Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2023, 12:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Fronx gets a 1.5L Petrol engine in South Africa

Suzuki has launched Fronx in South Africa. While the crossover is manufactured in India, the export version gets a bigger powerplant.

Maruti Suzuki Fronx gets a 1.5L Petrol engine in South Africa-fronx3.jpg

The South Africa-spec Fronx is powered by a 1.5-litre K15B petrol engine. It produces 104 BHP and 138 Nm and is paired with either a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic transmission.

Maruti Suzuki Fronx gets a 1.5L Petrol engine in South Africa-fronx2.jpg

On the outside, the Suzuki Fronx looks similar to the Indian version. It has a hexagonal grille with a chrome insert, flanked by a set of LED daytime running lights. The triple LED headlamps are positioned in separate pods on the bumper.

Maruti Suzuki Fronx gets a 1.5L Petrol engine in South Africa-fronx5.jpg

The Fronx gets slim wraparound tail lights and dual-tone alloy wheels. Suzuki offers a unique orange exterior colour option in South Africa. Inside, the car gets a 3-spoke steering wheel, twin-dial instrument cluster and a touchscreen infotainment system in the centre.

In India, the Fronx is available with two engine options. These include a 1.2-litre petrol that makes 89 BHP and 113 Nm, paired with either a 5-speed manual or a 5-speed AMT and a 1.0-litre turbo-petrol unit that puts out 99 BHP and 148 Nm. This engine is offered with either a 5-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 22nd August 2023 at 12:22.
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 12:35   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Fronx gets a 1.5L Petrol engine in South Africa

Just visited the Suzuki South Africa website https://www.suzukiauto.co.za and they have mentioned 1.5L engine for the Fronx with two models - GL & GLX.
With GLX having 9" touch screen infotainment, 360 degree camera and 6 Airbags to name a few of the features.

Maruti Suzuki Fronx gets a 1.5L Petrol engine in South Africa-18290_16384_sasa_fronx_inbound_elements_usp_card.png

Here in India we don't even get the 1.2L NA engine in the Alpha variant. What a step motherly treatment for us from Maruti Suzuki.
bobbyblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 14:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
Here in India we don't even get the 1.2L NA engine in the Alpha variant. What a step motherly treatment for us from Maruti Suzuki.
I don't get how that's a bad thing though? I'm not sure if it makes sense to sell the 1.2L engine in the top variant of the Fronx, when you have the Baleno for that. South Africa does not get the Brezza, I believe. So it makes sense to bridge that gap to the Grand Vitara with a 1.5L Fronx in South Africa. For India, selling a 1.2L top-end Fronx will probably eat into Baleno's sales.
Small Bot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 14:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a step motherly treatment for us from Maruti Suzuki.
We don't get 1.5L (anything more than 1.2L) engine on most sub 4 meter cars has more to do with Indian tax structure rather than step motherly treatment from manufacturers.
mukeshgoel is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 14:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
We don't get 1.5L (anything more than 1.2L) engine on most sub 4 meter cars has more to do with Indian tax structure rather than step motherly treatment from manufacturers.
Jimny 5-door is also a sub 4 meter car with a 1.5L NA engine.
bobbyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 16:06   #6
BHPian

Baleno/starlet also gets the 1.5L in South Africa.
Old 22nd August 2023, 18:06   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Jimny 5-door is also a sub 4 meter car with a 1.5L NA engine.
So was the original Mahindra Thar. With a good 2+ liter diesel (when regulations state 1.5L for sub 4M).

Its not a "mandate" that sub-4M length cars must have a 1.2L or less engine . The adherence to the sub4M regulations entitles lower excise duty/tax for the car maker, enabling a lower price (or more margin for manufacturer rather) for the customer.

If the manufacturer anyway wishes to price and position the car as an exclusive / premium offering - there is no point in looking for the excise duty benefits. Target audience is not budget conscious at all.

Also - what use will a Jimny with an 89PS and laughable torque engine be? It will perform worse than an Ignis for daily usage. The engine-car combination has to make sense afterall. If some day Maruti wants to pull a Thar RWD 1.5 like option with a Jimny RWD 4x2 - maybe they'll also bring a 1.2L NA engine, for customers who just want to "show" a Jimny.

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd August 2023 at 18:07.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 13:47   #8
BHPian

Fronx and Baleno are small and a light cars (lighter than Brezza, Ertiga and XL6 which use this engines). I don't understand why Suzuki requires a 1.5L engine in them. It is just a unnecessary overkill in my very layman opinion. Also, since the kerb weight would increase, I don't think there would be any substantial benefit apart from reduced mileage.
Old 25th August 2023, 14:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamemaztr View Post
I don't understand why Suzuki requires a 1.5L engine in them. It is just a unnecessary overkill in my very layman opinion. Also, since the kerb weight would increase, I don't think there would be any substantial benefit apart from reduced mileage.
Why overseas models get bigger powerplants is, one because there we have much better roads and freeways where people travel a lot for longer durations on the road. This requires cars to have decent power in case of overtaking etc.

Secondly people abroad like bigger engines and more power. We tend to gravitate towards economy which is usually not the case for most people abroad and the infrastructure is not here for spirited or uninterrupted driving.
Gupts007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 11:56   #10
BHPian

I don't see the 1.5L as a better powertrain than the Boosterjet esecially with the 6 speed AT. This is based on my test drive of XL6 and owning the Fronx for about 400kms now. While the 1.5L is good for relaxed driving mostly in the city, it doesn't want to give power until we shift down a couple gears. The fronx needs just 1 tap on the paddles in the city and on the highways it has ready reserve. The additional torque on the boosterjet and lower down in the rev range does help a lot.
vvs29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 14:16   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The largest car maker it is clear is wary about GST rules that will trap the 1.2 L plus, petrol engined sub 4 metre cars, to attract higher price tags repulsive for buyers. This was per se was a quixotic decision of the powers that be based on illogical and bureaucratic mathematics. It leads to severe restrictions for both, the carnakers and buyers too to make variants. There are buyers who crave for power but the prices will be comparably much higher for the 1.5 L variant here in India.

Both India and South Africa are developing countries though. Japan has a very logical tax policy wherein sub 661cc (kei cars) attract lower taxes like motor cycles. That's a logical cut off engine size sans the car''s dimensions. Road tax in Japan is charged on the basis of the car's weight.
Old 21st November 2023, 10:30   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Having done Brio 1.5 swap (both hard way and easy way) and with ecu tools and softwares at my disposal, I have now learned things and can easily do K15 swap on a Swift/Baleno/Fronx without much spend.

Will i do it? No - because 1.0 offers better performance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks