcement. HSRP and the standardized font, size etc will make life easier for ANPR.

Once when stopping for food at a restuarant just nearing KA-TN state border I saw a Tourist Taxi vehicle getting its number plates changed (from yellow to the black on white). The driver had the number plates with him. I think it was a move to show the vehicle as a private vehicle and avoid paying road tax in TN. HSRP which gets riveted will make such moves a bit more difficult.

Note: In A.P, I had noticed all Taxi vehicles having the numbers in TV series (like AP01-TV 1234). Now if this info is shared with other states, they will know that the vehicle is most likely a Taxi Vehicle. KA does not do this, other than keeping aside the F series for public transport buses and G for government owned vehicles.
Old 5th September 2023, 18:00   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It was today for i10 plates, when I called to confirm it has arrived, they say it hasn't arrived.
Finally got a call around 4pm saying it has arrived. Now I can go anytime to get it fixed.
Old 5th September 2023, 18:34   #145
BHPian

Reading at the various experiences here, I think the process is getting streamlined slowly and hopefully the dealers would be able to handle the fitments better. I have booked for my XUV and scheduled for 16th September at Sireesh, near Silk Board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
KA does not do this, other than keeping aside the F series for public transport buses and G for government owned vehicles.
Commercial vehicles are assigned "A, AA, AB, ..." series, right? And private cars in "M, N, P, Z, ..". There are legitimate conversions of categories, like it is possible to change from commercial to private, while retaining the number. Also when the govt vehicles are auctioned, the number is retained, I guess.
Old 5th September 2023, 23:20   #146
BHPian

Hi Team BHPians,

I ran into an error while trying to get HSRP for my Renault Duster.

I first went to https://www.siam.in/selectoem1.aspx to know vendor for Renault in Karnataka.

HSRP mandatory in Karnataka | EDIT: Deadline extended to 17th May 2024-hsrp-error-1.jpg

Website directed me to https://bookmyhsrp.com/plate/VahanBookingDetail.aspx

I entered my car details just to get below error.

HSRP mandatory in Karnataka | EDIT: Deadline extended to 17th May 2024-hsrp-error-2.jpg

Anyone else got HSRP plates for old Renault cars in Karnataka ?
Old 6th September 2023, 09:03   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Commercial vehicles are assigned "A, AA, AB, ..." series, right? And private cars in "M, N, P, Z, ..".
My understanding is that KA and KL just go by the usual series. That 1234A, and when that reaches 9999A, they started with 0001B etc. And KA reserves F and G series for public transport bus and government vehicles. I may be wrong here though.
Old 6th September 2023, 09:57   #148
Senior - BHPian

My understanding of Karnataka RTO:
No letter, A,B,C,D - Commercial
E - 2 Wheeler
F - State transport buses
G- Government vehicles
H, J, K, L - 2 wheelers. Cant remember seeing I, don't know if its in use.
M, N - Cars
O - Dont know if it's in use. Never seen any vehicle in this series. Chances are it can be confused with '0' and purposefully omitted.
P - Cars
Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y - 2 Wheelers
Z - Cars

Once all single letters for a particular category of vehicles gets exhausted, the cycle repeats with double letters.
E.g cars, lets take KA04 as RTO:
KA04M[1-9999]
KA04N[1-9999]
KA04P[1-9999]
KA04Z[1-9999]
KA04MA[1-9999]
:
:
:
KA04MZ[1-9999]
KA04NA[1-9999]
:
:
KA04NZ[1-9999]
This will go all the way till ZZ. Post this, my guess is they will add another letter. None of the series have reached there in Karnataka, hence cant comment.
funkykar is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 10:37   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
My understanding of Karnataka RTO:
No letter, A,B,C,D - Commercial
E - 2 Wheeler
F - State transport buses
G- Government vehicles
H, J, K, L - 2 wheelers. Cant remember seeing I, don't know if its in use.
M, N - Cars
O - Dont know if it's in use. Never seen any vehicle in this series. Chances are it can be confused with '0' and purposefully omitted.
P - Cars
Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y - 2 Wheelers
Z - Cars
This will go all the way till ZZ. Post this, my guess is they will add another letter. None of the series have reached there in Karnataka, hence cant comment.
You are right.

"I" and "O" are purposefully omitted across the world as a practice in many areas including Building and Road nomenclatures to avoid confusions with "0" and "1". Another aspect is the Automatic Character Recognition Cameras/Softwares too tend to confuse it up depending on the fonts used.

In case of RTO, MORTH has taken care to select a font/typeface that may not cause so much of an issue but the conscious omission seems to be a cautious approach.
nareshtrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 11:00   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
My understanding is that KA and KL just go by the usual series. That 1234A, and when that reaches 9999A, they started with 0001B etc. And KA reserves F and G series for public transport bus and government vehicles. I may be wrong here though.
What I have observed is that (at least in Bangalore) - A-Z were assigned to all classes of vehicles (F & G were reserved). Once Z was breached and two-letter series were introduced, they went with this scheme:

Ax-(Dx?): All yellow plates.
Ex-Jx (Lx?) excluding Fx & Gx: Two-wheelers.
Fx: BMTC/KSRTC buses. All in KA-57.
Gx: Government vehicles.
Mx-Nx (Px and beyond?): All white plates.

KA-03, which seems to be the fastest filling one in Karnataka, is currently at NQ or so. I expect it to spill over into Px zone by Q2 of next year.

I see that there is a KA-61 Marathahalli that is about to be operationalised. We will see how they do it first-hand over the next few years then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks