Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2023, 00:45   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Kia Sonet Facelift spotted testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuChDa View Post
1. Safety with proven crash test ratings
2. Rear seat depth (I measured it to be 48 cms, even my small i10 has about 51 cms).
Both the above have absolutely zero chances of turning into a reality.

It’s just a facelift and apart from minor cosmetic changes to the front and rear end and some of the interiors; please don’t expect anything more. As a matter of fact, Kia is doing way more than what we have seen in facelifts from other manufacturers. Case in point - Seltos. So working on the structural part is next to impossible.

Same applies to the rear seats. The rear seat squab having a shorter length is for a reason - to improve the rear legroom. Not to forget it has one of the biggest boot space in the segment. There’s only so much you can play in the sub-4m length. Hence, no changes expected here either.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 7th August 2023 at 00:47.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 14:53   #17
BHPian

Incidentally, I was at a KIA dealership over the weekend to almost book a Sonet.

I felt, the 1.2 Petrol was underpowered (takes its own sweet time to get going). To my surprise, the 1L Turbo didn't have any vibrations that are otherwise expected from a 3-Pot engine and it was quick off the block too!

The only reason I didn't book the Sonet was because it didn't have a Manual Transmission in the 1.0 Turbo. That, I felt is ridiculous given the Indian car market.

I am now hoping that some sense prevails, and we get a 1.0 Petrol with Manual Transmission on the Sonet in the top variants too.

Last edited by Driving_Nomad : 7th August 2023 at 14:56.
Driving_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 15:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
I am now hoping that some sense prevails, and we get a 1.0 Petrol with Manual Transmission on the Sonet in the top variants too.
Kia are done with MT’s! The unavailabilty of the facelifted Seltos in a ‘proper’ MT itself confirms that they are sadly dead. The only option are iMT’s , which I agree with you are neither here not ther.
Old 7th August 2023, 16:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Kia are done with MT’s! The unavailabilty of the facelifted Seltos in a ‘proper’ MT itself confirms that they are sadly dead. The only option are iMT’s , which I agree with you are neither here not ther.
The only thing about the iMTs are that they are neither built with intelligence to control the clutch, nor can they be controlled manually.

I also heard the Sales person at the dealership saying that 80% of the Sonets that they sell are the MTs, which might be because a. Nobody knows the future of iMTs (like problems, maintenance issues, reliability etc). I am yet to find a thread on the iMTs and read it to understand better.

Coming back to topic, I am not sure what it would cost KIA to add a Manual to their 1.0 lineup, when (AFAIK), the Venue/i20 have it.

My 2 cents.
Old 7th August 2023, 17:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
I also heard the Sales person at the dealership saying that 80% of the Sonets that they sell are the MTs, which might be because a. Nobody knows the future of iMTs (like problems, maintenance issues, reliability etc). I am yet to find a thread on the iMTs and read it to understand better.
As someone with a nearly 2 year experience with a Sonet IMT, I think I could chip in here.

It's a relatively cost effective gearbox, when mass produced (read for multiple vehicles), the cost would come down significantly and be priced at almost a manual GB level. This is what Kia is doing I think. Providing the convenience of an AT (since the gearshift is pinky finger light), but at the cost of MT across all their vehicles (except Carnival of course!)

I get the correct shifts 95% times, without any delay. It's only when I am in the mood and need rapid shifts at 4K+ RPMS, is when the GB hesitates a little to shift. But IMO, even that is much faster than many average TCs, CVTs or woefully tuned DSGs (read Hector).

With respect to maintenance I came across a video from Gagan (also watched others), and he mentions the iMT is next only to traditional MT in terms of reliability. ATs, CVTs, DSGs and even AMTs would come in later. If you follow the general rules of driving an iMT (not too many to be frank. Just try to shift to neutral when you stop for long durations), the gearbox would be reliable for as long as a manual GB.

I can attest to it, with no issues/niggles with respect to the GB or engine till date.
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 07:54   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia Sonet Facelift to get ADAS features, 360 camera.

Quote:
ADAS features for Kia Sonet will be relatively fewer, in comparison to new Seltos that has 17 autonomous ADAS Level 2 features
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th August 2023 at 07:55.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 17:33   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Kia Sonet Facelift to get ADAS features, 360 camera.
360 camera will be a good feature to have.
I'm feeling lost now - my GTX Plus DAT is expected to be delivered in two weeks. Not sure to go ahead or wait for facelift. Timeline of the facelift launch is the big question.
bionics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 19:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionics View Post
I'm feeling lost now - my GTX Plus DAT is expected to be delivered in two weeks. Not sure to go ahead or wait for facelift. Timeline of the facelift launch is the big question.
If you can, than possibly you should. Unless you really need a car now, the facelift isn’t too far off. The earlier timeline of the launch was set for early next year; however, Kia is clearly facing the heat from the upcoming Nexon facelift and possibly the XUV300 facelift. I’m pretty sure M&M have learnt a lot from the earlier XUV300 & will take it all to make it a good seller this time around.

Nexon on the other hand is scheduled to launch in September. My gut says that we can expect the Sonet facelift just before Diwali. And if they launch ADAS Level 1 or whatever they would like to call it, than for sure it’ll be a big plus in that segment.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 06:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
With respect to maintenance I came across a video from Gagan (also watched others), and he mentions the iMT is next only to traditional MT in terms of reliability.
Can you please share links to the videos you are talking about? I would like to know more about iMT & its nuances.
Old 12th August 2023, 10:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
Can you please share links to the videos you are talking about? I would like to know more about iMT & its nuances.
I guess it was in his review video.

Last edited by 07CR : 12th August 2023 at 10:45.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 06:42   #26
Team-BHP Support

Caught the Sonet facelift testing in Bangalore streets -

Kia Sonet Facelift spotted testing in India-20230820_171715.jpg

Kia Sonet Facelift spotted testing in India-20230820_171606.jpg

Kia Sonet Facelift spotted testing in India-20230820_171143.jpg

Kia Sonet Facelift spotted testing in India-20230820_171217.jpg

Kia Sonet Facelift spotted testing in India-20230820_171146.jpg

Kia Sonet Facelift spotted testing in India-20230820_171140.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 11:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Caught the Sonet facelift testing in Bangalore streets -
Seems like this is the HTX / HTX+ variant in test. The giveaways are,

1. New alloy wheel design - Different from the one that was spotted in the 1st scoop which was similar to the Sonet X-Line. And if we go by the Seltos facelift, the Sonet GT-Line facelift will sport the current X-line's alloys.

2. The body side moulding is in grey finish.

3. Headrest upholstery is in Ivory shade akin to current HTX.

However, it is quite surprising that -

1. The door handles are finished in body-colour ; whereas the current HTX are in chrome.

2. There are front parking sensors and what seems like a camera module just below the bonnet.

Seems like the HTX variant might get some added features this time, as by far it is their best selling model.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 21st August 2023 at 11:29.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 20:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

That looks more like stylized wheel caps like on the Creta S models instead of alloy wheels. I'm guessing due to how uneven that wheel looks on either sides.
Old 28th August 2023, 18:10   #29
BHPian

Hi All,

I am in the market for a compact SUV I know kia Sonet facelift is due but all over the place it is mentioned that it would be launched only by 2024. I believe we had similar news for Nexon but it is going to be launched on Sep 14.

Can we expect the Sonet to be launched in 2023 itself? or it would be launched only by 2014. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 18:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Roc View Post
Can we expect the Sonet to be launched in 2023 itself? or it would be launched only by 2014. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.
Kia India has introduced the electric sunroof in the HTK+ variant of the Sonet.

This indicates that the facelift is a little far away. Having said that, this article mentions about the launch of facelift in Dec 2023:

Source
Knightrider is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks