Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2023, 12:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra launches new entry-level variants of the XUV300; prices start at Rs 7.99 lakh

When I was shopping for a car, I only looked at the top trims. For me the 3OO is a fantastic car but only while loaded. The top trims are very good, the lower ones may appeal well but once the facelift is launched, the old price enquiries will continue and the new prices will shock customers who want to upgrade from cars like Punch/Exter (segment).
Old 11th August 2023, 12:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra launches new entry-level variants of the XUV300; prices start at Rs 7.99 lakh

XUV 300 has been around a "long" time and we don't get to see it that often on the roads: product has "failed", why? I really don't know why? Same with the Marazzo except in a market that's veering towards automatics there's only a manual here and has been relegated to the taxi and chauffeur driven market and sells in low to moderate numbers! I think when a product fails whatever you do to entice the buyer with stripped out base variants at rock bottom prices dipping well into the lower rung successful territory (Punch, Exter), it doesn't help!
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 12:55   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
XUV 300 has been around a "long" time and we don't get to see it that often on the roads: product has "failed", why?
The XUV300 has averaged about 3500 units per month, since it's launch.
Honda amaze and hyundai xcent/aura also do similar numbers.

Not sure if calling it a "failed product" is fair.

Although it's competition does sell 2-4 times as much. (venue 7k, sonet and nexon 10-11k,and brezza 12k)
turbo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 12:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
And I wonder about their usage of the letters TCMPFi? Does that mean "take care MPFi"? If so, really need to take care, as it could also conk off!
TC stands for Turbo-Charged here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
XUV 300 has been around a "long" time and we don't get to see it that often on the roads: product has "failed", why? I really don't know why? Same with the Marazzo except in a market that's veering towards automatics there's only a manual here and has been relegated to the taxi and chauffeur driven market and sells in low to moderate numbers!
I too had the general feeling that the XUV300 had failed, until I saw the sales charts and noticed that the XUV300 actually does very respectable numbers. Seen in isolation, a car of its segment consistently delivering 5000 units a month is quite decent. Only when seen with its competition, these numbers look smaller, but I am sure Mahindra would be happy with these numbers, given the capacity constraints they are struggling with at their plant.

Marazzo is another story though.
Attached Images

aravind.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 13:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Can someone clarify as the original report on this thread reads:

1.2L TCMPFi
W2 – Rs 7.99 lakh
Unquote

While the description says the 7.99L priced variant gets a 1
2L turbo petrol engine!

The W2 MT is the new entry-level variant of the XUV300. It is powered by a 1.2-litre turbo-petrol engine that makes 109 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 200 Nm @ 2,000-3,500 rpm.
Unquote

So TCMPFI is a turbo petrol?
Old 11th August 2023, 13:54   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post

So TCMPFI is a turbo petrol?
yes, TCMPFI stands for Turbo Charged Multi Port Fuel Injection.

One cannot get the levels of torque (200 NM) from a small 1.2 Litre engine unless it is turbocharged. The engine is a pretty good one, though not as advanced as the mStallion and lacks the direct injection tech. Below are some excerpts from the Team BHP review of this engine from 2021 (In italics below):

• The XUV300 petrol is powered by Mahindra’s in-house developed 1,197cc, 3-cylinder turbocharged engine. This is essentially a reworked & turbocharged version of the 1.2L unit found in the KUV100. It features variable valve timing and produces a healthy 109 BHP (@ 5,000 rpm) and 200 Nm (2,000 - 3,500 rpm). In two words, the petrol motor is "damn good".

• Despite it being a 3-cylinder, very few vibrations come into the cabin. At idling, you can barely hear the engine and there are no vibrations felt anywhere. The refinement is certainly impressive! Not many will be able to tell that it's a 3-cylinder engine, whether at idle or on the move.

I am not sure why M&M still has this engine doing duty in the XUV300 range. The difference between the W6 TCMPFI and the W6 mStallion is only Rs. 50k! They could have easily standardized on the mStallion as the sole petrol engine and it would have helped a lot to improve the premium image of this car as well as make manufacturing operations easier and more stremlined.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 11th August 2023 at 14:10.
84.monsoon is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 14:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post

1.2L TCMPFi
W2 – Rs 7.99 lakh
Unquote
All three engines in XUV3OO are turbo-charged.

1.2L Turbo-charged MPFi (Multiport fuel injection) Petrol
1.5L Turbocharged Diesel
The above two options were launched first.

Then later, 1.2L Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection (T-GDi) engine named 'Turbosport' engine variant was launched later.

Hope this clarifies.
srvm is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 18:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueather View Post
The only decent trim of XUV300 is the top trim. All other variants are poorly kitted.
W4 was already a barebones variant. I'm not sure how did they manage to get an even more poorly equipped variant.
After hearing the news,I am scratching mine head to know what else they remove from barebone w4 may be came up something which rides on 3 wheels
nitin_knw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 21:05   #24

Something tells me they aren't over concerned with safety aspect in an era when everyone is providing safety features in basic models.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra launches new entry-level variants of the XUV300; prices start at Rs 7.99 lakh-mahindra_safety.jpg  

Old 11th August 2023, 23:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewanderer View Post
Something tells me they aren't over concerned with safety aspect in an era when everyone is providing safety features in basic models.
Sorry, but as if, all of these being offered on a Maruti are gonna make the Maruti any safer. What would you buy, a Swift Vxi or a W2 at the same price and I'm not taking turbocharger and the 6 shift into account here, just the basics and the shell.

At 7.99 this is a brilliant offering for someone who can hold it for long and is over the Hyundaiesque features being marketed by other manufacturers.

Last edited by Torquedo : 11th August 2023 at 23:49.
Torquedo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 02:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Sorry, but as if, all of these being offered on a Maruti are gonna make the Maruti any safer. What would you buy, a Swift Vxi or a W2 at the same price and I'm not taking turbocharger and the 6 shift into account here, just the basics and the shell.

At 7.99 this is a brilliant offering for someone who can hold it for long and is over the Hyundaiesque features being marketed by other manufacturers.
My critique wasn't that the W2 model has these safety features missing which is understood but that even the W6 and the W8 variant doesn't have those features which is a big miss for those concerned with safety and having better spending capability!

Comparison with a different class Swift is a bit weak because in the same class (CSUV) Kiger offers ESP, TCS, TPMS & HSA from the base model itself and its 4 star rated for Adult safety.
lonewanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 06:59   #27
BHPian

Bang on! Kiger offers a fully loaded experience in same price range, but I'm thinking of the 300 due to the better build (not happy with Kiger/Magnite and Punch as well, on the build quality and thus view the 5* ratings with suspicion)

Also, Mahindra boldly mentions 5* rating in official brochure, something which Tata is not doing for Nexon (wonder why!)
Old 12th August 2023, 09:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr001 View Post
Bang on! Kiger offers a fully loaded experience in same price range, but I'm thinking of the 300 due to the better build (not happy with Kiger/Magnite and Punch as well, on the build quality and thus view the 5* ratings with suspicion)

Also, Mahindra boldly mentions 5* rating in official brochure, something which Tata is not doing for Nexon (wonder why!)
Frankly Punch shouldn't be in the comparison because its toe-to-toe with XUV300 on build quality and at a lesser price the Accomplished variant offers excellent creature comforts and useful features.

For someone leaning towards XUV300, the arrival of W2 is an excellent news as it doesn't sacrifice much with appropriate cost cutting and also the sunroof starting with W4 might be a deal-breaker for some.
Old 8th December 2023, 23:11   #29
BHPian

These seem like great value! I came across this detailed video on the W2 variant.

Most Viewed