Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2023, 19:28   #46
BHPian

Re: Mahindra to unveil new pick-up truck in Africa on 15th August, 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
I sincerely hope people around me won't consider a 60-year-old me as nuts for driving this machine around.
Far from nuts, you will be an absolute badass driving it around.

I sincerely hope Mahindra brings this to India, and Indians accept it (and any other lifestyle pickup too, such as an updated iteration of the Xenon when and if Tata brings us one).

An affordable pickup with just enough features and hybrid, electric versions etc. should be present in the Indian market in the near future.
chinchu.c is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 19:45   #47
BHPian

While it looks good, the bonnet angle and headlights layout make it appear more like a reborn Sierra/ Tata pickup to me at least.

I can literally see it with the Old round T badge!
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 21:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Mahindra & Tata lack the boldness of their foreign counterparts. Hyundai & Kia are known for their unreliability in USA and other major markets, Chinese OEMs have to face hurdles due to their nationality, but nothing is stopping those companies from marching ahead, then why should Indian OEMs hold back, they should just learn the tricks of trade from their Korean and Chinese counterparts.
It is a function of time and capital. Japanese imports into the US in the 50's to 70's were considered cheap, poor quality cars. The Koreans started only in 1986, invested about 200mn (in 80's money) in capex.

They grew in scale and size only around 2000 when the giant Alabama plant (single investment of $1bn in 2001 iirc) was initiated and completed in 2004. In 1999 Hyundai sold some 500,000 cars in the US, total market? 16mn.

The point being our own automakers are where the Japanese were in the 60's, Koreans in the 80:s. You will see greater investments in key global markets over the coming decades.
Stribog is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 21:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Looks fantastic. Absolutely bad ass. However if the production launch is 2027, I think it's just too far away. At the pace at which the automobile market is evolving today I just don't think it's going to stand the test of 4 years.

This should be a 2024 launch, latest 2025.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 23:24   #50
BHPian

Mahindra's Futurescape event video at Cape Town

If you fast forward to the below timelines you can see the protypes that were unveiled-

1:48:00 Pik Up segment starts
1:50:00 Pik Up Prototype displayed

3:00:00 Thar.e segment starts
3:11:00 Thar.e Prototype displayed

Last edited by pacman2881 : 16th August 2023 at 23:34.
pacman2881 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 02:57   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Especially when you think about the fact that both Mahindra and Tata have been present in African, LATAM, ASEAN markets for far longer than the Chinese have.

However, today if one looks at automotive brands presents in these markets, many Chinese majors have made their way into top 10 and top 5 in these countries. Think of Mexico, Chile, South Africa, Egypt, Malaysia, Brazil etc. They have cleverly filled the vaccum which was created by developed market brands like GM, Ford and VW de-prioritizing these markets. There is no reason why a Scorpio N or a Tiago EV (as a gateway EV) could not have been launched and been successful in these markets.
Please do not forget the Middle Eastern market, which is now completely dominated by Chinese offerings due to upmarket move of Japanese brands. Every time I see a Chinese car on the roads of middle east, my heart thinks of the lost potential of Indian brands.

Saudi Arabia is one of the few remaining market where Toyota still sells the landcruiser 70 series, and the starting price is around 31 lakh rupees.

Come on Mahindra, you can do it. This new truck is a great competitor potentially.

Mahindra to unveil new pick-up truck in Africa on 15th August, 2023-1166x874-biege-front.jpg
Imran.Syed is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 08:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
I sincerely hope people around me won't consider a 60-year-old me as nuts for driving this machine around.
I know few 60+ peeps driving a Gurkha which is more crude. Age is just a number.
Before getting the Gurkha, I was seriously considering the VCross, but somehow couldn’t justify the onroad price, considering the 2.5 was selling at way lower prices. If the Pick-up is priced right, I wouldn’t mind getting one.
PS: Just entered 40s and by the time I get one, I would turn 43 or 44 depending on the delivery schedule.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 09:32   #53
BHPian

Mahindra may not be selling these like hot cakes in India. It may be successful else where. Dignity of labor is not yet a norm in India. We still crave for false prestige with luxury cars and cannot appreciate a hard working man with a pickup truck as a successful and respected person. Here we get cheap labor and hence nobody cares to do even the simplest jobs by themselves. In USA, You see they are crazy for trucks because they have no options as labor is costly and everyone has to do their jobs. I heard that even well to do people do certain trivial jobs like collecting the shopping carts from parking lots in Walmart.

Also my observation when I see people using trucks in USA is basically to do multiple jobs to pay huge EMIs and truck is a multipurpose vehicle and comes very handy especially when one needs to change hats doing different kinds of jobs.

In India fuel is very costly (pick up trucks are typically gas guzzlers) and also there is not enough parking spaces and with our tiny streets, it becomes a huge issue with manoeuvrability.
Mystic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 11:38   #54
BHPian

I just hope that the same will be released in India as well. The truck looks super cool and I don't mind trading my V-Cross for this. The current generation Mahindra and Tata cars have really made some noise and they have lived up to it.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 17:47   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Mahindra & Tata lack the boldness of their foreign counterparts. Hyundai & Kia are known for their unreliability in USA and other major markets, Chinese OEMs have to face hurdles due to their nationality, but nothing is stopping those companies from marching ahead, then why should Indian OEMs hold back, they should just learn the tricks of trade from their Korean and Chinese counterparts.
You have a good point. The Koreans/Chinese etc are basically mega state owned enterprises or atleast the state plays a big role in them. Ours is mostly Lala owned. The goal here is to somehow pass on the mantle/Empire to the next generation without much damage and therein lies the fear to be bold. We play safe and resort to all sorts of protectionist gimmicks through their hold in the respective ministries. So while we are kings at home we are nothing outside. The Japs/Koreans think of global domination. Therein lies the difference.
Old 21st August 2023, 16:08   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
You have a good point. The Koreans/Chinese etc are basically mega state owned enterprises or atleast the state plays a big role in them. Ours is mostly Lala owned. The goal here is to somehow pass on the mantle/Empire to the next generation without much damage and therein lies the fear to be bold. We play safe and resort to all sorts of protectionist gimmicks through their hold in the respective ministries. So while we are kings at home we are nothing outside. The Japs/Koreans think of global domination. Therein lies the difference.
I don't think that is the issue at all.
There is no risk of bankruptcy for Chinese OEMs - they know if they run into trouble creating a global Chinese brand - the state will have their back. With Hyundai that is not the case anymore, but they had some support in the formative stages. For Indian OEMs they have to borrow at high cost and bear the full risk. Keep in mind many Indian models are not export worthy because of sub 4 m and other nonsensical rules. So often, new models need to be developed for export markets with fundamental changes in things like wheelbase thereby making exports more expensive

Mod Note: Our Mahindra Global Pik Up Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 21st August 2023 at 16:37. Reason: Link to report added
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks