Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2023, 16:10   #91
BHPian

Re: Bharat NCAP launched in India | Crash safety ratings for adult & child occupants

Pedestrian and whiplash are missing in BNCAP.
AjayV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 16:35   #92
BHPian

Re: Bharat NCAP launched in India | Crash safety ratings for adult & child occupants

The stars rating is just a number. We donut take decisions on buying home appliances ONLY by looking at the 5 stars only. We look at our need / priorities and take a call depending on our budget and risk taking capacity of a particular product.

India is a developing country and we are not yet an advanced developed country yet to legislate only certain technologies like NCAP in any way. It will not stand in court of law. Govt will be challenged if it is providing the necessary infrastructure like roads of certain international standards. In India hardly 3 % of population file ITR which in turn is used to develop infrastructure like roads etc. In a way we cannot finger point anybody at this point for our state of affairs.

One decade back, 1 GBPS internet speed is unheard of in India and now it is everywhere. One decade back I bought a top of line Mahindra Scorpio VLX and it had no air bags. Now my Crysta has 7 air bags ( including knee airbag). We as India are growing at an unprecedented levels ONLY in some pockets of society. Some areas are untouched. We need to grow equally in all sections of society and it would take a couple of decades more . Until then it will be chaos. We are already experiencing this in many ways for e.g , we have villas sold in Bangalore for 3 million USD and there is no under ground drainage in that neighbourhood. The same Bangalore has an international airport of world standards.
Mystic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 16:32   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Bharat NCAP and Global NCAP: differences and similarities.

Global NCAP and Bharat NCAP: the one difference

Under GNCAP, the maximum a vehicle can score in Adult Occupant Protection (AOP) is 34 points, while under BNCAP, it's 32 points. Both testing protocols award 16 points each for front and side impact test, but GNCAP awards two additional points for seat belt reminders – half a point for each of the front seats and 1 point for the second-row.

BNCAP, on the other hand, does not award any points for seat belt reminders. However, it mandates it for a 3-star rating or higher, albeit only for the front seats.

Global NCAP and Bharat NCAP: The similarities

1. Child occupant protection: For child occupants, the scoring and assessment procedures are identical in both programmes. Both NCAPs award 16 points for the frontal impact test, 8 points for the side impact test, 12 points for CRS installation and 13 points for vehicle-based assessments such as ISOFIX usability, integrated CRS, provision of three-point seatbelts and more

2. ESC requirement – As of 2023, ESC is optional without a minimum fitment rate, but from 2024, for vehicles to secure 3 stars or higher – under both GNCAP and BNCAP – it has to be a standard fitment. However, there is a clause involved in making ESC standard fitment. The protocols state that fitting ESC in cars must be a two-step process – as standard in the bestselling variant of the vehicle or in equal number in other variants. Both NCAPs also require manufacturers to make ESC standard across all variants within two years of the test result publication. In the same time period, it must also be offered as a ‘standalone’ option, and not combined with any other feature

3. Side pole impact test – Both GNCAP and BNCAP state that for a vehicle to be tested for pole impact, it has to be fitted with some kind of head protection system, such as side and curtain airbags. Pole tests will not be allowed if side head protection systems are absent. For a 5-star rating, both NCAPs also require at least 50 percent of the vehicle’s variants to be fitted with head protection systems by the end of 2023, 70 percent by the end of 2024, 90 percent by the end of 2025 and 100 percent by 2026.

Interestingly, if a vehicle is tested for side impact in 2023, it could get a 3-star rating or higher, provided it qualifies all other criteria. This is regardless of whether it has a head protection system.

4. Pedestrian Protection – Lastly, Bharat NCAP requires all vehicles to comply with AIS100 norms which is similar to the UN127 norms that’s required by Global NCAP.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 16:08   #94
BHPian

My 2 cents,

Will implementing Bharat Crash safety Rating (BNCAP) reduce road fatalities?

IMO, While it is a great step ahead to start testing cars locally for crash safety, it is also important to be aware of the safety paradox involved.

Risk homeostasis/ Risk Compensation is a when a step taken to ensure safety actually leads to increase in risk due to perception of protection.
In this case, the psychology that one can drive fast (or with low safety buffer) since it is a 5-star safety rated car.

Research shows that we tend to push the limit if we perceive that the vehicle will keep us safe in case of a crash. This is a dangerous predicament considering the ever-improving road infrastructure but stagnant safety awareness 🤯

Solutions IMO,
1. Spread awareness that the ratings are just a basic guideline and to be always aware of road safety and drive within limits even if it's marketed as the safest car on road.

2. Have a clearly written disclaimer that ratings are limited to lab conditions with controlled parameters in all such rating stickers that will adorn the vehicles and marketing materials.

The car might be rated safe but much depends on the human behind the wheel 😉

Bharat NCAP launched in India | Crash safety ratings for adult & child occupants-bncap-1.gif
vivee90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 16:56   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivee90 View Post
My 2 cents,

Risk homeostasis/ Risk Compensation is a when a step taken to ensure safety actually leads to increase in risk due to perception of protection.
In this case, the psychology that one can drive fast (or with low safety buffer) since it is a 5-star safety rated car.

[/ATTACH]
Are you saying having safer cars will lead to drivers taking greater risks because they are likely to be safe in a crash? I doubt especially with the costs associated with getting a car repaired.
Old 28th August 2023, 17:09   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
Are you saying having safer cars will lead to drivers taking greater risks because they are likely to be safe in a crash? I doubt especially with the costs associated with getting a car repaired.
Nope. I am only talking about the perception that one can drive fast because the car is crash tested.

My point is in making sure such a safety paradox should not let drivers to drive beyond the limits assuming they can walk out of the car unharmed in event of crash.

I am stressing on the need to have that awareness.
Old 28th August 2023, 17:29   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Bharat NCAP has been launched with fanfare. The "VOLUNTARY" needs to change soon to "MANDATORY" though.

https://www.rushlane.com/bharat-ncap...-12476982.html

Rushlane has complied a list of 45 cars with their GNCAP ratings vide the old and new protocols that will be a ready reckoner and turn useful for the STARS scored at a glance.

Bharat NCAP launched in India | Crash safety ratings for adult & child occupants-bharatncapsafetyratingindiancarsaug2023.jpg

(Shows how these cars fare at a glance)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th August 2023 at 17:48.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 18:47   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Nexon video looks very familiar to me from a Tata launch presentation.
Hi ron178,
What's your take on the new safety features added to the facelifted Nexon? Will it be able to secure a 5* rating as per the new GNCAP protocol (I know GNCAP is being discontinued, but a hypothetical question). Thanks in advance.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 22:03   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Hi ron178,
What's your take on the new safety features added to the facelifted Nexon? Will it be able to secure a 5* rating as per the new GNCAP protocol (I know GNCAP is being discontinued, but a hypothetical question). Thanks in advance.
Hi The Rationalist,
It is not possible to say if it "will" score 5 stars but it is clear beyond doubt that Tata have kept the new GNCAP protocols in mind for the new Nexon. Not just 6 airbags but also three-point seatbelts for all occupants and little things like i-Size compatibility (not the case with old Nexon) that fetch points. The earlier Nexon was capable of a maximum 3+3 in the best case. The new one is capable of a 5+5 on paper but we will have to wait for test results.

GNCAP said they have 10 India results before the end of the year, including some voluntary tests. I don't know if they were referring to the Verna which for sure is one of them, but would be surprised if the Nexon isn't either, given Tata's history.
ron178 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 10:33   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

The Command and control center of BNCAP at the Central Institute of Road Transport (CIRT) is inaugurated.

In coordination with Crash Testing Labs and Agencies, this Command-and-Control Centre will serve as a robust administrative setup for award star ratings to vehicles tested under Bharat NCAP vehicle safety regime.

Bharat NCAP launched in India | Crash safety ratings for adult & child occupants-f6dr8ira0aavup5.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th September 2023 at 10:36.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 13:51   #101
BHPian

BNCAP will commence from 1st Oct 2023 the twitter link of Central Institute of Road Transport (CIRT) can be followed for regular updates.

Link :

https://x.com/cirtofficial?s=21
Attached Thumbnails
Bharat NCAP launched in India | Crash safety ratings for adult & child occupants-img_1516.jpeg  

Bharat NCAP launched in India | Crash safety ratings for adult & child occupants-img_1517.jpeg  

Last edited by XRoader_001 : 30th September 2023 at 13:52.
XRoader_001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 14:07   #102
BHPian

The BNCAP is a nod to the outstanding work of fear mongering that GNCAP has done in India over the last decade. That is what it is. It is inconsiderate of the Indian road conditions and driving pattern. It is so surprising that emissions and fuel efficiency regulations are tuned keeping in mind maximum driving speed and other conditions of India. But for NCAP, that thought goes for a six. I know many will bash me for it but safety is not just crash but it is also ride and handling, it is fire safety, it is wet weather safety etc. The government had a golden chance to define a holistic scale of safety which could truly improve safety of car drivers on Indian roads. But they chose to stick with the white man's definition of it, of course with GNCAP being one of the board members, this was always predestined. I am not saying for a moment that BNCAP won't save lives. It surely will but the regulation could have been so much more.
Carma2017 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 00:45   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
The BNCAP is a nod to the outstanding work of fear mongering that GNCAP has done in India over the last decade. That is what it is. It is inconsiderate of the Indian road conditions and driving pattern...
We have to start somewhere and I think this is a good starting point. Having seen the discussions on BNCAP from close up I would say industry had the chance to propose a protocol considering 'Indian road & driving conditions' but what was proposed was not on these lines and hence promoted the GOI to just go ahead with the GNCAP protocol.

We also don't have an 'accepted' database of accident research that can be used as a baseline on which such protocols can be built.

I hope that BNCAP evolves to include Indian scenarios, but I am more than glad we have this now rather than we spend another few years getting everyone to agree on what are the right Indian scenarios on which we build our NCAP protocol.
fiat_tarun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 11:55   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Maruti Suzuki will finally be forced to take safety seriously. They cannot, as the largest auto maker in the nation, ignore the Nations' own safety testing standards or dispute them. They will soon need to volunteer some of the vehicles for testing - I am sure they will only offer up Toyota rebagded cars like Invicto at first. However sooner or later they will need to send some iffy vehicles for testing that will score poorly due to decades of under- investment in safety.

Also, BNCAP need to make sure that they pickup sufficient number of Maruti Suzuki models for testing from their side as well, so that the sampling is representative of Maruti's share of the total cars manufactured in the country. I am sure Maruti will lobby hard to have as few of their fleet be pickee up as possible. Still, after years and years of dodging and pushing back against safety, Maruti will finally have to face the facts and slowly sacrifice some of their fat margins to start making safer cars.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 1st October 2023 at 11:58.
Old 1st October 2023, 13:36   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

A build up to the Bhart NCAP results:

Quote:
At BNCAP, we don't settle for safety standards; we drive them forward. Our evaluations exceed regulations, assessing vehicles on diverse safety criteria. Safety isn't a luxury; it's a necessity. Embrace a future where safety knows no bounds

Bharat NCAP launched in India | Crash safety ratings for adult & child occupants-f7m0sd2wiaa2gz5.jpg

Bharat NCAP launched in India | Crash safety ratings for adult & child occupants-f7m0sd3wsaaituw.jpg

Bharat NCAP launched in India | Crash safety ratings for adult & child occupants-f7m0sd5wcaasoin.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st October 2023 at 13:38.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks