Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2023, 01:38   #1
MrA
BHPian

MH registration expiring, car located in Srinagar (Kashmir), owner out of the country

MODS, please feel free to move this thread to appropriate location. I tried creating it in "Advise" section but it didn't let me create it there.

I bought a 2010 Honda CITY in Pune in 2017, got the car ownership transferred into my name at the RTO Pune with the help of previous owner's agent who helped me out with the whole process, I am the second owner. Had the car shipped to Srinagar for my family and I left the country the same year. Car has MH 12 registration and it is expiring in the spring of 2025.

We are trying to sell the car but in Srinagar the dealers won't touch it because of MH registration, I believe someone offered 60k INR. Is there an easier way of selling it to some car dealer from MH who would pay a fair amount? I think the car probably has around 50-60k KMs on it right now. Even a fair amount towards a trade in would be a good option but the car has to have local registration to avoid any headache down the road.

If selling doesn't work out then could someone please guide me about how I can get the car registration renewed while I'm not even in the country and none of my family members can visit Pune for the process?

Thank You.

Last edited by MrA : 8th August 2023 at 01:46. Reason: Added more info
MrA is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 02:44   #2
BHPian

re: MH registration expiring, car located in Srinagar (Kashmir), owner out of the country

Who told you the car registration is expiring?

India private cars are registered for 15 years when new.

If your car is a 2010 model, I am sure it is NOT due for re-registration till the date-of-expiry-2025.

I do agree that many people are hesitant/resistant(?) of buying 'out of state' car/vehicle. Too much of paperwork.

Don't know if registration can be renewed online.

Maybe others can advise

(Suggestions that work are solutions, else advice)
mygodbole is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 03:00   #3
BHPian

re: MH registration expiring, car located in Srinagar (Kashmir), owner out of the country

Hey MrA!

I recently got my car registration renewed, so I can assure you that the process is not very simple and it can NOT be done without the owner's presence.

You can reach out to used car dealers in MH, they should be able to value it fairly, and you can offer to pay the shipping cost.

Do you have any friends in MH? You can ship the vehicle to them and take their help in selling it.

Lastly, you can try the online aggregators such as Spinny, Cars24 - they will happily lap up a well maintained out of state vehicle, since they have a huge network and will get it for cheaper (obviously you will have to take some hit for it being out of state).

Since you are out of country - I suggest you take the last route - it will be seamless. Not sure if the inconvenience of any other option will be worth the extra 70-80k.
bansal.sushant is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 07:51   #4
BHPian

Hey MrA,
First and foremost its not that your car is expiring in 2 years only the RC is getting expired which can be renewed but still if you go legally the RTO will personally inspect the car and then only extend its RC . But still there are undisclosed ways :P which doesn't require your car to be present over there ( I hope you would have understood ). Just contact a good RTO car dealer guy , he will do everything . The car can be re registered in entire Maharashtra through any RTO from any city . So in entire Maharashtra, I hope you would be having at least one friend who can do this .

The second way is that selling of the car through any established platform. See me being from armed forces i would suggest you that , we guys are interested in buying good cars irrespective of which ever state it is registered with. So since you are telling Srinagar there maybe many military personnel tell the local dealer this tip and there are cahnces of getting the car sold .

I hope it was helpful.
sriniadk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 08:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrA View Post

I bought a 2010 Honda CITY in Pune in 2017, got the car ownership transferred into my name at the RTO Pune with the help of previous owner's agent who helped me out with the whole process, I am the second owner. Had the car shipped to Srinagar for my family and I left the country the same year. Car has MH 12 registration and it is expiring in the spring of 2025.

If selling doesn't work out then could someone please guide me about how I can get the car registration renewed while I'm not even in the country and none of my family members can visit Pune for the process?

Thank You.
You have two options:
  1. Change the registration of the Car to Srinagar and then you can continue to use it or sell it. If you do this, you will be able to renew the registration in Srinagar in 2025. This can be done by getting an RTO agent in Pune who can get you the necessary paperwork like NOC etc. and then getting an agent in Srinagar to get the registration done over there. You can check how much of this process can be done online. During this process, you can perhaps even get the car registered in the name of one of your family members in Srinagar.
  2. Take the car back to Pune. If you want to renew the registration, the owner really need not be present. You can sign all the documents and send them to an agent. However, the car needs to be presented for the physical inspection.
pjbiju is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 09:01   #6
MrA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
Hey MrA!
Since you are out of country - I suggest you take the last route - it will be seamless. Not sure if the inconvenience of any other option will be worth the extra 70-80k.
You mean using snippy or cars24 will be a seamless option? Thank you for the suggestions, appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriniadk View Post
Hey MrA,
The second way is that selling of the car through any established platform. See me being from armed forces i would suggest you that , we guys are interested in buying good cars irrespective of which ever state it is registered with. So since you are telling Srinagar there maybe many military personnel tell the local dealer this tip and there are cahnces of getting the car sold .

I hope it was helpful.
Thank you, I’ll see if any dealer will work me on that. Also, seems like the option to renew registration using an agent in Pune or anywhere in Maharashtra might also be a good option and hopefully we can avoid sending the car to Maharashtra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
You have two options:
  1. Change the registration of the Car to Srinagar and then you can continue to use it or sell it. If you do this, you will be able to renew the registration in Srinagar in 2025. This can be done by getting an RTO agent in Pune who can get you the necessary paperwork like NOC etc. and then getting an agent in Srinagar to get the registration done over there. You can check how much of this process can be done online. During this process, you can perhaps even get the car registered in the name of one of your family members in Srinagar.
  2. Take the car back to Pune. If you want to renew the registration, the owner really need not be present. You can sign all the documents and send them to an agent. However, the car needs to be presented for the physical inspection.
Thank you, that’s very helpful. Do you know if changing the registration to Srinagar and then renewing the registration there will be in the same ballpark as renewing the registration in Maharashtra when it comes to the cost or registration and taxes etc? In that case I’ll try to contact an agent in Pune to get us the NOC required to register the car in Srinagar. Would be nice to have local registration, last time I was in Srinagar we went to a famous tourist spot, I was surprised to see us getting pulled over more frequently by the local police because of MH license plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
Who told you the car registration is expiring?

India private cars are registered for 15 years when new.

If your car is a 2010 model, I am sure it is NOT due for re-registration till the date-of-expiry-2025.
Yes I am trying to be prepared in anticipation of the required renewal in spring of 2025. Less than two years away.

Last edited by graaja : 8th August 2023 at 10:52. Reason: Merging back to back posts
MrA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 12:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: MH registration expiring, car located in Srinagar (Kashmir), owner out of the country

Quote:

Thank you, that’s very helpful. Do you know if changing the registration to Srinagar and then renewing the registration there will be in the same ballpark as renewing the registration in Maharashtra when it comes to the cost or registration and taxes etc? In that case I’ll try to contact an agent in Pune to get us the NOC required to register the car in Srinagar. Would be nice to have local registration, last time I was in Srinagar we went to a famous tourist spot, I was surprised to see us getting pulled over more frequently by the local police because of MH license plate.
I would not know the exact details. However re-registration at the end of the 15 year period would more or less be the same in MH or Srinagar. It would involve the following charges:
  1. Postal Fee : 50
  2. Renewal of Registration: 5000 (For cars, this was 600 earlier, but has been increased by 5 times now)
  3. Smart Card Fee : 200
  4. Vehicle Inspection Fee: 800 (manual inspection)
  5. Environment Tax : 3000 (Petrol cars)
The above is based on MH, Pune charges last year. The actual amounts may vary from state to state and also may change every year.

For changing the current registration from MH to Srinagar, you will have to pay the registration charges as per the rules of the state. It will usually be calculated on a pro-rata basis, assuming 15 years as the normal registered life of the car. I found the following information online. You would be able to find the actual information on the Parivahan site or from an RTO agent.

Quote:
From August 2019 onwards, new rules were implemented for taxes applicable to out-of-state vehicles. According to the amended Motor Vehicles Act, any vehicle that enters Jammu and Kashmir after 3 August 2019 is applicable for road tax as follows:
  • All vehicles except motorcycles exceeding Rs. 1.5 lakhs: 9% of the ex-showroom price of the vehicle paid on a pro-rata basis.
If you pay the registration charges in Srinagar, you can get a refund for the remaining period from MH. However, the amount of refund may be very small since you will already be into the 13th year this year. Also the agents may charge too much to get it. But you can try the same.
pjbiju is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 12:28   #8
BHPian

Re: MH registration expiring, car located in Srinagar (Kashmir), owner out of the country

I would suggest one of the below options depending on whether you want to retain the car or not.
If you want to get rid of the car, best way is to get used car platforms like spinny, cars24 etc., to buy the car in Srinagar. They will deal with all the legal hassles and will be the easiest way out for you.

If you want to retain the car, apply for NOC in pune and register it in the name of a family member in Srinagar. This will help in future for RC renewal in 2025 and any further sale in future.
Everlearner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 12:35   #9
BHPian

I would also suggest transferring the ownership from MH to JK if you have no intention of changing the car unless for expiring registration/fitness.

Firstly get hold of a good RTA agent in Srinagar. They will be able to tell the exact cost & documents needed to transfer the registration to J&K. The major cost would most probably be paying the lifetax in J&K. Based on the information provided, proceed to get the required documentation (mainly NOC) from MH through a good Pune RTA agent.

You will probably spend some amount out of pocket for agent fees & road tax but you can continue to keep the car without any further legal trouble.
Comrade is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 12:46   #10
BHPian

Looking at your scenario the car RC expires in 2015 as it’s a 2010 model. You can renew the registration on the car but for that you need to bring the car to Maharashtra as the registration renewal can be done only after vehicle inspection. Its ok if you are not present with the car but you will have to sign the documents and send it over (if you cannot send the documents then there is another way to this signatures also but that can be discussed once you finalise on doing so)

2nd option is as everyone said sell the car online and they will take care of legal hassles. You will get a little less than market value as it would be an out of state vehicle but then if you expect good resale value then you have to send the car over to MH.

You can contact me if you need a good RTO agent in Pune or if you decide to send the car over to Pune for resale.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th August 2023 at 20:32. Reason: Kindly quote a post only when relevant, thanks!
aneesh2M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 22:45   #11
MrA
BHPian

Quote:
I would not know the exact details. However re-registration at the end of the 15 year period would more or less be the same in MH or Srinagar. It would involve the following charges:
  1. Postal Fee : 50
  2. Renewal of Registration: 5000 (For cars, this was 600 earlier, but has been increased by 5 times now)
  3. Smart Card Fee : 200
  4. Vehicle Inspection Fee: 800 (manual inspection)
  5. Environment Tax : 3000 (Petrol cars)
The above is based on MH, Pune charges last year. The actual amounts may vary from state to state and also may change every year.

For changing the current registration from MH to Srinagar, you will have to pay the registration charges as per the rules of the state. It will usually be calculated on a pro-rata basis, assuming 15 years as the normal registered life of the car. I found the following information online. You would be able to find the actual information on the Parivahan site or from an RTO agent.

If you pay the registration charges in Srinagar, you can get a refund for the remaining period from MH. However, the amount of refund may be very small since you will already be into the 13th year this year. Also the agents may charge too much to get it. But you can try the same.
Thank you, I was worried I might have to pay the entire road tax in Srinagar but based on some online calculator, due to the age of the car it is only around 5k-7k, assuming ex-showroom price is 9.5L. I think I'll contact an RTO agent in Pune and get the NOC required to register it in Srinagar, seems like the cheapest and simplest path(unless I need to send the car to Pune) and we can keep the car for many more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh2M View Post
You can contact me if you need a good RTO agent in Pune or if you decide to send the car over to Pune for resale.
Thank you, sending you a private message.

Also, thank you @Everlearner and @Comrade for the suggestions.

Leaning towards getting the NOC from Pune with the help of a good RTO agent, hopefully without having to send the car over there. Should be easy to get it re-registered in Srinagar after that, we also have a bunch of contacts at the RTO office in Srinagar so the main issue will be getting all the required documents from Pune.
Old 8th August 2023, 23:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Leaning towards getting the NOC from Pune with the help of a good RTO agent, hopefully without having to send the car over there. Should be easy to get it re-registered in Srinagar after that, we also have a bunch of contacts at the RTO office in Srinagar so the main issue will be getting all the required documents from Pune.
Once you get the NOC from Pune, please do the registration in Srinagar as early as you can. There is some time bound validity period for the NOC issued. The agent would be able to tell you the exact duration. Best of luck
pjbiju is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 03:11   #13
MrA
BHPian

Quote:
Once you get the NOC from Pune, please do the registration in Srinagar as early as you can. There is some time bound validity period for the NOC issued. The agent would be able to tell you the exact duration. Best of luck
Will do, thank you
Old 12th August 2023, 10:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
You mean using snippy or cars24 will be a seamless option? Thank you for the suggestions, appreciate it.
Spinny may not buy an old car but Cars24 will definitely buy. I sold my 2014 Fiat Punto (Telangana registered) in Odisha through Cars24.

They gave a fair price. Cars24 basically drove the car to Telangana and auctioned it off to a local dealer. Once the car is sold to another person, they shared the new RC copy and all was well.
maximus_fiat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 10:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_fiat View Post
Spinny may not buy an old car but Cars24 will definitely buy. I sold my 2014 Fiat Punto (Telangana registered) in Odisha through Cars24.

They gave a fair price. Cars24 basically drove the car to Telangana and auctioned it off to a local dealer. Once the car is sold to another person, they shared the new RC copy and all was well.
From my recent experience interacting with Cars24 and the like, they expect the owner to be present at the time of handing over the car with adhaar proof and won't accept any representation or pre signed documents. Hence this might be a problem if the owner is abroad.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks