Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2023, 10:17   #31
BHPian

Re: 2023 Toyota Rumion MPV launched in South Africa

I'm surprised to see so much hate for the cross-badging strategy. IMHO, this is clever strategy is the sole reason for the phenomenal turn around for Toyota India.

In one stroke, the strategy has made new products cheaper to build, and sell. It has also improved the viability of Toyota dealerships.

Dealership viability is an important consideration for customers at higher end of the product spectrum. For example, if I had the money, I won't think twice about investing in a Vellfire knowing that Toyota isn't going anywhere.

What's more, Suzuki used to get tax benefits for the Toyota badged Baleno and Brezza in countries like South Africa where Toyota enjoys better tax credits. Brands like VW are following suite now - the new Amarok is just a rebadged Ford Ranger.
buzzy_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 11:17   #32
BHPian

Toyota should correct the supply chains and correct the current waiting periods before rebadging the models . Fronx will be the next.
Old 11th August 2023, 14:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .HEM View Post
I'm waiting for the Land Cruiser to be sold by Maruti. It should be at least 30 lakh less than Toyota

I will be so happy to pick one!
And they should name it GRAND JIMNY.
Gildarts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 16:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Side airbags?

Did the Ertiga get those in some recent updates?

Or did Toyota got the digs on the export spec Ertiga?

Or did they upload the wrong pics by mistake? Since the whole launch is a Photoshop job?
Ertiga and XL6 got side airbags for front seat passengers recently, when the two cars were given the 'facelift'.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 17:00   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
I'm surprised to see so much hate for the cross-badging strategy. IMHO, this is clever strategy is the sole reason for the phenomenal turn around for Toyota India.

Brands like VW are following suite now - the new Amarok is just a rebadged Ford Ranger.
Please check the difference between the Ford Ranger and VW Amarok!

Even if the Amarok is built on the Ranger’s base, a non-car enthusiast will not be able to tell looking at the exterior or interior that the Amarok is nothing but a Ranger because VW spent the additional effort in changing the exterior and interior of the Amarok. Even if the engines it gets are the same 2.0L bi-turbo and 3.0L V6 from Ford. The VW also gets Ford’s 2.3L Ecoboost Petrol which the Ranger itself does not get in Australia!

I have no problem if either Toyota or Maruti Suzuki follow the same procedure. But just taking the car off one brand changing the logos, changing a small plastic grill and bumper and selling it as another car is what is causing people to hate this cross-badging! No doubt it has saved Toyota India a lot of investment which they instead used to bring their hybrid powertrain in the mass-market.

A Virtus/Slavia and Taigun/Kushaq are also cross-badging efforts but it’s much deeper (both exterior and interiors are significantly different) and similar to the Ranger/Amarok, that’s why you see no one complaining about their cross-badging!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 11th August 2023 at 17:10.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 12:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post

Only except, it seems like Toyota isn't offering much to swap!
True. A Toyota Corolla and a rebadged version from Maruti would have been nice.

Mod's Note: Please quote only the part of the post that is needed to set the context.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks