Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2023, 07:40   #31
BHPian

Re: Stellantis considers re-launching Fiat and introducing Alfa Romeo in India

I really hope they don't do stupid strategic blunders like the last time.
Their cars are fantastic, engines are fantastic, designs might be a subjective issue, but as a general rule ~ 50% people will like them.
They just need to get the right people on the job, and a robust campaign to shed the negative impressions of their past sojourns, and they'll be off to a flying start.
Old 8th August 2023, 10:54   #32
BHPian

Given the poor products, expensive spares and bad service record, doubt if they have the smile value of Fiat of yore. It will take them ages to build a reputation; with good durable products, sensible pricing and new offerings. Not some 5 year old products for us.
Market is smart, well read and respects value for money. They know what they want for the money. Kia did that so well amongst the new entrants and Citroen did it really not so well in recent times. May be they should not listen to the current decision makers of Citroen and Fiat, responsible for India, to begin with!
Old 8th August 2023, 11:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have owned the Linea T Jet, which was pretty much the top of the line offering at the time from FIAPL. It was good for its time, it had its sunshine days, but the market moved on.

It's not a question of products as much as the commitment of Stellantis. Despite obvious geopolitical implications, MG has introduced 5 products including 2 EVs in a span of about 5 years. Not all sell equally well, but they do have a recall value, are mostly state of the art, and by and large, I haven't seen hugely dissatisfied customers, even on this forum. If brand MG can push for so much so quickly, then the Stellantis conglomerate surely must have a long think. If they are serious, that is.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th August 2023 at 18:19. Reason: Typos and punctuation.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 11:56   #34
BHPian

As delicious the Alfas look and sound, they are notorious for their suspect reliability so I do not think they would sell in India except a very small niche of buyers.
Old 8th August 2023, 16:53   #35
BHPian

It's nice to hear this news, but as many of our forum friends have said, one side we are enthusiastic that it's a great driver's car but they just can't come up with a solid surefire after sales and service support and easy access to spares and more importantly listen to the Indian customer closely and give regular updates and important features. That will be a killer combo which can give them sure shot success.

But unfortunately they haven't learnt anything being present in this market all these years.

It's sad that lot of our country folks swear by the Fiat brand even to this day, but they have let us down again and again.

Coming to Alfa Romeo, it's a desirable premium brand, but first they have to get their act together with Jeep,Citroen and then Fiat, if it pays off, then they should gamble with A R.
Old 8th August 2023, 18:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

My wish list would be -

1. Linea with 1.6 diesel.
2. Palio with 1.3 Multijet.
3. Fiat 500.

Off course all above models in their new Avtar.

Fiat has certain fan following in India and if they bring good products, they can do well. They can make India as manufacturing hub for exports too so that they can survive easily. Also they can supply their engines to other manufacturer's like before. Hope they will come to India soon.
Old 8th August 2023, 19:01   #37
BHPian

India is first, a base for global technical centres, both digital and engineering/validation/supplier development for both Citroen and Jeep (Chennai, Hyderabad). Also, it is a manufacturing JV with high sales volumes Tata (Ranjangaon jv plant), and now a huge engine and transmission exports hub (Citroen), also a JV. Then it is a re-export base for developed-market-spec Jeeps, and new emerging markets for Citroens.

Only then does it target sales, service and market share in India. Indian market sales may allow enough scale for the former, and lower overall costs for manufacturing and export operations, but are secondary. Speaking financially only company-wise, not in terms of brand aspirations/targets, etc.

That may seem lopsided, but it makes sense in terms of risk capital. So, they can at lower risk and lower costs re-introduce FIAT if the export numbers, or export of components numbers (to Turkey, Brazil, Egypt, Algeria, etc, where FIAT is booming) add up.

Ditto for Alfa Romeo: CKD of Tonale, Giulia, Stelvio, etc. - mainly for re-export to RHD Japan and Australia. India as a target market makes no financial sense other than as a way to keep some metro city Jeep/Alfa dealers happy.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th August 2023 at 05:43. Reason: Capitalisation, spacing, punctuation, typos, etc.
Old 8th August 2023, 19:30   #38
BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5478075 (December 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis)

My comment about Fiat a few months ago. I am not really surprised to hear about Fiat's re-launch in India. If they genuinely want to make a mark this time around, they have got their work cut out for them.

The automotive landscape in India has evolved significantly, with a bunch of strong contenders in the market. Fiat needs to step up their game if they want to even be considered. It's not just about offering products; it's about offering something that resonates with customers, something that can match the impact KIA and MG made when they entered the Indian scene.

The old Fiat approach of putting out good engine and driving dynamics but non-customer-centric products just won't cut it anymore. They've got to step in with a bang, a comprehensive game plan that meets Indian consumers expectation. But personally, I'm a bit skeptical whether Fiat will be able to execute such a dynamic approach. Only time will tell how their re-launch pans out.
Old 8th August 2023, 19:47   #39
BHPian

Re: Rumour: FCA will be discontinuing the Fiat brand in India

The CKD assembled-in-India Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 2.0-litre turbo-petrol is a close 'Giorgio' platform sibling of the Alfa Romeo Stevio and Giulia. Now, both the platform and this powertrain are, or so say many reviewers, best-in-the-BMW-Mercedes class. Landmark in Delhi NCR sells very few a month, at high dealer margins. So they will not be unhappy if the Alfas join them.

But why would Stellantis bother? Re-export at higher margins to say RHD Japan - like with the Jeep Grand Cherokee? The car has been written off as not worth it, overpriced etc in India. No match for Mercedes, and BMW non-SUVs.

Not worth the least bother, IMO. The Alfa Romeo in India idea is a pure throwaway PR talking point, I think.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th August 2023 at 05:43. Reason: Spacing, capitalisation, typos, etc.
desdemona is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th August 2023, 21:55   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Those at the helm at Stellantis are playing hide and seek with India it appears. Was also going through a thread where they said they want to discontinue the Fiat brand in India.

I can only remember the 2016 hit by Above This, a pop group, " now they see me, now you don't."
Old 9th August 2023, 01:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Everytime I see one of these super rare Fiat 500’s my heart sings.
And everytime I watch this ad my heart sings even more.
If I had the money to throw away, I'd buy a fiat (pun intended).
My all time favorite is the bad boys commercial.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 02:07   #42
BHPian

MODS: have also posted this in a Citroen thread. Please remove if against forum rules. Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 08:34   #43

As good as it sounds, the heavy taxes will probably deter them from coming in with any ICE cars. I can see them introducing the 500 electric in a few years though. Citroën itself will take some time to be profitable and even that is a big if with their basic products right now. Stellantis' brands aren't the first name in quality and reliability either. Having just exited India, it makes no sense for Fiat to come back.
Old 9th August 2023, 12:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

As an existing Fiat owner, I hope this comes true, which means longer spares & service support for my Linea.
Also, it would give some nice upgrade options from the Fiat stable.
But, Stellantis needs to invest in branding/marketing, expand their dealerships & service centers to succeed in our tough market.
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 12:54   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Stellantis already has two brands in India - the iconic Jeep marque (with some great but old cars) and newbie Citroen (with some great cars).

Both these brands are struggling & have their own challenges.

Fiat already has a terrible reputation & was taken to the funeral, after 5 long stays in the ICU (once with a big surgeon called Tata). Alfa Romeo is a sexy brand, but investing in another brand isn't wise when you are already struggling with two.

It takes a lot of work to build brands, cars, plan pricing, variants, marketing strategies etc. Renault-Nissan were similarly struggling & brought in Datsun. Management had no bandwidth, the strategies were clean-bowled and the brand was RIP.

IMHO, Stellantis should instead use its resources to make Jeep & Citroen stronger. The luxury car market is anyway tiny in India for anyone other than the 3 - 4 big luxury brands, so why bother?

Jeep Compass Petrol not on sale in a market that's moved to petrols. Diesel AT was delayed, when the market was hot for Diesel ATs. Citroen got its variants & pricing totally wrong and has 3 straight flops (C5, C3, C3 Electric). Please explain to me who has the time for launching yet another brand at Stellantis India.

Last edited by GTO : 9th August 2023 at 13:01.
GTO is offline   (47) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks